• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 TheFrunj

TheFrunj

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 14,169 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:07 PM

Male fertility and contraception has always been a curious affair, since there's no over-the-counter pill to stop the legions of sperm we make every day. A bloke in india's developed a treatment that, unlike a vasectomy, doesn't need anything more than a one-time injection to work. It's not something you can do yourself (though that wouldn't be a particularly pleasant experience!) and is done by a doctor. It's being studied now but seems sure to be released upon the world. Huge fascinating read here:

The procedure is known by the clunky acronym RISUG (for reversible inhibition of sperm under guidance), but it is in fact quite elegant: The substance that Das injected was a nontoxic polymer that forms a coating on the inside of the vas. As sperm flow past, they are chemically incapacitated, rendering them unable to fertilize an egg.

If the research pans out, RISUG would represent the biggest advance in male birth control since a clever Polish entrepreneur dipped a phallic mold into liquid rubber and invented the modern condom. “It holds tremendous promise,” says Ronald Weiss, a leading Canadian vasectomy surgeon and a member of a World Health Organization team that visited India to look into RISUG. “If we can prove that RISUG is safe and effective and reversible, there is no reason why anybody would have a vasectomy.”

http://www.wired.com...vasectomy/all/1 (note: NSFW image of a scrotum appears halfway through as a thumbnail for a video)

Personally I think that this is a great idea, and it seems incredibly cost-effective too. I like that it's not as damaging as a full-blown vasectomy either. If I were married and had had all the kids my partner and I wanted, I'd definitely get the injection. Long way off though!

Under what circumstances would you consider getting the treatment done? Would you consider it at all?
"TheFrunj doesn't guess, when he forms words with his lips, the world will Warp and change to do his bidding." - Shikimaru No longer writing for Atomic :( http://forums.atomic...showtopic=49899

#2 ArcaneMagik

ArcaneMagik

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 10,135 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:22 PM

As long as it's safe, reversible and has an extremely high effectiveness. It's got to stop millions of swimmers, not just 1 egg.
Is it possible for a DnD Cleric to be an agnostic? Come on, a pillar of fire raining down on your enemies is hardly proof of a divine being.

#3 Director

Director

Initiate

• Hero
  • 37,563 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:31 PM

My vasectomy trumps your jelly.

"The most powerful tool in the hand of the opressor is the mind of the opressed."-- Steve Biko

#4 moist

moist

Charge

• Atomican
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:48 PM

The blade all the way.
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

#5 orinjuse

orinjuse

Learner

• Hero
  • 21,869 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:36 PM

Sounds promising! If any country needs it, it's India.
Love is knowing your partner would not hesitate to put a bullet in your brainpan at the first sign of zombification.

#6 Laptirp

Laptirp

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 6,272 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:46 PM

Come back to me once the research has finished "panning out". Until then, my Depo injection every 3 months will do me fine, thank you. EDIT: it would be interesting to see how many blokes would actually take the onus upon themselves, if this comes to fruition,rather than insisting that the woman is the one responsible for the contraception.

Edited by Laptirp, 29 April 2011 - 09:51 PM.

#7 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Learner

• Hero
  • 17,341 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:54 PM

id do it today. as long as sperm banks are cheap (and they are) incase i want kids in the future.
Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy. I'm good at video games, I can fix a computer, I can fix a car, I like long walks, I can make you a really good sandwich, unfortunately, I'm a dude...

#8 LordBug

LordBug

Apprentice

• Hero
  • 15,755 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:56 PM

Meh, now that I know that the snip can be administered whilst knocked out, I've got nothing to worry about.
Lord of all that which is my life.

#9 TheFrunj

TheFrunj

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 14,169 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:05 PM

As long as it's safe, reversible and has an extremely high effectiveness. It's got to stop millions of swimmers, not just 1 egg.

The research indicates a yes for all three of those. It's going through the approval process in the US too, and their quality requirements are quite stringent. An especially stressed point is that the process doesn't generate accidental births, and that no accidental births have been recorded with birth defects. So on all fronts it seems a winner.

Sounds promising! If any country needs it, it's India.

My thoughts also, overpopulation is starting to become a real problem. Well, it's been a problem for a while, but it's definitely worsening quickly.

EDIT: it would be interesting to see how many blokes would actually take the onus upon themselves, if this comes to fruition,rather than insisting that the woman is the one responsible for the contraception.

I would, I don't want to have to deal with a potential baby before I'm ready :P

*edit* Not that I'd get either process before I'm done with kids, I'd happily take a daily pill or whatnot if it worked.
"TheFrunj doesn't guess, when he forms words with his lips, the world will Warp and change to do his bidding." - Shikimaru No longer writing for Atomic :( http://forums.atomic...showtopic=49899

#10 Laptirp

Laptirp

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 6,272 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:07 PM

Meh, now that I know that the snip can be administered whilst knocked out, I've got nothing to worry about.

^^Herein lies the problem.

Most men expect women to be responsible for contraception.

When it comes to a choice between the 'snip' or tubal ligation, most men would rather their partner has a tubal ligation (which, by necessity, involves a general anaesthetic), rather than a male having a vasectomy (which 99% of the time can be done under a local anaesthetic).

#11 Genisis X

Genisis X

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:26 PM

If it was safe and effective I'd be all for it. There is no fucking way I'd leave the contraception all up to the women. I've known a couple of them now who have mysteriously gotten pregnant after their blokes said they weren't going to marry them. -X
"We were being told that we must become what we are not, sacrificing what we are to inherit the masquerade of what we will be. I was being told to accept the identity that others will give me. And I wondered, what made my dreams so easy to dismiss?" Shane Koyczan

#12 Nich...

Nich...

Initiate

• Mod
  • 41,496 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:33 PM

Tell that to one of my uncles. I think he had to go back in for another, and maybe another, after two more bundles of joy.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#13 Laptirp

Laptirp

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 6,272 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:54 PM

Tell that to one of my uncles. I think he had to go back in for another, and maybe another, after two more bundles of joy.

The doctor obviously didn't know what he was doing.

He's a likely candidate for litigious 'allegations' should your uncle wish to pursue it. (unless he hasn't done so already.)

#14 LordBug

LordBug

Apprentice

• Hero
  • 15,755 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:55 PM

When it comes to a choice between the 'snip' or tubal ligation, most men would rather their partner has a tubal ligation (which, by necessity, involves a general anaesthetic), rather than a male having a vasectomy (which 99% of the time can be done under a local anaesthetic).

Wuh?

How does my post indicate that?

#15 Laptirp

Laptirp

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 6,272 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:57 PM

Wuh?

If you weren't 'knocked out' would you do it?

#16 LordBug

LordBug

Apprentice

• Hero
  • 15,755 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:02 PM

Wuh?

Yes, because even though I have a severe phobia relating to needles and being awake during any form of surgery, I've discussed things with my partner and understand that overall it's better for me to go through the surgery than her. I'd already accepted it before finding out about the option for general.

I'm going to be rude, but you should honest to god ask before you assume. Doing that can be very insulting.

#17 moist

moist

Charge

• Atomican
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:20 PM

I wonder why that is?
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

#18 Laptirp

Laptirp

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 6,272 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:24 PM

Wuh?

Yes, because even though I have a severe phobia relating to needles and being awake during any form of surgery, I've discussed things with my partner and understand that overall it's better for me to go through the surgery than her. I'd already accepted it before finding out about the option for general.

I'm going to be rude, but you should honest to god ask before you assume. Doing that can be very insulting.

I go by your post, that's all I've got.

Your post has assumptions which weren't clarified within. From your post, you seem to make the statement that, unless you were 'knocked out' you wouldn't do it.

Now I know, my apologies for making such assumptions.

Have a nice day.

:)

#19 Nich...

Nich...

Initiate

• Mod
  • 41,496 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:50 AM

The doctor obviously didn't know what he was doing.

He's a likely candidate for litigious 'allegations' should your uncle wish to pursue it. (unless he hasn't done so already.)

Perhaps, but they are probably long beyond the statute of limitations, anyway, now that they are grandparents.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#20 CheekyChops

CheekyChops

Learner

• Hero
  • 17,197 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 02:02 AM

Sounds interesting! I think it would good for Juggs and I, Im just terrible at taking the pill...my shift work hours mess me around so much I always forget to take it, and if I leave the packet at home im screwed since my shift length is so long. Also because of me constantly swapping from day and night shifts, I would have to set alarms to wake up to take the fucking thing. Too hard. Not effective for me and my current work lifestyle. I have considered that injectable rod that goes under the skin in your arm...the name escapes me now. I spoke to my doctor about it and he said that he removes more of them than he puts in, he said alot of people react badly to it and end up having it taken out, and advised me against it. I have tried a few birth control methods now...we just stick to condoms and the withdraw lol. Im amazed in 6 years I havent fallen pregnant yet relying on the most unreliable form of contraception! Im starting to think maybe its me...I know it isnt him, he has a child, his bits work. Must be me, or we are just very good at timing. This would be good for us as we arent ready for kids yet, and its something he can do since I fail at taking pills and cant have that rod in my arm :S
The Gospel According to Chezekiel: I <3 Juggalo Scrub xox Atomic M33t X, Sydney August 21st 2010 - Be there! Winnar of the Atomic Cosplay Comp and Nekkid Comp '07

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users