• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 _kapone_

_kapone_

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:25 PM

Hi guys, I recently did a clean install of Snow Leopard on my old MBP and am now having issues with my iPhone and iTunes. As the reason for a fresh install was for a 'clean break', I didn't bother using any of the inbuilt backup mechanisms. Instead I manually backed up what I wanted to keep. Unfortunately while doing this I didn't seem to realise the repercussions of not making a backup of my iTunes library (I assumed this would only mean I'd lose my music). Now I'm not completely stupid, I did backup my iPhone backups (from ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync), however I can't seem to find a way to get my iPhone working with iTunes again without erasing the phone and connecting to the new library. I stupidly assumed that it shouldn't be an issue as the iTunes library is authorised to the same account, but obviously that's not good enough for Apple. Can anyone tell me of a way that I can get my iPhone connected to the new iTunes Library without losing the data on my iPhone, specifically contacts and my calendar (happy to lose the music on their and reinstall my apps)? Is it possible to erase the iPhone to set it up with the new library, and then load the old backup (which iTunes currently doesn't display, even though I've moved the files back and can see they're all there)? I prefer to even avoid this as I hadn't synced my phone for a few weeks, but if this is the best option I'll take it. Has anyone else been in a similar situation and know what to do? Thanks in advance!

#2 plebsmacker

plebsmacker

Titan

• Hero
  • 25,776 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:52 AM

What application were you using to store contacts and calendar ?
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

#3 _kapone_

_kapone_

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:16 PM

What application were you using to store contacts and calendar ?

On the iPhone side of things, just the normal Contacts and Calendar, no third party apps. Same on OSX, just using the inbuilt Address Book and Calendar (which I didn't think to back up).

#4 plebsmacker

plebsmacker

Titan

• Hero
  • 25,776 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:31 AM

http://www.digidna.n...roducts/diskaid

Try that.

#5 Frizzl

Frizzl

Champion

• Atomican
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:35 PM

A bit of a longshot, but you could try setting up a trial mobileme account? This will allow the phone to sync with the cloud, then your computer will do the same. Once synced, sync it as you used to, then cancel your subscription.

It might work...

#6 _kapone_

_kapone_

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:59 PM

A bit of a longshot, but you could try setting up a trial mobileme account? This will allow the phone to sync with the cloud, then your computer will do the same. Once synced, sync it as you used to, then cancel your subscription.

It might work...

I totally forgot about the mobileMe free trial. I setup an account and was able to get my Contacts and Calendar onto the MBP with no issues. Also discovered that I can use Image Capture to grab my photos, so I've done that as well.

About to setup the phone with my new library now, let's see how it goes...

#7 _kapone_

_kapone_

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:30 PM

Crisis averted! Turns out that iTunes was just trying to tell me it would erase my iTunes Library items, not everything on the phone. As I was happy to lose the music already on there that was no problem at all. All that fuss for nothing! Thanks for your suggestions though guys.

#8 plebsmacker

plebsmacker

Titan

• Hero
  • 25,776 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:57 AM

Always better safe than sorry.

#9 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,616 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 03:48 PM

Is there any free alternative to diskaid? it is costly. thanks

It;s only $52 at the moment.

Most peoples lost data is worth that to them.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users