• Please log in to reply
634 replies to this topic

#201 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,078 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:48 PM

...what's with the whole having to log in to an MSN account to get the full use of it?

You fucking what?

I was not going to buy it just because the UI is horrible, but I probably would have put up with it through laziness when I upgraded hardware next. That bit of news, otoh, is going to finalise my move to linux. (Already had a few plays with it, but it wasn't ready for prime time yet, imo, when compared to W7.)

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"There is no "I" in team." - "True.  I will not be found in any team."

#202 A Hitman

A Hitman

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:29 AM

Sorry I haven't read the whole thread, but when are we roughly expecting this? I want to upgrade, but I don't want to buy W7 for my desktop if W8 is going to be released late this year or early next year.

Some places are now offering the Win 8 upgrade offer.
http://windows.micro...s/upgrade-offer
Frankly I am totally underwhelmed by the UI, I think it is bloody horrible.
I even had to fucking Google to find the goddam shutdown button, plus what's with the whole having to log in to an MSN account to get the full use of it? The fuck is with that bullshit? What happens if you currently have no internet available or have a network adapter that requires 3rd party drivers, or need to enter proxies or fixed IPs to get a connection?

uhhhhhhhhh
For a start you don't have to use an MSN account, you can create an account just like you do in Vista/7.
You can also merge the local account with an MSN account if you want, but it makes you use the password of that account to log in.
Once they are merged/created you don't need an internet connection to log in.

I do agree that the UI is broken, it seems the teams did not communicate when designing it..
Seems to be the decade to throw 30 years of GUI development out the window...

#203 nobody813

nobody813

Champion

• Atomican
  • 6,539 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:46 AM

Microsoft: You Are the Reason Why We Killed the Start Menu

You're the reason why Microsoft yanked our beloved Start button out of Windows. For shame.

One of the big negative issues surrounding the upcoming release of Windows 8 is the lack of a Start button, one of the standard Windows-based features we've used since the release of Windows 95. It was assumed that Microsoft ditched the familiar tool in order to force users into accepting the new Metro interface. Heck, Microsoft event went so far as to remove code from the OS that would have enabled a third-party Start button.

But now Microsoft is blaming the actual consumer for its removal. Chaitanya Sareen, principal program manager at Microsoft, said during TechEd in Amsterdam that users began to fall out of favor for the Start button in Windows 7, preferring to pin their favorite applications to the taskbar instead. This observation was based on telemetry gathered by the Microsoft Customer Experience Improvement Program.

"Wed seen the trend in Windows 7," Sareen told PC Pro. "When we evolved the taskbar we saw awesome adoption of pinning [applications] on the taskbar. We are seeing people pin like crazy. And so we saw the Start menu usage dramatically dropping, and that gave us an option. Were saying 'look, Start menu usage is dropping, what can we do about it? What can we do with the Start menu to revive it, to give it some new identity, give it some new power?'"

"So Im a desktop user, I pin the browser, Explorer, whatever my apps are. I dont go the Start menu as often," he added. "If youre going to the Start screen now, were going to unlock a whole new set of scenarios, or you can choose not to go there, stay in the desktop, and its still fast. You cant beat the taskbar."

Sareen also said that Windows 7 users are taking advantage of keyboard shortcuts to open applications rather than digging them out from the Start menu. For instance, by pressing the Windows Key and "1" once Internet Explorer is pinned to the taskbar, the browser loads. It's not as quick as simply clicking on the icon pinned to the taskbar, but it's quicker than digging through the Start menu.

In addition to talking about the lack of a Start button, she also reportedly dismissed complaints about how the Metro interface is more focused on touch-based devices than the desktops and laptops that make up the majority of Microsoft's business. Even two Microsoft presenters were struggling to make gesture controls work on laptop trackpads during the show.

According to Sareen, the touchpad drivers were still "very, very early" and were "still being refined." He also said the Metro interface "really works well with the mouse and keyboard."

"Nobody, including Nobody, knows what Nobody is doing..." - millen

Intel Core i7 4790K | ASRock Z97 Extreme4 | 16GB G.Skill Ares DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0 4GB | Cogage Arrow | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo | 2TB + 1TB Seagate 7200.14's | Corsair RM650i | Fractal Design Arc Midi

#204 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,078 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

... users began to fall out of favor for the Start button in Windows 7, preferring to pin their favorite applications to the taskbar instead.

This is true. Of course, that wouldn't have anything at all to do with the start menu being completely useless in W7.

#205 A Hitman

A Hitman

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:40 PM

Also the fact they want everyone running Metro apps where the get 30% of the profits might be a motive...

#206 nobody813

nobody813

Champion

• Atomican
  • 6,539 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:12 PM

Well, I still use it :-P

"Nobody, including Nobody, knows what Nobody is doing..." - millen

Intel Core i7 4790K | ASRock Z97 Extreme4 | 16GB G.Skill Ares DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0 4GB | Cogage Arrow | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo | 2TB + 1TB Seagate 7200.14's | Corsair RM650i | Fractal Design Arc Midi

#207 osama_bin_athlon

osama_bin_athlon

Titan

• Hero
  • 21,067 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:55 PM

Well, I still use it :-P

+1
Quote by lunchbox1988 No, but the way he eases me onto his chimp-meat, makes me think he is prince charming. i7 2600K @ 4.4G/Corsair H100/Asrock Z68 Ext4 Gen3/16G 2133Mhz RipjawsX/2x GTX560 Direct CU SLI/2x Corsair 120G Force3 (RAID_0)/8TB Storage (2x RAID_0 arrays)/1x 320G WD Black - Backup/SB Recon3D Fatal1ty Pro/Corsair HX1000/LiteOn BD-RW/CM HAF 932 Adv/Win7 Ult. x64/27" AOC e2795Vh

#208 Takoma

Takoma

Titan

• Hero
  • 23,385 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:13 PM

Ooo, Windows 8 includes, for the first time, proper italic and italic bold versions of Comic Sans MS! Fuck yeah! Installing!
things

#209 Harmonic Cacophony

Harmonic Cacophony

Guru

• Atomican
  • 12,823 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:02 AM

Ooo, Windows 8 includes, for the first time, proper italic and italic bold versions of Comic Sans MS!

Fuck yeah! Installing!

Ten year old schoolkids and middelaged housewives who make flyers, rejoice!

#210 Takoma

Takoma

Titan

• Hero
  • 23,385 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:28 PM

Also NBA team owners and Fortune 500 companies.
things

#211 ninjacatfish

ninjacatfish

Charge

• Atomican
  • 331 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for $39.99!

I was completely uninterested in Windows 8. 7 does the job for me and I was not going to upgrade for a long time, assuming it would cost $200+ locally like previous versions.

For $40 though I'm thinking I'll give it a go on launch day. Good to see Microsoft taking notice of the adoption rate of low-priced new versions of OS X and trying the same thing. Cheap upgrades ftw!
PC: Intel i5 2500K @4.5GHz | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP RAM | 2x MSI GTX560 Ti Hawk in SLI | MSI P67A-GD65 | 120GB Intel 520 SSD+3TB of HDDs | Silverstone Fortress FT-02 | Dell U2711 + Dell U2311H 15-inch MacBook Pro late-2008: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz | 4GB DDR3 RAM | 320GB HDD | GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT

#212 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 21,368 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:48 PM

It's still $40 too much given there's absolutely nothing that helps productivity.

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

An open mind is willing to consider new ideas, while provisionally accepting those backed by empirical evidence, and provisionally rejecting those without.

#213 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,078 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:52 AM

It's still $40 too much given there's absolutely nothing that helps productivity.

Actively gets in the way of it, if you're talking about Metro.

#214 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,939 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:28 AM

Actively gets in the way of it, if you're talking about Metro.

Quote from 1965: "Fucking mechanical tabulator, actively gets in the way of productivity."
Quote from 1985: "Fucking graphical UI, actively gets in the way of productivity."
Quote from 1995: "Fucking Start Menu, actively gets in the way of productivity."

UI overhauls are nothing new. Everybody always says the same thing.

Edited by SquallStrife, 05 July 2012 - 11:28 AM.

SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#215 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,078 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:36 PM

Quote from 1965: "Fucking mechanical tabulator, actively gets in the way of productivity."
Quote from 1985: "Fucking graphical UI, actively gets in the way of productivity."
Quote from 1995: "Fucking Start Menu, actively gets in the way of productivity."

UI overhauls are nothing new. Everybody always says the same thing.

I don't know about the 1965 one, but the other two were correct. Swapping from keyboard to mouse does incur a time penalty and therefore result in a productivity loss. Moreover, many people have shit mousing skills, and end up circling the hotspot they're after a time or two before being able to click it.

The main issue with Metro is not so much that it's different - people will get over that (as I believe was your argument). The problem is that it's organised in a way that would much better suit portrait screen orientation, when everyone now has widescreens. I don't know about you, but I'm old enough to have seen my screen realestate shrinking, despite resolution improvements, and that's down to everything being rendered with lush-but-fat graphics and poor UI decisions.

I turned off Aero the other day because it was causing problems with an old piece of software I had a yen to replay. The amount of extra space I suddenly had was startling.

The Metro ribbon is wrong.

#216 sponger

sponger

Guru

• Atomican
  • 12,142 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

I don't know about the 1965 one, but the other two were correct. Swapping from keyboard to mouse does incur a time penalty and therefore result in a productivity loss. Moreover, many people have shit mousing skills, and end up circling the hotspot they're after a time or two before being able to click it.

Agree...in general GUIs might have a low "bootstrap" time (ie, time to learn) but CLI wins over time.

#217 strifus

strifus

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:58 PM

I was thinking of testing Windows 8 out just for the hell of it. Has anyone here installed the Release Preview version of it??

Intel Core i7 3930K, Gigabyte x79-UD5, 16GB Corsair Vengence RAM, Gainward 1070GTX, 256GB Samsung 850 EVO, 3 x 1TB Hitachi HDD, LG BD-DVD Optical Drive, Corsair TX 750 PSU, CoolerMaster Hyper 412s HSF, CoolerMaster Cosmos II Tower.

#218 codecreeper

codecreeper

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

Is it true that Windows8 will be cloud based ? All your settings and profiles will be stored on MS cloud storage they even monitor your usage too. Kinda sounds spooky that MS are taking this path now. Think i will stay with Win7 64bit for now.

Life is like a Straw , ...... it sucks.

#219 A Hitman

A Hitman

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

Is it true that Windows8 will be cloud based ? All your settings and profiles will be stored on MS cloud storage they even monitor your usage too. Kinda sounds spooky that MS are taking this path now. Think i will stay with Win7 64bit for now.

You can link it to Microsoft account if you wan't, and it will keep setting synced between computers.
But it is not a requirement to do so, you can still make traditional local accounts.

Windows 7 already monitors your usage if you let it btw.

#220 coutts86

coutts86

Serf

• Lurker
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:45 AM

Having worked in the IT industry 10 years now, I was the same.. very skeptical about Windows 8 and its metro interface. However after using the release preview I can say its actually work pretty good even on mouse and kb. I will be downloading on day 1 (technet sub) Yes there have been claims games dont work (I am a gamer) all you need to do is download dx9 from the MS website and everything runs fine. same thing happened with Windows 7 on release.

Edited by coutts86, 11 July 2012 - 11:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users