• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#1 mark84

mark84

Journeyman

• Hero
  • 5,683 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:22 PM

First up I'd like to thank michael999 for starting the original thread HERE And here's my original thread with awesome sauce ASCII graphs! Link

Alright, below is based loosley on the format that michael999 had started in his thread but with lots more data and info.

*** Please, if you find any info related to this thread or more accurate wattage readings for cards please post the link in here or PM me so that I can update the list. ***

Right, on with the show!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Truth About Graphics Power Requirements V2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok. There is much confusion as to how much power you actually need to run the latest uber card, the answer is not as simple as first thought. It turns out older cards can use more power than newer ones. Any one broadly stating Nvidia or ATI cards suck more juice don't know what they're talking about. It depends on quite a few factors.

These factors include the following:
(In general order of which effects peak power the most to the least)
  • Die size/chip architecture/fabrication process (110nm/90nm/65nm/55nm etc) - Smaller process equals a smaller die, thus less power needed. For example look at the 7900 GTX, it's a 196 mm˛ die size while the X1900XTX is 352 mm˛, both are 90nm, and clocked almost exactly the same but the 7900 GTX draws 36W less. Another example, GTX 280 & 285, same transistor count similar clocks but the GTX285 draws some 28W less. HERE is a graph of how fabrication process sizes can effect power consumption.
  • Software - Different applications or games can influence how much power a card draws. Different visual effects, shader levels, scene complexity and rendering engines all have an affect on power. A good example is Furmark and 3DMark. In this benchmark it is clearly shown how FurMark draws substantially more power than what a game (3DMark) might typically. Also if a game is easy on the CPU then the card can run at it's full potential (both performance and power draw). See this article (Translated to Google English) which shows the difference between cards in various games and benchmarks.
  • Board layout/design - If a 3rd party manufacturer designs their own PCB layout for the video card they can often improve efficiency, through better quality parts or a better design. For example a HD4850 1GB card with a 3rd party designed board consumes 7.6W & 19.2W less than the reference 512MB design at idle & 3D in modes respectively even though it's core is clocked slightly faster and has twice the frame buffer size.
  • Core/Mem clock speeds - Higher clocks equal higher power consumption. (eg look at the difference between the 7900 GTX & GT, both the same GPU and memory but the core and memory are clocked differently, producing a 36W difference. Similar story with the X1900XT/XTX)
  • Amount and type of onboard RAM - Greater amounts of onboard RAM capacity mean greater power consumption. Also newer GDDR typically draws less power GDDR > GDDR2 > GDDR3 > GDDR4 > GDRD5. (eg look at the difference between the X1900XT & X1900XT 256MB model, same in every way except capacity and GDDR3 vs GDDR4 respectively, which results in a 10W drop)
  • Number of monitors attached to the card - This only effects idle power consumption and appears to be a function of what minimum clock speeds the drivers can keep the card at while driving the 2+ monitors. Can more than double idle consumption. Example HERE.

--------------------------------------------------
GFX Card Comparison Table
--------------------------------------------------

These graphs are an attempt to show GFX card power consumption, not what the recommended PSU requirements are, but rather the actual draw of the card. The graphs show peak 3D (unlikely under normal use), typical 3D, 2D and idle power draw where possible.

All readings have been found on the web, you can find where I sourced the data from for a card by looking through the posts I make in this thread when I post updates. If you want URLs for a specific card drop me a PM or post in this thread and I'll gladly send you the URLs I souced it's data from.

Idle consumption - is typically taken in windows at the desktop with nothing happening on screen.
2D consumption - is any load put on a card that's not 3D or GPGPU based tasks. This may include video playback or simply moving windows around on the screen really fast.
Typical 3D consumption - is the typical max 3D draw of your card whilst running a regular game, 3D app or possibly even GPGPU task.
Peak 3D consumtion - should be considered an unlikely and rare case for a GPU. Whilst the card can draw this amount of power if needed, it's only under extreme circumstances (like FurMark benches)

Each card could have between 1 and 8 data sources each with varying amounts of data and perceived accuracy. As such I've devised an arbitrary "data quality" rating which is shown in brackets next to a cards name in the graph pictures. This quality rating helps show how much data I have for a card and it's perceived quality. So the more data there is the higher the quality rating. Extra points are given if the data shows readings close together (thus seem precise) and points are taken away is they are spread out (less precise). Readings from sites like Xbitlabs that take very accurate readings get more bonus points due to their known accuracy of readings.
Readings for a card that has a lower 'data quality' rating might (though unlikely) still be accurate just perhaps not as precise. Conversely, cards with high 'data quality' ratings will be seemingly precise but they still might not be accurate (though more likely are). More on that here. This rating just helps show how accurate and/or precise the data I have for it is. Anything around 10 or higher is strating to be good.

Last thing of note. I've tried to normalise all the readings found at the various websites against cards that have been properly tested (ie at the card itself, PEG slot, PEG power connectors etc) for power draw (eg what xbitlabs mostly does), not just a generic total system score. This should hopefully provide more accurate results for cards with readings that are otherwise of not much use. I look more at the differences between known correct readings and the target setup. If I find a few sites that agree that a setup uses a certain amount more/less than a current known setup, then I plug it in. It's not totally accurate but it's the best I can do with the info available, there's only around a -+15% maximum difference compared to the correct readings, usually <-+10%.
Where I can't find proper readings from a website I've utilised http://www.extreme.o...ucalculator.jsp where possible, they're likely to be above true actual wattages but are still quite accurate compared to TDP ratings from vendors.

Without further a do, the graphs...

Charts sorted by brand/generation
Posted Image

Charts sorted by typical 3D
Charts sorted by idle
Charts sorted by card generation
Or simply scroll down to the second post to see them. URLs are also listed below in the second post

You may also download this CSV file, for easy searching etc.

Analysis
Just looking at single card configs seems to show that there's been a gradual increase in power draw over the generations. Although it appears mainly to be due to more single card dual GPU options coming out, though single card single GPU cards seem to be gradually drawing more each new generation too. However if you look at the mid-low end cards they're staying quite easily under 50W for most card generations. This is mainly due to smaller process technologies and more efficient parts on the PCB that's used with each new generation. So the manufacturers for a similar power envelope can produce faster cards all while charging the same. This is probably done mostly to cater for OEM requirements.

Multi card configs however show quite a marked increase in consumption. One has to wonder when they'll try to cap power consumption for these top end configs. There's only so much you can draw from your power socket!

Getting power to them cards!
For PCI, according to the PCI Local Bus rev 2.3, sections 4.3.4.1 and 4.4.1, "requires that an add-in card must limit its total power consumption to 25 watts (from all power rails)."
"Power Supply Rail Tolerances:
Power Rail Add-in Cards (Short and Long)
3.3 V ±0.3 V 7.6 A max. (system dependent)
5 V ± 5 % 5 A max. (system dependent)
12 V ±5% 500 mA max.
-12 V ±10% 100 mA max."
Info found here http://www.opencores.../2006/02/000435

The AGP 3.0 standard (AGP 8x) can only deliver a maximum of 41.8 W (6A from 3.3V, 2A from 5V, 1A from 12V = 41.8W and an additional 1.24W could come from the 3.3V auxiliary at 0.375A). AGP cards that need an extra power input will have a molex power connector (9800 Pro for example). By adding the four-pin Molex connections, manufacturers extended the life of AGP cards as each supplied 6.5A or 110.5W from these right angle connections (12V + 5V or 17V x 6.5A = 110.5W). This makes a total of 151.8W available to AGP cards with a single molex connector.
Info found here http://www.tomshardw...ners/page5.html

The PCI-Express 1.0 standard allows up to 75w to a card through the PCI-E slot itself, without the need for an additional power connector. But with virtually all mid to high end graphics cards these days requiring more than this they require additional power from a Molex, 6-pin or 8-pin PCI-E power connectors, this is a dead give away that a PCI-E card needs more than 75W to operate stably (7800GT for example). Each 6-pin PCI-E connector (two to three +12V wires and three grounds) can provide another 75W. So a PCI-E 1.0 GFX card with a 6-pin power connector attached can draw up to 150W max, with a dual card setup able to draw up to 300W max between them.

PCI-Express 2.0 offers a doubling of power to discrete cards, up to 150W through the motherboard itself, though not many if any manufacturers have implemented this on their motherboards and not many graphics card manufacturers relying of that so for back wards compatibility they presume PCI-E 1.0 spec slot.

The 2.0 spec also introduced the 8-pin PCI-E power connector. The 8-pin PCI-E power connector has three +12v wires and 5 grounding wires. This means it's rated to deliver 150W to the card. Along with a PCI-E 1.0 slot to provide an extra 75W, a card could draw a total of 225W. This new connector is not to be confused with the EPS 8-pin motherboard power connectors already shipping with most power supplies, it's keyed differently and the polarity is reversed, so you really don't want to try and force the wrong connector in.

Often with current high end cards they will have both a 6-pin and an 8-pin power input plugs so the card can use the maximum 300W (75W from mobo + 75W from 6-pin + 150W from 8-pin) that the ATX spec(?) allows for an expansion slot to utilise.

On some rare enthusiast limited edition cards they could go 'out of spec' by using more than 300W for the card to enable the full rendering potential of the card. E.G. the Asus Mars has two 8-pin power sockets for 375W (75W + 150W + 150W) total. Or the Asus Ares which has two 8-pin and one 6-pin connectors for a total of 450W (75W + 150W + 150W + 75W) total possible!

You can find out more on PC internal power connectors HERE

Overclocking
Many of you must be wondering how much power a card draws once overclocked. Power consumption does not change a great deal when overclocking (just look at the many OC results in the graphs), a rough guide is to say the power consumption increases at a slightly lesser rate than the overclock. So a ~6% overclock will cause ~4% increase in power and so on. But use this only as a rough guide, and do not count on it if you are in a small power situation such as a small form factor or very small PSU. Plus this may vary with newer architectures, but should remain fairly consistent.

Eg On the HD4870X2, increasing the core clock by 50MHz causes an extra 11W at peak power draw. 6.6% increased clock speed for a 4.16% increase in power draw.
On the GTX 285 a 54MHz clock increase caused an 11W increase in power draw. 8.3% increased clocks for a 7.3% power increase.

With volt modding power draw gets insane quite quickly. See the examples I mention below for what I mean, but needless to say if you're doing any form of volt modding, make sure you have a beefy PSU that's up for the task.

Eg On the 9800GTX, increasing the core clock by 200MHz and increasing the voltage by 0.308v caused peak power draw to increase by 75W. 68.9% increase in peak power draw for 29.6% increased clocks.
On the HD3870, increasing core clock by 224MHz and voltage by 0.38v causes a extra 100W increase in power draw. 123.5% increase in power draw for 28.9% higher clocks.

Active Power Management
The latest generation of cads to come out (GTX 500 series and HD 6900 series) are the first from both Nvidia and AMD that actively limit the total card power usage to a predifined level.

Nvidia for example is limiting its GTX 580 through hardware by measuring the draw of current into the card (though I believe is activated by drivers in particular applications like FurMark) to limit the cards draw to 300W. With out this feature the card will easily draw in excess of 300W+.

AMDs route is less accurate but isn't application specific and thus a bit more elegant a solution. They have tested their GPUs and found how much power each part of the chip uses, from this they've created an algorithm to estimate power draw based on usage of each part of the GPU. Once the limit is reached (eg 250W for the HD6970) the drivers down clock the core to reduce power draw. They do how ever provide in the drivers a slider to allow a + or - 20% to the base value. Eg for the 250W limit of the HD6970 this means you can alter the power limit from 200W up to 300W. There's also talk that 3rd party card makers can alter this 20% figure to anything they like. Time will tell.

Multicard configurations
By SLI/CF's very nature you need to cater for x number of cards, so you can quite easily times the required wattage by the number of cards you'll have in your setup. But as you can see in the graphs this is somewhat dependant on one factor, scaling. At the moment multi card configs depend heavily on driver optimisations to utilise all the resources at their disposal. This is very difficult to do though so we don't see linear improved performance and power draw as we add cards. eg GTX285, GTX285 SLI and GTX285 3x SLI.

Things like Lucids Hydra technology could help bring linear performance (and thus power draw), but if or until that tech takes off it'll remain less than linear for the foreseeable future.

So when looking for a power supply to power these configurations make sure they can cater for a bit more (50W at least depending on card choice) than x times the single cards requirements (plus other PC components), this will ensure stability and allow for some overclocking head room (which I'm sure you'll be doing with these setups ;D)

This article is a little old but still relevant today. What'll happen if your power supply isn't powerful enough for your setup? http://www.extremete...,1932958,00.asp A must read if you're going to build a new, top end SLI/CF PC. So make sure your PSU is designed correctly and can supply the correct amount of amps on the required rails. See links at the end of this post for certified PSUs.

Recommendations
If you'd like to find out how much power (in watts) your current (pun!) PC uses at full load, the eXtreme PSU Calculator found here http://www.extreme.o...ucalculator.jsp is a good tool to help you find that out.

So now for the recommended PSU specs. For starters its recommended that you get a quality power supply, yum-cha brands often don't perform to their rated wattage. 500W PSUs may only be able to actually reliably output 400-450W. Antec, Silverstone, Enermax and OCZ are generally quite reliable PSU's. But there are many other brands that will do the job. There are instances of people using a 6800 Ultra with a 250w PSU. But they know what they are doing and have taken special care in the choice of hardware and monitoring, so it is not recommended. For cards drawing under 200w I suggest a 600w PSU, and for cards using over 200w to invest in a 750W+ PSU (while also using CPUs/configs from around the same generation). But in SLI/CF mode with any card from the Geforce 200 or Radeon 4000 series it is recommended that you power it with no less than a good quality 600w PSU. Of course all this depends on your CPU and other components which have to share the available power, which is another section on its own!

These recommendations take into account the usual configuration that a modern computer uses, such as multiple hard drives, DVD burners, fans, and many expansion cards and other ad-ons. So with these recommendations do not be afraid to have multiple devices.

See here http://www.slizone.c..._build_psu.html and here http://ati.amd.com/t...ldyourown2.html for what PSUs nVidia and ATI certify for use with their multicard configurations. Generally something with 34 amps on the 12 volt rails. And here http://ati.amd.com/p...ersupplies.html for ATI single card PSU recommendations.

You can also check out Atomic’s Most Recommended Psu’s Thread for an up to date list of recommended PSU's.

Edited by mark84, 13 May 2012 - 12:22 AM.

Desktop: i7 4770K @ 4.4GHz | R9 295X2 | 16GB RAM | 120GB + 250GB SSDs | 2x 4TB HDD in RAID1

Server: AMD E-350 | 50GB SSD | 2x 2TB RAID1

Firefox AtomicMPC Menu | The Truth About Graphics Power Requirements V2 | Desktop build log

#2 mark84

mark84

Journeyman

• Hero
  • 5,683 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:23 PM

Reserving this post for graph images.

You may need to refresh this page to update the graphs below. Your browser may be caching an older version.

Chart of cards sorted by peak 3D power draw
GFXpowerchartby3d.png

Chart of cards sorted by card generation
GFXpowerchartbygen.png

Chart of cards sorted by idle power draw
GFXpowerchartbyidle.png

List of URLs used for each card
(Newest additions appear at the bottom of the list)

Radeon HD 3450 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
Radeon HD 2400 Pro - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
Radeon X300 - URL1 - URL2
GeForce 7300 GS - URL1
Radeon 9500/9600 - URL1
GeForce 6200 - URL1 - URL2
Radeon 9600 Pro - URL1
Radeon HD 2400 XT - URL1 - URL2
Quadro FX 330 - URL1
Chrome S25 - URL1
Radeon 9600 XT - URL1
GeForce FX 5700 - URL1
Chrome S27 - URL1
GeForce 8300 GS - URL1
GeForce 7300 LE - URL1
Radeon X600 XT - URL1
Radeon HD 3470 - URL1 - URL2
GeForce 6600 GDDR2 - URL1
GeForce 7600 GS - URL1
GeForce 8500 GT - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
Radeon X1300 XT - URL1
Radeon X700 - URL1
GeForce 7300 GT - URL1 - URL2
Radeon HD 3650 512MB (750/1600) - URL1 - URL2
GeForce 8600 GT - URL1
GeForce 3 Series - URL1
Radeon X1300 Pro - URL1
Radeon HD 2600 Pro - URL1
Radeon X300 SE - URL1
GeForce 7300 GS SLI - URL1
Radeon X700 Pro - URL1
GeForce FX 5200 - URL1
Radeon 9000/9200 - URL1
Radeon 7x00-8500 - URL1
GeForce 4 Ti Series - URL1
Quadro FX 540 - URL1
GeForce 7600 GT - URL1
Radeon X800 - URL1
Radeon X700 XT - URL1
GeForce 8400 GS - URL1 - URL2
GeForce 6800 - URL1
Geforce 6800 AGP - URL1
Radeon X800 GT - URL1
Radeon X1600 Pro - URL1
Radeon X1600 XT - URL1
Radeon X600 Pro - URL1
Radeon 9700/9800 - URL1
Radeon X1650 Pro - URL1 - URL2
FireGL V5200 - URL1
GeForce 8800 GT 256MB - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
GeForce 7900 GS - URL1
GeForce FX 5700 Ultra - URL1
FireGL X1-256 - URL1
GeForce 8600 GTS - URL1 - URL2
Radeon 9800 Pro - URL1
GeForce 6600 GT - URL1
Radeon X800 Pro - URL1
GeForce 7900 GT - URL1
Radeon X1800 GTO - URL1
Radeon X800 GTO - URL1
Radeon HD 2600 XT - URL1 - URL2
Radeon X800 XL - URL1
Radeon HD 3690 256MB - URL1
GeForce 7800 GS - URL1
Radeon X1950 GT - URL1 - URL2
GeForce FX 5800 - URL1
GeForce 7600 GS SLI - URL1
GeForce 6800 GS - URL1
FireGL V3200 - URL1
Radeon X1650 XT - URL1
GeForce 6800 GT - URL1
MultiChrome S27 - URL1
GeForce 8800 GS 384MB - URL1 - URL2
GeForce 7800 GT - URL1
Radeon X1800 XL - URL1
GeForce FX 5900 XT - URL1
Radeon X800 XT - URL1
GeForce FX 5900 Ultra - URL1
Quadro FX 1300 - URL1
GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
Radeon 9800 XT - URL1
GeForce 7950 GT - URL1
Radeon X800 XT PE - URL1
Radeon HD 3850 256MB - URL1 - URL2
Quardo FX 5600 - URL1
Radeon X1950 Pro - URL1
FireGL X3-256 - URL1
Quadro FX 1400 - URL1
Radeon X850 XT - URL1
Radeon X1300 Pro CF - URL1
GeForce 6800 Ultra - URL1
GeForce FX 5950 Ultra - URL1
Radeon X850 XT PE - URL1
Radeon X1900 GT - URL1
GeForce 7600 GT SLI - URL1
FireGL V7100 - URL1
GeForce 8800 GT 512MB - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
GeForce 7900 GTO - URL1
GeForce 7800 GTX - URL1
Radeon HD 3870 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
Radeon X1600 Pro CF - URL1
Quadro FX 3450 - URL1
GeForce 7900 GTX - URL1
Quadro FX 4000 PCI-E - URL1
GeForce 8800 GT 512MB OC (700/1025) - URL1
Quadro FX 5500 - URL1
GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB SLI - URL1
Radeon X1600 XT CF - URL1
GeForce 7800 GTX 512MB - URL1
Radeon X1900 XT 256MB - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
GeForce 6600 GT SLI - URL1
Quadro FX 3400 - URL1
GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB - URL1 - URL2
Radeon X1800 XT - URL1
Quadro FX 4000 AGP - URL1
GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB - URL1 - URL2
Radeon X1900 XT - URL1
Quadro FX 4500 - URL1
GeForce 7900 GT SLI - URL1
GeForce 7950 GX2 - URL1 - URL2
Radeon X1950 XT - URL1
Quadro FX 4400 - URL1
Radeon X800 XL CF - URL1
Radeon X1800 XT OC (700/1600) - URL1
Radeon X1650 XT CF - URL1
FireGL V7300 - URL1
FireGL V7350 - URL1
GeForce 7900 GS SLI - URL1
GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB OC (576/1350) - URL1
Radeon X1900 XTX - URL1
Radeon X1950 Pro CF - URL1
Radeon X1950 XTX - URL1
GeForce 6800 GT SLI - URL1
GeForce 7950 GT SLI - URL1
GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB - URL1
Radeon HD 2900 Pro - URL1
GeForce 6800 GS SLI - URL1 - URL2
GeForce 7900 GX2 - URL1
GeForce 7800 GT SLI - URL1 - URL2
GeForce 9600 GT 512MB SLI - URL1
GeForce 9800 GX2 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5 - URL6 - URL7
Radeon X1900 GT CF - URL1
Radeon X850 XT CF - URL1
FireGL V8600 - URL1
GeForce 9800 GTX - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5 - URL6 - URL7
Radeon HD 3850 512MB CF - URL1 - URL2
Radeon HD 2900 XT 1GB - URL1 - URL2
GeForce 6800 Ultra SLI - URL1
Radeon HD 2900 XT 512MB - URL1 - URL2
GeForce 8800 Ultra - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
Radeon HD 3870 X2 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5
Radeon X1800 XL CF - URL1
Radeon HD 2900 XL - URL1
GeForce 8800 GT 512MB SLI - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
GeForce 7900 GTX SLI - URL1 - URL2
GeForce 7800 GTX SLI - URL1 - URL2
Radeon HD 3870 CF - URL1 - URL2
GeForce 7800 GTX 512MB SLI - URL1 - URL2
Radeon X1900 XT CF - URL1
Radeon X1800 XT CF - URL1 - URL2
GeForce 7950 GX2 SLI - URL1
Radeon X1900 XTX CF - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
Radeon HD 3870 X2 + HD 3870 CF - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
Radeon X1950 XTX CF - URL1 - URL2
Radeon HD 2900 XTX 1GB - URL1
GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB SLI - URL1
Radeon HD 2900 XTX 1GB (OEM) - URL1
GeForce 8800 GTX SLI - URL1 - URL2
GeForce 7900 GX2 SLI - URL1
Radeon HD 2900 XT 1GB CF - URL1 - URL2
Radeon HD 2900 XT 512MB CF - URL1 - URL2
Radeon HD 3870 X2 CF - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
GeForce 8800 Ultra SLI - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
GeForce 8800 Ultra 3x SLI - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
Radeon HD 3850 512MB - URL1
Radeon HD 3850 1GB - URL1
GeForce 8800 GT 1GB - URL1
Radeon HD 3650 256MB - URL1 - URL2
GeForce 8600 GTS SLI - URL1
GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB SLI - URL1
GMA 900 - URL1 - URL2
GeForce 9800 GX2 SLI - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
Radeon HD 4870 X2 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5 - URL6 - URL7
Radeon HD 4870 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5 - URL6
Radeon HD 4850 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5 - URL6 - URL7
Radeon HD 4670 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5 - URL6 - URL7
Radeon HD 4650 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
Radeon HD 4550 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5 - URL6 - URL7
Radeon HD 4350 - URL1 - URL2
GeForce 9600 GT 256MB - URL1
GeForce 4 MX - URL1
GeForce 9800 GTX SLI - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
Radeon HD 3850 X3 - URL1
GeForce 9800 GTX 3x SLI - URL1
Chrome 430 GT - URL1 - URL2
Radeon HD 3850 X2 - URL1 - URL2
GeForce GTX 280 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5 - URL6 - URL7
GeForce GTX 260 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5 - URL6 - URL7
Larrabee' - URL1
FireGL V7600 - URL1
FireGL V5600 - URL1
Quadro FX 3700 - URL1
Quadro FX 1700 - URL1
FireGL V3600 - URL1
Quado FX 570 - URL1
GeForce GTX 280 SLI - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
GeForce GTX 280 3x SLI - URL1 - URL2
Radeon HD 4850 CF - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
GeForce 9800 GTX+ (55nm) - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
Radeon HD 4870 CF - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
GeForce 9800 GTX+ SLI - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
Radeon X1050 - URL1
Radeon X1550 - URL1
GeForce 9600 GSO - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
Radeon HD 4870 + HD 4850 CF - URL1
GeForce 9500 GT 256MB (600/1000) - URL1
GeForce GTX 260 SLI - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
GeForce GTX 260 3x SLI - URL1 - URL2
Radeon HD 4870 X2 CF - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
Radeon HD 4870 X2 + HD 4870 512MB CF - URL1
Radeon HD 4850 X2 2GB - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5 - URL6
GeForce 9800 GTX OC (875/1100 @ 1.528v) - URL1
Radeon HD 4850 OC (800/1250) - URL1
GeForce 9800 GT - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5 - URL6
Radeon HD 4870 1GB - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5 - URL6
Radeon HD 3870 OC (999/1242 @ 1.71v) - URL1
Chrome 440 GTX - URL1
GeForce 9400 GT 1GB - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
GeForce GTX 280 OC (700/1200) - URL1 - URL2
Radeon HD 4670 CF - URL1
GeForce GTX 260 216SP (65nm) - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
GeForce 9500 GT 512MB GDDR3 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
Radeon HD 3650 512MB CF - URL1
GeForce 8600 GT SLI - URL1
GeForce GTX 260 216SP (55nm) OC (655/1050) - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
Radeon HD 4830 (640SP) - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5 - URL6 - URL7
GeForce 9800 GT OC (660/1625) - URL1
Radeon HD 4850 X2 2GB CF - URL1
Radeon HD 4650 OC (650/900) - URL1
Radeon HD 4830 (640SP) CF - URL1 - URL2
Chrome 530 GT - URL1
GeForce 9800 GTX+ (65nm) - URL1 - URL2
GeForce GTX 295 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5 - URL6 - URL7
GeForce GTX 285 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5 - URL6 - URL7
GeForce GTX 260 216SP (55nm) - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5
GeForce GTX 295 SLI - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
GeForce GTX 285 SLI - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
GeForce GTX 285 3x SLI - URL1 - URL2
GeForce GTX 285 OC (702/1584) - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
Quadro NVS 420 - URL1
Radeon HD 4870 X2 OC (800/900) - URL1
FirePro 2450 - URL1
GeForce GTS 250 1GB - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5 - URL6 - URL7
GeForce GTS 250 2GB - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
Radeon HD 4770 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5 - URL6 - URL7
Radeon HD 4890 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
Quadro NVS 295 - URL1
GeForce GTX 275 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5 - URL6 - URL7
Radeon HD 4890 CF - URL1 - URL2
GeForce GTX 275 OC (702/1260) - URL1 - URL2
GeForce GTS 250 1GB SLI - URL1 - URL2
Radeon HD 4890 OC (1000/1050) - URL1
Radeon HD 2400 LE - URL1
GeForce FX 5600 - URL1
GeForce GTX 275 SLI - URL1 - URL2
GeForce GTX 275 3x SLI - URL1
Radeon HD 4890 3x CF - URL1
Radeon HD 4870 2GB - URL1 - URL2
GeForce GTX 285 2GB - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
GeForce 9800 GTX+ (55nm) OC (745/1100) - URL1
Radeon HD 4830 (640SP) OC (585/900) - URL1
Radeon HD 3650 512MB OC (750/800) - URL1
GeForce 6600 LE - URL1
GeForce PCX 5950 - URL1
Radeon X550 - URL1
Radeon HD 4830 (800SP) - URL1
Radeon HD 4870 3x CF - URL1
Radeon HD 4870 1GB 4x CF - URL1
Radeon HD 4870 1GB 3x CF - URL1
GeForce 9800 GTX+ 3x SLI - URL1
Radeon HD 4850 4x CF - URL1
Radeon HD 4850 3x CF - URL1
Radeon HD 4770 CF - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
Radeon HD 4850 1GB (GV-R485MC-1GH) - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
Radeon HD 4850 X2 1GB - URL1
GeForce GTS 250 512MB - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
Radeon HD 4770 OC (912/1000) - URL1
GeForce GTX 295 (Single PCB) - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5 - URL6 - URL7
Radeon HD 4730 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
GeForce GTX 275 1792MB - URL1
FirePro V8700 - URL1 - URL2
FireGL V7700 - URL1
FirePro V5700 - URL1
FirePro V3750 - URL1
FirePro V3700 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
Quadro FX 5800 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
Quadro FX 4800 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
Quadro FX 3800 1GB - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
Quadro FX 1800 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
Quadro FX 580 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
Quadro FX 380 - URL1 - URL2
GeForce GTS 240 - URL1
FirePro V8750 - URL1 - URL2
Radeon HD 4890 2GB OC (870/1050) - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
GeForce GTX 295 4GB "Asus Mars" - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5
GeForce 210 DDR3 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
Radeon HD 5870 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5
Radeon HD 5850 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5 - URL6 - URL7 - URL8 - URL9
GeForce GTX 295 4GB "Asus Mars" SLI - URL1
Radeon HD 5870 CF - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5
Radeon HD 4860 - URL1
Radeon HD 4750 - URL1
Radeon HD 5850 CF - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
Radeon HD 5870 3x CF - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
Radeon HD 5870 4x CF - URL1
GeForce GT 220 1GB GDDR3 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5 - URL6
Radeon HD 5770 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5
Radeon HD 5750 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5 - URL6 - URL7 - URL8 - URL9
Radeon HD 5770 CF - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
Radeon HD 5750 CF - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
Radeon HD 5870 + HD 5850 CF - URL1
Radeon HD 5870 OC (870/1250) - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5
Radeon HD 5850 OC (1010/1240 @ 1.21v) - URL1
GeForce GT 240 1GB GDDR5 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
Radeon HD 5970 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5
Radeon HD 5970 OC (~871/1255 @ 1.1625v) - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
Radeon HD 5750 OC (710/1160) - URL1
Radeon HD 5970 CF - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
Radeon HD 5670 512MB - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
GeFroce GT 240 1GB DDR3 - URL1 - URL2
Quadro FX 370 - URL1 - URL2
Radeon HD 5450 GDDR3 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
Intel Clarkdale IGP (900MHz) - URL1 - URL2
Radeon HD 5450 CF - URL1
Radeon HD 4200 IGP - URL1
Radeon HD 5570 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
Radeon HD 5830 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5
GeForce 310 - URL1 - URL2
GeForce 315 - URL1
GeForce GT 320 - URL1
GeForce GT 330 - URL1
GeForce GT 340 1GB - URL1 - URL2
GeForce GTX 275 Co-Op - URL1 - URL2
GeForce GT 340 512MB - URL1
GeForce GT 240 512MB GDDR5 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
GeForce GT 240 512MB GDDR3 - URL1
GeForce GT 220 512MB GDDR3 - URL1 - URL2
GeForce GT 130 - URL1
GeForce 210 DDR2 - URL1 - URL2
GeForce G 100 - URL1
GeForce 9600 GSO 512MB - URL1
Radeon HD 5450 DDR2 - URL1
Radeon HD 3650 512MB - URL1
Radeon HD 2900 GT - URL1
Radeon HD 5830 CF - URL1
GeForce GTX 480 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5
GeForce GTX 470 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5
GeForce GTX 480 SLI - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity 6 2GB - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5 - URL6
Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity 6 2GB CF - URL1
FirePro V8800 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
Radeon HD 5750 "Go Green" - URL1
GeForce 9800 GT "Green" - URL1
GeForce GTX 470 SLI - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
Radeon HD 5970 4GB OC (900/1200) - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
GeForce GTX 480 3x SLI - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
FirePro V5800 - URL1 - URL2
FirePro V3800 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
Radeon HD 5550 1GB DDR2 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
GeForce GTX 480 4x SLI - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
Radeon HD 5570 CF - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
GeForce GTX 465 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5
GeForce GTX 465 SLI - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
FirePro V7800 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
FirePro V4800 - URL1 - URL2
Quadro FX 3800 512MB - URL1
GeForce GTX 470 OC SLI (775/955) - URL1
GeForce GTX 470 OC (803/983) - URL1
GeForce GTX 470 3x SLI - URL1
Radeon HD 5550 512MB DDR3 - URL1
GeForce GT 220 1GB DDR2 - URL1
Radeon HD 5550 512MB GDDR5 OC (650/900) - URL1
Radeon HD 5550 1GB DDR3 - URL1 - URL2
FireStream 9350 - URL1
FireStream 9370 - URL1
Radeon HD 5670 1GB - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
Radeon HD 5970 4GB OC (850/1200) - URL1 - URL2
Radeon HD 5670 1GB CF - URL1
GeForce GTX 480 OC (756/950) - URL1 - URL2
GeForce GTX 460 768MB - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5
GeForce GTX 460 1GB - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5
GeForce GTX 460 768MB SLI - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
GeForce GTX 460 1GB SLI - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
GeForce GTX 460 768MB OC (930/900 @ 1.062v) - URL1
GeForce GTX 460 1GB OC (835/900) - URL1
GeForce GTX 465 (Unlocked to 448SP) - URL1
GeForce GTX 465 (Unlocked to 448SP & 1.25GB) - URL1
Radeon HD 5770 Eyefinity 5 - URL1
Radeon HD 5770 Eyefinity 5 OC (925/1400) - URL1
GeForce GTX 465 OC SLI (830/1000) - URL1
GeForce GTX 460 768MB OC SLI (840/900) - URL1
GeForce GTX 460 1GB OC SLI (763/950) - URL1
Quadro 4000 - URL1
Quadro 5000 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
Quadro 6000 - URL1 - URL2
GeForce GTX 480 (512SP) - URL1
Radeon HD 4670 X2 - URL1
GeForce GTS 450 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
GeForce GTS 420 - URL1
GeForce GTS 450 OC (850/1000) - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
FirePro V9800 - URL1 - URL2
GeForce GTS 450 OC (925/1000) - URL1
GeForce GTS 450 1GB SLI - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
GeForce GTS 450 OC SLI (920/1025) - URL1 - URL2
Radeon HD 5970 4GB OC (850/1200) CF - URL1
Quadro 2000 - URL1
Quadro 600 - URL1
Quadro Plex 7000 - URL1
Quadro 5000M - URL1
GeForce GT 430 - URL1 - URL2
GeForce GT 440 - URL1 - URL2
Radeon HD 6870 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5
Radeon HD 6850 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5
Radeon HD 6870 CF - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
Radeon HD 6850 CF - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
GeForce GTX 580 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
GeForce GTX 580 SLI - URL1
GeForce GTX 570 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
Radeon HD 6950 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
Radeon HD 6970 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
GeForce GTX 580 3x SLI - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
GeForce GTX 570 SLI - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
GeForce GTX 460 SE 1GB - URL1
GeForce GTX 580 4x SLI - URL1
Radeon HD 6950 CF - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
Radeon HD 6970 CF - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
Radeon HD 6850 OC (970/1075) - URL1
Radeon HD 6870 OC (1035/1150) - URL1
Radeon HD 6850 OC CF (840/1100) - URL1
Radeon HD 6870 OC CF (970/1100) - URL1
GeForce GTX 580 OC (900/1050) - URL1
GeForce GTX 570 3x SLI - URL1
Radeon HD 6950 3x CF - URL1
Radeon HD 6970 3x CF - URL1 - URL2
GeForce GTX 580 OC (900/1050) SLI - URL1
Radeon HD 6950 OC (900/1440) - URL1
GeForce GTX 560 Ti - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC (900/1050) SLI - URL1 - URL2
GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC (960/1200) - URL1
Radeon HD 6950 1GB - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
GeForce GT 440 - URL1
Radeon HD 6950 1GB OC (950/1300) - URL1
Radeon HD 6990 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
Radeon HD 6990 OC (880/1250) - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
Radeon HD 6990 CF - URL1 - URL2
GeForce GTX 560 Ti SLI - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
GeForce GTX 550 Ti - URL1 - URL2
GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC (975/1026) - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC (1000/1100) SLI - URL1
GeForce GTX 590 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
Radeon HD 6990 OC (960/1425) - URL1
GeForce GTX 590 SLI - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
Radeon HD 6990 OC (880/1250) CF - URL1
GeForce GTX 590 OC (690/900 @0.963v) - URL1
Radeon HD 6790 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
Radeon HD 6790 CF - URL1
Radeon HD 6450 GDDR5 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5 - URL6 - URL7
Radeon HD 6450 GDDR3 - URL1 - URL2
Radeon HD 6670 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
GeForce GT 520 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
Radeon HD 6570 1GB - URL1
Intel Sandy Bridge HD3000 IGP - URL1
Radeon HD 6990 + 6970 3x CF - URL1
GeForce GTX 560 - URL1
Radeon HD 6770 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
Radeon HD 6750 - URL1
GeForce GTX 560 OC (925/1050) - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
GeForce GT 530 - URL1
GeForce GT 545 (GDDR5) - URL1
GeForce GT 545 (GDDR3) - URL1
GeForce GTX 580 3GB OC (832/1050) - URL1
FirePro V7900 - URL1
FirePro V5900 - URL1
Radeon HD 6870 X2 - URL1 - URL2
GeForce GTX 580 "Asus Mars II" - URL1
GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 - URL1 - URL2
GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 OC (765/975) - URL1
FirePro V4900 - URL1 - URL2
Radeon HD 7970 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
GeForce GTX 560 Ti "EVGA 2Win" - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
Radeon HD 7970 CF - URL1 - URL2
Radeon HD 7950 CF - URL1
Radeon HD 7950 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
Radeon HD 7770 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
Radeon HD 7750 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4 - URL5
FirePro V3900 - URL1
Radeon HD 7950 OC (900/1250) - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
Radeon HD 7970 3x CF - URL1 - URL2
Radeon HD 7970 4x CF - URL1 - URL2
Radeon HD 7970 OC (1125/1575) - URL1
Radeon HD 7750 CF - URL1
Radeon HD 7770 CF - URL1
Radeon HD 7770 OC (1120/1300) - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
Radeon HD 7870 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
Radeon HD 7850 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
GeForce GTX 680 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
GeForce GTX 690 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3 - URL4
GeForce GTX 670 - URL1 - URL2 - URL3
GeForce GTX 670 SLI - URL1
GeForce GTX 680 SLI - URL1
GeForce GTX 680 4GB - URL1
GeForce GTX 670 OC (1006/1527) - URL1
GeForce GTX 670 3x SLI - URL1
GeForce GTX 680 OC (1111/1652) - URL1

Edited by mark84, 20 August 2014 - 03:41 PM.

Desktop: i7 4770K @ 4.4GHz | R9 295X2 | 16GB RAM | 120GB + 250GB SSDs | 2x 4TB HDD in RAID1

Firefox AtomicMPC Menu | The Truth About Graphics Power Requirements V2 | Desktop build log

#3 mark84

mark84

Journeyman

• Hero
  • 5,683 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:24 PM

Added - HD4870 1GB Updated - HD4650 - HD4670 - HD4450 - HD4870X2 - HD4870X2 CF - HD4870X2 + HD4870 CF Will be adjusting formatting etc of the OP shortly. Initial impression is it's a lot easier on the eyes, plus my ascii graphs still work! w00t!

#4 c2006

c2006

Champion

• Atomican
  • 163 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:31 PM

This was a useful thread in the old one. I'd give it a +1 for re-stickification. :)

#5 Fat_Bodybuilder

Fat_Bodybuilder

Apprentice

• Banned
  • 8,893 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:27 PM

I woulda personally called it V2.1 :P
Don't worry about a thing. 'Cause every little thing is gonna be alright.

#6 mark84

mark84

Journeyman

• Hero
  • 5,683 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:31 PM

Rofl, that actually did cross my mind. I figured I'd leave it as I was just copy/pasting it straight over. But with the amount of effort it just took to link the wattages with the correct URLs I probably should have :) Will be another update coming with more GFX cards when I get home. At some stage I'll also look at updating some of the text so it's more up to date.

#7 Fat_Bodybuilder

Fat_Bodybuilder

Apprentice

• Banned
  • 8,893 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:38 PM

Yeah that's why I suggested. Most excellent job there with the URLs etc, musta taken a shit load of time.
Don't worry about a thing. 'Cause every little thing is gonna be alright.

#8 murasame2006

murasame2006

Immortal

• Quark
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:01 PM

HD4870 only takes 225w at peak??? ....that can't be right....right? Im getting suggestions to use 700w+ psu to run that at a comfortable level....

#9 mark84

mark84

Journeyman

• Hero
  • 5,683 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:02 PM

HD4870 only takes 225w at peak??? ....that can't be right....right?
Im getting suggestions to use 700w+ psu to run that at a comfortable level....

Did you read the whole article?
These readings are just for the card itself, not the rest of your system. Depending on the rest of your system you could be ok with a good quality 550W PSU.

OP updated.

Added
- HD3870 OC
- Chrome 440 GTX
- 9400 GT

Updated
- 8400 GS
- HD4670

#10 mark84

mark84

Journeyman

• Hero
  • 5,683 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:51 PM

Added - GTX 280 OC Updated - 9600 GSO

#11 adam93

adam93

Charge

• Atomican
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:01 AM

Nothing to see here

#12 baklava

baklava

Colossus

• Lurker
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 11:20 PM

mark84, Have you actually compiled this list (power requirements) from scratch or is it data progressively gathered from other sources? Just wondering whether the data is "measured" or "theoretical" because if its the former, its an incredible amount of work! Cheers.

#13 mark84

mark84

Journeyman

• Hero
  • 5,683 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 01:54 AM

Have you actually compiled this list (power requirements) from scratch or is it data progressively gathered from other sources?

Just wondering whether the data is "measured" or "theoretical" because if its the former, its an incredible amount of work!

Let me re word your first sentence to answer the question:

I've compiled the list from scratch using data progressively gathered from other sources.

Basically it's all theoretical, but, it's using measured data, as per the links for each. I've based my calculations mainly off xbitlabs readings, which is about as accurate anyone can get.

I'll quote myself from this thread in the previous V2.6 forums:

You have to keep in mind that those sites are quoting TOTAL SYSTEM power draw.

I try and normalize an average of various readings against those from xbitlabs readings, whom actually measure power draw at the card itself via a modified pci-e bus socket and PEG power connectors with shunts, thus removing the ~80% efficiency of the PSU and the rest of the PC components from the equation, ie they have the best readings possible.

I look more at the differences between known correct readings (usually ones from xbit labs) and the target setup. If I find a few sites that agree that a setup uses a certain amount more/less than a current known setup, then I plug it in. It's not totally accurate but it's the best I can do with the info available, there's only around a -+15% maximum difference compared to the correct readings, usually <-+10%.

I'll add this info to the OP and update the rest of the supporting text soon.

#14 mark84

mark84

Journeyman

• Hero
  • 5,683 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:16 PM

W00t! Pics now working in 2nd post. Though the resizing that occurs somewhat defeats the purpose. Let me know if I should remove them though if it's not useful having them there.

#15 mark84

mark84

Journeyman

• Hero
  • 5,683 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:49 PM

Added - HD4670 CF - GTX260 216SP

#16 emccat

emccat

Champion

• Lurker
  • 192 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 03:40 PM

this thread thingy is really really usefull 10/10 :)
heheheheheheh cow fart powered cars

#17 jyjjy

jyjjy

Colossus

• Lurker
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:56 AM

Added
- GTX 280 OC

Updated
- 9600 GSO

What's up with the 9600 gso???
You have it using about the same power as an 9800 gtx, almost twice as much as the 8800 gs and they are supposed to be the exact same card.
Surely that's a mistake right?

#18 mark84

mark84

Journeyman

• Hero
  • 5,683 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 01:54 PM

What's up with the 9600 gso???
You have it using about the same power as an 9800 gtx, almost twice as much as the 8800 gs and they are supposed to be the exact same card.
Surely that's a mistake right?

I don't think it's a mistake. Take a look at the associated link if you don't believe it.
Also 9600GSO is essentially a fubared 9800GTX chip. Die size is the same, but with reduced clocks and other features cut back on. Check out the table here http://en.wikipedia....eForce_9_series

#19 jyjjy

jyjjy

Colossus

• Lurker
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:14 PM

That's simply not true, it's a renamed 8800gs, they are the exact same card. If you scroll up slightly on the link you posted you'll see everything about them is identical, including TDP which is much lower than the GTX. But beyond that chart almost every review of the card mentions it. Here are a few;

http://www.guru3d.co...-point-of-view/
http://www.tweaktown...card/index.html
http://www.thetechlo...eme-Video-Card/

All of the reviews I've looked at also report power use similar to the 9600gt.

#20 mark84

mark84

Journeyman

• Hero
  • 5,683 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:01 PM

Ahh, that one. Right. My apologies. The many various mid/low end GPU parts can be hard to remember and find info on half the time. Taking a second look at the Anandtech results show something weird too, the 3870 and 4850 being only 6W difference, which obviously isn't in the right ball park. So I'll call those results borked. I'll use the sites you've linked to get a better result in the next update. I do remember now when I put that one in it I seemed out of place, but with the data from Anandtech (my only source of info I found at the time) I had to go with it. Thanks for pointing out the error :)

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users