Photo

Now playing: DVD movies, Windows audio files on Ubuntu Linux

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Poll: Now playing: DVD movies, Windows audio files on Ubuntu Linux (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Goodmove or Bad thing.

1. Goodmove. (5 votes [41.67%])

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

2. Badthing. (2 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. Bit of both. (4 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

4. Undecided (1 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Waltish

Waltish

Guru

• Hero
  • 14,219 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:50 AM

http://www.computerw...rc=news_ts_head

September 15, 2008 (Computerworld)

Life just got easier for users of the downloadable or boxed retail versions of the Ubuntu Linux 8.04 operating system who want easy and cheap ways of adding DVD playback and improved audio capabilities to their machines.

Inexpensive add-on applications that will provide audio codecs and a DVD player to expand the multimedia capabilities of the four-year-old Linux operating system are now available for purchase in the Ubuntu online store.

Previously, users of the freely downloaded or boxed versions of the Ubuntu Linux 8.04 could run into compatibility troubles while trying to play DVD movies or some types of audio tracks on their computers.

That was because many DVD player applications and audio codec files are proprietary, fee-based and owned by the vendors that created them, making them impossible to include for free in Ubuntu products.

Canonical Ltd., the commercial sponsor of Ubuntu Linux, said today that it has reached deals with two software vendors, Cyberlink and Fluendo, to sell their DVD player and audio codec applications directly to consumers through the online store. The products are already installed under previous licensing agreements for many laptop and desktop computers that are sold preloaded with Ubuntu Linux from hardware vendors, according to Ubuntu.

"It is important to us that no matter how you choose to access Ubuntu, pre-installed or as a free download, that you can have a similarly rich experience," wrote Gerry Carr, Canonical's marketing manager, in a blog entry today. "The vast majority of our current users will have installed Ubuntu themselves. These users should also be allowed legal DVD and media playback and so we have built a way of letting them do this."

Carr said in an interview that some open-source projects have tried to tackle the missing codec and DVD player issues but that such reuse of the codecs is not necessarily legal.

"They've found a technical work-around, but it hasn't been legally verified," he said. "This is a way to use your Ubuntu Linux distro and legally play back your music and DVDs. At some point, somebody's got to pay these codec providers" for use of their products.

The complications of trying to find, install and maintain the proper audio codecs for Linux operating systems like Ubuntu has long been one of the main consumer complaints about the open-source OS. In many cases, it can be discouraging to deal with the not-so-easy-to-configure audio capabilities, especially when compared with Microsoft Corp.'s Windows and Apple Inc.'s Macintosh computer operating systems.

The Cyberlink PowerDVD software sells for $49.95 in the Ubuntu store and allows users to play commercial DVDs on the latest version of Ubuntu Linux, v8.04. OpenGL driver support for graphics hardware is also required.

From Fluendo, two audio codec applications are available in the store. The basic Windows Media and MP3 Playback Pack provides plug-ins for the most common Windows Media formats, including Windows Media Audio Decoder (Windows Media 7, 8, 9, 10, Pro, Lossless and Speech), Windows Media Video Decoder (Windows Media 7, 8, 9 and VC1), Windows Media MMS Protocol Support, Windows Media ASF Demuxer and MP3 Audio Decoder. It retails in the store for about $25.

Also available is the Fluendo Complete Playback Pack, which adds a wider assortment of needed codecs for more file compatibility. The Complete Playback Pack retails for $39.95.

Ubuntu has been selling boxed versions of its Linux operating system in Best Buy stores since July.
The new Ubuntu store offerings will allow users to eliminate audio and movie compatibility problems on their computers with single-click installation procedures, Carr said. "This has been a problem for consumers in the past," he said. "With this, you can play anything ... with no restrictions at all."

This scenario doesn't mean that Ubuntu is looking to find ways to make consumers pay to use Ubuntu, Carr said. "We're never going to make you pay for anything that is fundamental to the operating system," he noted. "You do need this to play DVDs. You do need this to play certain types of audio.

"We are not diametrically opposed to anyone selling software" to add on for Ubuntu users, he continued. "We will be adding additional software to that store as we can. It's entirely optional. It's building that ecosystem."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shuttleworth was always going to makes a buck out of Ubuntu which is no bad thing, he has brought free/cheap secure and feature rich software to millions of people, particularly in the third world , so who could begrudge him getting a return on the millions he has spent.
I understand that some OSS , FOSS and FLOSS supporters wont like this just as some of them don't like wine .

Their reason for not liking it would mostly stem from idea that too much proprietary development of apps for Linux could displace the Free Liber apps in distros but as stated in the article its an option and one that is bought, its not just bundled in to the normal distro and the free as in beer distro is still free.
Personally I don't see it as a bad thing in and of itself, and it will assist Linux in its migration to the average users desktop.
w

? After All This Time ?

.....<--{ Always }-->

#2 tmccoy

tmccoy

Primarch

• Lurker
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:36 PM

Good move to make it simpler to install a supported package set with proprietary drives at a fee for the average linux user. ...or like the rest of us, you go hunting for playback software and the necessary libraries for DVD playback. I've never had too many issues, but them I fairly content using MPlayer from the command line!

#3 slimdog360

slimdog360

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:01 PM

I've heard one of the future releases of Ubuntu will be called "Leaping Linspire"

I for one welcome our new chicken overlord.

#4 Waltish

Waltish

Guru

• Hero
  • 14,219 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:05 PM

Not quite the same at this point it time , the Ubuntu Distro is free and the paid for proprietary package is an option, Linspire was a different kettle of fish. If Ubuntu does change in the future in a way that imitates Linspire (which has been bought by Xandros) I don't think I will be as supportive, lets hope they don't {:)

? After All This Time ?

.....<--{ Always }-->

#5 eckythump

eckythump

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:43 PM

How quaint. :) FreeBSD seems quite happy to include libdvdread/libdvdcss/win32-codecs in its standard package management system. But I suppose it's reasonable for them to provide something that's definitely legal and without ambiguity to cater for the less clueful/determined/resourceful users.
One good thing about V3 is that I no longer have to see this shit. :D

#6 Waltish

Waltish

Guru

• Hero
  • 14,219 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 12:21 AM

How quaint. :)

FreeBSD seems quite happy to include libdvdread/libdvdcss/win32-codecs in its standard package management system.

But I suppose it's reasonable for them to provide something that's definitely legal and without ambiguity to cater for the less clueful/determined/resourceful users.

Have no idea what BSD has got to do with this thread, But then I have become accustomed to the BSD mob gate crashing threads to promote their OS of choice.

? After All This Time ?

.....<--{ Always }-->

#7 Midnighter

Midnighter

Titan

• Atomican
  • 28,666 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 12:30 AM

How quaint. :)

FreeBSD seems quite happy to include libdvdread/libdvdcss/win32-codecs in its standard package management system.

But I suppose it's reasonable for them to provide something that's definitely legal and without ambiguity to cater for the less clueful/determined/resourceful users.

Have no idea what BSD has got to do with this thread, But then I have become accustomed to the BSD mob gate crashing threads to promote their OS of choice.

Waly, I think was his way of saying, linux already has the codec and dvd playing stuff (as does BSD), but Ubuntu is choosing to use an alternative instead, when there already exists the means. I kinda agree, but can see how some would prefer the more "legal" means of doing things. Reminds me of the folk who prefer Mandriva's "Powerpack" version, with legal codecsa, and DVD player built in. Some just prefer the "peace of mind", even tho other means of doing the same exist.
Marcus Aurelius: ‘Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.’

#8 Waltish

Waltish

Guru

• Hero
  • 14,219 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 12:38 AM

I suppose I have come to expect one or more of the BSD thug's to turn up and hijack or get locked any thread that highlights non BSD operating systems.

But really BSD has got nothing to do with this, Its about Ubuntu Linux {:))

PS: If you want an example of BSD thuggery in action just look here
http://forums.atomic...amp;#entry19275

And that's just since the change to V3, there is plenty more at the old Atomic.

w

? After All This Time ?

.....<--{ Always }-->

#9 eckythump

eckythump

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 11:03 PM

I'm no ta BSD thug. :) There's things I like and dislike about both BSD and linux. I was merely pointing out that while ubuntu are going about it this way, FreeBSD don't seem to have any real concerns about the legality of such things. And if it makes you feel better, feel free to s/FreeBSD/gentoo/g because they don't seem to ahve any issues, either, as libdvdcss/libdvdread/win32codecs are included in their portage system, too.

#10 NagChampa

NagChampa

Overlord

• Hero
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 11:39 PM

I suppose I have come to expect one or more of the BSD thug's to turn up and hijack or get locked any thread that highlights non BSD operating systems.

w

Waltish, the only time I EVER see you posting in here is when you're bitching about other people's posts.

Do you add any on topic content yourself? Or are you just a self assigned topic monitor?

For the record, I don't think BSD has anything to do with this thread. Personally, I think if a company wishes to sell a proprietary app for linux, why the fuck not? It offers a fully licensed software product (of which some alternatives can be obtained free, without the patent licenses), and does so through a method that doesn't break the GPL rules. Just because a system is running a linux kernel doesn't mean it shoudln't run proprietary software.
I roll 20's bitches...

#11 Waltish

Waltish

Guru

• Hero
  • 14,219 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 06:39 AM

w

Waltish, the only time I EVER see you posting in here is when you're bitching about other people's posts.

Do you add any on topic content yourself? Or are you just a self assigned topic monitor?

For the record, I don't think BSD has anything to do with this thread. Personally, I think if a company wishes to sell a proprietary app for linux, why the fuck not? It offers a fully licensed software product (of which some alternatives can be obtained free, without the patent licenses), and does so through a method that doesn't break the GPL rules. Just because a system is running a linux kernel doesn't mean it shoudln't run proprietary software.

Well this post for one proves you wrong as I originated it , and the op wasn't a bitch about anyone, get some time up because I don't reckon you have seen enough of my posts on Atomic to be able to claim they were all me bitching.

? After All This Time ?

.....<--{ Always }-->

#12 Waltish

Waltish

Guru

• Hero
  • 14,219 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 06:41 AM

I'm no ta BSD thug. :) There's things I like and dislike about both BSD and linux.

I was merely pointing out that while ubuntu are going about it this way, FreeBSD don't seem to have any real concerns about the legality of such things.

And if it makes you feel better, feel free to s/FreeBSD/gentoo/g because they don't seem to ahve any issues, either, as libdvdcss/libdvdread/win32codecs are included in their portage system, too.

What has BSD got to do with anything in this thread except the fact that you introduced it.

? After All This Time ?

.....<--{ Always }-->

#13 eckythump

eckythump

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 05:06 PM

What has BSD got to do with anything in this thread except the fact that you introduced it.

Dude, I'm not here to sing the praises of BSD and slam linux, it's not my thing.

So please, accept that. It may not be the case with others, but it is with me.

And I have to ask, did you even read my last post? Because it really appears like you didn't comprehend what I was trying to say, and you've just got upset because I mentioned BSD.

If I had've posted and said "gentoo linux" instead of FreeBSD, would you have reacted in the same way?

I've been using BSD a long time. I like it, it's where I have the most experience and familiarity. I will comment on things from time to time, and when I do, it's usually going to be from the perspective of a BSD user.

If you think that because my operating system of choice isn't GNU/Linux, then I'm not entitled to make a comment or express an opinion, then with all due respect, fuck you.

Please don't draw me into this linux vs. BSD bullshit, it's not for me.

Thank you, that is all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users