• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Hlass

Hlass

Guru

• Hero
  • 14,838 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:10 PM

My mother found a check in a drawer from 2000 made out to me. It's for $210 and I have no idea why I didn't put it into my account but... Can I still do so?

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains

And the women come down to cut up what remains

Roll on your rifle, blow out your brains

And go to your God like a soldier.

#2 moist

moist

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:14 PM

Yep, 6 months I think, although that may have changed.

Apparently some institutions are 18 months and government cheques have no expiry.

So it says here.

Edited by moist, 08 May 2009 - 08:20 PM.

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

#3 NightOwl

NightOwl

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,832 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:43 PM

as per the cheques act, a cheque is stale after 15 months. government cheques, bank cheques and bank drafts have no expiry date, unless otherwise stated on the cheque. normally, the drawer of a cheque is obliged to compensate you for the value of the cheque once it's deemed stale, but the statute of limitations states that the drawer is discharged from debt on an unpresented cheque after a period of 6 years, so the cheque you have is totally worthless.
Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition No. 76

#4 1shot1kill

1shot1kill

Immortal

• Banned
  • 64,938 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:44 PM

as per the cheques act, a cheque is stale after 15 months. government cheques, bank cheques and bank drafts have no expiry date, unless otherwise stated on the cheque.

normally, the drawer of a cheque is obliged to compensate you for the value of the cheque once it's deemed stale, but the statute of limitations states that the drawer is discharged from debt on an unpresented cheque after a period of 6 years, so the cheque you have is totally worthless.

Unless it's from Paul McCartney. :p
"Why, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..." The average rounds expended per kill with the M16 in Vietnam was 50,000. Snipers averaged 1.3 rounds. The cost difference was $2300 v. 27 cents. Certa Cito

#5 LogicprObe

LogicprObe

Colossus

• Banned
  • 66,256 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:44 PM

Yes.............and no.

#6 robzy

robzy

Immortal

• Hero
  • 42,886 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:46 PM

as per the cheques act, a cheque is stale after 15 months. government cheques, bank cheques and bank drafts have no expiry date, unless otherwise stated on the cheque.

normally, the drawer of a cheque is obliged to compensate you for the value of the cheque once it's deemed stale, but the statute of limitations states that the drawer is discharged from debt on an unpresented cheque after a period of 6 years, so the cheque you have is totally worthless.

That's not strictly true.

While virtually zero, the paper it's written on is worth something :P

(Also, you know a lot about cheques :P)

Rob.

#7 NightOwl

NightOwl

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,832 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:47 PM

perhaps i should have mentioned that these regulations only apply to cheques issued in australia :)
Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition No. 76

#8 LogicprObe

LogicprObe

Colossus

• Banned
  • 66,256 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:48 PM

perhaps i should have mentioned that these regulations only apply to cheques issued in australia :)

Shylock?

edit -

Edited by LogicprObe, 08 May 2009 - 10:50 PM.

#9 NightOwl

NightOwl

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,832 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:50 PM

That's not strictly true.

While virtually zero, the paper it's written on is worth something :P

(Also, you know a lot about cheques :P)

Rob.

funny you should mention that. i once saw someone eat a cheque, in frustration, because it was invalidated. i was tempted to ask if it was tasty, but decided against it :)

#10 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,297 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:41 PM

I think at one point I had a cheque from unimelb that was getting close to 2 years old. They were nice enough to mail me a letter about it, reminding me to go dig it out of a pile of paperwork and cash in o.0
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#11 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,751 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:46 PM

I remember getting a 30c cheque from the commonwealth bank, apparently for a fee reversal.
Put your monkey where your mouth is. These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu. What's On My Mind? http://twitter.com/smadge1 http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

#12 1shot1kill

1shot1kill

Immortal

• Banned
  • 64,938 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:53 PM

I remember getting a 30c cheque from the commonwealth bank, apparently for a fee reversal.

I've had similar when closing accounts.
"Why, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..." The average rounds expended per kill with the M16 in Vietnam was 50,000. Snipers averaged 1.3 rounds. The cost difference was $2300 v. 27 cents. Certa Cito

#13 Laptirp

Laptirp

Champion

• Atomican
  • 6,272 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 01:30 AM

The expiry date of any cheque that I've ever received has been 10 hours maximum. :)

#14 Hlass

Hlass

Guru

• Hero
  • 14,838 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 12:53 PM

Oh well. I suspected as much. I wonder how I forgot to bank it?

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains

And the women come down to cut up what remains

Roll on your rifle, blow out your brains

And go to your God like a soldier.

#15 pappes

pappes

Guru

• Atomican
  • 8,859 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 01:06 PM

Frame it, hang it on the wall.

If anyone asks, them them that was the payment you got from selling the body of the last person who pissed you off.
http://www.coolquiz..../docs/worth.asp
http://soundmedicine...humanWorth.html
My moma always said I was special

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users