1031 replies to this topic

#1 Khirareq

Khirareq

Titan

• Hero
  • 21,039 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:45 AM

Hawo and welcome :)

The overall intent and purpose of this thread is to serve as a register of those who play the assorted GW games, and which ones in an effort to try to make it easier to find other players to hang shit on their painting ski... challenge them to battles and organise gaming sessions. It also serves the secondary purpose of providing a place to discuss pretty much all other aspects of the hobby, including painting, resources, debates over paints and other general chat - So feel free to hop in and post pics of your models or armies, or throw up your army list and show off your wins - Lets see whats going on out there

Have changed the profile setup around a bit, so should make things a lot easier - Go nuts and pimp out your post with whatever now, just dont forget to include information ;) If adding yourself for the first time, it may help to look through some of the others and work something out from there, but basically I would like location, games played and what armies are ready, rough guide to when your free for play, plus also what aspects you involve yourself in; whether it be playing, just painting, modelling, making counterfeit models with the slaves in your basement - whatever - It should prove useful to those who are looking for others

So, lets see if we can get a game rolling along this time ;)

Updated: 28th Sep 08

...but then everything changed when the fire nation attacked

#2 Khirareq

Khirareq

Titan

• Hero
  • 21,039 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:45 AM

***Work in progress - 6th May, 2011 18:35***

Batemans Bay

G-relk #005 Preferred Game Time Aspects 40k

Brisbane

Dark Maverik #041
Fantasy
es02 #109
Fantasy Bloodbowl Mordheim
Master_Scythe #009
Fantasy

Canberra

Khirareq #010
40k Nec Other
TechHeadFred #006

Kalgoorlie

rainspider #??? Weekends. Gaming

Melbourne

Hector #003 Weekends, possibly a weeknight once in a blue moon. Painting and Collecting. VERY little gaming, but will knock around a game or two. Note I haven't played since 2nd ed. and have no idea about 5th ed. rules yet.
KTS #017
NightOwl #007

Perth

King_Of_The_Mountain #037

Sydney

Hawkeye #019
thesorehead #033

Wollongong

Mykl_c #004
40k Other

[acronym="]Preferred Game Time[/acronym"] [acronym=]Aspects[/acronym]

If you want to be added, them shoot me a PM with the following template filled out please

Player name:

Aspects:

Game:
Army:

Game:
Army:

Also PM me if you want content modified

Edited by Khirareq, 06 May 2011 - 06:34 PM.

#3 hectorbustnuts

hectorbustnuts

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 30,444 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:15 AM

Oh, you! Player name: Hector Location: Melbourne Pref game time: Weekends, possibly a weeknight once in a blue moon. Aspects: Painting and Collecting. VERY little gaming, but will knock around a game or two. Note I haven't played since 2nd ed. and have no idea about 5th ed. rules yet. Game: Warhammer 40,000 Army: Space Marines - 2000-ish (aroundabout, waiting on new Codex and some veteran Assault Marines to finalise) Army: Orks - 450 (Go Black Reach! Will no doubt bring this up to at least 1000 in the coming months)

#4 mykl_c

mykl_c

Champion

• Hero
  • 6,638 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:30 AM

Player name: Mykl_c Location: Wollongong Pref game time: Call me! Aspects: all Game: Warhammer 40,000, Warhammmer, Mordheim, ask me Army: Space Marines - 2000+ Army: Orks - 1500+ Army: 'Nids - 2000+ Army: Guard - 1000 What happened to the old thread???? Don't like only 10 topics on the list!!!! Change?!?! Who approved this?? (Dave, I'm looking at you...) Black Reach assembled, 15 lootas, 15 burnas, Bustas etc on the way! Ork ork ork ork... ;)
ISAIAH 58:8 "Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—when you see the naked, to clothe him,and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?"

#5 G-relk

G-relk

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:25 PM

PLayer name: G-relk Location: Batemans Bay Pref game time: Evenings Aspects: All Game: 40K Armies: Space Marines: about 200pts with current 'dex Space Mariens: Unknown, waiting for new 'dex Chaos space marines: NFI, need to calculate again
Rig: 2500K, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, Asrock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3, 2 x 6970 2GB, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Corsair Neutron 240GB Case: Modded Fractal Design Define XL Loop: XSPC EX360, XSPC EX120, XSPC Raystorm, 2 x XSPC Razor's, Koolance PMP-400

#6 TechHeadFred

TechHeadFred

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:36 PM

Player name: TechHeadFred
Pref game time: Weekends - Can do weeknights

Aspects: Painting and Collecting. Some gaming many years ago, would like to get back into it.

Game: 40k, vaguely interested in others.
Army: Marines - Blood Angels - up to around 2500
Army: Orks - Not entirely sure. Probably over 2500 points?

In other words, still not 100% sure many points my armies would be.
Orks are the ones from Black Reach - apparently these are 450 points? New additions: 5 Stormboyz + Boss Zagstruk, Runtherd + 10 Gretchin. Even newer addition is a Trukk.
Marines are the ones from Black Reach, Macragge, Space Marine Battleforce, a Command Squadron and Commander Dante (converted some models to fit my Blood Angels army)
New additions: 1 Drop Pod, 10 Death Company marines, Chief Librarian Mephiston (a.k.a. the Lord of Death), Brother Corbulo (Sanguinary High Priest)
I'm also trying to figure out how my Blood Angels chapter ended up with a Land Raider Terminus. ;)

Amazingly, only 5 models need repairs after being driven halfway down the Eastern side of Australia without adequate protective packaging!
Add to this the fact that I now have a shitload of building to do after getting a Black Reach set and it's minimal hassle :)

Update - Huuge amount of painting to get through, pics soming soon!

Edit: added the following post from page 18 to this post for ease of reference.

After getting a PM asking for tips on how to get started with 40K, I thought I'd share some some general advice for anyone else looking to get started. (*ods please note, this is not posting any content from the PM I received.)

Note: For all the GW site links, select Australia when prompted and the site should redirect you automatically.

What I did was go buy some minis and a starter paint set from my local stockist.

If you haven't chosen an army, either buy yourself a copy of Assault on Black Reach. This gives you dice, range measures, templates, an abridged version of the rulebook and enough Orks and Space Marines to start playing.
If the price is an issue, go halves with a friend (or PM one of the active posters in this thread) and see if they are willing to split it with you.
If you decide on Space Marines, get an Assault on Black Reach Paint Set while you're at it, as this gives you 5 more Space Marines and a basic set of paints to get started with.

Whatever you decide, I'd recommend getting yourself a copy of the latest 40K rulebook, How to Paint Citadel Miniatures and/or How to Paint Space Marines and a copy of the relevant Codex* for the force you have decided on.

If you can find them, Armies of The Imperium and Enemies of The Imperium (AoTI and AoTE) are good programs for building army lists and working out approximate points values. To my knowledge, these haven't been updated since 4th Edition rules at this stage.*

*This may involve some Internet research, remember, Google is your friend!

There are Battleforce box sets available that will give you a decent starter army, including at least one or 2 vehicles (or their equivalent)

Often you'll find that alternate stockists are cheaper than official GW stores, especially if you buy stuff online.
Gaming Dragon (formerly just part of Scrap Dragon, now its own site) is apparently quite good.
I've bought bitz (spare parts) from ApocaBITZnow in the US and would highly recommend them.

Mini-reviews of several places I have purchased stuff from in my travels:
(I will add to this list as I purchase from more places and/or details of each come to mind)

Sydney

Battlecraft Games - Rowe St, Eastwood
Good range but not much specialty stuff.
Gaming tables but often full of kids as it's just opposite Eastwood Primary School.

HobbyCo - Rhodes and Sydney CBD
Limited range but some rarities in their stock sometimes.
No gaming tables.

Games Workshop - Sydney CBD
Huge range and they'll happily order ANYTHING not in stock. You pay the RRP for it though!
Gaming tables. Regular Thursday night social gaming, apparently (never attended, so can't comment on what it's like)

The Tin Soldier - Sydney CBD
Good range last time I checked. Some specialty stuff.
Not sure if there are gaming tables, only shopped there once and didn't ask. I think Hawkeye mentioned regular gaming there?

Canberra

Mind Games - Civic
Pricing is usually better than RRP, they also do second-hand stuff.
Gaming tables.

Melbourne

Mind Games - Melbourne CBD
As per Mind Games Canberra.
No gaming tables afaik.

Perth

Games Workshop
As per GW Sydney.

Fremantle, WA

Games Workshop
As per GW Sydney.
Apparently most of the Australian GW mail orders come out of here (according to the staff member I spoke to)

I'm sure there are others near you - try the Store Locator to find one :)

Edit: Quoted this post in my post on Page 1 for ease of reference.

Edited by TechHeadFred, 03 January 2010 - 02:30 PM.

<this information may not yet be incorrect as it has not yet been updated>

#7 NightOwl

NightOwl

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:07 PM

Player name: NightOwl Location: Melbourne Pref game time: depends Aspects: Painting ! Game: not picky Posse: Necrons - a very... very small, yet elite force :) seals only hang around in small groups, don't they ?
Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition No. 76

#8 hectorbustnuts

hectorbustnuts

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 30,444 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:15 AM

I'm loving the Black Reach boxset...so glad they ditched the "terrain" in favour of more models! I've finished putting together the Marines half of the box and begun painting...that dready's pretty damn cool and the Deffcopters on the Ork side are well cool also (so's the plastic Warboss). And the Terminators (something I've been missing in my army for too damn long). Can't wait for the Veteran squads to be released next month...they look bloody special.

#9 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,694 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 12:32 PM

Player name: Master_Scythe (Paul) Location: Brisbane Pref game time: Whenever Aspects: Gaming. Game: Fantasy Army: Wood Elves - 3000-4000pts seals only hang around in small groups, don't they ?

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#10 Khirareq

Khirareq

Titan

• Hero
  • 21,039 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:17 AM

Khirareq - Canberra

Weekends, maybe weeknights

Modelling and conversion work, Rule and lore discussion, Collecting

Warhammer 40k - 5th Ed
Tau - 2000+
'nids - about 1000
Orks - about 1000

Necromunda
Orlocks
Spyre hunters

Other
Space Hulk
Gorka Morka
40k 2nd Ed

#11 TechHeadFred

TechHeadFred

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:56 PM

Does anyone have a copy of Dark Heresy?

Reading through my copy last night and discovered a hole on page 211 - Doesnt affect that page, but it destroys some text on page 212 regarding movement rules

Anyone willing to take a photo of the, I think its charging? rules on page 212? Sorta in the middle of the page there

I don't have it or I'd be happy to.
You might be able to find some help on the official Dark Heresy site - http://www.fantasyfl...com/dark-heresy

#12 Khirareq

Khirareq

Titan

• Hero
  • 21,039 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:34 PM

Copied from previous post - Needed it for profile: Does anyone have a copy of Dark Heresy? Reading through my copy last night and discovered a hole on page 211 - Doesnt affect that page, but it destroys some text on page 212 regarding movement rules Anyone willing to take a photo of the, I think its charging? rules on page 212? Sorta in the middle of the page there ******************************** Er, actually: I had ordered this book months and months ago (Seriously - Ordered it when DH first came out but had already run out), and recieved a call about a month back saying it was finally in. I went upstairs a few weeks back buying some WoW cards and remembered my order, and the guy upstairs grabbed a copy off the shelf and said he would sort it out downstiars for me Just had a phone call from Mind Games, letting me know my order was still sitting there, and asking if I still wanted it - I filled them in on what happened upstairs and they were cool, but while on the phone I thought I would push my luck and explain the hole (I didnt do this earlier because, afaic, I bought it ages ago and thought they wouldnt be able to help/unfair on my behalf to dump *this* issue on them - Plus its a bit of a trip for a "possibility") - Anyways, manager hops on the phone and tells me that if I dont hear back from Fantasy Flight within the next couple of days, too take it in and he will swap it straight over for me, and send my copy back as DOA Awesome :D Mind Games A++

#13 TechHeadFred

TechHeadFred

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:21 PM

Er, actually:

I had ordered this book months and months ago (Seriously - Ordered it when DH first came out but had already run out), and recieved a call about a month back saying it was finally in. I went upstairs a few weeks back buying some WoW cards and remembered my order, and the guy upstairs grabbed a copy off the shelf and said he would sort it out downstiars for me

Just had a phone call from Mind Games, letting me know my order was still sitting there, and asking if I still wanted it - I filled them in on what happened upstairs and they were cool, but while on the phone I thought I would push my luck and explain the hole (I didnt do this earlier because, afaic, I bought it ages ago and thought they wouldnt be able to help/unfair on my behalf to dump *this* issue on them - Plus its a bit of a trip for a "possibility") - Anyways, manager hops on the phone and tells me that if I dont hear back from Fantasy Flight within the next couple of days, too take it in and he will swap it straight over for me, and send my copy back as DOA

Awesome :D Mind Games A++

That's pretty freaking awesome!

Mind Games down here seem pretty good so far too, I'm still stoked that I got Black Reach on the Tuesday after it was released for $75...

#14 King_Of_The_Mountain

King_Of_The_Mountain

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,111 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:14 PM

ex actually, but i wouldnt mind a game here and there, just for old times sake Location: Perth Army: Chaos ( 2 types- iron warriors and Khorne) about 3000 points at my last estimate.
We may have gotten stronger but I believe we have become greater fools.

#15 Khirareq

Khirareq

Titan

• Hero
  • 21,039 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:54 AM

And this from Fantasy Flight this morning:

"Hello Matt,

It's not being bitchy to try to find out what the book says! Let me
know your full name and mailing address - we have a few books here
that are ever-so-slightly dinged, that I can send out to you. Most
people would not notice the damage, and they certainly don't have
holes through pages...

Thanks for playing,
Customer Service
Fantasy Flight Games"

The damage Im crying about:
http://img.photobuck...sy/Damage/a.jpg
http://img.photobuck...sy/Damage/1.jpg
http://img.photobuck...sy/Damage/2.jpg
http://img.photobuck...sy/Damage/3.jpg

If you ask me, the paper was damaged before printing, but I am getting support I did not expect for this :D

#16 TechHeadFred

TechHeadFred

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 11:55 PM

Well a replacement copy of a damaged book is definitely not to be sneezed at. Impressive customer service :)

#17 KTS

KTS

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 2,992 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 05:15 PM

Player name: KTS Location: SE Melbourne Pref game time: Weekends Aspects: Painting and Collecting. Never played but want to Game: 40k Army: Space marines - 1500 Army: Necrons - 750-1000

#18 TechHeadFred

TechHeadFred

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:23 PM

Not sure if this is the place but the last thread was - finally got all my troops assembled, even my 10 Death Company Marines. Now to finish painting the suckers... Also, anyone in Melbourne up for a game with a rank novice this weekend, shoot me a PM! :)

#19 hawkeye

hawkeye

Shun the nonbeliever

• God
  • 11,196 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 12:38 PM

What a lovely thread :) Player name: Hawkeye Location: Sydney (newtown) Pref game time: Weekends - Can do some weeknights Aspects: Painting, collecting, gaming and background. Game: 40k Army: Tau - 2000 painted Army: Guard - few hundred painted, aiming for 2000 eventually Game: Fantasy Army: Thinking of Dark Elves or High Elves... Just had a great weekend just past down in Canberra at a little invitational called BagraToddCon. 16 great guys, five awesome games. Now makes six game total of 5th ed, and I really love it. Definitely want to get some more games under my belt.

aka David Hollingworth, Digital Editor - Atomic, Hyper, PC & Tech Authority, PC PowerPlay "Hawkeyes pants were like the pants of a deity. Touching them I was in sudden communion with all of pantskind. The ancestral trouser crawling from the murk of time, the fierce battle pant scourging the infidel, the quiet meditation of the monks pants at dawn." - Hlass

#20 Khirareq

Khirareq

Titan

• Hero
  • 21,039 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 01:24 PM

Not sure if this is the place but the last thread was - finally got all my troops assembled, even my 10 Death Company Marines.

We can embed picture man - Please, I dont know what anyone else thinks, but I want people to start utilising that function here - Show us your work!

I want to finish off those 'nids and two Raveners I have and i will be doing the same

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users