• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 TheSecret

TheSecret

Banoffee Pie

• Banned
  • 6,301 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:47 AM

Many Asian people have this fold under their eye, giving them a distinctive look. Interestingly, (AFAIK), this fold only exists in people who ethnically come from the Asian geographic region. What is it about this side of the world, that would cause people to develop this fold near their eyes? Even many animals found in the Asia region have this fold, the most famous example probably being siamese cats. Would Australians eventually evolve to have this fold as well, if we were to remain on this content for a long enough period of time? The most popular theory for the fold is that it helps to protect against UV radiation, something Australia is more prone to than most other regions. Assuming that it is possible, and how it works etc, I would guess that the increasing mixing of races would cancel that out before it had a chance to happen...

Edited by TheSecret, 14 August 2009 - 12:48 AM.

The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow-witted man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him. - Tolstoy

#2 plebsmacker

plebsmacker

Canelé

• Hero
  • 25,774 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:56 AM

Define a long enough period of time.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

#3 Lazzarus2nd

Lazzarus2nd

Éclair

• Atomican
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:28 AM

WTF? New Zealanders have darker skin, Africans have Black skin, Japanese are shorter than the norm, the brits dont shower. Every race has a distinction based on their ancestry, why bother analysing it? Instead worry your cranium about where to get the next renewable enrgy source from. Profit.
Rig : eVGA 780i FTW QX9650 @ 4.2 Ghz GTX 295 + 9600GT physx 4GB Team Xtreme 5-5-5 1066 3 x 320 GB WD RAID 0

#4 TheSecret

TheSecret

Banoffee Pie

• Banned
  • 6,301 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 05:07 AM

Lazzarus, I think you may have missed the point of what I was asking :| I'm curious why the fold is only present in humans from that particular reigion, and if Australians would eventually adapt to have a similar fold... On the other hand, native NZ'ers definitly don't, so we could just be too far south maybe...
The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow-witted man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him. - Tolstoy

#5 Director

Director

Lemon Tart

• Hero
  • 37,544 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:37 AM

I'm curious why the fold is only present in humans from that particular reigion, and if Australians would eventually adapt to have a similar fold...

Umm, it's called 'genetics' dude and if the aussie population interbreeds with the asian population enough the yeah it'd probably become a feature.

"The most powerful tool in the hand of the opressor is the mind of the opressed."-- Steve Biko

#6 1shot1kill

1shot1kill

Lemon Tart

• Banned
  • 64,938 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:14 AM

The most popular theory for the fold is that it helps to protect against UV radiation, something Australia is more prone to than most other regions.

If that's the case, why don't Kooris have it?
"Why, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..." The average rounds expended per kill with the M16 in Vietnam was 50,000. Snipers averaged 1.3 rounds. The cost difference was $2300 v. 27 cents. Certa Cito

#7 Fillerbunny

Fillerbunny

Éclair

• Atomican
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:40 AM

From memory it was originally to protect the eyes against the large sand and dust storms of the region.

#8 Elfarch

Elfarch

Banoffee Pie

• Atomican
  • 4,549 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:44 AM

From memory it was originally to protect the eyes against the large sand and dust storms of the region.

Yep, heard that one. Wonder why Berbers and Bedouin don't have em?
LIFE! Gotta be in it to lose it!

#9 Cybes

Cybes

Apple Strudel

• Atomican
  • 15,117 posts
  • Interests:Staying mentally active

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:50 AM

According to Wikipedia:

In children

All humans initially develop epicanthic folds in the womb. Some children lose them by birth, but epicanthic folds may also be seen in young children of any ethnicity before the bridge of the nose begins to elevate.

I don't know why it should be, but I reckon you'll find a pretty good correlation between nasal bridge depth and ethnicity. ie: Asians have a pretty flat nasal bridge, and whiteys don't.

Also, if the thing were present due to UV, glare, or sandstorms, wouldn't you expect to find it amongst Australian aboriginal populations?

Edited by Cybes, 14 August 2009 - 08:52 AM.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea..." - Antoine de Saint Exupery [quoted by Niel DeGrasse Tyson, talking about space travel]

#10 Director

Director

Lemon Tart

• Hero
  • 37,544 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:02 AM

In children

All humans initially develop epicanthic folds in the womb. Some children lose them by birth, but epicanthic folds may also be seen in young children of any ethnicity before the bridge of the nose begins to elevate.

So is it a simply a genetic malfunction that doesn't allow that to happen?

"The most powerful tool in the hand of the opressor is the mind of the opressed."-- Steve Biko

#11 thesorehead

thesorehead

Apple Strudel

• Atomican
  • 8,750 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:16 AM

In children

Cool!

Genetic malfunctions that don't adversely affect survival = diversity. I'd think it'd have to be more than pure mutation though - it's not as though the whole Asian continent was populated from one seed family. Or maybe it was ... but it seems unlikely.
"Be Excellent to each other." - Bill and Ted Got my PS3 - now I need a 360 for teh gaems.

#12 Kimmo

Kimmo

Canelé

• Atomican't
  • 31,810 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:20 AM

I seem to recall it's from the Mongols, who supposedly developed it as an adaptation to protect against snowblindness.

#13 Taranthor

Taranthor

Banoffee Pie

• Atomican
  • 7,941 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:21 AM

In children

Cool!

Genetic malfunctions that don't adversely affect survival = diversity. I'd think it'd have to be more than pure mutation though - it's not as though the whole Asian continent was populated from one seed family. Or maybe it was ... but it seems unlikely.

The human race has ensured that pretty much no genetic malfunction affects survival anymore.

Stupid humans keeping alive people that shouldn't be alive.

#14 ArcaneMagik

ArcaneMagik

Apple Strudel

• Atomican
  • 10,135 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:30 AM

Because God decided to make different people look different. Variety and all that stuff.
Is it possible for a DnD Cleric to be an agnostic? Come on, a pillar of fire raining down on your enemies is hardly proof of a divine being.

#15 Nich...

Nich...

Lemon Tart

• Mod
  • 41,389 posts
  • Interests:Professional Tart

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:32 AM

That really reads like you don't know how genetics/evolution works, TS : \

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#16 Kimmo

Kimmo

Canelé

• Atomican't
  • 31,810 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:36 AM

Are Eskimos/Inuits descended from Mongols, or did they develop the eye thing independently?

#17 bu14-1

bu14-1

Macaron

• Banned
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:48 AM

The most popular theory for the fold is that it helps to protect against UV radiation, something Australia is more prone to than most other regions.

If that's the case, why don't Kooris have it?

That's what I was thinking.

Because God decided to make different people look different. Variety and all that stuff.

Well I think that pretty much according to the Bible we all came from two people, so it wouldn't be like God spontaneously made a heap of different races at the beginning.
My ignore list:

#18 Nich...

Nich...

Lemon Tart

• Mod
  • 41,389 posts
  • Interests:Professional Tart

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:51 AM

I'm not sure if the Bible is going to be seen as an authoritative source by many in this instance.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#19 Elfarch

Elfarch

Banoffee Pie

• Atomican
  • 4,549 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:57 AM

Are Eskimos/Inuits descended from Mongols, or did they develop the eye thing independently?

Supposedly they did migrate from asia. But then so did all the north american indians. Oops, native north americans as they say now. Even though they are long term immigrants that killed off or drove other peoples (that came earlier) south.
LIFE! Gotta be in it to lose it!

#20 DEVERE

DEVERE

Canelé

• Atomican
  • 23,839 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:10 PM

According to many sources I have been skimming through, it appeared in the Eskinos/Inuits due to their living in a harsh icy climate, and was there to protect against the glare from the snow and ice, along with the Mongols who developed it for the same reason.

The Inuits seem to have originated somewhere along the line from the Mongols, but the race separated when some (now Inuits) crossed the Beringian Strait and moved into the Northern Americas. The fold itself seems to have been around long before the last ice age.

The capoid peoples in Africa (who seem to have about 85% Asian DNA) also have the same fold, and this seems to be due to their harsh windy climate and offers some protection from sand storms and bright sunlight... but again, due to their DNA, could be just genetics.

I also found this:

Because of the main staple in the Asian diet. Rice is known as fan, or foundation, of the chinese diet.

Rice, by tself is missing essential amino acids neccesary for proper occullar muscle formation.

Mexicans (central americans) experienced a similar genetic affliction due to their diet consisting mainly of corn.

The disease is known as polagra. When you mix corn and rice, or rice and beans, or corn and beans (any combo, thereof), you complete the amino chain and make a protein...

The effect of polagra has wound itself into the evolutionary chain for so long that the common, modern diet has little effect of revering the occular muscle contraction.

Supposedly they did migrate from asia. But then so did all the north american indians. Oops, native north americans as they say now. Even though they are long term immigrants that killed off or drove other peoples (that came earlier) south.

And there we have another question... why don't ALL native amerindians have the fold.... due to selective breeding maybe?

Edited by DEVERE, 14 August 2009 - 12:12 PM.

Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thainig thu. Cinnidh Scuit saor am fine, Mur breug am faistine, Far am faighear an Lia-Fail, Dlighe flaitheas do ghabhail. - Quote by eveln Maybe the wolf's a vagitarian...let's not start picking on him for his dietary habits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users