• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Squidy

Squidy

Lemon Tart

• Hero
  • 43,780 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:09 AM

I run Vista x64 and I used to have a lot of free memory as I'm using 8gb. However recently I look at my memory usage and it caches it all. As soon as I boot up my computer it just caches everything and leaves me with no free memory, even if I'm not running anything big. I turned on my computer last night to test it and it says Total 8189 Cached 7215 Free 46 Is there any way to get it to stop caching at all? I only have the bare windows programs starting up at bootup too

#2 kikz

kikz

Canelé

• Hero
  • 19,267 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:40 AM

Refer to the trusty Jeff Atwood.

http://www.codinghor...ves/000688.html

or turn off Superfetch.

In previous versions of Windows, system responsiveness could be uneven. You may have experienced sluggish behavior after booting your machine, after performing a fast user switch, or even after lunch. Although too many carbohydrates might slow you down after lunch, your computer slows down for different reasons. When you're not actively using your computer, background tasks— including automatic backup and antivirus software scans— take this opportunity to run when they will least disturb you. These background tasks can take space in system memory that your applications were using. After you start to use your PC again, it can take some time to reload your data into memory, slowing down performance.

SuperFetch understands which applications you use most, and preloads these applications into memory, so your system is more responsive. SuperFetch uses an intelligent prioritization scheme that understands which applications you use most often, and can even differentiate which applications you are likely to use at different times (for example, on the weekend versus during the week), so that your computer is ready to do what you want it to do. Windows Vista can also prioritize your applications over background tasks, so that when you return to your machine after leaving it idle, it's still responsive.

This isn't a new concept, of course. But Vista treats system memory like a cache much more aggressively and effectively than any other version of Windows. As alluded to in the above lunch anecdote-- and as you can see from the Task Manager screenshot above-- Windows XP has no qualms whatsoever about leaving upwards of a gigabyte of system memory empty. From a caching perspective, this is unfathomable. Vista tries its damndest to fill that empty system memory cache as soon as it can.

Edited by kikz, 25 February 2009 - 10:42 AM.

#3 lew~

lew~

Banoffee Pie

• Atomican
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:10 AM

Working as intended, have you noticed a decrease in performance?

#4 Squidy

Squidy

Lemon Tart

• Hero
  • 43,780 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:15 PM

Noticed quite a large drop in performance :) Thanks Kikz, that fixed it.

#5 robzy

robzy

Lemon Tart

• Hero
  • 42,747 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:46 PM

Noticed quite a large drop in performance :)

Are you sure about that?

The linux kernel has been using memory effectively like this for years, and it was part of the reason a linux system was so responsive. I was quite happy when I upgraded to Vista and found it doing the same thing, there's no point in having a bunch of free memory.

A fresh vista install uses appr 1gig of RAM, leaving Vista with 7gb which it can load up with "just in case" stuff. As far as I know there is little-to-no performance impact when you load up a program that Vista doesnt expect and has to overwrite some of that 7gb of RAM.

Rob.

#6 Squidy

Squidy

Lemon Tart

• Hero
  • 43,780 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:04 PM

Yeah, due to the programs I use it makes some parts painfully slow if its cached windows memory. It pisses me off. I turned the caching off and now my computer is flying along again.

#7 robzy

robzy

Lemon Tart

• Hero
  • 42,747 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:19 AM

Yeah, due to the programs I use it makes some parts painfully slow if its cached windows memory. It pisses me off. I turned the caching off and now my computer is flying along again.

To be perfectly honest I'm unconvinced :P I can't see how cached memory could slow things down at all.

What programs are you using?

Rob.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users