251 replies to this topic

#1 gabber

gabber

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:27 AM

Heya folks.

In the spirit of Antraman's thread idea, here is my addition to Atomic's photo sub-forum!

Clicky for my Flickr account here

My subject matter has been pretty much limited lately with family, mortgage, small business, life, etc taking all of my time. So I'll hopefully be mixing it up after this batch of photos.

I present; My Precious...

Posted Image
What Lies Ahead by unitTwo, on Flickr

Posted Image
Contemplation by unitTwo, on Flickr

having fun with her Godmother
Posted Image
IMG_7834 by unitTwo, on Flickr

Posted Image
Reflections by unitTwo, on Flickr

All these were taken with the Sigma 30mm f1.4.

Edited by gabber, 11 May 2011 - 10:27 AM.

"In the next century, nations as we know it will be obsolete; all states will recognize a single global authority. National sovereignty wasn't such a great idea after all." Strobe Talbott, 1992

"Oh Lord. Protect this rocket house and all who dwell within the rocket house." Homer Simpson

#2 Antraman

Antraman

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:07 PM

Antraman likes this (photos as well as the continuation of the thread idea) 8-)
Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us...

#3 basketballfreak6

basketballfreak6

Master

• Atomican
  • 795 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:07 PM

cute :D

#4 gabber

gabber

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:14 AM

Thanks peeps. I'm blessed, that's for sure. And with great cuteness comes great responsibility on my (& the wifes') part :p

"In the next century, nations as we know it will be obsolete; all states will recognize a single global authority. National sovereignty wasn't such a great idea after all." Strobe Talbott, 1992

"Oh Lord. Protect this rocket house and all who dwell within the rocket house." Homer Simpson

#5 metasynaptic

metasynaptic

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:02 AM

And now, the quotes... "Damn, the road goes shitloads far that way too..." "Typical. Swan put nothing in the budget for under 3s." "I told you, no whites in with the coloureds. Now here are the pegs, finish hanging out the rest of my nappies." "I think if I stare at this lens long enough, I might juuuuust be able to make is smash."

#6 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:24 PM

Nice work there gabber. You have a little model at your disposal it seems. Most of the ones I take of mine are usually in the middle of them frantically moving.

Disclaimer: this post may have been made via a mobile device. All formatting, grammar and the possible hilarious substitution of key words should be attributed to the autocorrect features of the mobile device and likely has nothing to do with the idiot driving it.

te0p:"Your a Unreal."

#7 gabber

gabber

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 05:42 PM

^ Thanks Tick. She's slowly getting more used to having acamera in her face :) Granted most of the time I try to take photos of her she just can't sit still also. ^

& lolz @ meta. Nice replies.

Went into town to get some bits and pieces today and decided to bring the dslr.

Posted Image
Apothecary by unitTwo, on Flickr

Posted Image
Matte Black M3 by unitTwo, on Flickr

Posted Image
Robot by unitTwo, on Flickr

Posted Image
Holy Ferrari Batman by unitTwo, on Flickr

Posted Image
Mannequin by unitTwo, on Flickr

#8 Antraman

Antraman

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:15 PM

Goddam that mannequin is lifelike. I could take that home....8-) I get the feeling these are all a bit overexposed Gabb, And the Apothecary one if you had a polarising filter, it would get rid of some of the window reflection, making inside a bit more clearer... Is this Melb btw?
Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us...

#9 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Master

• Atomican
  • 757 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:29 PM

Goddam that mannequin is lifelike. I could take that home....8-)

I get the feeling these are all a bit overexposed Gabb, And the Apothecary one if you had a polarising filter, it would get rid of some of the window reflection, making inside a bit more clearer...

Is this Melb btw?

SA plated Ferrari, Melbourne?, more likely Adelaide I'd think although the tram lines do suggest Melbourne. A polariser would help on the Mannequin as well! definitely thh...
Stupidity is a condition, ignorance is a choice, don't make it... MandoTiM Asus P6T, Intel i-7 920, 24Gb mem, 3 Tb storage (after mirroring), silent Geforce 9600, Asus HD 5450 Silent, RME Multiface, NEC 27inch screen wide gamut, PS5 and Cubase 6 under Windows 7.

#10 Antraman

Antraman

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:05 AM

Goddam that mannequin is lifelike. I could take that home....8-)

I get the feeling these are all a bit overexposed Gabb, And the Apothecary one if you had a polarising filter, it would get rid of some of the window reflection, making inside a bit more clearer...

Is this Melb btw?

SA plated Ferrari, Melbourne?, more likely Adelaide I'd think although the tram lines do suggest Melbourne. A polariser would help on the Mannequin as well! definitely thh...

Yeah you're right..I hadn't noticed the plates, though an SA car could have been in Melb at the time of the pic., and basketballfreak was in Melbourne last week so fair question...however I did a search on Apothecary 1878 and it is in Adelaide, so thar ya go...

Edited by Antraman, 15 May 2011 - 12:07 AM.

#11 gabber

gabber

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:59 AM

Apart from the blown sky in the Ferrari pic, they look fine on my iMac (histograms in LR don't show much, if any highlight clipping). It isn't calibrated yet though, so that's something I'm sure. I'll also be getting a 2 or 3 stop nd filter for the 30mm in the near(ish) future. But that means less money going in the kitty for my Canon 5D classic I want to get =\

#12 Antraman

Antraman

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:57 AM

See, this is the interesting thing. I calibrated my monitor with a Spyder2Pro and the end result to my eye was way too bright, so I turned brightness down to what I consider more acceptable. See the thread on the ASUS VE278Q opinions in Audio and Display section.

I'm still trying to find a balance on my monitor that has some semblance to reality, as I want to start printing some of my pics soon.

How many grey circles in the black image do you see here?
Posted Image

#13 gabber

gabber

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:04 PM

I see three circles. Although the third from the right is very dark.

#14 Antraman

Antraman

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:50 PM

OK, well it seems your monitor is showing what its supposed to be showing, according to the Wikimedia Commons article on color management. I'm seeing all 4 and I have my brightness turned down to 0 on my monitor. The far left one is very dark for me as well, but discernible.

#15 basketballfreak6

basketballfreak6

Master

• Atomican
  • 795 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:59 PM

and basketballfreak was in Melbourne last week so fair question

and i miss it so much already *sigh*

and damn that mannequin is a bit TOO life like, you sure it wasn't just a model standing there Gabber lol

and Antraman how is the spyder2pro? i am seriously wanting to get a new monitor (looking at the dell u2711) the colours on an IPS panel just too irresistable and also getting a calibrator too (heard lacie one supposed to be pretty good too)

Edited by basketballfreak6, 16 May 2011 - 09:00 PM.

#16 Antraman

Antraman

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:41 PM

Calibration with the Spyder2 was pretty easy, you had to install their software then attach the colorimeter and it did most of the work. You had to click a few buttons during the process to confirm stuff. I am not yet 100% it was a good calibration, given that I think my brightness is out of whack. I borrowed it from a friend to do the calibration, so didn't get a lot of time to play around with it.....

#17 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Master

• Atomican
  • 757 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:11 PM

Calibration with the Spyder2 was pretty easy, you had to install their software then attach the colorimeter and it did most of the work. You had to click a few buttons during the process to confirm stuff.

I am not yet 100% it was a good calibration, given that I think my brightness is out of whack. I borrowed it from a friend to do the calibration, so didn't get a lot of time to play around with it.....

Hmm, calibrated NEC PA271W shows 4 circles. And I've spent much time trying to get the print/screen match right (now pretty close). Use a Colormunki which I'm happy with although before I had this NEC I was using an old Mitsubishi 17inch which was good but was still showing much lighter than print. I tested the Colormunki with a set of color swatches and I was surprised how close to the real colours it was, so that wasn't the issue. Currently monitor is calibrated to 5500K, 110 cd/m2, and a contrast ratio of 500:1.
Stupidity is a condition, ignorance is a choice, don't make it... MandoTiM Asus P6T, Intel i-7 920, 24Gb mem, 3 Tb storage (after mirroring), silent Geforce 9600, Asus HD 5450 Silent, RME Multiface, NEC 27inch screen wide gamut, PS5 and Cubase 6 under Windows 7.

#18 Antraman

Antraman

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:55 PM

I think if you're seeing 4 circles, you must be in a low lit room? So your screen seems brighter. I noticed i could see the 4th circle once the evening wore on before I turned some lights on. I think the calibration must be good for if you are in a well lit room... Print is the final test...it doesn't matter how much out your screen or PC is, as long as print matches the subject...

#19 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Master

• Atomican
  • 757 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:35 PM

I think if you're seeing 4 circles, you must be in a low lit room? So your screen seems brighter. I noticed i could see the 4th circle once the evening wore on before I turned some lights on. I think the calibration must be good for if you are in a well lit room...

Print is the final test...it doesn't matter how much out your screen or PC is, as long as print matches the subject...

I suspect it also depends on the quality of the screen and in the bit depth displayed. A good quality screen should show a 1 bit change in black values whereas a cheaper 'normal' one may not and this is true the greater the bit depth that is being displayed by the card. To be honest I haven't yet forked out for a 14-bit hdmi card, I should but haven't despite the screen.

#20 gabber

gabber

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:26 PM

So I thought 'fuck it, I'll give one of those 365 Projects a go'.

Posted Image
Day 1 R2D2 by unitTwo, on Flickr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users