• Please log in to reply
1031 replies to this topic

#1021 physt

physt

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 228 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:17 PM

Way overdue in posting this, but a few mates and I got together on the 600th anniversary of Agincourt to eat food, drink beer, smack talk and play a game of Sword and Spear.

I have a shitload of piccies here.

To set the scene, here's the hilarious email invite my mate sent out prior to the day.

Gentlemen. And Frenchmen. 

This Sunday is Agincourt Day. When we few, we happy few, we band of nerds, shall converge upon my games room and enter into furious melee with man dollies and bucketloads of dice. 

At stake is the reputation of two great Kingdoms.  Can the English go 2-0 up and wipe the French from the boggy fields of Agincourt again? Or will the French finally have the opportunity to wipe clean the stain they earned with such infamy exactly six centuries ago? And in the process make up for their disastrous showings at Blenheim. And Moscow. And Waterloo. And all through 1870. And most of WW1. And the brief bit of WW2 before they gave up and became Nazis.  And Vietnam. And Tunisia. And on the weekend against the All Blacks?

Only time will tell. 

And after the Army Break point has been reached and the dice have fallen silent those lucky few who were witness to history will be able to look back and say 'I was there on St Crispin's Day in the Year of Our Lord 2015. I was part of history.'

So, come ye for an afternoon of feasting and fighting.  Proceedings will commence at noon with lunch of some sort or another.  Probably comprising roast animal.  And then the fighting shall commence. 

The scenario rules are simple.

The field consists of two sets of woods, one on each flank, which gradually constrict the field into a fairly narrow pass. In the middle of that pass are areas of ploughed ground represented by sections of field terrain.  

The woods are classed as difficult ground

The ploughed fields have a few special rules:

every time a heavy infantry or cavalry unit moves or fights in a section of ploughed field, roll 1d6.  On a 6, that section becomes difficult ground for HI or cavalry only for the remainder of that game TURN. The section remains rough ground for everyone else.

They are classed as rough ground BUT If a unit straddles more than one field section, test for the one the unit occupies most.  

This represents the bogging down of the heavy unit, but the possibility of finding better ground later or another unit finding a different path through. 

The armies will deploy roughly in their historical positions.  The English in a concave V, the French in 3 successive 'battles'.  There will be a couple of rules on unit placement, described on the day.

The first to break their opponent wins.

Friend Computer is wise. Friend Computer wants Alpha Complex to be happy. Happiness Is Mandatory. Failure to be happy is treason. Treason is punishable by summary execution. Have a nice daycycle!

#1022 hectorbustnuts

hectorbustnuts

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 30,444 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:26 PM

BBBUUUUMMMMPPPPPPP!!!!

So, what the shit's happening, cool dudes?

Here's a bunch of Chaos minis I've recently completed, from the Age of Sigmar starter set.

Anyone else still putting paint on little war-dollies?

oMAQ8JL.jpg
FSgfuyh.jpg

CTsynkY.jpg

2k57gxz.jpg

mxysm0F.jpg

#1023 TinBane

TinBane

Super Hero

• Mod
  • 21,537 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 03:49 PM

Your Khorne gear is looking amazing!

I've just got back into epic, so if anyone has spare epic minis they are not using (space marines / titans) then hook me up :P

Still playing Horus Heresy 30k, I should post up some of my pictures. What's the best way to post them up on Atomic these days? I used to use dropbox, but they make it super-hard now and you have to fiddle with URLS etc.

Romans 10:3 absit iniuria verbis

#1024 hectorbustnuts

hectorbustnuts

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 30,444 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 03:53 PM

I just dumped the pics on Imgur, and dropped in the direct URL.

#1025 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,668 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 04:41 PM

I just dumped the pics on Imgur, and dropped in the direct URL.

That's the host just about everyone uses here these days.  And for good reason too: it's dead easy to upload stuff; and equally easy to link it - with no bullshit image resizing, watermarking, or injected crap.

Er, just make sure you use the right link, Tinny.  You want the one beginning with "i.imgur" - that's the direct link.  At least one of the others times out - it'll be fine when you post it, but will break after a day.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#1026 mohawk

mohawk

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:14 PM

Just got back from the UK where I picked up a copy of Tanks and some Pershings and IS-2's to go with it.

It is not available here yet but a mate of mine pre-ordered it from the UK so I had already played it before I went to the UK so knew that I had to get it myself.

Good skirmish game that is very easy to learn and pick up however, is hard to master with an underlining complexity that at first glance you don't see.

QtzToJq.jpg?1

Atomic's Most Recommended Psu's Thread. http://forums.atomic...p?showtopic=266

#1027 mohawk

mohawk

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 05:58 AM

Just getting ready to head off to MOAB.

Again I'm not competing however I still enjoy droping in and soaking up all of the wargaming goodness.

There is going to be a Tanks demo all weekend which I'm excited about as I would love to see more people get into this great little skirmish game that really is very cheap to get into compared to other games around.

Will post a report once I get back.

#1028 physt

physt

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 228 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 08:27 PM

Nice job with the Chaos minis Hector! I'm still painting and playing. Mostly 15mm ancients these days using the very excellent Sword and Spear rule set. A few of our gaming club have been poring over the pre-release Sword and Spear: Fantasy rule supplement and we're all excited about dusting off our old WHFB minis and re-purposing them.

I had a few mates at MOAB this year playing S&S. I'll couldn't make it but I'll be trying again next year.

Would be very interested in a review on Tanks.

Friend Computer is wise. Friend Computer wants Alpha Complex to be happy. Happiness Is Mandatory. Failure to be happy is treason. Treason is punishable by summary execution. Have a nice daycycle!

#1029 physt

physt

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 228 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:04 PM

Oh yeah!

#1030 mohawk

mohawk

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 06:35 AM

Ok just a tad late!

MOAB was great as usual. 

The thing that stood out the most was how much GW games are dying at least in the tournament scene. Fantasy was non-existent and 40k was just a foot note.

The big hitters were Bolt Action, Flames of War and Team Yankee with nice turn outs in the smaller games.

I made just over $300 in the buy and sell which was nice and was able to clear out stuff I have not touched in years.

All in all another great day out. If you have never been it is well worth a look even if you are not into tourney play you will find a lot of retailers in one spot and meet like minded people.

Edited by mohawk, 03 February 2017 - 06:36 AM.

#1031 mohawk

mohawk

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 06:56 AM

Would be very interested in a review on Tanks.

If you like a nice simple rules set with a small amount of minis in a small play area that can be played in 30 to 60 mins, then this could be for you.

The tank stats and movement are abstract however, they do give you the feel of the vehicle without bogging you down in overcomplicated data.

I have a group that meets approx once a month and plays boardgames. Of the 4 of us 3 are wargammers from way back and the other has only been a boardgamer.

We played tanks one night and our boardgamer friend loved it because to him it felt more like a board game and he was able to pick up the rules in about 5 minutes.

Games like this that bridge the gap between wargame and boardgame are very useful in introducing non-wargamers to wargaming.

Edited by mohawk, 03 February 2017 - 06:58 AM.

#1032 hectorbustnuts

hectorbustnuts

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 30,444 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:29 AM

Well, it's been a while, duders!  Been a good long while. 

Finally got back into some proper *gaming* (rather than just painting) over the last few weeks.

GW's "Kill Team" box set of last year really gave me the drive to hit some smaller battles.  Playing a bastard blend of KT & 40K rules while we get back into the swing of things, but plenty of fun is being had and that, I think, is way more important than rules Nazism.
mE2APG2.jpg

LBFaXl5.jpg

DnsYxhM.jpg

hbvQcJi.jpg

Also, decided this week that I'd had enough of Ultramarines.  I've been playing the Space Smurfs for over 20 years, so into a bucket of Simple Green they went.

Going to go Imperial Fists this time around.  Should be fun!

PXEK8iW.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)