15 replies to this topic

#1 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,416 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:34 PM

Free Apps

* Dropbox - Dropbox - Free - Cloud storage that allows you to share files across multiple devices. Essentially, it adds a file system to the iPad. Requires a Dropbox account, which is free for up to 2gb, $9.99 USD per month for 50gb and $19.99 USD per month for 100gb. Desktop clients are available for Windows, OSX & Linux. -tasty wheat, chaos.lady

Paid Apps

* reeder - Silvio Rizzi - $4.99 - A Google Reader Client. - Syncs with Google Reader, browse by feed or folders, manage starred items, notes, support for shared items and friends' shared items ... heaps more. - the tick

* starwalk - Vito Technology Inc. - $5.99 - Star Walk is your personal planetarium that can answer all of your curiosities about the sky! For anyone who is interested in stargazing, amateurs or professionals Star Walk makes discovering more than 9,000 stars, planets, constellations, and messier objects as beautiful and easy as it has never been before! Use the Star Spotter function to see the sky in front of you in real-time. Tilt your iPad towards the sky to activate the DIGITAL COMPASS which will determine location and orientation of your iPad. - the tick

Original post

So I gots me an iPad.

Anyway, I saw Tantryl's wonderful list of goodness and noticed that not all those apps were iPad ready. I also noticed that there were apps specific to the ipad which weren't in the phone/pod.

So I figured rather than expand Tanty's workload, I'd help him out by creating a separate thread and maintaining it for those who want to show off their ipad goodness.

As in Tantryl's thread,please use this format when putting up suggestions. If you have a comparison between different formats of the app (pad vs touch/phone for example) that would be great to put up as well.

If it's decided down the track that the overlap is too big, we can merge the threads together again.

I'll get us started with a few very soon!

Edited by Chaos.Lady, 02 August 2010 - 10:21 PM.

In the light universe I have been darkness. Perhaps in the dark zone I can be light...

Take the boat, promise me 
Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#2 tastywheat

tastywheat

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:02 PM

* Dropbox - Dropbox - Free - Cloud storage that allows you to share files across multiple devices. Essentially, it adds a file system to the iPad. Requires a Dropbox account, which is free for up to 2gb, $9.99 USD per month for 50gb and $19.99 USD per month for 100gb. Desktop clients are available for Windows, OSX & Linux.

#3 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:21 PM

* reeder - Silvio Rizzi - $4.99 - A Google Reader Client. - Syncs with Google Reader, browse by feed or folders, manage starred items, notes, support for shared items and friends' shared items ... heaps more.

Edited by The Tick, 01 August 2010 - 09:33 PM.

Disclaimer: this post may have been made via a mobile device. All formatting, grammar and the possible hilarious substitution of key words should be attributed to the autocorrect features of the mobile device and likely has nothing to do with the idiot driving it.

te0p:"Your a Unreal."

#4 moist

moist

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:28 PM

Did you get the 64GB wifi/3g model ? I'm getting really good at creating Micro Sims.
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

#5 tastywheat

tastywheat

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:39 PM

I'm getting really good at creating Micro Sims.

Recently made one for the my iphone 4. I was surprised by how easy it was. The pad on the old sim is bigger than on a micro, but it seems the extra terminals aren't used.

#6 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,416 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:09 PM

Thanks guys. I've updated the OP and hopefully I'll get more info in when I figure out the funky formatting. Keep 'em coming!

In the light universe I have been darkness. Perhaps in the dark zone I can be light...

Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#7 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:02 PM

* starwalk - Vito Technology Inc. - $5.99 - Star Walk is your personal planetarium that can answer all of your curiosities about the sky! For anyone who is interested in stargazing, amateurs or professionals Star Walk makes discovering more than 9,000 stars, planets, constellations, and messier objects as beautiful and easy as it has never been before! Use the Star Spotter function to see the sky in front of you in real-time. Tilt your iPad towards the sky to activate the DIGITAL COMPASS which will determine location and orientation of your iPad.

Disclaimer: this post may have been made via a mobile device. All formatting, grammar and the possible hilarious substitution of key words should be attributed to the autocorrect features of the mobile device and likely has nothing to do with the idiot driving it.

#8 NightOwl

NightOwl

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:36 PM

OK ... redone my list, in the regulation format :)

Freebies ...

* Google Earth - Google Mobile - free - No explanation required. A great adaptation of the PC version.

* Photobucket - Photobucket.com - free - Effortlessly handles photo uploads between ipad photos and your photobucket account.

* iDo Notepad - Neil Thomas - free - Not the best note taker, but it's got password protect, good formatting features, built in calender, supports folders and it's free.

* Kindle - Reinke LLC - free - Similar to ipad's iBooks app (also free) but connects to amazon.

* Canon Easy photo print - Canon inc - free - If you have a Canon printer (wireless or connected to a wireless network), download this. It enables you to wirelessly print photos to your printer, without the need for print drivers or routing through a PC.

* Insanity X - Amazi Games - free - A puzzle game. rearrange the squares so the coloured triangle match. Increases in difficulty and is also addictive.

* Frotz - Craig Smith - free - A game. If you like the text versions of Zork, then this is for you.

To purchase ...

* Pages - Apple - $12.99 - Word processing app. Powerful and easy to use. Imports and exports pdf, word, or pages format. Does charts, tables and shapes and imports images. Good range of formatting options.

* Atomic web browser - Richard Trautvetter - $1.19 - Great, fully featured browser. There's a lite version to try for free.

* Photogene - Omer Shoor - $4.99 - A photo editor. A small app, but full featured and easy to use.

* FTP Deluxe - Gp Imports Inc - $1.19 - FTP client for ipad. Does the job well.

* Photo Sort - Romain HENRY - $2.49 - A better solution for managing photos than ipad's native photo app provides. Has folder support without having to connect to iTunes.

* Converter Plus - TranCreative Software - $2.49 - A unit converter for just about everything. Even does mortgage/loan and inflation (us) calculations.

* GoSkyWatch - GoSoftWorks - $7.99 - Planetarium app. Try the lite version for free.

* Angry Birds - Chillingo Ltd - $5.99 - A game. Sling shot the angry birds at pigs in bunkers. Requires skill. Lots of fun.

* Cogs - Chillingo Ltd - $5.99 - A puzzle game with fabulous graphics. rearrange the cogs and pipes until the model's mechanics work correctly. Try the free version and you'll be hooked. When I want to show others how beautiful ipad's graphics are, I show them this app.

* Osmos - Hemisphere Games - $5.99 - A game. You are a small molecule and your challenge is to become the biggest. a simple game, but gets very challenging and is strangely addictive. Beautiful background music as well.

* Simon the Sorcerer 1 & 2 - iPhSoft - $2.49 each - A game. Exactly the same as the original version for PC. Fun though.

* Amazon: Hidden Expedition - Big Fish Games - $5.99 - If you like hidden object games, this is one of the better ones.

* Broken Sword: Directors Cut - Revolution Software - $9.99 - A game. This is the ipad version of Shadow of the Templars and the graphics, sound and game play are as good as the PC version. This is the directors cut, so there are a few extra scenes in this version. Worth the price tag if you like adventure games.

* Monkey Island 2 - LucasArts - $9.99 - A game. A remastered version of Le Chuck's Revenge. A must for all monkey island fans. Graphics and game play are fantastic. Take no notice of the reviews citing buggy software, the game works perfectly. Well worth the price tag.

These 2 games are really only designed for iphone and itouch, but look and work great on iPad. Only problem is they don't support iPad's multi orientations...

* Myst - Cyan Worlds - $5.99 - This game is really only designed for iphone and itouch, but if you love Myst (like I do) download it, because it looks, sounds and performs great on ipad. The only problem is it doesn't work in every orientation that ipad provides for. There's also a free trial version.

* Doodle God - JoyBits Ltd - $1.19 - A game. Mix elements to make new ones. Made for iphone and itouch, but works well and looks good on ipad as well, but doesn't work in every ipad orientation. Not much of a challenge, but is great when you want amusement without having to think too much.

For the kids ...

* Ice Age - Chillingo Ltd - $3.99 - The 6yo nephew loves this game. Guide Scrat through obstacles to collect acorns. Great graphics, sound and game play. Also good for adults who are kids at heart.

* uBoot HD - bootant.com - $2.49 - guide a little sub through mine fields and dangerous jelly fish, using either tactics or missiles. The game detects ipad's motion to move the sub up and down. Even the 3yo can play this with assistance.

* Jack & the Beanstalk - Ayars Animation Inc - $4.99 - interactive story. Best interactive ibook in the app store. The 3yo LOVES this one. A bit more expensive that some of the others, but worth every cent.

* Madera & Figaro Save the Day - Lyn and Line LLC - $1.19 - LOTS of activity. The 3yo loves this because he can do everything without assistance.

Edited by NightOwl, 07 August 2010 - 09:06 PM.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition No. 76

#9 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,416 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:44 PM

No probes night owl. A great list there though! I'll see what I can find to help you put them up when I get some time.

Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#10 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:47 PM

* GoodReader for iPad - Good.iWare Ltd. - $1.19 - Extends PDF download and reading functionality. Stores PDFs locally, handles larger PDF files brilliantly, putting a "g" in front of a link in safari (ie. ghttp://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf) automatically downloads into GoodReader.

#11 lunchbox1988

lunchbox1988

Guru

• Atomican
  • 8,433 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:10 PM

Sobee Lite - Facebook for iPad client - http://itunes.apple....d370382132?mt=8

Pretty much gives you facebook, but in a nicer case!

#12 Michael100

Michael100

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,992 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:29 AM

Google translate..... You guys have to check it out. Speak into it in english or any other language and have it translated into any other language and spoken back to you.. EPIC! The only downside is shitty Voda 3G connection atm

#13 hulkster

hulkster

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 17,056 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:52 AM

Cool, lots of good stuff here to pick through. I bought my ipad Tuesday and still haven't had a good chance to sit and play with it for more than 10 minutes. Looking forward to my first big fix of ipad 2 time :)
<strong class='bbc'>Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and<br /><br />oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital<br /><br />ingredient in beer.</strong>

#14 lew~

lew~

Champion

• Atomican
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:18 PM

* Flipboard - Flipboard Inc. - Free - Google/RSS/LinkedIn/Twitter/etc reader that hooks into your accounts and presents your feeds in a magazine/newspaper type-interface. Pretty awesome so far!

#15 david.gordon.lane

david.gordon.lane

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:40 AM

iAnnotate PDF - Branchfire - $10.49 - Annotate PDF's with handwriting, typed notes, stamps, pictures and video. I use it to takes notes for Uni on the ppt files after converting them to pdfs - David Lane

iStudiez Pro - iStudiez Team - $.99 - An App to help keep you organized at Uni, setup semester and course, then add class, tutes, labs etc and also exam and assignment dates - David Lane

More to come

#16 ninjacatfish

ninjacatfish

Charge

• Atomican
  • 331 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:37 PM

Apps that I couldn't do without on my iPad include...

Zite - works out what news is relevant to your interests based on what you read
Flipboard - very pretty Facebook/Twitter/Google Reader/RSS reader
ComiXology - best way to buy and read comics on iPad IMO
TweetBot - Heaps better than the official Twitter client
OzTV - prettiest and easiest TV guide I've found
Lasoo - shows all the local catalogues for stores in your area

Those are all I can think of now, but I'll probably post more when I can actually look at my iPad!
PC: Intel i5 2500K @4.5GHz | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP RAM | 2x MSI GTX560 Ti Hawk in SLI | MSI P67A-GD65 | 120GB Intel 520 SSD+3TB of HDDs | Silverstone Fortress FT-02 | Dell U2711 + Dell U2311H 15-inch MacBook Pro late-2008: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz | 4GB DDR3 RAM | 320GB HDD | GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users