• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,919 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:51 PM

Apparently, "experts" are still providing bullshit advice for buying Windows. So here's the smackdown:

Misconception: I can buy OEM software if I buy a mouse/keyboard/power cable.

Fact: OEM software is designed to allow system builders to install an operating system and/or other software on a system they have built. It is not designed to be a cheap source of Windows software for end users.

Fact: OEM software generally comes in three-packs. They consist of a plain cardboard package, bearing the system builder agreement. These packs are to be sold from suppliers to suppliers, or from suppliers to system builders. More recently, single copies are available, which come in a white cardboard sleeve. This is essentially the same as a three pack, but obviously with only one third of the content.

Fact: System builders are able to sell you system-builder one- or three-packs provided that the seal has not been broken. This transfers the role of system builder from the store to you. They are also within their rights to refuse to sell you sealed system builder packages, because they're a business and can decide what to sell, and what not to sell. "You may only distribute unopened Packs within your territory."

Fact: System builders ARE NOT ALLOWED to individually sell you OEM software which is NOT inside the cardboard packaging. Once this packaging has been broken, the system builder is obligated to install that software on a complete system only. "For each unit of Software in the Pack, you must pre-install one copy of the Software on a Customer System prior to distribution."

Fact: A complete system must contain all of: a CPU, a motherboard, a power supply, an internally mounted NAND (SSD) or revolving magnetic-based hard drive, and a case.

This is the system builder licence, as found on the cardboard packaging of a 1- or 3-pack.

http://oem.microsoft...nse_English.pdf

Unlike a retail copy of Windows, OEM copies are eternally bound to the system they are installed on. The recipient of the "built" system which the OEM copy was supplied with has no rights to transfer that software, or install it on another machine.

HTH

Edit: Now with pictures!

Pretty pictures:

A "system builder 1-pack" looks like this:

Posted Image

This is what you'll find inside:

Posted Image

The former can be transferred from one system builder to another. The latter cannot, and MUST be installed on a complete system before it it sold.

Edited by SquallStrife, 02 July 2010 - 02:23 PM.

SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#2 iamthemaxx

iamthemaxx

Super Hero

• Super Hero
  • 29,287 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:54 PM

Which is why ponying up for Technet can be a hell of a lot easier if you are a heavy MS user.

#3 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,919 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:58 PM

Which is why ponying up for Technet can be a hell of a lot easier if you are a heavy MS user.

You're not wrong! :D
四時半を待っています!

#4 Hubbo

Hubbo

Master

• Atomican
  • 561 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 05:07 PM

You do realise this thread is going to be ignored and the same questions are going to be asked next week/month????? ;)
"There is no charge for awesomeness.... or attractiveness."

#5 iamthemaxx

iamthemaxx

Super Hero

• Super Hero
  • 29,287 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 05:20 PM

You're not wrong! :D

That said I think most smaller sellers are happy to let an OEM copy go with a small amount of tech, ie not a whole system.
They need to make money and the reality is MS audits these guys maybe once an eternity, so even though the terms are as above, it's not a hard thing to get someone to stretch it.

#6 bowiee

bowiee

Guru

• Hero
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 05:23 PM

Of course the best thing about OEM is the price point. As for buying it all you have to do is say you are a system builder, I notice at Umart you now sign a document stating you are a system builder and that the copy of windows will be supplied and installed on a system you build and then sell on. As for it being locked to a system that is so, but people still get around activation by saying they had to replace their motherboard, but it is still the same computer. I think anyone who has read the OEM agreement knows how is is supposed to be implemented, but also knows it can be, shall we say, gotten around.

#7 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,663 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 05:24 PM

The only way I could get WHS was to buy a system builder copy. I was actually able to buy it from a retailer without the purchase of any hardware. They only had one SKU of WHS initially, which was replaced by the PP1, PP2 and PP3 SKUs as they were released.
Put your monkey where your mouth is. These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu. What's On My Mind? http://twitter.com/smadge1 http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

#8 Chewhacca

Chewhacca

Charge

• Atomican
  • 469 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:35 AM

Should be a sticky.

#9 strifus

strifus

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:19 PM

I do have a question. What would be the reason to be subsribed to technet and what will it cost? I only seen technet bundles lying around in an internet cafe a friend on mine owned but I didnt really know what it was for. What are the pros and cons for subscribing to it and so on.
Intel Core i7 3930K, Gigabyte x79-UD5, 16GB Corsair Vengence RAM, EVGA 670GTX, 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, 3 x 1TB Hitachi HDD, LG BD-DVD Optical Drive, Corsair TX 750 PSU, CoolerMaster Hyper 412s HSF, CoolerMaster Cosmos II Tower.

#10 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,314 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:27 AM

I do have a question. What would be the reason to be subsribed to technet and what will it cost? I only seen technet bundles lying around in an internet cafe a friend on mine owned but I didnt really know what it was for. What are the pros and cons for subscribing to it and so on.

Read
http://technet.micro...s/bb871040.aspx
and
http://technet.micro...s/ms772427.aspx
and
http://technet.micro...s/bb892759.aspx
In particular
Microsoft Software Licensed for Evaluation Purposes
Access over 70+ full-version Microsoft software without any time or feature limits for evaluation purposes only(1). The list of Microsoft software available is based on subscription level. Whether it be an Enterprise or Desktop environment, you can make informed decisions about new technologies and deployments at your own pace and become the strategic IT advisor for your organization.
(1)Software is licensed for evaluation purposes only—not for use in production environments. TechNet Subscriptions include the most recent Microsoft software version. Visit Microsoft Software License Terms for details on your use rights for evaluation software and other components of the TechNet Subscription product.

Depending on subscription prices range from $337.00 AUD per year for the standard sub up to $1048.00 AUD per year for the professional sub.

http://technet.micro...s/bb892756.aspx compares the different subs and http://download.micr...oduct_List.xlsx
compares what you get access too (XLSX file).

Note that if your friend was using the technet subscriptions on his net cafe PCs then he was breaking the licence he agreed to when he signed up for technet. He should have bought either OEM, retail or perhaps volume licences for use in the net cafe.

Edited by aliali, 27 June 2010 - 10:29 AM.

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

#11 arkiek

arkiek

Charge

• Atomican
  • 301 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:07 PM

so technically if i was to install it on a pc and upgrade a part or two every month it would still count as the original system right
"you atomicans are never more nimble than when i'm throwing shit at you" hawkeye at atomic unlocked sydney

#12 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,919 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:43 PM

A part or two, sure. Gutting the case and building a new system? No, not so much.
四時半を待っています!

#13 robzy

robzy

Immortal

• Hero
  • 42,882 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:57 AM

:`( Just because I'm having trouble sticking to my diet...

Rob.

#14 strifus

strifus

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:41 AM

Im not sure what he did as this was some years ago, circa 2006. All I remember seeing is that he had this huge folder on his office desk, blue and white with black trim. I didnt take a look at what was inside, and around his desk, were other folders from microsoft. Oh, and I am pretty sure that he didnt use that for his 40 or so computers. IIRC, he bought 40 separate OEM licences or something as each machine had a licence sticker on it. EDIT: After browsing aliali's links I found out that the folder I was talking about was a Microsoft Action Pack.

Edited by strifus, 29 June 2010 - 12:56 AM.

Intel Core i7 3930K, Gigabyte x79-UD5, 16GB Corsair Vengence RAM, EVGA 670GTX, 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, 3 x 1TB Hitachi HDD, LG BD-DVD Optical Drive, Corsair TX 750 PSU, CoolerMaster Hyper 412s HSF, CoolerMaster Cosmos II Tower.

#15 mark84

mark84

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,711 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:49 AM

Are installs done with technet subscriptions still valid after subscription expiry?

Desktop: i7 6850K @ 4.3GHz | Titan X (Pascal) | 32GB RAM | 120GB + 500GB SSDs | 2x 5TB HDD in RAID1

Server: G3258 @4.6GHz | 120GB SSD | 2x 4TB RAID1 | 2x 6TB RAID1

Desktop build log | Firefox AtomicMPC Menu | The Truth About Graphics Power Requirements V2 | CPU bench league

www.atomicsimracing.net - The place for Atomicans who love motor sports and sim racing.

#16 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,919 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:35 PM

Are installs done with technet subscriptions still valid after subscription expiry?

Pretty sure that the T's n C's say that you can continue to download software and use keys you claimed during the subscription after your sub expires.

You can't claim new software though.
四時半を待っています!

#17 lunchbox1988

lunchbox1988

Guru

• Atomican
  • 8,433 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:08 AM

Pretty sure that the T's n C's say that you can continue to download software and use keys you claimed during the subscription after your sub expires.

Unable to download nything after it expires, but getting a new sub does allow you to access all downloads on previous subs as I found out last week.

#18 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,919 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:08 PM

Unable to download nything after it expires, but getting a new sub does allow you to access all downloads on previous subs as I found out last week.

Yeah, mine expired shortly after I posted that. I can still see and use my keys, but I can't download anything.
四時半を待っています!

#19 lunchbox1988

lunchbox1988

Guru

• Atomican
  • 8,433 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:21 PM

Yea, I promptly got over how hard it was to source the install media outside of having an active subscription, so I renewed, I might download all ISOs I could ever nee while it is active and store them somewhere...

#20 Lambo

Lambo

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 22,976 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

I thought it's worth noting that MS has changed the rules regarding OEM Windows 8 licensing.

Microsoft now include what's called a personal use license:

http://www.microsoft...bid=lkxHKYysiSP

No more hoops to jump through when asking for OEM Windows 8. You can buy it straight over the counter, no questions asked.

Should note that those that want to buy Windows 7 will still have to follow the previous rules. I would also like to point out that the definition of a system builder is really anyone that is for all purposes building their own PC. There is still nothing wrong with an end user acting as a system builder as long as they take on all the responsibilities that it entails.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users