• Please log in to reply
787 replies to this topic

#21 tastywheat

tastywheat

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:47 PM

What makes it your favourite place to play? I think this is the issue, there's a wide variety in what people want from this place. For me it's always been the personalities, and I imagine other people are similar. Since people come and go, your perception of how 'well' things are going will fluctuate depending on who's actively posting. The *ods have little input in this regard, they're only there to keep the peace.

#22 plebsmacker

plebsmacker

Titan

• Hero
  • 25,776 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:15 PM

There is a lot of technical knowledge within the generous users of this forum and there is the general chat, both mutually exclusive. I've been here a while and the calls of "this happens every few months" doesn't really stand. It doesn't, I've seen it quoted but that isn't really what is going on. I've never seen the thread or post count this low, perhaps I have rose coloured glasses on but something needs to change in order to draw people back. It's becoming more like a failing business model than a community, sure there are spats and things are said that are uncalled for, I'm guilty of that I know, but when something as minimal as the acquisition of a mouse for the winner of the POTM, something many of our funny and knowledgeable members strive for, becomes an issue because the company who've taken ownership wont pay for it, I think it sends a strong message to the masses. You figure that message out for yourself, I'm sure a Dawson pic is coming my way soon.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

#23 LogicprObe

LogicprObe

Colossus

• Banned
  • 66,256 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:20 PM

What makes it your favourite place to play?

I think this is the issue, there's a wide variety in what people want from this place. For me it's always been the personalities, and I imagine other people are similar. Since people come and go, your perception of how 'well' things are going will fluctuate depending on who's actively posting. The *ods have little input in this regard, they're only there to keep the peace.

That doesn't happen anymore.
Most vigorous discussions are shut down or deleted before they hardly get started.

#24 MrFriendly

MrFriendly

Guru

• Hero
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:25 PM

Personally, I haven't been posting much these days because the place simply doesn't have much to gauge my interest anymore. Is that a problem of mine, or the forums? Truth is, at the moment I don't have the time to create threads to make the place a bit more interesting. But on one note, I'm kinda sick and tired of watching good OP's being forever derailed by the same usual suspects for the same old reasons. The same tired old feuds between members, the same old agendas, and same old axes to grind over perceived wrong doings over the years. New members that do come on board are constantly accused of being alts, quite persistently by some, and end up either being exposed as actual alts or in the case of genuine new users leave because they don't feel welcome or inclined to deal with peoples bullshit. Atomic does have a wonderful community, but it would be a shame to see that community become stale and stagnate because some refuse to put the past behind them and feel they have to protect their turf at the cost of being welcoming to new comers. /my 2c

Edited by MrFriendly, 28 July 2010 - 08:36 PM.

Wake and meditate. How do lifeless subatomic particles harmonize to become conscious... and produce this thought about themselves?

#25 krispy89

krispy89

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:30 PM

Most vigorous discussions are shut down or deleted before they hardly get started.

I beg to differ:

To ban or not to ban.

I mainly believe it's a cycle, once something pops up, there's heated activity by the community, after that, if something doesn't cover the transition from that discussion to something of importance, activity slows down.

Edited by krispy89, 28 July 2010 - 08:32 PM.

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up isn't"
"Never lose your inner kid"

#26 iamthemaxx

iamthemaxx

Super Hero

• Super Hero
  • 29,287 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:31 PM

I reckon plebs and MrF have some good points.

#27 eveln

eveln

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,901 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:36 PM

I thought the most recent decline was due to the bloody footy / soccer etc... Will it never bloody end !! Also parts of plebs and Mr Friendly's posts make sense.

Laugh to Live . Live to Laugh.

atomic has π

#28 tastywheat

tastywheat

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:38 PM

It's becoming more like a failing business model than a community, sure there are spats and things are said that are uncalled for, I'm guilty of that I know, but when something as minimal as the acquisition of a mouse for the winner of the POTM, something many of our funny and knowledgeable members strive for, becomes an issue because the company who've taken ownership wont pay for it, I think it sends a strong message to the masses.

Hmm... Now that you mention it, I agree this is one area where the *ods can encourage community involvement. A mouse or random bit of hardware wouldn't go astray, and the relatively insignificant costs might be justified by the extra traffic it would generate. I'm pretty sure a POTM section advertising the chance to win a mouse is what attracted me from the magazine to the forums in the first place. I figure there's probably issues with bureaucracy preventing this, working out where the money comes from if not from a sponsor.

More frequent hero announcements would be another thing. It's a great way to recognise contributors, and I reckon there's more than a few here who are now worthy.

The rank theme days have been fun, it'd be good to see that sort of thing happen more often. Maybe tie it in with major game releases or current events in the tech world.

#29 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,687 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:47 PM

Posted Image
Put your monkey where your mouth is. These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu. What's On My Mind? http://twitter.com/smadge1 http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

#30 Sir_Substance

Sir_Substance

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,747 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:47 PM

Ok, let's at least try and keep this thread somewhat on-topic.

FTR, we've been having lengthy discussions about the direction of the forum.

Sharing is caring.
Kablez- You can only beat a brick wall with so many sticks until... you wasted all your time collecting and breaking sticks against a wall... Tantryl- Knowledge is the new power, but will never provide a stable baseload as cost effective as burning puppies. mm80x: I allege that Sir substance must be from the internet

#31 iamthemaxx

iamthemaxx

Super Hero

• Super Hero
  • 29,287 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:55 PM

As mods, we can't do much about PoTM apart from suggest the posts and ask the community for input - which I've tried in the past to a rather lacklustre outcome as can be seen via the posting in the PoTM threads. More frequent hero's kinda reduces the impact that they have I reckon.

#32 mudg3

mudg3

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,053 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:42 PM

Well does anyone have any ideas how to get people signing up and posting? To be honest in the last couple of weeks I've been on BC2 as "mudg3" and 4 different people asked if I was from atomic. I asked if who they were and they all replied "naa I don't post but I look every day". Even when I started my new job most of the guys there new about the atomic forums and had even seen my user tag a couple of times (It helped me get the job believe it or not) I think the traffic is there but we aren't getting many quality topics posted. I think alot of there is a problem with how the new kids get treated though. they make a post and are pretty much shot down by someone posting a let me google that for you link or something smart ass and not really helping at all. Fuck I've even been guilty of it but thats just one thing that needs to change
3930K ||Corsair H110 || ASUS Rampage IV ||16GB Corsair Vengence DDR3@1877mhz||ATI 7970||250gb Samsung 840||2x4tb||DELL2711||Corsair 650D|| ASUS Essence STX ||Audio Engine A2's||Aiaiai:TMA-1||Enermax 1050w|| Atomics resident filth

#33 LogicprObe

LogicprObe

Colossus

• Banned
  • 66,256 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:56 PM

I beg to differ:

To ban or not to ban.

I mainly believe it's a cycle, once something pops up, there's heated activity by the community, after that, if something doesn't cover the transition from that discussion to something of importance, activity slows down.

I'm not talking about threads that are still there or able to be posted in.

#34 CheekyChops

CheekyChops

Titan

• Hero
  • 17,200 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:14 PM

I agree with Max, more frequent hero announcements reduce the impact of them. But that said, I think Tasty is onto something with more community involvement and interaction. I also would like to stick up for Twinny and others who have a valid point in this, they are not trolling or cryfasing, they are trying to discuss something. Ill admit, I used to be a very frequent poster, I dont have the stats to prove it like some of our heavy users, but its true, I spent much time here. Recently, ive not spent as much time here, but not because of anything to do with members here or events happening here turning me off. My real life has been a bit busy lately, and to be honest, most of the stuff going on I havent been able to discuss openly and publicly online. I think I have been here long enough to be able to talk about the "good old days". Things have changed around here. There is no denying that. People have come and gone, things have changed, and eras have ended. I like to think back to what originally drew me here in the first place...enthusiasm. From both myself and others. Maybe from myself as an overly keen newbie, but definately from other proud established Atomicans. I too feel that especially these days, the enthusiasm has died down a bit. I cant say why this is, I have no theories. Its just a feeling. I still carry a torch for Atomic, I still love you all and love the place. Maybe we are all just past the honeymoon stage of our relationship. We need something to keep the spark and romance alive. Normally, people would take a holiday or a trip. You can do that here, you can take a break from the place and come back fresh. You can try a seperation period and go flirt with another forum and another community. But i think we all really want this to work here...we dont want another forum or another community. There is nothing wrong with needing or recognising you need something to keep the spark or romance alive. I think we have lost alot of spontaniety, and things we found amusing and cute before are now irratating and have little tolerance for. We are seriously like an old married couple. Lets just think about what originally attracted us here, and what kept us here so long, what it was that we just cant let go of and still stick around for. For me, its all of you. I think for alot of people, it would be the same draw card, the people and personalities, the community. If people started leaving here, I wouldnt find it as fun or as great. Id think about leaving too if everyone else did :( I dont know how to fix that though. We can start with more interaction and more of the classic Atomic we fell in love with. The classic Atomic is in all of us, in our better days. I can openly admit that recently I have not been in perfect form, far from it. I should try harder. I have been neglecting you. Basically, I think there was something in the old lines of "community spirit" that we all used to say back in the day and scoffed at for being over the top wanky. Sure, it is a bit dorky, but its true. Who are we kidding, we are all a bit dorky and geeky at heart. There has always been politics around here, and differing opinions. But at the end of the day, we were all Atomicans and that was the important thing, and if at all, our redeeming quality...I think that magic has been lost, that line of thought is gone. And that is the difference. People have stopped caring. It's rather sad :( It isnt totally gone though I guess, its nice to see with Meet X people still care enough to come together. I really am looking forward to the Meet :)
The Gospel According to Chezekiel: I <3 Juggalo Scrub xox Atomic M33t X, Sydney August 21st 2010 - Be there! Winnar of the Atomic Cosplay Comp and Nekkid Comp '07

#35 King_Of_The_Mountain

King_Of_The_Mountain

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,111 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:22 PM

I've had a discussion privately about this, I'm not changing any of my posts to reflect decisions I have made as it has always seemed odd to me for people to do that, if there is no record of the past then we have no way of learning for the future. this discussion brought about a different way of thinking, as it is I don't go into the tech sections (except for tech talk), I don't know of the impact being felt by the technologically minded members of the community. reading through everything though I can see the effect of it though. If that part of the forums is to still exist, then yes, something needs to alter. I only really go into the gaming forums yet it's all parts of the forums that make Atomic the community it is, it has taken something like this for me to truly see that, I know that I will still probably play no part in those sections apart from the casual glance to see if I can help anyone out or asking a question myself there, yet without life in these sections would Atomic have ever existed?
We may have gotten stronger but I believe we have become greater fools.

#36 tastywheat

tastywheat

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:42 PM

More frequent hero's kinda reduces the impact that they have I reckon.

At the moment, the system is geared towards well established members. This is good, but to some extent it limits and even precludes the involvement of new members. Announcing fewer heros more often has a few advantages. For starters, it keeps the community dynamic. Members that would otherwise come and go before the annual announcement was made would get to see atomic history in the making, bringing the community closer together.

The standards should remain the same, and the announcement definitely shouldn't be something regular. A sporadic announcement made as a person earns the title would be most effective in my opinion. It allows for a more immediate feedback mechanism, and encourages speculation and healthy competition amongst new members.

Edited by tastywheat, 28 July 2010 - 10:45 PM.

#37 bowiee

bowiee

Guru

• Hero
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:57 PM

People have been talking about Atomic going to the dogs from time to time, yet here we all are. And I think we will still be around for years to come:)

Some examples:

http://archive.atomi...p...;c=4&t=4275

http://archive.atomi...p...;c=4&t=2573

Mod complaint threads are to many to mention, lol.

http://archive.atomi...p...;c=4&t=4254

http://archive.atomi...p...;c=4&t=4224

Edited by bowiee, 28 July 2010 - 11:00 PM.

#38 morris

morris

Cam Whore

• Super Hero
  • 25,641 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:06 PM

For a while there were numerous heroes announced rather frequently. But when was the last Hero announcement? And the one before that? What drew me here was the creativity and passion for technology and pushing it. The passion is still around, but the creativity is only in tiny pockets now. When's the last computer/anything mod been done? There's a few arcade machines that have been built and that's it. They barely get noticed around here anymore. Games sure, but people pushing their tech and doing things with it that you weren't meant to? When was the last time you saw something like the LED Tacho indicator that Darkkon, Goth and others all worked on together? When's the last time Dan Rutter took something apart because he could? (btw I'd love to see how the new XBox 360 differs internally to the older one) What brought me here has significantly faded. I stick around for a few people.
@--}----- Life's a joke. And we all need laughter

#39 King_Of_The_Mountain

King_Of_The_Mountain

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,111 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:22 PM

Hey, I blew up my processor and am now using a shitty laptop from clocking it too hard for too long, I love making the computer speccy.
We may have gotten stronger but I believe we have become greater fools.

#40 elvenwhore

elvenwhore

SuperHero

• Mod
  • 11,664 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:38 PM

It's certainly an interesting topic, and I think this thread has been host to many valuable insights already :-) Certainly it has yielded a lot of quality food for thought.

A lot of us who are posting here in this thread are going to be influenced by our personal investment in the site - we care about Atomic :-) And that's a great thing to have under our belts. Even the frustrations and the angst the community experiences may hide this truth at its core - people care about Atomic, they care about the wellbeing of this place and it colours their reactions, for good or ill.

Like many things in life, however, this sense of care can be a double-edged blade, especially as the forum grows older. It's a natural progression, that people feel personal attachment to and pride in something they invest a lot of time in. A strong or even over-inflated sense of entitlement is a natural result of familiarity in an environment and personal investment in a situation. After all, a lot of us have spent a lot of time here over the years :-) This can add an extra layer of complexity to forum interactions; again, for good or ill.

People have their own motivations and their own reasons for posting (or not posting, as the case may be), and that adds an entirely new layer of complexity. Already in this thread we can see people volunteering their personal motivations, and that does provide us with valuable insight. The computing landscape has changed, Atomic has changed, the userbase has changed. Like plebs mentioned earlier, I'm not entirely convinced that the cyclic nature of the forums is the definitive answer here - I think it's entirely possible it's a contributing factor but I think it could be folly to reduce a very complex situation to a simplistic overview such as that.

That we're even having this discussion can be viewed as a positive thing, because it means that people do care about this place, it means people are paying attention to what's happening. And I'd much rather debate and discussion on a topic such as this, than mild complacency :-)

So, those who run this joint...what gives? What are you doing about it?

What are you doing about it? :-) What am I doing about it, or this or that person? You've certainly posed a valid question here, twinair, and whilst it has been pointed out that we all have a hand in this situation, it is also true that there are some things the general userbase (necessarily) can't be across.

hmmm, some good posts in here, some good insights into the delicious minds of Atomicans :-)

edit: tags

Edited by elvenwhore, 28 July 2010 - 11:38 PM.

Everything I say has come before. Everything I say has come before. Wait - dammit! Oh well, I like you more than reject popcorn bits :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users