238 replies to this topic

#1 Kimmo

Kimmo

Titan

• Atomican't
  • 31,812 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:53 PM

Co-star 'hushed' on Hey Dad allegations

One of the co-stars of hit TV comedy Hey Dad says she was told she'd never work in Australia again if she spoke up about allegations of inappropriate behaviour by the show's star.

Simone Buchanan says she was aware fellow actor Robert Hughes was allegedly touching and exposing himself to child star Sarah Monahan on the set of the show, which ran on the Seven Network from 1987 to 1994.

While Buchanan said cast members knew of Hughes' alleged behaviour and tried to protect Monahan, they were gagged by the show's management.

She told the Nine Network on Thursday she approached the show's executive producer, Gary Reilly, who told her to keep quiet.

Buchanan said some time later, after she had left the show, she received a phone call from Reilly, warning her against speaking up about the allegations.

"He was very, very angry with me. He said: `If I hear you speaking about this again anywhere, I'll see to it you'll never work in this country again'," she told Nine.

Monahan, who was six when she first played Hughes' on-screen daughter Jenny Kelly in the Hey Dad pilot, said the allegations against Hughes were known throughout the Australian television industry.

"It was such an open secret that when I had left the show ... every audition I went to people blatantly asked if it was true," she told Nine.

"That's how well known it was in the industry. People would come up to me on the street and ask me."

She said Reilly had asked her whether she wanted to leave the show.

When she said she had to stay because she was her family's breadwinner, the show's script was changed so she no longer had to sit on Hughes' lap or hug him.

Reilly told Nine last week he had no knowledge of the allegations at the time.

Hughes, who now lives in Singapore, has denied all allegations.

Nine says other women have come forward with similar claims against Hughes and spoke to two unnamed sisters who claimed they were also touched inappropriately by him.

Meanwhile, detectives expect to launch within days an official investigation into allegations of misconduct on the set of Hey Dad raised by a former child star.

However, the much-publicised claims, which have gained national exposure, could make a challenging job for investigators, who are yet to have any direct contact with alleged victims.

Prompted by the media coverage, the NSW police sex crimes squad has begun looking into the matter but awaits an official victim complaint to launch a formal investigation.

"In light of information aired by the media this week regarding allegations of indecent assault, I want to reaffirm that police are aware of this matter," sex crime squad Superintendent John Kerlatec told reporters in Sydney on Thursday.

"A number of police have been assigned and are ready to take up any follow-up investigation or inquiry that needs to be done.

"However, I do state that we have not had any contact with any of the victims."

Monahan, who played schoolgirl Jenny Kelly in the television show, told Woman's Day magazine last week that a male who worked on the show had fondled her and exposed himself to her.
She did not name the perpetrator and claimed she was not the only victim linked to the show.

Not a good look... check him out:

Posted Image

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,959 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:59 PM

Caught this on TV a couple of times. I think it's a bit sick how Nine manipulated it. As if they're taking a drawn out swipe at Seven. They should know that people would dig more info up, others would come forward, etc and could have just revealed the full allegation outright but didn't do so until the second or third day after it surfaced. Gotta say though... if more women come forward, Hughes might be finding himself extradited back here. Sarah has nothing to gain by just making this kind of stuff up, so there's gotta be a lot of substance to what she's said, especially given that others have come forward too.

#3 Kimmo

Kimmo

Titan

• Atomican't
  • 31,812 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:06 AM

The fact he's living in Singapore is a tad bit suss...

This GIF is apropos. Wonder if that was after they took the hugs out of the script...

BTW, you may care to do an image search for Simone Buchanan... there's a nice B&W pic ; )

#4 maxxypoo

maxxypoo

Apprentice

• Quark
  • 127 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:07 AM

He did a terrible thing, but channel 9 are just being total dicks about the whole issue.
I like roses and long walks on the beach at low tide. /swoon

#5 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,959 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:09 AM

Yep, she's pretty hot. About the only reason to watch the show once it went downhill after the first couple of years.

#6 Kimmo

Kimmo

Titan

• Atomican't
  • 31,812 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:11 AM

I did watch it for Simone, as long as I could stand it myself

#7 drago13666

drago13666

Champion

• Atomican
  • 7,927 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:37 AM

and why did it take so long to come up? Why wasn't this handled by the police first? My guess is that channel 7 will be charged with deformation and all of the stuff thats been on tv will be inadmissable.
Life, just like Schrödinger's cat, is both heaven and hell. It is only through death, when the true measure of our lives can be determinded, do we find out where we spend the rest of eternity.

#8 JediKnight

JediKnight

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 03:16 AM

Sarah has nothing to gain by just making this kind of stuff up, so there's gotta be a lot of substance to what she's said, especially given that others have come forward too.

Sarah Monahan went to the media first and also struck a deal with Woman's Day for her story. So she does stand to gain plenty. If she wasn't in it for the money she would have went to the Police first. At the time of the offence, she was too scared to say anything (she claims) because the show was paying her family's rent. So it begs the question, why didn't she say something once she had left the show?

Ben Oxenbould has also made claims he saw Robert Hughes manhandling a young actress, but says he was told to shut up by the execs so he did. If he was at all concerned way back then, he should have stepped up and outed Hughes, but that would have meant he would get the sack. But no, he chose Money and Fame over the welfare of a young girl. That makes his claims rather ambiguous at best. His boast that he's being a man to protect the girls now is so transparent you can see his liver.

Now Simone Buchanan has chimed in with her 2 cents also claiming Hughes "touched" her. Pffft what a load.

If this is their way of making a comeback, it's a pretty fucked way of doing it.

Many suspect that all this is a money grabbing stunt by all three. Especially Monahan who hasn't been in any TV show or Movie since 1996. And Oxenbould only gets bit parts in low level TV shows. Buchanan is the only one that has had minor success after Hey Dad!, and she is now in Neighbours ... a huge leap forward (/sarcasm). Woman's Crap .. er I mean Day, has offered juicy money to all three for their stories. Their claims they are doing this to "protect: women are bogus.

Now I'm not defending Robert Hughes, and if it comes to light that he did commit these offences, then the Law will decide his fate. It's just too bad Channel 9 and A Current Farce seem to have convicted him already. But he'll be punished either way. His life will be in ruins, innocent or not.

Watch this clip from "Hey Dad! Where are they now?" ... Do they look upset and unhappy about their time on the show?

The fact he's living in Singapore is a tad bit suss...

Not really. Robert has stated many times that he loves the country and he visited it a lot in the 70s and 80s, and he said always wanted to live there. Wanting to live in Singapore doesn't make him suspect at all. And considering the extremely strict laws in Singapore, it would be an odd place to "hide". If he was really guilty and he knew it, he would have gone to Brazil, which afaik doesn't have an extradition treaty with Australia (unless that's changed), or some country where no-one could touch him.

Edited by JediKnight, 26 March 2010 - 03:22 AM.

It's time for spice, and the lucky spice is ... paprika!!! ... "Oh thank you, thank you, thank you! You've made me the happiest spice in the world!"

#9 Director

Director

Immortal

• Hero
  • 40,460 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:44 AM

Riddle: What does channel nine have in common with the Catholic Church?

"The most powerful tool in the hand of the opressor is the mind of the opressed."-- Steve Biko

Those Who Dance Are Considered Insane by Those Who Can’t Hear the Music.

#10 Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley

Charge

• Atomican
  • 348 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:34 AM

I don't mean to lessen the accusations at all. But, when the first people that you tell is the media, it's detracts somewhat from the integriy of the person.
If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards...Checkmate -Zapp Brannigan (The man with no name)

#11 twinair

twinair

Immortal

• Hero
  • 47,697 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:50 AM

guess is that channel 7 will be charged with deformation...

While they're at it why don't they charge the elephant man too!
This aint no fuckin' bible study. I didn't come here to save whales. I came here to shake my dick and have a great time.

#12 SlurmsMackenzie

SlurmsMackenzie

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,620 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:52 AM

What happened to innocent until proven guilty? People seem to be condeming the guy already

#13 Director

Director

Immortal

• Hero
  • 40,460 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:52 AM

"personS", there are more than one complainant.

"The most powerful tool in the hand of the opressor is the mind of the opressed."-- Steve Biko

Those Who Dance Are Considered Insane by Those Who Can’t Hear the Music.

#14 MrFriendly

MrFriendly

Guru

• Hero
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:37 AM

What happened to innocent until proven guilty? People seem to be condeming the guy already

Because while there's a court case and they guy has the chance to face his accusers you can't sell your story to the media for a princely sum.

If this guy is guilty, by all means, go to town on him, but when I read about this yesterday the police actually came out and said that it's interesting that no one has as yet come to them about the issue yet.

Trial by media seems to be a popular way to subvert the justice system these days.
Wake and meditate. How do lifeless subatomic particles harmonize to become conscious... and produce this thought about themselves?

#15 Skull

Skull

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,248 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:03 AM

Kimmo undresses me with his eyes, and inappropriately touches me. I need to get it off my chest.

#16 Gharphield

Gharphield

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 30,070 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:08 AM

JediKnight: Nicely summed up mate, and I couldn't agree more. +1 right there.
You shoulda tapped

#17 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,816 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:17 AM

I'm not surprised there was a coverup, if the matter was revealed much earlier the show would have been killed off and money lost.

Coal is the future of our demise

#18 MrFriendly

MrFriendly

Guru

• Hero
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:34 AM

I'm not surprised there was a coverup, if the matter was revealed much earlier the show would have been killed off and money lost.

allegedly

I just can't help be feel if they were actually serious about justice they would have gone to the courts first, it would have still made the same media fuss.
Wake and meditate. How do lifeless subatomic particles harmonize to become conscious... and produce this thought about themselves?

#19 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,816 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:41 AM

allegedly

I just can't help be feel if they were actually serious about justice they would have gone to the courts first, it would have still made the same media fuss.

It's hard to say about the court process for these kind of problems - now and at the time of filming of the show. Maybe it was a lot harder to prove these things compared to like it is now. The show stopped in 1994, and a lot of legal precdent has changed in 15 years.

Edited by Jeruselem, 26 March 2010 - 09:46 AM.

Coal is the future of our demise

#20 MrFriendly

MrFriendly

Guru

• Hero
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:52 AM

allegedly

It's hard to say about the court process for these kind of problems - now and at the time of filming of the show. Maybe it was a lot harder to prove these things compared to like it is now. The show stopped in 1994, and a lot of legal precdent has changed in 15 years.

And they've waited an entire 15 years to say something, all of them, any one of them could have said something.

Out of no where, one of them goes to the media. Not to the police, but the media. If he's a pedophile he belongs behind bars, yes? This course of action will not achieve that, it will not stop him offending again. It hurts his reputation here, and they get to sell their story.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users