• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 UserInterface

UserInterface

Charge

• Atomican
  • 433 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:08 AM

I have just installed Ubuntu 11.04 on my hyper v box and am planning on running it through rdp on my laptop. My issue at the moment is that the screen resoultion is off and I have to scroll to see the bottom of the screen. Can anyone tell me how to adjust the resoultion? I was hopeing that if I ran it through RDP I could run it full screen and have it fit accordingly.

#2 Redhatter

Redhatter

Guru

• Hero
  • 9,300 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:55 AM

Not sure what sort of system a "Hyper V" is... however I've booted up a machine into Ubuntu 11.04 (off the LiveCD) to investigate.

System → Preferences → Monitor doesn't help you?

Mind you, if your sole intention is for remote access... why not use XDMCP?

Install the openssh-server package (sudo apt-get install openssh-server), then...
On your other system, start a X server window (on Windows, use Xming, or on MacOS X, Xquartz and Xephyr)... then use SSH to connect to the remote host and forward your X server socket across:

$ DISPLAY=:1.0 ssh -Y user@otherhost.otherdomain gnome-session --session=ubuntu

Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL) I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on a tape somewhere...

No longer active on these forums, see http://stuartl.longlandclan.yi.org/ for contact details.

#3 UserInterface

UserInterface

Charge

• Atomican
  • 433 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:15 AM

Not sure what sort of system a "Hyper V" is... however I've booted up a machine into Ubuntu 11.04 (off the LiveCD) to investigate.

System → Preferences → Monitor doesn't help you?

Mind you, if your sole intention is for remote access... why not use XDMCP?

Install the openssh-server package (sudo apt-get install openssh-server), then...
On your other system, start a X server window (on Windows, use Xming, or on MacOS X, Xquartz and Xephyr)... then use SSH to connect to the remote host and forward your X server socket across:

$ DISPLAY=:1.0 ssh -Y user@otherhost.otherdomain gnome-session --session=ubuntu

Monitors does not have my resolution in there, I need 1280x800 and it only has options below.
800x600
1024x768
1152x864

Hyper v is a windows vertulising software.

Edited by UserInterface, 26 June 2011 - 11:22 AM.

#4 Redhatter

Redhatter

Guru

• Hero
  • 9,300 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:36 AM

Right... so a virtual machine... skip the middle man and just use XDMCP then. Pretty sure it'll outperform anything RDP can do given all RDP sees in this case is a fairly plain framebuffer.

It doesn't give you the choice because the VM tells Ubuntu complete bunkum about the actual size of the display. It is being told by the emulated video card that the screen is a 4:3 aspect ratio, and clearly this isn't the case.

My suggestion would be to not bother setting up the display resolution... use it if you have to in order to troubleshoot problems. Once the VM is on the network, you should be able to connect to it remotely and access a desktop over the network. A quick search suggests there is an RDP server available in Ubuntu repositories:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/xrdp

david@laptop:~$ apt-cache search xrdp
xrdp - Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) server

Should be installable by typing: sudo apt-get install xrdp.

Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL) I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on a tape somewhere...

No longer active on these forums, see http://stuartl.longlandclan.yi.org/ for contact details.

#5 UserInterface

UserInterface

Charge

• Atomican
  • 433 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:42 PM

Right... so a virtual machine... skip the middle man and just use XDMCP then. Pretty sure it'll outperform anything RDP can do given all RDP sees in this case is a fairly plain framebuffer.

It doesn't give you the choice because the VM tells Ubuntu complete bunkum about the actual size of the display. It is being told by the emulated video card that the screen is a 4:3 aspect ratio, and clearly this isn't the case.

My suggestion would be to not bother setting up the display resolution... use it if you have to in order to troubleshoot problems. Once the VM is on the network, you should be able to connect to it remotely and access a desktop over the network. A quick search suggests there is an RDP server available in Ubuntu repositories:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/xrdp

david@laptop:~$ apt-cache search xrdp
xrdp - Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) server

Should be installable by typing: sudo apt-get install xrdp.

So I have followed you steps but now have the same issue inside of a RDP window.

The console of the Virtual machine run's in full screen but with the scrolling issue.
Windows RDP connects just fine and this is what I was after but there is no way to make it full screen, and even if I stretch the window out to fill my desktop I am missing the bottom.

This is my first run on linux so excuse me if I have no idea what I am talking about but can I just install another driver inside the vm that will give me the option that I am after.
or this is most likely impossible, but is there a way to overwrite the given options with a manual one?

#6 Redhatter

Redhatter

Guru

• Hero
  • 9,300 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:53 PM

Not being familiar with Ubuntu's internals, I'm not sure... in fact... I'm pretty certain Ubuntu's tool is simply offering what X.org offers. X.org is going on what the driver is telling it...and the driver is going by what the "video card" is telling it having probed the "monitor" using DDC.
i.e. when connecting to the HyperV host itself, all signs point back to HyperV. So the place to override any settings will be within HyperV itself.

RDP I'm pretty certain again, the client announces to the server what resolution and bit depth it wants. So when you connect to the Xrdp server running on the VM... it should be setting things up according to the dimensions your client asked for.

In the interests of science, I used my father's laptop (only Ubuntu machine in the house) to test this hypothesis. When I tell KRDC on my MacBook to connect at a resolution of 640480, it did so. This screenshot shows the KRDC connection dialogue with the settings I requested, and I think you'll find if you measure the size of the viewing area (I have not scaled these images), it is indeed the resolution requested.

I then picked an obscure resolution... 987654. Once again, Xrdp complied without a second thought.

My only conclusions are... either you're connecting to the RDP server built into HyperV, which is telling Ubuntu that it only supports the three resolutions you mention... or, you're asking your RDP client to use one of those resolutions when you connect to Xrdp running on the VM... ergo, telling your RDP client to run the same resolution as your desktop display should yield the full-screen display you're seeking.

#7 UserInterface

UserInterface

Charge

• Atomican
  • 433 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:52 PM

OK, I am going to have a biit of a play over the next week, if I can not get it working the way I want i might just bite the bullet and install it on my laptop.. thanks for your help.

#8 mudg3

mudg3

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,053 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:57 PM

I unfortunatly have only played with Hyper V for a short period of time. But isnt there somthing simlar in Hyper -v like there is for Vmware's vmware tools?

Edited by mudg3, 29 June 2011 - 01:57 PM.

3930K ||Corsair H110 || ASUS Rampage IV ||16GB Corsair Vengence DDR3@1877mhz||ATI 7970||250gb Samsung 840||2x4tb||DELL2711||Corsair 650D|| ASUS Essence STX ||Audio Engine A2's||Aiaiai:TMA-1||Enermax 1050w|| Atomics resident filth

#9 UserInterface

UserInterface

Charge

• Atomican
  • 433 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:26 PM

I unfortunatly have only played with Hyper V for a short period of time. But isnt there somthing simlar in Hyper -v like there is for Vmware's vmware tools?

Yes, but only seems to install into windows.. stoopid hyper v..

#10 Redhatter

Redhatter

Guru

• Hero
  • 9,300 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:34 PM

Being a Microsoft product, are you surprised?

#11 UserInterface

UserInterface

Charge

• Atomican
  • 433 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:37 PM

Being a Microsoft product, are you surprised?

No, not really. I will put VM ware on it later, but for now am doing my mcitp and thought it better to use hyper V for the time being..

#12 Redhatter

Redhatter

Guru

• Hero
  • 9,300 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:30 PM

To their credit, Microsoft did write some drivers for running Linux under Hyper V. I'm not sure if this extended to X11 drivers that'd allow dynamic resolutions though.

They however didn't stick around to maintain it, and hence they were soon removed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users