• Please log in to reply
787 replies to this topic

#41 Athiril

Athiril

Guru

• Atomican
  • 12,484 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:37 AM

Imho green room has never been equivalent to quality in the first place. I would therefore say this is normal for the green room, and that when it's not of a low standard, I'd call it odd.
"Comedians can fuck up, and being called out on it is important." - Robzy "For the record, I have a good joke, but I shouldn't post it" - Robzy "I haven't heard anything like this before but anything is possible!" - Leonid

#42 nesquick

nesquick

Titan

• Atomican
  • 19,783 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:48 AM

My biggest problem is the only good place to post is in the tech section which I like but would like to post more in the green room but I usually don't because one of three things will happen: 1. Someone will be a cunt cause im not part of the close knit club. 2. I will have to clarify something that is common knowledge or a minor detail for example about 5-6 times. 3. The thread turns into a pissing match cause someone doesn't think anyone elses opinion is valid. So I stay in the tech sections where there is minimal BS lately.
STEAM/BC2 name: AllNightmareLong

#43 Leonid

Leonid

Immortal

• Atomican't
  • 40,545 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:02 AM

I've been on Atomic since the third day of the forums' operation.

The present level of activity is slower than any time I remember - slower even than during the Rugby World Cup and the last 3 FIFA World Cups.

I can suggest a solution: don't ban people because they stay within the rules and piss others off. Cause then you may as well ban me, Juggs, plebs, twinny, Logic, Middy, chrisg and Ry and then have the remaining 10 prolific users of this forum participate in site-wide exercises of vehement agreement.

Ban people when they actively break the rules, clearly and comprehensively - not because some users decided they didn't like their atrocious grammar corrected or the flaws in their argument micro-dissected.

In other words, it's time for another amnesty - at this low point of traffic, I'd be happy to see even TheSecret, just_some_guy and The_End re-instated. Fuck, bring back Orestes and the weirdo equine - lets get some life into this place.

Edited by Leonid, 29 July 2010 - 01:07 AM.

"I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees." - Stephane Charbonnier (1967-2015)

"If liberty means anything, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." - George Orwell

#44 Herpes

Herpes

Learner

• Quark
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:20 AM

I'd rather no posts than shit posts. The only person I wanted to see back from the amnesty was R/R, who's moved well and truly on. All we ended up getting back with it were big-noters and threadshitters who serve no purpose but to demonstrate why forums have a ban function to start with. (With all apologies to anyone who's come back with quality and escaped my attention :p)
See you real soon.

#45 CheekyChops

CheekyChops

Titan

• Hero
  • 17,201 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:20 AM

Juggs came back, and that rocked my world. In fact, the amnesty in general rocked my world. If you think it was a negative thing, well then, that is your loss. This is the kind of attitude I was talking about earlier, whats with that? Just because you dont agree with them or dont like them much doesnt make them less valuable here. They are highly valuable here. 1shot was recently banned, I will truely miss him around here. He taught me so much. I like to think i get along with him, but I know there were times we didnt lol. Yes, I would sometimes find his pedantry very annoying, but you know what? He taught me a very valuable lesson in being thorough to the enth degree. Times when I really needed to cover my arse at work, id think "what would 1shot do" and think about any little loop hole or semantics that could leave me wide open. LOL yes, I asked myself "what would 1shot do" bwahaha :) But not only that, he made me more aware of my own actions, and others. He taught me to be careful and thorough. Not an easy lesson to learn, but he did it well from just being himself. I really do thank him for it. My god he annoyed me sometimes, but he knows I love him. I do, Sam, if you are out there reading :) It might not be clear to you now, or ever, but his influence here was big, and many others who you deem as thread shitters and big noters, you might not agree with their methods, but if you sit back and watch objectively for a while, you will learn something from them. Even people i dont get along with are valuable to me. I never got on well with Grams for example, but she is another who taught me a very important lesson, 2 actually. Maybe its just attitude, I have a pretty positive attitude with members here, not everyone shares my attitude though, I guess. You dont have to like them or get on with them, but to deny their value and quality is really stupid. They absolutely are worthy of their tags and place here. /shrugs
The Gospel According to Chezekiel: I <3 Juggalo Scrub xox Atomic M33t X, Sydney August 21st 2010 - Be there! Winnar of the Atomic Cosplay Comp and Nekkid Comp '07

#46 TinBane

TinBane

Super Hero

• Mod
  • 21,537 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:06 AM

Leonid: If we banned people based on if they pissed others off, that list of people would already be gone. They aren't. The mod team doesn't ban anyone, based on public sentiment. There are users on atomic who have been RTMed an insane amount of times. It doesn't seem to correlate with being banned. I don't think another amnesty is going to fix "what's wrong" with this place. If there is community sentiment that the atomic forums have to change, then the community needs to drive those changes. I think there are a lot of users who simply don't post as much, and it would be nice if we could ask them why. Maybe that's what we need. An anonymous atomic community survey, filled out by the lurkers.
Romans 10:3 absit iniuria verbis

#47 LogicprObe

LogicprObe

Colossus

• Banned
  • 66,256 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:25 AM

Maybe you should be looking at the RTMers? It's always the same jokers, right? They lose, or have lost an argument and their recourse is to constantly RTM people because they don't agree with their views. It's all this under the counter stuff and then the blatant denials and cover ups that really piss people off.

#48 AMD AKIMBO

AMD AKIMBO

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:59 AM

i have been here for a few years and like nessy i live in the hardware section. i have noticed a few users drop off. the main contributers in hardware are nesquick, sceptrecore, osama_bin_athlon, mudge and a few others, not nearly as many as there used to be. i am off work for a few weeks and have quickly grown board on this forum due to lack of posts and lack of new reviews on hardware which is why i came here in the first place. i like helping people out with there problems or posting my own, there just isnt much of that going on these days. i love this forum and the people on it but i need more stimulation. i (like alot of other users here) have ventured over to ocau for a look and that place..... man its busy. why else do you think people are told in trademart (you wont get that price here better post on ocau) what as a user would like here: prizes however small just something an atomic t-shirt ? how about an overclocking comp of some sort ? show us your game room/den thread we need new stuff how about a hsf roundup watercooling kit roundup cpu charts like tomshardware used to do vga charts like tomshardware i think atomic staff should get together browse the ocau and other sites and see what atomic doesnt have improve from there. this is what i think and what no one else will say. /end rant

Edited by AMD AKIMBO, 29 July 2010 - 08:01 AM.

3930k @4.4, 2x120gb agility3's, 1.5tb seagate, 8 seagate 2tb lp's on perc6i raid6, ax 1200 psu, gtx titan sli, 32 gig trident x, asrockxtreme4, aoc 29 inch, fractal xl, samsung bluray.

#49 Waltish

Waltish

Guru

• Hero
  • 14,219 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:21 AM

I've been on Atomic since the third day of the forums' operation.

The present level of activity is slower than any time I remember - slower even than during the Rugby World Cup and the last 3 FIFA World Cups.

I can suggest a solution: don't ban people because they stay within the rules and piss others off. Cause then you may as well ban me, Juggs, plebs, twinny, Logic, Middy, chrisg and Ry and then have the remaining 10 prolific users of this forum participate in site-wide exercises of vehement agreement.

Ban people when they actively break the rules, clearly and comprehensively - not because some users decided they didn't like their atrocious grammar corrected or the flaws in their argument micro-dissected.

In other words, it's time for another amnesty - at this low point of traffic, I'd be happy to see even TheSecret, just_some_guy and The_End re-instated. Fuck, bring back Orestes and the weirdo equine - lets get some life into this place.

No... IMHO the last amnesty was a mistake, too many trolls came back , they were banned for a reason the first time {:)

People have been talking about Atomic going to the dogs from time to time, yet here we all are. And I think we will still be around for years to come:)

Some examples:

http://archive.atomi...p...;c=4&t=4275

http://archive.atomi...p...;c=4&t=2573

Mod complaint threads are to many to mention, lol.

http://archive.atomi...p...;c=4&t=4254

http://archive.atomi...p...;c=4&t=4224

These mini shit-storms are usually started by peeps that are upset about a decision , so they act up to get their way, they should be ignored like the tantrum throwing children that they are.
If they don't like it so much here, there are other places they can go, no one is forcing them to be here.

Edited by Waltish, 29 July 2010 - 08:22 AM.

? After All This Time ?

.....<--{ Always }-->

#50 LogicprObe

LogicprObe

Colossus

• Banned
  • 66,256 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:22 AM

It wasn't a real amnesty anyway. You had to apply to come back so many old users didn't bother. A lot that did, didn't like the 'terms and conditions' of coming back. Hence, many, like R/R are still MIA.

Edited by LogicprObe, 29 July 2010 - 08:23 AM.

#51 elvenwhore

elvenwhore

SuperHero

• Mod
  • 11,673 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:25 AM

Leo and Cheeky bring up a good point regarding perceived 'antagonisers,' those we don't agree with or even those just don't get along with (it happens) - that even through our differences, we can learn something from them. Sometimes - not always, but sometimes - we can learn more from those who get under our skin, as opposed to learning a lesson that's presented nicely and wrapped up with a pretty ribbon. Sometimes it's the warped or ugly lesson that has the potential to offer us the most :-)

That's a complex issue in and of itself, though. For example, there's a difference between callous disregard, and "telling the truth." One can be destructive, and one can be constructive. However, personal perspective can also play a big part in that.

Talking isn't necessarily communicating. There are three parts to effective communication; the message you want to send out, the message you do send out, and the message that is received at the other end. It's not often that all three parts are in sync. And of those three parts, one personally only has a measure of "control" over the first two. I can't control how anybody is going to take this post, for example, so I can only try and be as clear as I can be, within myself but also when I'm putting words on the screen.

I've noticed an upswing in this discrepancy over the past 12 months on Atomic. Sometimes people seem to think that just because they've put something into a post, that it should automatically be understood at the other end and then they get upset when someone takes it a different way. There are a variety of reasons why this is a logical fallacy, but at it's most negative we can see it also works hand-in-hand with the over-inflated sense of entitlement that is bubbling underneath the surface around here.

We see cries of, 'the whingers have taken over the asylum!' and equal cries of, 'bullies in the schoolyard!' People have their reasons for feeling this way, and that's fine, although I can't help but wonder how much of this is in response to dented egos and bruised entitlement. Atomic isn't about me, it isn't about 'you' (the reader; hi!).

Personally, I don't want to see Atomic sanitised, I like banter and colour and personality :-) I hope a lot of good perspectives can come out of this thread - a little revisiting as to the nature of Atomic, what it means to be Atomic and an Atomican and reaffirming what we want to work towards can hopefully be a very englightening experience :-) I look forward to reading more from you guys :-)

edit:

what as a user would like here: prizes however small just something an atomic t-shirt ?
how about an overclocking comp of some sort ?
show us your game room/den thread
we need new stuff
how about a hsf roundup
watercooling kit roundup
cpu charts like tomshardware used to do
vga charts like tomshardware
i think atomic staff should get together browse the ocau and other sites and see what atomic doesnt have improve from there.

Great post, AMD AKIMBO :-)
We actually had a 'show us your game room' thread in PC gaming a few months ago, and you're right, that did generate a fair whack of traffic :-) T'was a good thread :-) And actually, you (and others) bring up an important point regarding the tech sections - it's easy for some to fall into the trap of thinking the Green Room is Atomic - it's the heartbeat of Atomic, for sure, and it's a large portion of our community here, but there are tech sections out there and they too would benefit from discussion such as this.

edit:

Maybe you should be looking at the RTMers?

It's always the same jokers, right?

They lose, or have lost an argument and their recourse is to constantly RTM people because they don't agree with their views.

It's all this under the counter stuff and then the blatant denials and cover ups that really piss people off.

Sorry Logic, I didn't mean to skip your post (it's too early in the morning for me! :-) ). You bring up a good point, although speaking as one who has access to the Reports that come in, I can't say that I agree with your sentiment here. First up, regarding your point about looking at the people who Report things, I do try and take into account the greater context when we do receive a Report. I like to try and encourage people to take personal responsibility for themselves on the forums, not just in their actions but also their reactions, and it's something I will raise with someone if and when I believe it's applicable. However, I can't force people to listen to me or come to the same conclusions as me and it's up to each person for him or herself to find value in my - or another mod's - perspective on a Reported situation.

So I guess the answer there is that no, it's not always the same people who Report things. A fair whack of Reports that come in are tidy-up admin things, such as threads posted in the wrong section. If and when a situation arises that I feel someone could do with fresh perspective on, I'll certainly raise it with them :-)

Edited by elvenwhore, 29 July 2010 - 08:54 AM.

Everything I say has come before. Everything I say has come before. Wait - dammit! Oh well, I like you more than reject popcorn bits :-)

#52 TinBane

TinBane

Super Hero

• Mod
  • 21,537 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:36 AM

They lose, or have lost an argument and their recourse is to constantly RTM people because they don't agree with their views.

It's all this under the counter stuff and then the blatant denials and cover ups that really piss people off.

You'd think so, wouldn't you?
But often the people RTMing things aren't the targets of the jibes. They aren't the people arguing against the person RTMed. Sure, that happens too, but in many cases it's people that don't know people on either side, RTMing posts.
What, you don't think the mod team can work out when a sore loser is RTMing as some kind of revenge?

Edited by TinBane, 29 July 2010 - 08:36 AM.

Romans 10:3 absit iniuria verbis

#53 LogicprObe

LogicprObe

Colossus

• Banned
  • 66,256 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:45 AM

You'd think so, wouldn't you?
But often the people RTMing things aren't the targets of the jibes. They aren't the people arguing against the person RTMed. Sure, that happens too, but in many cases it's people that don't know people on either side, RTMing posts.
What, you don't think the mod team can work out when a sore loser is RTMing as some kind of revenge?

No, but it seems that certain Mods or Management use RTM's as an excuse to follow some sort of agenda.

The 'wannabe Mods' are always always around! They're even more blatant at places like whirlpool and will summon their favourite Mod if you dare cross them!

Edited by LogicprObe, 29 July 2010 - 08:45 AM.

#54 The Fuzz damn you!

The Fuzz damn you!

SuperHero

• Super Hero
  • 26,602 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:46 AM

lol -- you clearly need more tinfoil in your hat there LP.
You are about to begin reading The Fuzz's sig. Relax. Concentrate. Dispel every other thought.

#55 iamthemaxx

iamthemaxx

Super Hero

• Super Hero
  • 29,287 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:49 AM

Time to break out the tinfoil hats again.

#56 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,746 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:52 AM

They're even more blatant at places like whirlpool and will summon their favourite Mod if you dare cross them!

how many times have you been banned or suspended from Whirlpool?
Put your monkey where your mouth is. These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu. What's On My Mind? http://twitter.com/smadge1 http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

#57 mudg3

mudg3

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,053 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:56 AM

Fucking hell lets not turn this into a " I hate mods, Mods hate me thread" Its about making the place better not keeping the same bullshit up that has made it crap of late. +1 to AMD AKIMBO Tech sections don't get enough posts and its bloody sad. Its a real shame most of the people here just post in the green room. When I know for a fact alot of you guys are fantastic in the field of I.T and could bring so much back to those sections if you started posting in there again. Pass on the knowledge people!
3930K ||Corsair H110 || ASUS Rampage IV ||16GB Corsair Vengence DDR3@1877mhz||ATI 7970||250gb Samsung 840||2x4tb||DELL2711||Corsair 650D|| ASUS Essence STX ||Audio Engine A2's||Aiaiai:TMA-1||Enermax 1050w|| Atomics resident filth

#58 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,746 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:59 AM

I'd probably post a hell of a lot more in the tech sections if there was more participation, at times it feels like I'm yelling into an empty stadium.
Put your monkey where your mouth is. These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu. What's On My Mind? http://twitter.com/smadge1 http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

#59 twinair

twinair

Immortal

• Hero
  • 47,697 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:59 AM

It's becoming more like a failing business model than a community, sure there are spats and things are said that are uncalled for, I'm guilty of that I know, but when something as minimal as the acquisition of a mouse for the winner of the POTM, something many of our funny and knowledgeable members strive for, becomes an issue because the company who've taken ownership wont pay for it, I think it sends a strong message to the masses.

Hmm... Now that you mention it, I agree this is one area where the *ods can encourage community involvement. A mouse or random bit of hardware wouldn't go astray, and the relatively insignificant costs might be justified by the extra traffic it would generate. I'm pretty sure a POTM section advertising the chance to win a mouse is what attracted me from the magazine to the forums in the first place. I figure there's probably issues with bureaucracy preventing this, working out where the money comes from if not from a sponsor.

If Haymarket refused to supply something as simple as a mouse for a POTM winner, Ben Mansill would have forked out the cash himself to buy one.
Because he cared.
This aint no fuckin' bible study. I didn't come here to save whales. I came here to shake my dick and have a great time.

#60 mudg3

mudg3

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,053 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:12 AM

If Haymarket refused to supply something as simple as a mouse for a POTM winner, Ben Mansill would have forked out the cash himself to buy one.
Because he cared.

Good lord. I know your serous but expecting staff of a company to fork out there own cash for a price is a little rich to expect from David or any of the staff.

Quit living the past.
3930K ||Corsair H110 || ASUS Rampage IV ||16GB Corsair Vengence DDR3@1877mhz||ATI 7970||250gb Samsung 840||2x4tb||DELL2711||Corsair 650D|| ASUS Essence STX ||Audio Engine A2's||Aiaiai:TMA-1||Enermax 1050w|| Atomics resident filth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users