Photo

firefox rendering .png's differently than other browsers...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 GTAV6

GTAV6

Champion

• Hero
  • 6,587 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:37 AM

is it just my computer, or does ff always render .png files darker than other browsers? it's really irritating me! could it be something i'm doing wrong when i create the .png files? (like creating a new graphic from scratch as opposed to rehashing an existing file, for example)
if i change all the graphic components to .gif's, everything looks identical right across all the browsers, so it's only .png's that are affected.

to see what i mean, the site i'm working on right now (linky), looks like it has a black overlay in ff, whereas in opera, ie and chrome, it looks exactly like i intend it to.

and slightly off topic, i notice chrome messes up the text when 'text-shadow' is used - bordering on illegible...

Attention: This post does not possess a brain - Please use your own.

http://www.thexman.net.nz/

#2 Redhatter

Redhatter

Guru

• Hero
  • 9,300 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:12 PM

Black overlay? Where?

Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL) I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on a tape somewhere...

No longer active on these forums, see http://stuartl.longlandclan.yi.org/ for contact details.

#3 GTAV6

GTAV6

Champion

• Hero
  • 6,587 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 01:08 PM

interesting... your screenshot is fine. [edit] sorry, i should have said; a translucent black overlay.
here's what i see:
Posted Image
(ff in the foreground, opera beneath)

Edited by GTAV6, 03 July 2011 - 01:11 PM.

#4 Redhatter

Redhatter

Guru

• Hero
  • 9,300 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 02:54 PM

Ahh, I see it now… not on any of my systems, but I notice in that screenshot of yours, the images in Firefox are noticably darker than in Opera. I'm not seeing this phenomena on Linux. My MacBook is doing a backup to an external HDD, so I'd rather not disturb it just now, otherwise I'd check there too. The screenshot I posted was Firefox 4 on Linux. I'm just looking on Firefox 5 (also under Linux) and not seeing the bug. I could reboot into Windows XP to check there, but there are things I must do in Linux, and I can't be arsed either.

Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL) I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on a tape somewhere...

No longer active on these forums, see http://stuartl.longlandclan.yi.org/ for contact details.

#5 Brock

Brock

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:33 PM

Could this have something to do with it?

It's showing up slightly darker for me... ever so slightly.

The article is a few years old now but it could still be the case in the more recent versions of FF. There is a solution toward the bottom.

#6 GTAV6

GTAV6

Champion

• Hero
  • 6,587 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:23 AM

i think you're onto something there, Brock. it looks like that's pretty much my problem, in which case i'll either have to just accept it, or go back to using .gif's again (not going to happen, if i can help it). one thing's for certain, you can't get away with mixing image formats anymore...

#7 Redhatter

Redhatter

Guru

• Hero
  • 9,300 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:26 AM

So long as it looks consistent within the browser, and is functional, who cares? Most people aren't going to browse your site with two different browsers on the same computer simultaneously, and go "Ohh look, that one's darker!"

#8 Brock

Brock

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:15 PM

So long as it looks consistent within the browser, and is functional, who cares? Most people aren't going to browse your site with two different browsers on the same computer simultaneously, and go "Ohh look, that one's darker!"

True.

It seems their intention was to render PNG's 'richer', and I think that image in my link illustrates that - for full colour/vibrant images it would look nicer - while it looks like it's got a black screen over the top of it, if you're viewing it on a site alone it should have a lot more depth. With your site, though, it renders the white crosshatching a bit too dark, hard to make out what it is. Hey, some people might care. :P

That said, it should be up to the designer as to which colour profile to use, not have a browser decide that for them :/

#9 SledgY

SledgY

Master

• Atomican
  • 917 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:08 PM

Brock is hinting at the problem, your issue is that your png has a colour profile, gamma or chromacity metadata (Photoshop does this by default), I use GIMP as when you save the image you can tell it not to save the additional metadata. The other option is to use pngstrip to remove the extra metadata.

The other common problem is when colours don't match up with CSS colours etc.
poweredbypenguins.org - SledgY lives in the cloud...

#10 Brock

Brock

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:53 PM

I believe you can save it out of photoshop without any colour management on it, not entirely sure thought but just had a look, have not tested. Save for Web & Devices -> Preview: Internet Standard RGB (No Color Management) / Metadata: None. Should save it out in similar fashion to GIMP yeah?

#11 GTAV6

GTAV6

Champion

• Hero
  • 6,587 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:27 PM

intriguing...
i use paint.net - but i've yet to even achieve 'amateur' status where graphics are concerned *sigh* :o(
however, i'm guessing paint.net very likely offer the same (or at least similar), options for .png's. i shall have to look into that. might have fiddle with pngstrip, too, see which way it swings things for me.

however! herein lies the crux of the whole matter:

:o)

#12 SledgY

SledgY

Master

• Atomican
  • 917 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:11 AM

If all you are displaying is a picture this might be true but that is not the only use case if for example you have a border or banner that uses a PNG image and as well as a CSS defined border, you want the colours to match.
poweredbypenguins.org - SledgY lives in the cloud...

#13 harhis23

harhis23

Charge

• Atomican
  • 365 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:22 AM

It's just an image, the dark overlay may even appear as a design. As long as it does not mess up with your site's dimensions, don't change anything. Have you tried updating your firefox? Your site looks fine on my firefox.. Haven't encountered this problem before, anyway.

#14 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:10 AM

Yes, for some reason PNG files display darker on Firefox than say IE. I spend a lot of effort fluffing around with PNG avatars for forums and it's always looks blurrier and dark with Firefox.
Resident KatyCat Smartphone: HTC Trophy T8686 - WP 7.10.8107.79 (aka Mango updated) Netbook: ASUS EEE PC 1015PN - Win7 Pro, Intel N550@1.5Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB WD SATA, nVidia ION2 Laptop: Win8 Home x64, Intel i5-430 @ 2.26Ghz, 4GB RAM, 240GB Corsair SSD, nVidia Geforce GT310 1GB Work PC: Win7 Pro x86, Intel Q9550@2.83Ghz, 4GB RAM, 2 x 250GB SATA, nVidia Quadro FX1700, 600W PSU

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users