• Please log in to reply
1031 replies to this topic

#1001 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,936 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:46 AM

I use Agrax Earthshade on basically everything. I just slosh it on though, none of this finesse garbage, Nagash cares not for subtlety. :P
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#1002 Scadartus

Scadartus

Serf

• Lurker
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:27 PM

That's for tip hawkeye :)  

I use Agrax Earthshade on basically everything. I just slosh it on though, none of this finesse garbage, Nagash cares not for subtlety. :P

You're right, I probably care too much... if only the models weren't so danged expensive I might be a little more adventurous!

Saying Lego is a toy is like describing Optimus Prime as a robot...it might be true, but it doesn't capture the "awesome"!

#1003 physt

physt

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 228 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 07:42 PM

if only the models weren't so danged expensive I might be a little more adventurous!

That right there is a problem mostly associated with Games Workshop miniatures. For what you get they are heinously expensive.

Your comment on the previous page regarding washes and large surfaces bears revisiting. Hawkeye is spot on when her says to pick out the details on large areas. I never really ran into this problem until I painted a Necron monolith many moons ago. It would have streaked terribly if I had tried to cover the entire thing in wash. I should probably also mention (for reference) those mobile artillery pieces I painted on the previous page are only 30-40mm in length.

Friend Computer is wise. Friend Computer wants Alpha Complex to be happy. Happiness Is Mandatory. Failure to be happy is treason. Treason is punishable by summary execution. Have a nice daycycle!

#1004 Scadartus

Scadartus

Serf

• Lurker
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:26 AM

It's a shame that miniature costs isn't relative to size/amount of plastic ;)  I have used eBay to good effect, with a little patience and fortuitous timing saving me a reasonable amount, but also leaving my list with a few gaps ;)  

@physt - thanks for the clarification on the washes.  I've had a bit of look around and wondered about the Army Painter Quick Dips; if slathering is all the go, then sheep-dipping my minis would make sense.  Have you (or anyone else on the board?) tried this out?  Seems too easy to be true, but I'm prepared to spend a bit of coin if it saves significant time...

Cheers

Saying Lego is a toy is like describing Optimus Prime as a robot...it might be true, but it doesn't capture the "awesome"!

#1005 physt

physt

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 228 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 07:34 AM

The dips are an interesting thing, but don't bother with it in cooler temperatures as the dip won't run into detail. You will also need to have a can of Testors Dull-Cote handy because the dips leave the model very glossy.

I've found the Army Painter washes to be a much better option.

Friend Computer is wise. Friend Computer wants Alpha Complex to be happy. Happiness Is Mandatory. Failure to be happy is treason. Treason is punishable by summary execution. Have a nice daycycle!

#1006 hawkeye

hawkeye

Shun the nonbeliever

• God
  • 11,197 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:07 AM

The army painter washes, in the bottle, are divine. I painted up some WW2 Germans, and base-coated every colour, and then did a single - I think - Strong Shade wash over the whole figure. Add highlights, and they looks awesome.

I have seen good results from the dips, but mostly on figures like tyranids.

aka David Hollingworth, Digital Editor - Atomic, Hyper, PC & Tech Authority, PC PowerPlay "Hawkeyes pants were like the pants of a deity. Touching them I was in sudden communion with all of pantskind. The ancestral trouser crawling from the murk of time, the fierce battle pant scourging the infidel, the quiet meditation of the monks pants at dawn." - Hlass

#1007 Scadartus

Scadartus

Serf

• Lurker
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:28 AM

Thanks @physt, @hawkeye.  Fingers crossed I'll get some painting time in soon!

#1008 Khirareq

Khirareq

Titan

• Hero
  • 21,039 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:44 PM

Heya - Know I haven't been around for a while. Sorry about that. I blame Facebook

Been getting into RC cars and Gunpla of late. If noone minds, may I share my Gunpla painting as I go? I know this is meant to be a GW thread, but I see the off-topic posts and fully endorse them (Like I have any say anyways, hey? :P )

Also - I'm looking at only doing GW stuff as a per-piece basis. I've been in this hobby since 1995, and never managed a game, so will only be doing one-off pieces (Like Snikrot and other pieces I find awesome). I have given up on gaming as such, but will keep buying rulebooks and codexs (Codii?) to satisfy my own needs. On the flipside, I have a butt-load of Orks, Tau, and some 'nids I no longer need and I will put up for sale if anyone wants to buy them. If anyone is interested, just say so and I'll put up appropriate Trademart postings listing what I have

...but then everything changed when the fire nation attacked

#1009 hawkeye

hawkeye

Shun the nonbeliever

• God
  • 11,197 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:11 AM

Go nuts, man - all nerd, all the time!

aka David Hollingworth, Digital Editor - Atomic, Hyper, PC & Tech Authority, PC PowerPlay "Hawkeyes pants were like the pants of a deity. Touching them I was in sudden communion with all of pantskind. The ancestral trouser crawling from the murk of time, the fierce battle pant scourging the infidel, the quiet meditation of the monks pants at dawn." - Hlass

#1010 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,936 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:43 AM

Age of Sigmar pre-orders open 4th of July.

9th ed? 9th ed.
四時半を待っています!

#1011 hawkeye

hawkeye

Shun the nonbeliever

• God
  • 11,197 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:11 AM

And meant to be a huge change to the setting and rules, too. Interesting times.

So what are all you lot working on at the moment? SHOW US YOUR PROJECTS!

#1012 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,936 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:46 AM

So not 9th ed, but a new game using your WHFB minis. Interesting read so far, seems like it would make a good drinking game! :P
四時半を待っています!

#1013 hawkeye

hawkeye

Shun the nonbeliever

• God
  • 11,197 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 02:52 PM

Oh man, I've been reading about that, and... it just sounds terrible!

#1014 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,936 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:13 AM

Oh man, I've been reading about that, and... it just sounds terrible!

I'm hearing that a lot. Ah well, at least it's free!
四時半を待っています!

#1015 mohawk

mohawk

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:14 AM

I know this is pretty late but MOAB is on this weekend in Sydney and I will be leaving shortly to spent most of the day at MOAB.

I am not competing again this year (one day I will stop procrastinating and get back into hardcore tourny play again) however, I will be scouring the bring and buy for any lost treasures and be playing some of the participation games that are on offer Dead mans hand and Bolt Action look interesting to me at the moment.

So if you have time this weekend it is always a good way to spend some time visiting MOAB.

Cheers,

Atomic's Most Recommended Psu's Thread. http://forums.atomic...p?showtopic=266

#1016 hawkeye

hawkeye

Shun the nonbeliever

• God
  • 11,197 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 09:03 AM

I've been seeing photos from the event showing up on various wargaming feeds on Facebook - looked like a great weekend, especially the Bolt Action stuff.

#1017 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,936 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:04 PM

So there's a fan-made "9th age" rule set for people that don't like Age of Sigmar:

http://www.the-ninth...af2293231d463ef
四時半を待っています!

#1018 hawkeye

hawkeye

Shun the nonbeliever

• God
  • 11,197 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 12:22 PM

I am unsurprised.

#1019 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,936 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:33 AM

Likewise.

It's worth a look though, if just to get a feel for what people thought needed fixing from 8th ed.
四時半を待っています!

#1020 hawkeye

hawkeye

Shun the nonbeliever

• God
  • 11,197 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 11:10 AM

I haven't played Fantasy in years. I even play a lot less 40k these days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users