• Please log in to reply
634 replies to this topic

#161 osama_bin_athlon

osama_bin_athlon

Titan

• Hero
  • 21,067 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:31 AM

I wonder if those M$ windows promotional parties will be happening again, I wouldn't mind getting a free version again! ;)
Quote by lunchbox1988 No, but the way he eases me onto his chimp-meat, makes me think he is prince charming. i7 2600K @ 4.4G/Corsair H100/Asrock Z68 Ext4 Gen3/16G 2133Mhz RipjawsX/2x GTX560 Direct CU SLI/2x Corsair 120G Force3 (RAID_0)/8TB Storage (2x RAID_0 arrays)/1x 320G WD Black - Backup/SB Recon3D Fatal1ty Pro/Corsair HX1000/LiteOn BD-RW/CM HAF 932 Adv/Win7 Ult. x64/27" AOC e2795Vh

#162 dreed

dreed

Apprentice

• Quark
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:47 AM

how one does get an invite for one of those parties?
Support our troops, buy bonds now!

#163 gunny

gunny

Master

• Atomican
  • 889 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:06 PM

MS pimped them but they made the advert so gay it made true geeks run for cover.

#164 BookWorm.303

BookWorm.303

Master

• Atomican
  • 969 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:45 AM

WHat's the difference between the Developers' & Consumers' versions?

I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes... or should I?

#165 lunchbox1988

lunchbox1988

Guru

• Atomican
  • 8,433 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:36 AM

The Dev release is for app developers to get the SDK and have a fiddle with writing apps. The consumer one is so Joe Public can test out if the OS will work with their favourite apps and any new ones of interest.

#166 mark84

mark84

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

Downloaded and installed the consumer preview yesterday. Been messing with it a bit. My first go at using Win8 Boy is is different to Win7, just in terms of opening any programs. Some things are hidden away in deeper menu levels or completely different areas. It's a bit clunky getting around it at the moment. Slowly understanding how it works but simply getting to the start menu with the mouse, I find easier just to hit the key on the keyboard. IMO, they have the taskbar still in desktop mode, should make the left and right extremities of it buttons to call up start screen and charms bar. Rather than just the absolute corners. I had to google to find those corners out too, nothing saying "hey these 3 corners do stuff". Task manager is pretty neat though. Nice visual and functionality update. (about time it got some TLC). And the "up" button is back in windows explorer!

Desktop: i7 6850K @ 4.3GHz | Titan X (Pascal) | 32GB RAM | 120GB + 500GB SSDs | 2x 5TB HDD in RAID1

Server: G3258 @4.6GHz | 120GB SSD | 2x 4TB RAID1 | 2x 6TB RAID1

Desktop build log | Firefox AtomicMPC Menu | The Truth About Graphics Power Requirements V2 | CPU bench league

www.atomicsimracing.net - The place for Atomicans who love motor sports and sim racing.

#167 osama_bin_athlon

osama_bin_athlon

Titan

• Hero
  • 21,067 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:55 AM

MS pimped them but they made the advert so gay it made true geeks run for cover.

if paying $485 (retail price on release) knowing full well that you can get it for nothing makes you a geek.....
Quote by lunchbox1988 No, but the way he eases me onto his chimp-meat, makes me think he is prince charming. i7 2600K @ 4.4G/Corsair H100/Asrock Z68 Ext4 Gen3/16G 2133Mhz RipjawsX/2x GTX560 Direct CU SLI/2x Corsair 120G Force3 (RAID_0)/8TB Storage (2x RAID_0 arrays)/1x 320G WD Black - Backup/SB Recon3D Fatal1ty Pro/Corsair HX1000/LiteOn BD-RW/CM HAF 932 Adv/Win7 Ult. x64/27" AOC e2795Vh

#168 sora3

sora3

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,900 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

Well, I've loaded Windows 8 on my laptop as per standing with my policy of the oldest machine gets a test run for the beta Windows. And here's my take on the matter. The installer is definitely a lot faster compared to the Windows 7 installer. From boot-up of the splash screen to the actual finish of the install was about 10-15mins. This is compared to the Windows 7 installer which took about 20-30mins which is highly dependent on the DVD drive. So that's one good thing at the outset. From setup, one of the steps is to recognise your network (be it wired or wireless). The reason is to actually set up your login details. If you have set up the internet here, you'll be asked to login via your email account. This may be interesting in the long term since emails rarely change but I'm a bit sceptic about this issue and privacy in general. You can register a local account which won't use the online login. You'll find it if you do not set up an internet connection. Otherwise, you'll have to dig deep to actually find it. More on that later. The start screen is very similar to the initial home screen of tablets and phones. This is probably a negative as you install more programs, it'll actually start to get a bit cluttered. Desktop hasn't changed apart from the missing Start logo we're all used to. Most of the more advanced options is buried under the Settings which is located on your lower right, between the Clock and the Show Desktop corner. This is annoying as you'll need to be pretty precise on the mouse. Touch wouldn't have an issue but definitely need some fixing in terms of responsiveness. Alternatively, you can just hit the Windows + C keys to get this. Closing is also difficult as on some programs, there isn't a Close button. You need to drag and slide it down. But the nifty thing about this is that on the top left corner, you can see all the open applications and choose from them. This only applies to some applications though but expect more to use this feature soon. Task manager is completely revamped with visual and functionality updates all round. You can actually see what your IE is doing to not respond and the usage is actually useful for once. Drivers are basically Windows 7 versions so it should be easy to use from the get-go. Shutdown is actually interesting as it is a lot faster to do. Overall, Windows 8 is a bit odd. It is quite radical to use but once you get over the basics, it is quite normal underneath. Wish there was an option to ask whether or not you are using a desktop/laptop instead of assuming you have a touch device instantly.

Main Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz/Asus X370 Prime/Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB @ 2667(!)/Sapphire RX Vega 64/WD Green M2 240GB/Bitfenix Shinobi/Noctua NH-D14/Corsair HX-750

Camera rig: Sony Alpha a77/Sony DT 16-50mm f2.8 SSM/Sony DT 16-105mm f3.5-5.6/Tammy 70-200mm f2.8/Sony DT 50mm f1.8/Sony HVL F42AM Flash

#169 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,901 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:58 PM

Man, I'm trying wean users off XP at the moment. Just got rid all our Win2000 PCs a few years ago. Mind you due to crappy software we have to support, XP is going be around for while here. Thank God for virtualisation.

Edited by Jeruselem, 05 March 2012 - 05:07 PM.

Is your WiFi on KRACK?

#170 c2006

c2006

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:54 AM

Yeah, from my (admittedly brief) plays with the Win 8 Developer Preview, I can't see the flashy UI going down too well on traditional desktops. On touch devices? Yes. I am aware that the desktop environment is there as an option (although too often it switches to the fancy shmancy UI). A market where I think it might also do well is as a media PC - I can see the new UI being suitable for use with a remote control and such. Personally though I'll stick with Win7 for my next build. The improved task manager however is long overdue. Shutdown? it seems to default to going into standby. On the positive side, it does appear very stable for a pre-release, like 7 was, so I don't think it'll fail HARD, it just won't succeed as much as Microsft would like IMHO.

#171 mark84

mark84

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:23 AM

It'll succeed or do better anyway in just about any other market or on any other device except for business PC use. May still do ok but the metro GUI whilst nice imo isn't best for business or power user usage, too clunky and slows you down. Maybe that'll change as I use it more, but that's how it is for me atm.

Desktop: i7 6850K @ 4.3GHz | Titan X (Pascal) | 32GB RAM | 120GB + 500GB SSDs | 2x 5TB HDD in RAID1

Desktop build log | Firefox AtomicMPC Menu | The Truth About Graphics Power Requirements V2 | CPU bench league

www.atomicsimracing.net - The place for Atomicans who love motor sports and sim racing.

#172 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,901 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:30 AM

I guess I'm used to metro, since it's on my Wp7 phone.

Is your WiFi on KRACK?

#173 jdog

jdog

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:44 PM

so i finally had a play with it today and it looks good but i few things are missing. 1.NO START BUTTON! call me old school but i have used the start button since using windows and i like it so without it feels weird, i hope they bring it back in the full release. 2. Task manger - its awesome! now i can finally see what its doing in the background! 3. metro UI - looks cool but for desktop it just sucks, would be cool on a tablet or touch screen tough. those are my first thoughts. i haven't had a blue screen yet but i hope there is option to display like BSOD do now. (sad faces are great but dont do much)

Edited by jdog, 06 March 2012 - 09:45 PM.

Atomic's wannabe LN2 Junkie
Project "Giga-bench"- Complete: bit.ly/1erdgs9
Main Rig: GA-X58A-UD7(v2)|i7 950|12gb Corsair XMS3 1600mhz|3x5870 1GB|Coolermaster HAF X |1TB WD Black HDD||Pionner DVDRW|Corsair HX850w|Logitech X530|3xDell U2711|Logitech G500|Logitech G510|HD 280 Pro Steam Name:jim_jam333/jimba86 Xbox 360 S 250GB + Kinect owner

#174 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 21,368 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:54 PM

I forsee OEMs disabling Metro on the desktops.

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

An open mind is willing to consider new ideas, while provisionally accepting those backed by empirical evidence, and provisionally rejecting those without.

#175 rs727

rs727

Master

• Atomican
  • 610 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

so i finally had a play with it today and it look good but i few things a missing.

1.NO START BUTTON! call me old school but i have used the start button since using windows and i like it so without it feels wierd, i hope they bring it back in the full release.
2. Task manger - its aswome! now i can finally see what its doing in the background!
3. metro UI - looks cool but for desktop it just sucks, would be cool on a tablet or touch screen tough.

those are my first thoughts.

i havent had a blue screen yet but i hope there is option to display like BSOD do now. (sad faces are great but dont do much)

They're pretty much my thoughts as well.

Although I quite like the start screen. Having the big tiles are quite handy with the live info they display and easier to click on than the tiny list you get on the start menu in win7.

I think it would be interesting to see a Metro-style start screen on Win7 along with the new task manager.

#176 sora3

sora3

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,900 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:35 PM

Okay. Playing it a bit more revealed a bit more. 1) Loading a crapload of photos does cause the Photo app to randomly crash back to the Metro screen. I think it's probably a restriction in the memory usage but it shouldn't create that big of an issue. And I only loaded 300MB of photos which promptly cause the app to dump me back to the desktop. 2) Windows 8 seems to have CnQ/Speedstep okay as it does fire up the clock speed whenever you need it. Plus, it's making my laptop run a lot cooler compared to Windows 7 which is interesting. 3) Some programs aren't optimised for Windows 8 yet such as Firefox and Winamp. So expect a lot of graphical glitches. Good news is that the developers for those are developing Windows 8 versions soon. :)

Main Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz/Asus X370 Prime/Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB @ 2667(!)/Sapphire RX Vega 64/WD Green M2 240GB/Bitfenix Shinobi/Noctua NH-D14/Corsair HX-750

Camera rig: Sony Alpha a77/Sony DT 16-50mm f2.8 SSM/Sony DT 16-105mm f3.5-5.6/Tammy 70-200mm f2.8/Sony DT 50mm f1.8/Sony HVL F42AM Flash

#177 mark84

mark84

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

3) Some programs aren't optimised for Windows 8 yet such as Firefox and Winamp. So expect a lot of graphical glitches. Good news is that the developers for those are developing Windows 8 versions soon. :)

Win8 or Metro versions?

I know Mozilla is working on a metro specific version. You saying the FF desktop version glitches a lot in Win8?

#178 drawesome

drawesome

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 227 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

Didn't read this all so this may be a double post.
Re-Enable the Start Menu
http://www.neowin.ne...ssic-start-menu

You can also get a Metro Disable/Enable tool
http://www.ghacks.ne...nable-metro-ui/

OriginID: MrStoolboy / SteamID: stooliog -  EX-i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz is Dead /New i5 4690 + WF3 290-OC @ Stock 1040mhz/1250mhz

#179 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 21,368 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

So, is anyone here planning to 'upgrade' to Windows 8? And if so, why?

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

An open mind is willing to consider new ideas, while provisionally accepting those backed by empirical evidence, and provisionally rejecting those without.

#180 once_i_was_a_maggot

once_i_was_a_maggot

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,185 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:52 PM

Sorry I haven't read the whole thread, but when are we roughly expecting this? I want to upgrade, but I don't want to buy W7 for my desktop if W8 is going to be released late this year or early next year.
Now I'm a super fly!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users