• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 21,363 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:35 PM

I've been wondering. What do people expect in a product review? Rather, what do people want in a review?

Focus on computing components such as GPUs, CPUs, SSDs etc. Do you like reading about the history of the part/test, or do you prefer a concise set of performance graphs? What do you hate, what do you like, and how would you improve either?

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

An open mind is willing to consider new ideas, while provisionally accepting those backed by empirical evidence, and provisionally rejecting those without.

#2 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,685 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:42 PM

I always like comparisons to similar products, but that only works if the reviewer has played with a bunch of similar products.
Put your monkey where your mouth is. These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu. What's On My Mind? http://twitter.com/smadge1 http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

#3 LogicprObe

LogicprObe

Colossus

• Banned
  • 66,256 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:27 PM

I like a bit of history on the components........the test I don't really care about as long as similar parts are tested with the same test and we end up with a comparison graph.

#4 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 21,363 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:00 PM

I like a bit of history on the components.......

How in-depth? Pages long, or a short summary with links?

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

An open mind is willing to consider new ideas, while provisionally accepting those backed by empirical evidence, and provisionally rejecting those without.

#5 metasynaptic

metasynaptic

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:05 PM

I like to know: Sheer number crunching performance: eg frames per second Cost: in australian clams. Performance vs Cost: is it good value for money vs other similar products? Quality of workmanship: is it going to break down/need a RMA? What sort of maintenance the product is likey to need: do I have to keep cleaning the thing every 3 months? How soon I'm likely to need to replace it: whether though time of life or obsolescance.

#6 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 21,363 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:03 PM

How do you guys like the data displayed? What types of tests would you run, or avoid?

#7 LogicprObe

LogicprObe

Colossus

• Banned
  • 66,256 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:25 PM

I like a bit of history on the components.......

How in-depth? Pages long, or a short summary with links?

Links in a mag are useless.
I never use them....others might.
It just wastes characters, I reckon.
I prefer a summary as if I want to know more, I can google it up or get a book from the library.

#8 tantryl

tantryl

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 41,933 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:34 PM

Expect, not want? Well that varies depending on the author, topic and publication. HardwareSecrets reviewing PSUs? I expect the best. CNET reviewing a big brand name release? I expect advertising.
"Unless I call you a stupid goddamn liar to your face, I'm being light hearted." - tantryl, to all you evil fucks "Two things. Number one; I get hard when a woman cries. Number two; your daughter will never walk again." - Dr Glenn Richie

#9 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 21,363 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:55 PM

Expect, not want?

Both. 'Want' is probably more useful though.

#10 tantryl

tantryl

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 41,933 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:17 AM

More what and how much, less why and what you think about it. I look at what technical advantages a product has above another. If the thing it produces is of a higher quality or quanitity. Why is it better? I don't really care. You can get all geeky about MHz, GHz, GB, pathways, whatever. That's nice and all, but no matter how well the jouranlist dumbs it down you'll never really understand the complexity required to produce the technology. You don't have the education and there's a reasonable chance you don't even have the intelligence regardless of education. What the technical advantages are - higher quality graphics, more efficient at certain kinds of processing, superior power usage and heat dispersion etc. What are the measurements - how does it compare to existing and recently redundant procucts in pure measurable performance. And how much it costs versus it's performance. It's value. This is hard in magazines since they're invariable weeks behind and use non-market value. But still.
"Unless I call you a stupid goddamn liar to your face, I'm being light hearted." - tantryl, to all you evil fucks "Two things. Number one; I get hard when a woman cries. Number two; your daughter will never walk again." - Dr Glenn Richie

#11 mark84

mark84

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,715 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:49 AM

+1 to tantryl's comment However I also like to know what sets the particular item apart from or keeps it close to others and how it impacts its function. eg a video card has less shaders but higher clock speed so that might be why it performs similarly to its more expensive sibling. Or a CPU has less L3 cache than another and that's why it performs worse in such'n'such a benchmark. Sort of how it's specs impact the end experience for the user compared to similar products.

Desktop: i7 6850K @ 4.3GHz | Titan X (Pascal) | 32GB RAM | 120GB + 500GB SSDs | 2x 5TB HDD in RAID1

Server: G3258 @4.6GHz | 120GB SSD | 2x 4TB RAID1 | 2x 6TB RAID1

Desktop build log | Firefox AtomicMPC Menu | The Truth About Graphics Power Requirements V2 | CPU bench league

www.atomicsimracing.net - The place for Atomicans who love motor sports and sim racing.

#12 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,712 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:11 AM

With due respect to Tantryl and Mark, Atomic always was the geek's magazine. The target audience want to know why x is better than y. If you just want to know that it is, you'd be better off with a different mag.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#13 tantryl

tantryl

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 41,933 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:47 AM

The thing is that if you actually want to know about the architecture it's easy to get the whitepapers or read features on them. Keep in mind here I'm talking about product reviews, not features. Features are a good place to talk about architecture. In reviews they just take up space. *EDIT* Using HS's PSU reviews as an example again - they take the PSU apart and let you know the components. They don't give you an extended lesson about what those components are because they already have non-review articles dealing with what they mean. They say this is the component - it's used in this sort of thing - it's been used in the past in other high/low quality products.

Edited by tantryl, 25 June 2010 - 11:49 AM.

#14 bowiee

bowiee

Guru

• Hero
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:56 AM

I must admit I like a new product to be broken down so I can see why it preforms better/worse than it's rival, like the break down of the AMD x6 in issue 114. So I guess what I am saying is I like the way it's done at the moment, explaining the fine details, but also at a glance I can see by looking at the little graph at the end of the article how it stacked up. I guess you could say the little graph is there for people who just want to know if a product is better/worse with out knowing why.

#15 tantryl

tantryl

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 41,933 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:14 PM

If a review has one little graph, then you're not coming remotely close to providing what I'm asking for. I'm after exhaustive testing in every possible field applicable against a wide array of competitors including ones that are NOT in the same price range/generation.

Edited by tantryl, 25 June 2010 - 12:15 PM.

#16 VannA

VannA

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 13,662 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:49 PM

Pretty much what Tanty said. I want reviews carried out in a relatively standard, well publicised testbox. I want comparitive results from the same text box on the same products. I want those results re-tested! When some part of the testbox changes to match the general population tech-level.

#17 Sir_Substance

Sir_Substance

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,747 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:56 PM

I like features other then its raw performance reviewed. For example, most gaming mice are much of a muchness when it comes to sensor performance, but it would be really nice to know how sweaty the palm grip gets. I also agree on reviewing its construction. Thats something you often dont see in reviews.
Kablez- You can only beat a brick wall with so many sticks until... you wasted all your time collecting and breaking sticks against a wall... Tantryl- Knowledge is the new power, but will never provide a stable baseload as cost effective as burning puppies. mm80x: I allege that Sir substance must be from the internet

#18 LogicprObe

LogicprObe

Colossus

• Banned
  • 66,256 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:34 AM

I think the sweatyness of the palm is more about the user than the mouse.

#19 bowiee

bowiee

Guru

• Hero
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:51 AM

As is the hairiness and stickiness of the palm.

#20 mark84

mark84

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,715 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:06 PM

As is the hairiness and stickiness of the palm.

People have hair on their palms?

Desktop: i7 6850K @ 4.3GHz | Titan X (Pascal) | 32GB RAM | 120GB + 500GB SSDs | 2x 5TB HDD in RAID1

Server: G3258 @4.6GHz | 120GB SSD | 2x 4TB RAID1 | 2x 6TB RAID1

Desktop build log | Firefox AtomicMPC Menu | The Truth About Graphics Power Requirements V2 | CPU bench league

www.atomicsimracing.net - The place for Atomicans who love motor sports and sim racing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users