• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 millionmice

millionmice

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:45 PM

I'm trying to find a media player which displays minute:second:frame. I've tried VLC and media player classic, but no joy. Any ideas? I'm using this to time how long an injection takes as part of a more complex experiment for a thesis.
When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. -C.S. Lewis

#2 robzy

robzy

Immortal

• Hero
  • 42,886 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:51 PM

I'm trying to find a media player which displays minute:second:frame. I've tried VLC and media player classic, but no joy. Any ideas?

I'm using this to time how long an injection takes as part of a more complex experiment for a thesis.

How "media player" does it need to be?

I believe that VirtualDub would be perfect for this.

Not to mention that the left/right arrow keys can be used to scroll through a video frame-by-frame when you have it paused.

Rob.

#3 millionmice

millionmice

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:39 PM

It needs to display video. I don't care about the sound. VirtualDub looks perfect, but I can't open my files in it. It can't 'see' it in open, and gives an error if I drag-and-drop it in. GSpot lists my files as MPEG-4.
When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. -C.S. Lewis

#4 robzy

robzy

Immortal

• Hero
  • 42,886 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:52 PM

Is it in an AVI container?

If I recall correctly VirtualDub only works if its in an AVI container. Sorry, I forgot about this before.

You could use VLC to chance the files container, or alternatively you can grab ffmpeg.exe from the internet and run at the command line:

ffmpeg -i INPUTFILE.MKV -vcodec copy -acodec copy OUTPUTFILE.AVI

Rob.

Edited by robzy, 29 June 2010 - 06:53 PM.

#5 millionmice

millionmice

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:33 PM

I was hoping to avoid having to convert the file. But thanks, I'll bear that in mind.

#6 robzy

robzy

Immortal

• Hero
  • 42,886 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:30 PM

You're not actually converting the file. The actual video and audio data in it will be exactly the same. Every single bit will be just as it was. The only difference is that rather than being in an MKV (or MPG, or M4V or FLV) container it will be in an AVI container. Rob.

#7 PC FREAK

PC FREAK

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:03 PM

http://neuron2.net/d...c/dgmpgdec.html
Desktop: i7 860 | Gigabyte P55-UD4P | G.skillz Ripjaws 2000mhz | HD4890 Laptop: Mac Book | 4GB RAM

#8 millionmice

millionmice

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:52 PM

"Caught an exception during decoding! Continue?" I suspect this is because it is MPEG-4, and dg only supports 1 and 2. Ack, why must codecs cause such problems. Looks like I'll go with robzy's suggestion, thanks mate! Addition: Hey, quicktime does it. Or at least, it displays the frame number, which I can convert to the right format easily using gspot to pull the FPS.

Edited by millionmice, 30 June 2010 - 02:52 PM.

#9 Athiril

Athiril

Guru

• Atomican
  • 12,484 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:05 PM

There's AviDemux which should do it fine.
"Comedians can fuck up, and being called out on it is important." - Robzy "For the record, I have a good joke, but I shouldn't post it" - Robzy "I haven't heard anything like this before but anything is possible!" - Leonid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users