• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 TheSecret

TheSecret

Champion

• Banned
  • 6,301 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:15 PM

The evidence I have for this, is in how the following two statements sound. "I met a nice girl the other night, she was 27 years old". That sounds perfectly reasonable. "I met a nice girl the other night, she was 28 years old". That sounds amiss, it doesn't fit at all. "I met a nice woman the other night, she was 28 years old". Back to sounding perfectly reasonable. Additionally, girls seem to stop referring to themselves as girls, and start referring to themselves as women around age 28... So, what are your thoughts on this rather meaningless topic?
The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow-witted man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him. - Tolstoy

#2 robzy

robzy

Immortal

• Hero
  • 42,882 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:19 PM

I feel like you can get away with "girl" up to 30. But there does seem to be a strange barrier at 28, it feels stranger. Rob.

#3 Errorist

Errorist

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,522 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:19 PM

I think that I've never been a girl nor a woman, so I'm inclined to sit back and watch others talk about it. Should be another interesting thread, though. :-p
So it goes.

#4 TheSecret

TheSecret

Champion

• Banned
  • 6,301 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:20 PM

I feel like you can get away with "girl" up to 30. But there does seem to be a strange barrier at 28, it feels stranger.

Glad I'm not the only one :)
The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow-witted man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him. - Tolstoy

#5 The_Psychonaut

The_Psychonaut

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:23 PM

28 is arbitrary. A girl becomes a women through emotional and physical maturity. Trying to attach a number to it is pointless. For example, you wouldn't call a 23 year old factory worker from Swaziland with 4 kids and a life expectancy of 32 a girl.

Edited by The_Psychonaut, 12 August 2009 - 10:24 PM.

No more slogans, no more excuses, no more blinding our eyes and bearing our asses to the world. We have the power, we have the resources, we have the energy. Let's get together and wreck shit.

#6 Kimmo

Kimmo

Titan

• Atomican't
  • 31,812 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:26 PM

So, what are your thoughts on this rather meaningless topic?

I think it'll go on for pages.

#7 TheSecret

TheSecret

Champion

• Banned
  • 6,301 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:31 PM

28 is arbitrary.

A girl becomes a women through emotional and physical maturity. Trying to attach a number to it is pointless.

For example, you wouldn't call a 23 year old factory worker from Swaziland with 4 kids and a life expectancy of 32 a girl.

So, we're being serious now...

Yeah, I agree, it's very much a cultural thing. However, it is also to a large part how people are perceived.

In western society, where most 23 year olds are very immature, even if they have kids and hold a job, they would still be considered a girl by man...

Likewise, there are many teen girls who have an emotional maturity beyond most 30 year old women, who will still be considered girls because of their physical age....

I do find it interesting that the term guys/men is used for men, with boys being seen as somewhat insulting, while girls can be used up until around 30, and often quite a bit later....

Edited by TheSecret, 12 August 2009 - 10:32 PM.

#8 orinjuse

orinjuse

Titan

• Hero
  • 21,872 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:33 PM

28 is arbitrary.

A girl becomes a women through emotional and physical maturity. Trying to attach a number to it is pointless.

For example, you wouldn't call a 23 year old factory worker from Swaziland with 4 kids and a life expectancy of 32 a girl.

The first bit of what he said.

I'd argue that you can call a woman of any age a girl, though. I reckon it depends how you think of them - your wife can still be 'your girl' when she's 45. To everyone else she's a woman.

If a 25 year old is interviewing you for a job, she's a woman. If you're trying to pick her up in a bar, she's a girl. That's probably something to do with misogynistic thought patterns and the male obsession with young women and the paternalistic oppression of womankind and stuff.

In western society, where most 23 year olds are very immature...

Nice generalisation, says the 22 year old.

Edited by orinjuse, 12 August 2009 - 10:38 PM.

Love is knowing your partner would not hesitate to put a bullet in your brainpan at the first sign of zombification.

#9 moist

moist

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:50 PM

The evidence I have for this, is in how the following two statements sound.

"I met a nice girl the other night, she was 27 years old". That sounds perfectly reasonable.

"I met a nice girl the other night, she was 28 years old". That sounds amiss, it doesn't fit at all.

You should cut back on your dosage.
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

#10 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,618 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:58 PM

My mum has lunch every month with her some friends she had as a kid. They ALL call themselves and each other 'girls'. The youngest is over 70.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#11 index680i

index680i

Heavenly Sword

• Atomican
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:00 PM

What does it matter? Girl, Woman? Some Woman/ Girls consider to be Lady's but I think Lady is more formal and respectful to a woman :)

Edited by index680i, 12 August 2009 - 11:05 PM.

- | ASUS P6T-SE LGA1366 X58 | Intel i7-920 | G Skill 6G DDR3 PC16000 | Sapphire HD5870 | Corsair HX-750W | Windows 7 | SAMSUNG - 1TB HDD | Lian Li - PC-P50RSE (RED) Armorsuit | BenQ G2420HD | -

#12 Juggalo Scrub

Juggalo Scrub

Titan

• Hero
  • 29,429 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:04 PM

Girls don't become women when you fuck them? Fair enough...
"To be is to do" - Socrates "To do is to be" - Sartre "Do Be Do Be Do" - Sinatra

#13 index680i

index680i

Heavenly Sword

• Atomican
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:05 PM

Girls don't become women when you fuck them?

Fair enough...

What about Boy's? Men? or Guy?

I am no longer a Boy :P
- | ASUS P6T-SE LGA1366 X58 | Intel i7-920 | G Skill 6G DDR3 PC16000 | Sapphire HD5870 | Corsair HX-750W | Windows 7 | SAMSUNG - 1TB HDD | Lian Li - PC-P50RSE (RED) Armorsuit | BenQ G2420HD | -

#14 TheSecret

TheSecret

Champion

• Banned
  • 6,301 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:06 PM

I don't think woman in the biblical sense has much relevance these days. I'd still consider a 15 year old girl a girl, regardless of if she was a virgin or not.

#15 Juggalo Scrub

Juggalo Scrub

Titan

• Hero
  • 29,429 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:16 PM

Fair enough...

Whats his name?

I don't think woman in the biblical sense has much relevance these days.

I'd still consider a 15 year old girl a girl, regardless of if she was a virgin or not.

I'd simply consider a 15 year old to be jailbait, and as such, wouldn't consider her at all to be worried enough about whether i should call her a girl or a woman...

Edited by Juggalo Scrub, 12 August 2009 - 11:16 PM.

"To be is to do" - Socrates "To do is to be" - Sartre "Do Be Do Be Do" - Sinatra

#16 TheSecret

TheSecret

Champion

• Banned
  • 6,301 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:19 PM

I'd simply consider a 15 year old to be jailbait, and as such, wouldn't consider her at all to be worried enough about whether i should call her a girl or a woman...

Sure.

You brought up the biblical sense of the word, and I just gave one example of why I didn't think it was relevant....

You were basically saying that a girl becomes a woman after she has sex, right?

It's just as easy to use an 18yr old girl as an example.....

Edited by TheSecret, 12 August 2009 - 11:29 PM.

#17 index680i

index680i

Heavenly Sword

• Atomican
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:23 PM

Fair enough...

Whats his name?

I don't think woman in the biblical sense has much relevance these days.

I'd still consider a 15 year old girl a girl, regardless of if she was a virgin or not.

NO! I mean like what about guys dude :P

Like we are Guy/ Man/ Boy.

What would you do there?

#18 Juggalo Scrub

Juggalo Scrub

Titan

• Hero
  • 29,429 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:35 PM

One would have thought that my flippant and overly crass responses to the question shows that i don't think too highly of the question as a topic for a real discussion... In short: The answer to all questions ever posed is "When you put a dick into it". Try it out, many things make more sense this way.

#19 Foods

Foods

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,988 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:37 PM

In short: The answer to all questions ever posed is "When you put a dick into it". Try it out, many things make more sense this way.

Question:

How do I bake a turkey?

Answer:

When you put a dick into it.

Good enough.

'
When life gives you lemons, say "Fuck the lemons" and bail.

#20 LogicprObe

LogicprObe

Colossus

• Banned
  • 66,256 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:41 PM

In short: The answer to all questions ever posed is "When you put a dick into it". Try it out, many things make more sense this way.

Question:

How do I bake a turkey?

Answer:

When you put a dick into it.

Good enough.

'

I prefer chook myself.
Turkey's are a bit tough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users