• Please log in to reply
634 replies to this topic

#1 witcher01

witcher01

Charge

• Atomican
  • 409 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:04 PM

Has there been much information on this new operating system ??? ive heard rumours around the place but nothing really concrete... any u guys got some information on it??? maybe a estimated release date ??

#2 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 21,368 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:07 PM

Release date is 2012 (most likely). There isn't much legit information other than supposed leaked slides quite a few months back.

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

An open mind is willing to consider new ideas, while provisionally accepting those backed by empirical evidence, and provisionally rejecting those without.

#3 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,016 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:13 PM

It's an even release, so it'll be shit. Stay with 7 until 9 is ready. ;P

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"There is no "I" in team." - "True.  I will not be found in any team."

#4 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 21,368 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:30 PM

It's an even release, so it'll be shit. Stay with 7 until 9 is ready. ;P

Call me hopeful, but they may have learnt their lesson with 7. Will be an interesting release.

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

An open mind is willing to consider new ideas, while provisionally accepting those backed by empirical evidence, and provisionally rejecting those without.

#5 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,395 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:35 PM

It's going to have to be a massive fucking improvement to get me off Win 7 ATM. Personally I can't see that happening unless they get WinFS or it's equivalent sorted.

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

#6 ShiroKage

ShiroKage

Charge

• Atomican
  • 269 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:59 PM

Still a bit early to get excited about it. I wonder whether they will call it Windows 8 or something else. Windows 2012 End of the World Edition?

#7 st8smn

st8smn

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:49 PM

i wonder if this will be the cover
minus the xp bit

Posted Image

I wish for a world where a chicken can cross the road without having its motives questioned.

#8 Morgoth

Morgoth

Guru

• Hero
  • 15,883 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:56 AM

Will windows 8 include the new filesystem to replace NTFS which they've been banging on about for years?
2011 Atomic 3DMark & Game Benchmark Rankings !! http://forums.atomic...showtopic=41178 Current PC (no lie) Athlon XP-M 2400+@2640MHz (3d) / Abit NF7-S2.0 Vmodded / 1Gig OCZ Gold EL GX BH-5 / ATI Radeon 9800XT@500MHz

#9 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 21,368 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:16 PM

Will windows 8 include the new filesystem to replace NTFS which they've been banging on about for years?

I'm fairly sure they scrapped it long ago. It isn't as good as people think it is, and it certainly isn't a benefit if developers aren't interested in utilising it.

#10 BookWorm.303

BookWorm.303

Master

• Atomican
  • 969 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:43 PM

the question is will it be worth my time to upgrade from Windows XP Pro?

I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes... or should I?

#11 wilsontc

wilsontc

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,242 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 05:35 PM

It will be compatible with ARM processors. Other than that, I don't think there has been much confirmed...
emccat, Sep 23 2008: you could build like 40 probably more space shuttles or reserch a new type of ion drive (i mean i have come up with a working in theory proptype design AND IM 14) i mean really you'd think that you'd try to settle on the moon at least for all the minerals and crap there.

#12 Redhatter

Redhatter

Guru

• Hero
  • 9,300 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:06 PM

minus the xp bit

Posted Image

Ouch, that the new banner for "Windows Hate"? (Which strangely enough, rhymes with "Windows 8")

One thing you can be certain on, is that out of the 100 things they might promise, you may get a dozen actually implemented. A lot of people around me are still sticking by Windows XP for better or worse. Heck, I've got a VM here running Windows 2000.

And with the Vista fiasco fresh in their minds? Who can blame them?

As for me, I consider myself a power user, and I've never lived without a command line of some sorts (I'm almost totally lost on a OS9 Mac). The newer user interface presented by these later editions of Windows don't particularly grab me. Heck, I'm quite content with the interface of Windows 3.1.

In fact, it took me a good month or two to figure out how to add icons to the desktop in Windows 95, and a little longer to add entries into the Start menu … I was used to bringing up Program Manager, going File… → New… → Program Group/Program Item, and entering the details there. For a long while, I was relying on clicking Start → Run to run my DOS games and QBasic.

Every new release moves things around to where they were before. And as I say, I consider myself a power user, so you can imagine how it is for a novice.

It's worth pointing out that I emigrated from the Microsoft world over to the Free Software world many years ago. Today, I now consider this my home and only return for short stints on business. Nothing I do for pleasure is done on Windows.

Whenever I do, the first thing that usually bites me is my key bindings. I'm used to being able to drive most aspects of the desktop from a keyboard alone. This is particularly handy on the netbook and laptop. I can almost ignore the pointing device and drive the machine from the keyboard entirely. Move windows around, maximise and minimise windows, move them between virtual desktops, shade windows, you name it, I can probably do it.

Nowhere can I see a means to do the same in Windows. Nope, Microsoft decided the key bindings you may use, and what Microsoft says, goes. Now some would argue this is standardisation. Fine… if it were a computer that I shared with others. My computer is my personal computer, and so it should work the way I want it to.

Microsoft with each release, seem hell-bent on making my computer present the same user interface as everyone elses, and increasingly, dumbing down the interface for the lowest common denominator. At the moment, I have one laptop which dual boots Windows XP and Linux (spends most of its time in the latter). I have a couple of VMs that run Windows. Almost everything else is Linux.

Some day I'll have to replace my laptop, and at that time, it may be a choice between Windows 7 and Windows 8. Mind you, I'll happily buy a Windows Vista laptop if they'll waive the operating system cost (and I give it an exorcism with a Gentoo LiveCD on-the-spot), but I doubt there'll be any left. My leaning will probably be towards the newer, as any code I develop will probably have to work on it, but likely, it'll be set up for dual-boot like this one, and will spend most of its time running Linux.

Microsoft won't want to rush Windows 8. Look what happened with Vista… Microsoft have managed to churn out a semi-decent OS when they've actually spent the time on it to make it a worthwhile product, fixing bugs rather than introducing features. Vista was more a case of piling on feature after feature, with the end result being an un-debugged mess that went to market. They then spent the next few years bug fixing it, which is how we got Windows 7. If they keep polishing it, it may turn out half decent, but if they just decide to do a feature-rush, it'll backfire.

Operating systems should not take centre stage with regards to a user's interactions. Microsoft seem hell-bent on Windows on being the reason you'd want a computer. It should just get its business done quietly in the background whilst allowing uninterrupted dialogue between application and user. After all, you don't use the OS so much, but rather the applications you install on it. This favours the more iterative approach that they took with Windows 7 and Windows XP, versus the rush that was Windows Millennium and Windows Vista.

I suppose my point is, if we hear that they're going to introduce feature after feature after feature, then we should run for the hills. If nothing much is said about it until release, then that may be a good sign that they've got their minds focussed where it truly matters.

Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL) I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on a tape somewhere...

No longer active on these forums, see http://stuartl.longlandclan.yi.org/ for contact details.

#13 krispy89

krispy89

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:59 PM

Windows 8?!? I'm only just about to get onto Windows 7 for fuck sake!

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up isn't"
"Never lose your inner kid"

#14 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 21,368 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:08 PM

Windows 8?!?

I'm only just about to get onto Windows 7 for fuck sake!

Innovation waits for nobody. :P

#15 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,395 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:03 PM

the question is will it be worth my time to upgrade from Windows XP Pro?

If you want to play games or use new hardware that does not have XP drivers then yes I suppose it would be worth it.
BF3 at least looks like being Vista/Win 7/+ only as it is a directx 11 only game.

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

#16 Director

Director

Immortal

• Hero
  • 40,460 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:55 AM

I've heard it's more 'cloudy' so....meh. Not real interested in cloud stuff for what I do though I can see the benefit for enterprise situations (and global megalomaniacs).

"The most powerful tool in the hand of the opressor is the mind of the opressed."-- Steve Biko

Those Who Dance Are Considered Insane by Those Who Can’t Hear the Music.

#17 VannA

VannA

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 13,662 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:33 PM

minus the xp bit

Posted Image

Ouch, that the new banner for "Windows Hate"? (Which strangely enough, rhymes with "Windows 8")

One thing you can be certain on, is that out of the 100 things they might promise, you may get a dozen actually implemented. A lot of people around me are still sticking by Windows XP for better or worse. Heck, I've got a VM here running Windows 2000.

And with the Vista fiasco fresh in their minds? Who can blame them?

As for me, I consider myself a power user, and I've never lived without a command line of some sorts (I'm almost totally lost on a OS9 Mac). The newer user interface presented by these later editions of Windows don't particularly grab me. Heck, I'm quite content with the interface of Windows 3.1.

In fact, it took me a good month or two to figure out how to add icons to the desktop in Windows 95, and a little longer to add entries into the Start menu … I was used to bringing up Program Manager, going File… → New… → Program Group/Program Item, and entering the details there. For a long while, I was relying on clicking Start → Run to run my DOS games and QBasic.

Every new release moves things around to where they were before. And as I say, I consider myself a power user, so you can imagine how it is for a novice.

It's worth pointing out that I emigrated from the Microsoft world over to the Free Software world many years ago. Today, I now consider this my home and only return for short stints on business. Nothing I do for pleasure is done on Windows.

Whenever I do, the first thing that usually bites me is my key bindings. I'm used to being able to drive most aspects of the desktop from a keyboard alone. This is particularly handy on the netbook and laptop. I can almost ignore the pointing device and drive the machine from the keyboard entirely. Move windows around, maximise and minimise windows, move them between virtual desktops, shade windows, you name it, I can probably do it.

Nowhere can I see a means to do the same in Windows. Nope, Microsoft decided the key bindings you may use, and what Microsoft says, goes. Now some would argue this is standardisation. Fine… if it were a computer that I shared with others. My computer is my personal computer, and so it should work the way I want it to.

Microsoft with each release, seem hell-bent on making my computer present the same user interface as everyone elses, and increasingly, dumbing down the interface for the lowest common denominator. At the moment, I have one laptop which dual boots Windows XP and Linux (spends most of its time in the latter). I have a couple of VMs that run Windows. Almost everything else is Linux.

Some day I'll have to replace my laptop, and at that time, it may be a choice between Windows 7 and Windows 8. Mind you, I'll happily buy a Windows Vista laptop if they'll waive the operating system cost (and I give it an exorcism with a Gentoo LiveCD on-the-spot), but I doubt there'll be any left. My leaning will probably be towards the newer, as any code I develop will probably have to work on it, but likely, it'll be set up for dual-boot like this one, and will spend most of its time running Linux.

Microsoft won't want to rush Windows 8. Look what happened with Vista… Microsoft have managed to churn out a semi-decent OS when they've actually spent the time on it to make it a worthwhile product, fixing bugs rather than introducing features. Vista was more a case of piling on feature after feature, with the end result being an un-debugged mess that went to market. They then spent the next few years bug fixing it, which is how we got Windows 7. If they keep polishing it, it may turn out half decent, but if they just decide to do a feature-rush, it'll backfire.

Operating systems should not take centre stage with regards to a user's interactions. Microsoft seem hell-bent on Windows on being the reason you'd want a computer. It should just get its business done quietly in the background whilst allowing uninterrupted dialogue between application and user. After all, you don't use the OS so much, but rather the applications you install on it. This favours the more iterative approach that they took with Windows 7 and Windows XP, versus the rush that was Windows Millennium and Windows Vista.

I suppose my point is, if we hear that they're going to introduce feature after feature after feature, then we should run for the hills. If nothing much is said about it until release, then that may be a good sign that they've got their minds focussed where it truly matters.

MS make corporate products.
Most of your complaints are not compatible with that goal.

#18 tantryl

tantryl

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 41,933 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:25 PM

There's been some malware & adware around recently advertising itself as Windows 8. I'm guessing that's what prompted the OPs question.
"Unless I call you a stupid goddamn liar to your face, I'm being light hearted." - tantryl, to all you evil fucks "Two things. Number one; I get hard when a woman cries. Number two; your daughter will never walk again." - Dr Glenn Richie

#19 nobody813

nobody813

Champion

• Atomican
  • 6,538 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:45 AM

Windows 8?!?

I'm only just about to get onto Windows 7 for fuck sake!

Innovation waits for nobody. :P

They do wait for me hey? :P

I'm one of those late comers, only upgrading from XP last year. I don't think I'll jump on the Windows 8 bandwagon until I have a valid reason

"Nobody, including Nobody, knows what Nobody is doing..." - millen

Intel Core i5 4670K | ASRock Z97 Extreme4 | 16GB G.Skill Ares DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0 4GB | Cogage Arrow | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo | 2TB & 1TB Seagate 7200.14's | Corsair RM650i | Fractal Design Arc Midi

#20 Redhatter

Redhatter

Guru

• Hero
  • 9,300 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:30 AM

MS make corporate products.
Most of your complaints are not compatible with that goal.

Windows Home and Windows Media Centre are corporate products?

Even then, an office worker is going to be much more productive if they can adapt the desktop to suit their work flow, rather than having to conform to some uniform standard.

Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL) I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on a tape somewhere...

No longer active on these forums, see http://stuartl.longlandclan.yi.org/ for contact details.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users