12 replies to this topic

#1 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,992 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:05 PM

By OS news

And thus, the fun continues. A few years ago, Apple bought PowerPC processor company PA Semi, whose technology, some claim, ended up in Apple's A4 processor. Some PA Semi people, however, left Apple shortly after the acquisition, opting to found a new start-up company instead. This company, Agnilux, has now been bought by Google.
The interesting part about this whole thing is that nobody really knows what Agnilux was working on, since it was a so-called stealth start-up. The New York Times tried to find out what Agnilux was working on earlier this year, and they came away with very little. "Some kind of server" - that's as far as they got.

"We want to make a splash," Mark Hayter, the chief operating officer at Agnilux, told The New York Times, "We don't want our manufacturer to take our intellectual property before we're ready." In other words, we have no clue as to what these guys are building.

As for who's on file working there, it's not a bad list. We've got some of the PA Semi brains, as well as a number of people from Cisco. Then there's Scott Redman, the director of application software, who used to work at TiVo as a software architect. Google could very well plan to move into the hardware business, or it's just a simple case of the people being valuable.

We'll have to wait and see.

Interesting. Is it just to make their own server products, or do Google have something larger in mind?

Thoughts?

RIG: Phenom II X6 1090T @ 4.0GHz | MSI 990FXA GD-80 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 | MSI Radeon R7 370 | Patriot Pyro SSD 120GB SATAIII | 500GB + 1TB Barracuda's | LG GH22NS70 DVD-RW | Xigmatek Red Scorpion | Corsair HX650W | CM690

#2 Midnighter

Midnighter

Titan

• Atomican
  • 28,666 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:48 PM

Google bought a startup that no one even knows what they were making? And we're supposed to discuss what dude? We got nothing. :P
Marcus Aurelius: ‘Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.’

#3 Sir_Substance

Sir_Substance

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,776 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:17 PM

Google is getting its fingers into a lot of pies recently, It would not surprise me too much if we started to see some google-branded server/networking hardware appearing in the near future. They certainly should know by now what that kind of hardware needs to do.
Kablez- You can only beat a brick wall with so many sticks until... you wasted all your time collecting and breaking sticks against a wall... Tantryl- Knowledge is the new power, but will never provide a stable baseload as cost effective as burning puppies. mm80x: I allege that Sir substance must be from the internet

#4 A Hitman

A Hitman

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:43 AM

They were going to start selling hardware for cloud systems soon I thought?

#5 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,992 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:25 PM

Google bought a startup that no one even knows what they were making? And we're supposed to discuss what dude? We got nothing. :P

It's no stretch of the imagination. Developing their own chip\s for whatever reason could see them become majorly huge.

RIG: Phenom II X6 1090T @ 4.0GHz | MSI 990FXA GD-80 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 | MSI Radeon R7 370 | Patriot Pyro SSD 120GB SATAIII | 500GB + 1TB Barracuda's | LG GH22NS70 DVD-RW | Xigmatek Red Scorpion | Corsair HX650W | CM690

#6 iamthemaxx

iamthemaxx

Super Hero

• Super Hero
  • 29,287 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:57 PM

It's no stretch of the imagination. Developing their own chip\s for whatever reason could see them become majorly huge.

Yep I can see economies of scale coming into this buy. Even if it is a custom chip, the huge amount they could save on optimised hardware and software building would be a gimme for an organisation like that.
It's kinda like Apple restricting OS X to specific hardware, except Google is only restricting themselves and not the customer.

#7 AIMBOT

AIMBOT

Champion

• Atomican
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:19 PM

They already design their own server hardware that's manufactured by Gigabyte. I'm pretty sure they use Intel chips in them too (all from memory) so maybe they're buying the company to support their in-house server tech.
Too long didn't read.

#8 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,992 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:29 PM

Yep I can see economies of scale coming into this buy. Even if it is a custom chip, the huge amount they could save on optimised hardware and software building would be a gimme for an organisation like that.
It's kinda like Apple restricting OS X to specific hardware, except Google is only restricting themselves and not the customer.

I think it could be a think tank for design ARM SoC's for both smartphones and perhaps netbooks and ultrathin. This could make them much monies.

#9 Mills

Mills

Champion

• Hero
  • 4,653 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:00 PM

I would have thought that google wouldn't build servers as it goes against their cloud computing they are building but thats just me.

I see NU-ZING, I hear NU-ZING and above all I know NU-ZING

Kablez "Abbott is so self involved in his 'action' that it sounds like he's answering questions no one's cared to ask."

#10 thesorehead

thesorehead

Guru

• Atomican
  • 8,750 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:50 AM

I think it could be a think tank for design ARM SoC's for both smartphones and perhaps netbooks and ultrathin. This could make them much monies.

I read this and I thought:

tablets?

They release Droid, let others take the first steps into smartphones and then come in with their own device.

Rinse and repeat for tablets, and time it for Android 3.0 ... is it all coming together?

It's all rumour and hearsay but it's nice to imagine...
"Be Excellent to each other." - Bill and Ted Got my PS3 - now I need a 360 for teh gaems.

#11 phatbeat

phatbeat

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:55 PM

Maybe one day there will be a Google console. "I'm just going to play my google"
So many games... So little time........ R.I.P. Darkmatter

#12 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,992 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:16 PM

tablets?

They release Droid, let others take the first steps into smartphones and then come in with their own device.

Rinse and repeat for tablets, and time it for Android 3.0 ... is it all coming together?

They are going to be one powerful microsoft.

... I mean, tech giant.

#13 meowkitty

meowkitty

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:26 AM

tablets?

They are going to be one powerful microsoft.

... I mean, tech giant.

we should start the hate now. so we can get in on the Goodle hate at the ground level.

but slightly more seriously, google, cloud and mobile/clound devices. if that pans out it will put google in a prime position. like microsoft and OS's.

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, GB Radion R9 285, Zalman CNPS9900MAX, 2x 8GB G.Skill Ares 1600MHz, 1x 2TB Seagate 6GB/s (For OS), 1x 120GB Corsair Neutron, GB 970A-D3P, Corsair RM750, Corsair 750D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users