• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#61 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,483 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:48 AM

LOL. Yeah, while "cheapest" is always a concern, I'm always a little hesitant about using stores I don't know since "cheapest" can also mean "you won't get your goods for 2 weeks and they'll be packed in flimsy black plastic with no bubble wrap and something will be wrong with them". :) Recommendations are always the best way of finding good stores I've found, which is why I've now bookmarked the store you suggested. :) For me this time when I was deciding who to go through I looked around and PC Case Gear has a great name which is why I used them this time for the bulk of my purchase and they came through great. i-store I hadn't used before but was the only one I could find that had the card I wanted in stock at a reasonable price. Fortunately they also came through for me as well, and seemed quite okay - although there was a lack of communication which disturbed me a little. PCCG sent multiple mails out about the order whereas i-store didn't. Ended up all good though! :D

Edited by Chaos.Lady, 25 June 2010 - 10:49 AM.

In the light universe I have been darkness. Perhaps in the dark zone I can be light...

Take the boat, promise me 
Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#62 Count

Count

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:58 AM

MSY.com.au hasn't failed me so far. And for the best web searcher for PC parts sorted by price, shopbot.com.au

#63 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,483 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:00 AM

MSY.com.au hasn't failed me so far.

But oh dear LORD their website is appalling.

I've heard lots of good things about MSY over the years, but never bought anything from them because I could never find anything I was actually looking for.

In the light universe I have been darkness. Perhaps in the dark zone I can be light...

Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#64 moofactory

moofactory

Champion

• Atomican
  • 7,453 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:04 AM

And for the best web searcher for PC parts sorted by price, shopbot.com.au

So you havnt herd of staticice.com.au ?

You should try it and compare.

#65 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,483 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:05 AM

Yeah, I don't like shotbot much either. I tend to use staticice. :)

Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#66 SacrificialNewt

SacrificialNewt

Titan

• Hero
  • 16,552 posts

We go to MSY usually. IT Estate were good but we haven't gone there in 2.5 years. Believe it or not, Officeworks have been really cheap for external hard drives. If we can wait a week or so for delivery, we also go direct to the big IT suppliers as Spent has a registered business. As for repairs? Nup. If it's under warranty it gets sent back and replaced. Otherwise we just buy a new one. Spent is also very good with soldering and making custom cords if the one he requires either isn't available or is too expensive.

Edited by SacrificialNewt, 25 June 2010 - 11:09 AM.

#67 twinair

twinair

Immortal

• Hero
  • 47,697 posts

MSY to buy my goods and Static Ice to price check. The only way to go. Everything gets repaired by moi.

Edited by twinair, 25 June 2010 - 11:06 AM.

This aint no fuckin' bible study. I didn't come here to save whales. I came here to shake my dick and have a great time.

#68 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 18,023 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:08 AM

Protip: Don't get shit delivered. Place your order, pick it up, pay cash. Not only do you get it sooner, you aren't leaving your pricey tech in the hands of AusPost the Barbarians.
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#69 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,483 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:10 AM

Protip: Don't get shit delivered. Place your order, pick it up, pay cash.

Not only do you get it sooner, you aren't leaving your pricey tech in the hands of AusPost the Barbarians.

Ummm, great advice if you live in a capitol city.

Try getting decent parts at a decent price out here in the sticks... :(

Edited by Chaos.Lady, 25 June 2010 - 11:11 AM.

Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#70 twinair

twinair

Immortal

• Hero
  • 47,697 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:12 AM

Core blimey, you've got legs!
This aint no fuckin' bible study. I didn't come here to save whales. I came here to shake my dick and have a great time.

#71 tantryl

tantryl

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 41,933 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:13 AM

@ladydaywalker - Just curious, as otherwise the price is sort of irrelevant, what was the problem and what did they do to fix it?
"Unless I call you a stupid goddamn liar to your face, I'm being light hearted." - tantryl, to all you evil fucks "Two things. Number one; I get hard when a woman cries. Number two; your daughter will never walk again." - Dr Glenn Richie

#72 SacrificialNewt

SacrificialNewt

Titan

• Hero
  • 16,552 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:14 AM

@ladydaywalker - Just curious, as otherwise the price is sort of irrelevant, what was the problem and what did they do to fix it?

And what mobo was it?

#73 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,483 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:15 AM

Core blimey, you've got legs!

I've got a car too. But the fuel and time cost to spend 6-7 hours round trip to Sydney and back to pick up parts is ridiculous. And getting parts in Newy is impossible if you a. know what you want b. want decent parts and c. want them at a cost that is in any way vaguely reasonable.

Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#74 bowiee

bowiee

Guru

• Hero
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:16 AM

This is my first time on a forum like this but I had to tell someone who cares that I FINALLY had a win with a little PC shop in Brisbane...I went everywhere to get a repair on my mobo but noone seemed to know what was wrong. They kept telling me it was fine. So I tried the little PC shop in Alderley, North of the city, and OMG they fixed it for $85! Least these boys arnt affraid to pull things apart and spend time helping a gal out!!! Thx boyz u rock xoxox

$85, most likely the price of a new motherboard ;)

#75 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,483 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:19 AM

Ummm the price of a new mobo, but not labor to actually put it in place. If it was a mobo change, she got a very good deal. If it was just a dodgy card of some sort or a dodgy HDD the labor would be much less. My guess is HDD replacement. :)

Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#76 tantryl

tantryl

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 41,933 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:23 AM

My money's on a CMOS clearing and component re-seating :P
"Unless I call you a stupid goddamn liar to your face, I'm being light hearted." - tantryl, to all you evil fucks "Two things. Number one; I get hard when a woman cries. Number two; your daughter will never walk again." - Dr Glenn Richie

#77 bowiee

bowiee

Guru

• Hero
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:24 AM

Ummm the price of a new mobo, but not labor to actually put it in place.

If it was a mobo change, she got a very good deal.

If it was just a dodgy card of some sort or a dodgy HDD the labor would be much less.

My guess is HDD replacement. :)

I was thinking a cheap amd board,(which can be around $60) or more likely something they had laying around. :)

EDIT: tantryl has the most likely scenario.

Edited by bowiee, 25 June 2010 - 11:26 AM.

#78 SacrificialNewt

SacrificialNewt

Titan

• Hero
  • 16,552 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:16 PM

If it was a new mobo (unless the exact same specs) and definitely if it was a new HDD, then a Windows re-install would be necessary and that definitely doesn't fit in the $85 market.

#79 vat3r

vat3r

Master

• Atomican
  • 968 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:59 PM

JB Hi-Fi 2/10

Wouldn't replace a dodgy Xbox controller until I finally spoke to the store manager (who apparently "did me a favour"). I don't like being a cunt but it seems to be the only way to deal with some retailers.

#80 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:08 PM

.........lol

Its called Computer Drive :) and I don't think you work there >.< hehehe :P

You're weird... and welcome :)

My money's on a CMOS clearing and component re-seating :P

Yep, that's sound like an hours labor... or minimum workshop fee.

RIG: Phenom II X6 1090T @ 4.0GHz | MSI 990FXA GD-80 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 | MSI Radeon R7 370 | Patriot Pyro SSD 120GB SATAIII | 500GB + 1TB Barracuda's | LG GH22NS70 DVD-RW | Xigmatek Red Scorpion | Corsair HX650W | CM690

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users