• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 vman69au

vman69au

Serf

• Lurker
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:10 PM

I have my 64 Bit Vista OS installed on a single Partition on a RAID 5 array using MOBO raid. I don't want to do a fresh Vista install as I have just spent a week putting all my software onto the new system. I have now decided I don't want RAID 5 for my OS. Is it possible to move this OS to a new single HDD drive without re installing everything? If so what tools do I need to image/backup the current OS and software so that I can re image it back to a new drive ? Also I would like to install other OS's like XP onto the system Do I need to create multiple partitions on the single drive for this ? I'm a bit of a noob at this so any step by step help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 wilsontc

wilsontc

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,242 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:14 PM

Nope, you're stuffed. One thing you could try would be to get an image creating program such as Acronis True Image or Ghost, remove all disk and storage devices under Window's device manager, create the image and then dump that image to your hard drive. What is most likely to happen is that your computer BSODs, but it's worth a shot. You might waste less time reinstalling rather than messing around trying to save what you have though.
emccat, Sep 23 2008: you could build like 40 probably more space shuttles or reserch a new type of ion drive (i mean i have come up with a working in theory proptype design AND IM 14) i mean really you'd think that you'd try to settle on the moon at least for all the minerals and crap there.

#3 vman69au

vman69au

Serf

• Lurker
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:34 AM

Why could I not say use Acronis to do one of the following Either image/backup the C: drive partition to a USB external disk, then unplug raid array. Plus in new single HDD, reboot PC. use acronis rescue disc, restore the backed up C: partion from USB onto the single drive. or use the clone disk tool in Acronis to clone the C: drive Partition onto a new disk. Clone make the new disk bootable. Then unplug raid array and restart PC ?

#4 wilsontc

wilsontc

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,242 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:30 PM

Because of the way Windows' HAL works. It can't boot from a device that uses a different driver than where it was installed to. By all means give it a shot, but I think you're looking at a reinstall. Your method would work fine on Unix systems such as FreeBSD, Mac or Linux, but not on Windows.
emccat, Sep 23 2008: you could build like 40 probably more space shuttles or reserch a new type of ion drive (i mean i have come up with a working in theory proptype design AND IM 14) i mean really you'd think that you'd try to settle on the moon at least for all the minerals and crap there.

#5 vman69au

vman69au

Serf

• Lurker
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:52 PM

Ok good news. It can be done. Steps are easy and as follows: 1. I installed new Samsung 1TB Spinpoint into PC. Connected it to SATA port on the RAID controller that my RAID 5 was running on. 2. Boot PC, Run Acronis True Image Home 2009 3. Run Clone Disk in manual mode. Select source disc. existing raid 5 C: drive. 4. Select Target disc as new Samusmg drive. 5. Hit start button. 6. C: Drive partion is locked and PC reboots 7. Acronis TI starts without booting into windows. Clone process starts 8. About 1 hour slater it tells me its done and press any key to power off PC 9. With PC off unplug raid 5 array but leave new Cloned disc on same RAID controller. (do not go into motherboard and disable raid) 10. Start PC. PB boots to windows. Deep breath and Tada it worked like a champ. 11. Tuned of PC. Plugged in 2 of disks that were part of raid 5 array 12. Reboot and press CTL-I go into raid bios setup. Delete the raid 5 array. Create new raid 0 array by slecting 2 drives just plugged back in. 13. Follow steps to finish creating raid. PC reboots 14. Once in Vista go to disk manager and initialize the new raid array with an MBR. Then create a partition, assign drive letter and format. 15. Move Page file, search index location, adobe scratch disks etc.. to new raid 0 and BAM im done All up about 2 hours, with one hour of that watching dexter on foxtel while clone occured. Very impressed with Acronis and how simple it was. I think HAL did not have issues becuase I did not diasble raid and plugged new disk into same contoler so no windows driver issues. Hope this helps someone else. OS feels much snappier on single Samsung spinpoint than the RAID 5 array.

#6 Lambo

Lambo

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 22,977 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:15 AM

Ok good news. It can be done. Steps are easy and as follows:

1. I installed new Samsung 1TB Spinpoint into PC. Connected it to SATA port on the RAID controller that my RAID 5 was running on.
2. Boot PC, Run Acronis True Image Home 2009
3. Run Clone Disk in manual mode. Select source disc. existing raid 5 C: drive.
4. Select Target disc as new Samusmg drive.
5. Hit start button.
6. C: Drive partion is locked and PC reboots
7. Acronis TI starts without booting into windows. Clone process starts
8. About 1 hour slater it tells me its done and press any key to power off PC
9. With PC off unplug raid 5 array but leave new Cloned disc on same RAID controller. (do not go into motherboard and disable raid)
10. Start PC. PB boots to windows. Deep breath and Tada it worked like a champ.
11. Tuned of PC. Plugged in 2 of disks that were part of raid 5 array
12. Reboot and press CTL-I go into raid bios setup. Delete the raid 5 array. Create new raid 0 array by slecting 2 drives just plugged back in.
13. Follow steps to finish creating raid. PC reboots
14. Once in Vista go to disk manager and initialize the new raid array with an MBR. Then create a partition, assign drive letter and format.
15. Move Page file, search index location, adobe scratch disks etc.. to new raid 0 and BAM im done

All up about 2 hours, with one hour of that watching dexter on foxtel while clone occured. Very impressed with Acronis and how simple it was.

I think HAL did not have issues becuase I did not diasble raid and plugged new disk into same contoler so no windows driver issues.

Hope this helps someone else.

OS feels much snappier on single Samsung spinpoint than the RAID 5 array.

Good job on getting it working. Thanks for letting us know!

#7 wilsontc

wilsontc

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,242 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:09 PM

Ok good news. It can be done. Steps are easy and as follows:

1. I installed new Samsung 1TB Spinpoint into PC. Connected it to SATA port on the RAID controller that my RAID 5 was running on.
2. Boot PC, Run Acronis True Image Home 2009
3. Run Clone Disk in manual mode. Select source disc. existing raid 5 C: drive.
4. Select Target disc as new Samusmg drive.
5. Hit start button.
6. C: Drive partion is locked and PC reboots
7. Acronis TI starts without booting into windows. Clone process starts
8. About 1 hour slater it tells me its done and press any key to power off PC
9. With PC off unplug raid 5 array but leave new Cloned disc on same RAID controller. (do not go into motherboard and disable raid)
10. Start PC. PB boots to windows. Deep breath and Tada it worked like a champ.
11. Tuned of PC. Plugged in 2 of disks that were part of raid 5 array
12. Reboot and press CTL-I go into raid bios setup. Delete the raid 5 array. Create new raid 0 array by slecting 2 drives just plugged back in.
13. Follow steps to finish creating raid. PC reboots
14. Once in Vista go to disk manager and initialize the new raid array with an MBR. Then create a partition, assign drive letter and format.
15. Move Page file, search index location, adobe scratch disks etc.. to new raid 0 and BAM im done

All up about 2 hours, with one hour of that watching dexter on foxtel while clone occured. Very impressed with Acronis and how simple it was.

I think HAL did not have issues becuase I did not diasble raid and plugged new disk into same contoler so no windows driver issues.

Hope this helps someone else.

OS feels much snappier on single Samsung spinpoint than the RAID 5 array.

Good job on getting it working. Thanks for letting us know!

Way to go Acronis! I'm glad I was wrong :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users