• Please log in to reply
1034 replies to this topic

#981 physt

physt

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 229 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:48 PM

II can think of a few projects that would be quite handy for.

Friend Computer is wise. Friend Computer wants Alpha Complex to be happy. Happiness Is Mandatory. Failure to be happy is treason. Treason is punishable by summary execution. Have a nice daycycle!

#982 mohawk

mohawk

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:56 AM

PSA:

For those that don't know MOAB is on next weekend the 4th to the 6th of October in Sydney.

I will not be playing in any comps but will drop in for the bring and buy and general look around.

If you haven't been to a wargames comp before this is a very good one to come and have a look at or even start playing in the tourney scene if that is your thing.

Oh and I have nothng to do with MOAB except for the fact I have been attending it for over 20 years now as either a competitor, tourney organiser or visitor.

Atomic's Most Recommended Psu's Thread. http://forums.atomic...p?showtopic=266

#983 physt

physt

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 229 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 10:09 PM

Anyone not heading to MOAB might like to drop in to the Combat Company's Fantasy Factory on the weekend for some casual gaming called SY-CO (Sydney Convention) including beers and wacky competitions on Saturday night.

Myself and the exceptionally talented and attractive gents from Yass Tabletop Gamers will be demoing 'Dystopian Wars' and 'All Quiet on the Martian Front'.

Edited by physt, 02 October 2014 - 10:11 PM.

Friend Computer is wise. Friend Computer wants Alpha Complex to be happy. Happiness Is Mandatory. Failure to be happy is treason. Treason is punishable by summary execution. Have a nice daycycle!

#984 hawkeye

hawkeye

Shun the nonbeliever

• God
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:23 AM

Man, if my weekend weren't already packed, I would so make that :)

aka David Hollingworth, Digital Editor - Atomic, Hyper, PC & Tech Authority, PC PowerPlay "Hawkeyes pants were like the pants of a deity. Touching them I was in sudden communion with all of pantskind. The ancestral trouser crawling from the murk of time, the fierce battle pant scourging the infidel, the quiet meditation of the monks pants at dawn." - Hlass

#985 physt

physt

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 229 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:27 PM

T'was a fantastic event. At least 10 different systems available to demo, big kids night was brilliant with the speed painting and charity dice roll off.

We demo'd 'All Quiet on the Martian Front' and here are a few pics of one of the games in progress.

sycoaq1.jpg

sycoaq2.jpg

sycoaq3.jpg

Edited by physt, 06 October 2014 - 09:28 PM.

#986 hawkeye

hawkeye

Shun the nonbeliever

• God
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:33 AM

Yeah, I saw some shots on Combat Company's Facebook feed :)

aka David Hollingworth, Digital Editor - Atomic, Hyper, PC & Tech Authority, PC PowerPlay "Hawkeyes pants were like the pants of a deity. Touching them I was in sudden communion with all of pantskind. The ancestral trouser crawling from the murk of time, the fierce battle pant scourging the infidel, the quiet meditation of the monks pants at dawn." - Hlass

#987 physt

physt

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 229 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 10:13 PM

For those poor kickstarter and plastic-crack addicted fools like myself, the Heavy Gear campaign looks the goods. The sweet spot is $115 CAD which is on the steepish side as buy-ins go, but the freebie stretch goals at that level are potentially spectacular!

#988 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,939 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:15 PM

I notice they've FAQ'ed the End Times army composition rules into the BRB... (50% lords and 50% special)

Anyhow, today I played against an Empire army with my Undead Legions list:

Nagash
Casket of Souls
Morghast Harbingers
Skreaming Skull Catapult x2
Horse Archers x5
Horse Archers x5
Chariots x6
Skeleton Archers x15

Summoned:
8x Sepulchral Stalkers (killed his mounted combat character)
8x Sepulchral Stalkers (killed his Steam Tank)
30 Grave Guard with Great Weapons (Prevented a unit of cavalry from charging Nagash)
25 Grave Guard with Great Weapons + 1 Tomb King with Desroyer of Eternities (Creamed said cavalry unit and kept his wizard out of casting range of Nagash)

That's 1790 points of stuff, from a 1000 point Lord.

Undead Legions kicks ass.

Edited by SquallStrife, 26 October 2014 - 09:15 PM.

SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#989 hawkeye

hawkeye

Shun the nonbeliever

• God
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:49 AM

Ouch!

#990 physt

physt

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 229 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 08:37 PM

Tried out the new ruleset called 'Sword & Spear' today. Absolutely fantastic rules. Very simple to pick up, but the depth of tactical options available is simply breathtaking. The demo game I played was loosely based on Agincourt with me fielding the highly mobile and hard hitting French, and my offsider fielding the stubborn, hard bitten English.

The gent I played against has written a great review of the rules here, but do yourselves a favour and pick up a copy (6 pounds from memory) and have a crack. It's historical wargaming with all the speed and brutality of some of the newer sci-fi systems, with none of the needless complexity. Seriously, a real breath of fresh air.

The chaps in my gaming club are all playing late Hellenic period armies, so I think I'll be tooling up with a Gallic force and looking for a fight.

#991 physt

physt

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 229 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:19 PM

Just posting to do my bit and pimp a local Aussie tabletop game developer...

Conquest of the Gods

The game looks interesting enough, but the minis are really very nice.

#992 hawkeye

hawkeye

Shun the nonbeliever

• God
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:36 AM

Hey Physt, I missed that second last post - I'll check it out!

I recently picked up a 'two-page tactical' ruleset called Some Corner of a Foreign Field. Literally just two pages of rules, but a really nice modern set of mechanics.

#993 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,939 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:10 PM

Regiments of Renown on Sunday! Woo!!
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#994 physt

physt

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 229 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 06:35 PM

I recently picked up a 'two-page tactical' ruleset called Some Corner of a Foreign Field. Literally just two pages of rules, but a really nice modern set of mechanics.

Make sure you post up a critique on how they play.

#995 Scadartus

Scadartus

Serf

• Lurker
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:57 PM

Hi everyone :)

Been trying to get into the 40K scene for a while - I have around 60 or so mini's plus vehicles to paint (Space marines and Necrons), but I actually prefer the building to the painting...  Motivation would improve if only my Games and Gears Hellscape boards would arrive (been 13 months now and still waiting!).  Hopeful to have them by May and my entertainment for the winter months sorted! 

Anyway this Dropbox link will take you to my Venerable Dreadnaught (plus a snapshot of some WIP mini's).  Happy to get some feedback so I can improve my skills...

Cheers!

Saying Lego is a toy is like describing Optimus Prime as a robot...it might be true, but it doesn't capture the "awesome"!

#996 physt

physt

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 229 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:45 PM

Anyway this Dropbox link will take you to my Venerable Dreadnaught (plus a snapshot of some WIP mini's).  Happy to get some feedback so I can improve my skills...

Cheers!

Scadartus, the Dready looks good. IMHO some weathering and wash would really make it pop. I'm not sure what the GW equivalent is, but something like Army Painter Strong Tone shade on the coloured parts of the model, and a mix of blue and black ink/wash on the silver parts. Follow that up with a bit of hilighting and you'll see details really stand out for very little effort.

#997 Scadartus

Scadartus

Serf

• Lurker
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:38 PM

Thanks physt.

So are we talking "slather it on all over" or a more targeted approach to the washes?  And highlighting is a bit of a mystery - I can never seem to visualize light sources properly, so I end up painting too much or in the wrong place.  I'm loath to botch a half decent job on a model that I can't afford to replace just now! I guess I'll have to sacrifice a few space marines, "For the Emperor" and all that ;)

One last question:  Do you water down or use a wet palette for your washes?  Or just use them as is?  I'm still at the stage of "use it as is", but I figure I'll need to try some other techniques to get the paint-job right.  

Saying Lego is a toy is like describing Optimus Prime as a robot...it might be true, but it doesn't capture the "awesome"!

#998 physt

physt

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 229 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:09 PM

Mate, I slather it all over. Judicious use of washes can hide a multitude of sins! :-)

These minis have had exactly the treatment I described in my post above. Strong tone over the coloured parts, and a 50-50 mix of blue and black ink/wash over the metallic parts. I then dry-brushed the coloured panels using a pale green, and the metallic parts with a silver. Read up on dry-brushing before you try it. It's a dead easy technique, but it can be easy (and tempting) to overdo it.

These minis are from D-Wars so are micro-armour scale. On a mini as large as a Dreadnought, edge hilighting might be a better way to go as dry-brushing could make the panels look a bit chalky and dusty. Don't worry too much about the direction of light sources for something as simple as general edge hilighting. Just hit all the edges with a paler version of the base colour... maybe add a very pale (almost white) edge hilight where the edges meet at corners.

Once completed you'll add a level of depth to your miniature which can't be had using solid colours only.

I would only very rarely water down washes and only if I had a particular subtle finish in mind. Wet palette's are great for blending colours and increasing the working time of your paint, but they're unnecessary for washes.

Bombards.jpg

Edited by physt, 31 January 2015 - 09:14 PM.

#999 Scadartus

Scadartus

Serf

• Lurker
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:28 AM

Thanks again physt.  I have heard that washes can sometimes come out patchy or streaky when used on large surfaces; hopefully I wont run into that problem!  I'll post some updated pics once I've given it a go...

#1000 hawkeye

hawkeye

Shun the nonbeliever

• God
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:59 AM

One thing you can do with washes is just carefully use a thin brush to pick out raised areas, and then run the ink into sunken panel lines. It's a bit fiddly, and time-consuming, but relatively easy, and really works a treat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users