• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

#1 SavageD

SavageD

Master

• Atomican
  • 530 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:02 PM

I just can't believe this. Assassins Creed 2 apparently requires you to be online at ALL times during play, or it kicks you to the menu. So if your net connection hiccups, back to the menu you go, until you get the connection going again. Thus, you naturally lose whatever progress you achieved in game. Did anyone else know this was coming?

It's ridiculous. I can see that in the future, for every PC game I buy, I'm going to have to research both the level of DRM, AND whether it has dedicated server/LAN support (lest my game be reliant on a publishers/devs servers for MP).

Irony: pirating a hacked, working copy of a game you've legitimately paid for, in order to be able to play it.

The reports are in:
http://www.rockpaper...17/you-maniacs/
http://www.computera...c...90&site=pcg

Edited by SavageD, 18 February 2010 - 08:10 PM.

archive.atomicmpc.com.au Intel Q6600 G0 (SLACR) w/ TRUE & AC 120mm | Powercolor HD5870 PCS+ | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 | Asus P5K Black Pearl | 4x1Gb Kingston HyperX 1200 | 2x1Tb Samsung Spinpoint F1 | 1x2Tb Western Digital Caviar Black | Pioneer DVR-215 | Corsair HX620W | BenQ 24" | Logitech Z-5500D, G510 and G9x | Black Lian-Li w/ second Scythe 120mm intake panel | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

#2 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:35 PM

bioshock 2 made me create a windows live account so i can save the game go figure ! i haven't tried it in offline mode yet, but will report back

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#3 Oracle X

Oracle X

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,128 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:43 PM

Ironic isn't it. They introduced DRMs to combat piracy which only drives more people to pirate.
You don't have to rely on other people if you never miss.

#4 Boosta

Boosta

Master

• Atomican
  • 854 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:47 PM

Ironic isn't it. They introduced DRMs to combat piracy which only drives more people to pirate.

Well the idea with new DRM is to try and stop people pirating all together. If it fails miserably hopefully we won't see it done again.

Then again if it does stop the game being pirated it could become widespread...
Q9550 @ 3.8GHz (450x8.5) 1.28v | TR Silver Arrow | X48-DS4 | 4GB OCZ Platinum 1066MHz DDR2 | 2x HD4870 in CF | Corsair HX-620 | WD 640GB SATAII | Raven Case | Windows 7

#5 Bundy

Bundy

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,102 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:57 PM

what is stupid is there will still be workarounds and some people may want to get the workarounds in-case they want to play while they have no internet or on a laptop or w/e so yea in this case there is more than piracy for a motivation for cracking the game.
I won't bow to something that I've never seen. I can't believe in something that doesn't believe in me. I'm not Blood of Your Blood. I'm no son of your God. I've no faith in your fate. Still I find salvation. - FFDP

#6 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,454 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:10 PM

Well the idea with new DRM is to try and stop people pirating all together. If it fails miserably hopefully we won't see it done again.

Unfortunately the game publishers don't see it that way. Anti-piracy measures failed miserably? Then lets spend another x million $$ on yet another anti-piracy scheme. The stupidity of this is mind boggling to me.

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

#7 Bundy

Bundy

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,102 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:21 PM

It is still a financial decision someone must feel that they will make more money back on their investment than what the DRM costs else they wouldn't do it. Unless they are testing the waters to see what works and what doesnt work.. ALSO consider that perhaps they gather data with on-line DRM about their users I am sure some DRMs will send back system specific data much like steam and is then used and sold as market research (which is big business).
I won't bow to something that I've never seen. I can't believe in something that doesn't believe in me. I'm not Blood of Your Blood. I'm no son of your God. I've no faith in your fate. Still I find salvation. - FFDP

#8 Reb1rth.

Reb1rth.

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:32 PM

I think it was already common knowledge that Ubisoft were using this DRM for all their future game releases. No big shock, Ubisoft have always been ones to jump on Nazi-DRM (Starforce, for example).
PC: h.IV+[Ezkaton] PS3: SupervillainX

#9 spiritek

spiritek

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:50 PM

Everyone had a chance with ubisoft to prove them wrong on the DRM issue, they released the newer Prince of Persia with no DRM and people still pirated it... not that I agree with DRM but I just wish people had of put in some effort to show UBI that we are bigger people and made a stand to not support pirated versions of that game... oh well greed (from both parties) wins again

#10 nesquick

nesquick

Titan

• Atomican
  • 19,783 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:02 PM

Everyone had a chance with ubisoft to prove them wrong on the DRM issue, they released the newer Prince of Persia with no DRM and people still pirated it... not that I agree with DRM but I just wish people had of put in some effort to show UBI that we are bigger people and made a stand to not support pirated versions of that game... oh well greed (from both parties) wins again

While this is true, its just an expensive insurance policy to them I don't see how it is greed on their part considering they are offering people a product, its no different to going down to coles and taking whatever you want both are illegal.

Edited by nesquick, 18 February 2010 - 10:02 PM.

STEAM/BC2 name: AllNightmareLong

#11 SavageD

SavageD

Master

• Atomican
  • 530 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:27 PM

I'm just waiting for the next level of DRM where the game erases itself and invalidates the associated registration key once you finish it.

"Congratulations and thanks for playing. Now fuck off and never come back."

On a serious note, I can get behind DRM that doesn't affect/or inconvenience the legitimate user. This 'You-be-soft' Nazi DRM though, is astounding. I mean, chucking a bloke back to the menu because his internet dropped out whilst playing a single player game just... just doesn't make any sense!
archive.atomicmpc.com.au Intel Q6600 G0 (SLACR) w/ TRUE & AC 120mm | Powercolor HD5870 PCS+ | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 | Asus P5K Black Pearl | 4x1Gb Kingston HyperX 1200 | 2x1Tb Samsung Spinpoint F1 | 1x2Tb Western Digital Caviar Black | Pioneer DVR-215 | Corsair HX620W | BenQ 24" | Logitech Z-5500D, G510 and G9x | Black Lian-Li w/ second Scythe 120mm intake panel | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

#12 nesquick

nesquick

Titan

• Atomican
  • 19,783 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:34 PM

I'm just waiting for the next level of DRM where the game erases itself and invalidates the associated registration key once you finish it.

On a serious note, I can get behind DRM that doesn't affect/or inconvenience the legitimate user. This 'You-be-soft' Nazi DRM though, is astounding. I mean, chucking a bloke back to the menu because his internet dropped out whilst playing a single player game just... just doesn't make any sense!

Well how would you combat it?
STEAM/BC2 name: AllNightmareLong

#13 Gasman

Gasman

Master

• Atomican
  • 634 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:35 PM

What chance do they think they have when the pirated version of the game is going to provide a better experience than the legitimate version. They should accept it will be pirated and concentrate on giving their customers that actually pay for the game a decent product instead of punishing them for what the pirates are doing.

Edited by Gasman, 18 February 2010 - 10:36 PM.

#14 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:46 PM

bioshock 2 made me create a windows live account so i can save the game

go figure ! i haven't tried it in offline mode yet, but will report back

you can play and save offline, but only once you've signed in on a live connection

steam got the shits with me trying to close it while i was playing, but the work around is engaging the internet lock on zonealarm (or turning off the modem)

personally, i resent the need to have the interweb present to play a game, but that's just me perhaps

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#15 TheMojorising

TheMojorising

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,505 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:53 PM

Never fear!

I have the perfect solution for all of you DRM haters!!!

http://tinyurl.com/ygkc8mm
"The problem with quotes from the internet is that you can not be sure of their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln

#16 Ihsan

Ihsan

Champion

• Atomican
  • 7,301 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:58 PM

Never fear!

That's just a bunch of whiny kids claiming their console is better then the next guys.

Everyone knows the PC is better then anything they have...
All are welcome in wonderland ‘Till the queen screams off with your head And life will always get twisted When you’re living it through the looking glass

#17 TheMojorising

TheMojorising

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,505 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 11:04 PM

Never fear!

That's just a bunch of whiny kids claiming their console is better then the next guys.

Everyone knows the PC is better then anything they have...

Not all of them!

I did originally try to cross post to a thread about console gamers bitching about DRM but couldnt find one.
"The problem with quotes from the internet is that you can not be sure of their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln

#18 Takoma

Takoma

Titan

• Hero
  • 23,385 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:20 AM

Never fear!

Generic games with crappy controls running at miniature resolutions and produced for the lowest common denominator?

You're absolutely right, there's no way I'd waste my bandwidth pirating that rubbish :P
things

#19 gyrus

gyrus

Master

• Atomican
  • 573 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:42 AM

Well how would you combat it?

Well, I am Anti Piracy... but I am also pro consumer. IMHO the consumer (the honest ones) have a right to enjoy the product they paid for without 'harassment' from the Developer via DRMs or whatever.

Now, being that Australia is such a unique place you may be able to do something here?:
Firstly, there are some statutory rights you have here with regard to goods and services and one of those is clear title / quiet possession.
That is (for goods): You must receive clear title to the goods, including goods bought at auction. In other words, you can expect to own the goods outright and any restriction on ownership should be explained to you beforehand.
(for services): You are entitled to enjoy quiet possession of the goods and to own the goods outright. No money should be owing on the goods you have acquired (unless this is disclosed to you), and no one who tries to claim title to the goods through the supplier should disturb your quiet possession of the goods.
http://www.accc.gov....l/itemId/815360

So, it's possible a DRM of this sort could violate the Trade Practices Act here?
I would read what it says on the box very, very carefully. Unless it is very clear that the game requires uninterrupted internet connection to the Ubisoft Server(s) at all times while playing they could be in trouble here?

The next issue in Australia is metered internet. Exactly how much data are we talking about here? If I play for 4 hours am I likely to chew up 4 Mb? 40Mb? what?
Because here in Australia that data costs.
And that is another potential issue because Australians can potentially put a real dollar value on how much this DRM 'costs' them. Who knows, they might even be entitled to claim that money back from Ubisoft?

Like I say, read the box really really carefully. Then it might be worth while talking to the ACCC about this?
This was a triumph. I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.

#20 supam

supam

Champion

• Atomican
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:07 AM

Then again if it does stop the game being pirated it could become widespread...

Even if no one pirated it they would still sell less games. No one wants to play games filled with this spyware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users