Master

• Atomican
  • 757 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:23 PM

three shots from the weekend,

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

perhaps the last is a little dark but I like the mood, taken against the sun but with minimal post processing (ie vibrance and saturation and some high point recovery).
Stupidity is a condition, ignorance is a choice, don't make it... MandoTiM Asus P6T, Intel i-7 920, 24Gb mem, 3 Tb storage (after mirroring), silent Geforce 9600, Asus HD 5450 Silent, RME Multiface, NEC 27inch screen wide gamut, PS5 and Cubase 6 under Windows 7.

#2 Antraman

Antraman

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:07 PM

Hey man, glad you could join the trend. The 2n one, with a bit of closer cropping and maybe some saturation and playing around in Lightroom or similar, would make an awesome detail shot. The 3rd one I don't think is too dark at all...it adds a certain mood to the scene, which I think would otherwise be fairly non-descript. EDIT: Oh yeah, what camera and settings did you use for these?

Edited by Antraman, 25 July 2011 - 11:09 PM.

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us...

#3 gabber

gabber

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:16 AM

I don't normally like the beach but your photos make it look like a nice and relaxing place to be ;p I like the compositions of #1 and 3. Also agree on tighter crop for #2. It's good to see these threads coming along. The more the merrier!!1

"In the next century, nations as we know it will be obsolete; all states will recognize a single global authority. National sovereignty wasn't such a great idea after all." Strobe Talbott, 1992

"Oh Lord. Protect this rocket house and all who dwell within the rocket house." Homer Simpson

#4 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Master

• Atomican
  • 757 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:32 PM

Thanks, all. No, I'm not a great beach shot guy either... Nothing like a Monday on the beach. Interesting comment on 2, I'd already cropped a fair amount off the sides and I was trying to retain some non-central positioning on it. Do need to use sharpening though Antraman - Nikon D200, 18-70mm zoom, shot 1, 37mm, f8, 1/500s shot 2, 70mm, f8, 1/500s shot 3, 18mm, f9, 1/500s Auto colour balance,

Edited by MandoTiM, 26 July 2011 - 08:32 PM.

Stupidity is a condition, ignorance is a choice, don't make it... MandoTiM Asus P6T, Intel i-7 920, 24Gb mem, 3 Tb storage (after mirroring), silent Geforce 9600, Asus HD 5450 Silent, RME Multiface, NEC 27inch screen wide gamut, PS5 and Cubase 6 under Windows 7.

#5 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Master

• Atomican
  • 757 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:14 AM

Firstly now that we have a number of threads with users photos in them can we ask for that sticky again with links to each of the threads?

now for a couple of shots taken today, on holiday, slightly modified in CS4

Posted Image

and

Posted Image

hmm, I'd have to say they look a bit washed out on a webpage and that's after some added saturation and vibrance...

#6 Antraman

Antraman

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:00 AM

That place look idyllic...where is is? Your compositions on both those shots I think is good, a lot of interest there. I think there could be a bit more dark in them though, to add some contrast and give them depth...maybe thats whats causing the washed out look you mentioned. Like in the 2nd one, the sky is white....maybe if you lower the exposure a bit, the add contrast. I don't know if its my tired eyes in the morning or my monitor or what, but they seem a little out of focus...
Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us...

#7 Genisis X

Genisis X

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,951 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:17 PM

I don't know if its my tired eyes in the morning or my monitor or what, but they seem a little out of focus...

I think its a bit of camera shake + motion blur. Or it might be my hung over as fuck eyes. One can never tell ;)

I always find it difficult to shoot architecture when its overcast. The light is usually flat and horrible. I think that's the main reason for them being washed out.

And yea, where is that place?

-X
"We were being told that we must become what we are not, sacrificing what we are to inherit the masquerade of what we will be. I was being told to accept the identity that others will give me. And I wondered, what made my dreams so easy to dismiss?" Shane Koyczan

#8 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Master

• Atomican
  • 757 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:53 PM

I don't know if its my tired eyes in the morning or my monitor or what, but they seem a little out of focus...

I think its a bit of camera shake + motion blur. Or it might be my hung over as fuck eyes. One can never tell ;)

I always find it difficult to shoot architecture when its overcast. The light is usually flat and horrible. I think that's the main reason for them being washed out.

And yea, where is that place?

-X

Could be slighlty blurry, shouldn't be camera shake, although I didn't check, I had reduced the size of the JPGs to post so this may have had an impact. [Just checked the NEF and JPG and it looks like it's the size reduction, the NEF looks reasonably crisp, nothing some sharpness can't improve] It has been overcast with the sky needing much faster exposure to get any texture and the rest quite slow or open aperture (depending on the depth of field). First one 1/160th, ISO400, f4.5, second 1/60th, ISO200, f7/1 (needed the dof, perhaps I should have used a higher ISO but try to change this to keep the exposure around 1/200th). Admit second is probably slightly shaky, might have been the huge meal I ate just beforehand, I can't believe the locals are so thin if they eat like this all the time, perhaps it's the hills.

The place is St-Cirq-Lapopie in the Lot region of France, one of 'France's most beautiful villages'. Staying around here for a week then off to the Auvergne. I'll try to post some of the more interesting shot's but with the current weather may not be frequent (it's now overcast with a low cloud base). Wherever possible I have been taking second shots of the sky to use later in P/S to get some depth and texture, I think this is the only way given the lack of obvious texture in the light. Perhaps others can shed light on other technique's in heavily overcast weather?

One thing I am doing is trying to get large area shots with more detail by pasting together smaller individual shots at higher focal length in P/S but the actual pasting will need to wait as the portable just doesn't have the power that the desktop has and with 20 or so shots in each 'frame'... Worked really well on some old chateaux we saw on the last trip. Now going to try this as a more general technique on some landscapes but not panoramas, the first shot is from one of these multi-shot frames. Do have a panorama attachment that I will use later (weather permitting) but have found that hand held shots are as good for these frames.

Edited by MandoTiM, 12 September 2011 - 04:01 PM.

#9 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Master

• Atomican
  • 757 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:10 AM

a.n.other. This time a cathedral in Villefranche de Rouerguez on the Aveyron, France. See how this shows on the net, again slight enhancement of vibrance and saturation. Sky clearly affected by Polariser. This time I've posted a link to the full picture.

Posted Image

#10 Genisis X

Genisis X

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,951 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 06:39 PM

That one's a winner. I like! -X
"We were being told that we must become what we are not, sacrificing what we are to inherit the masquerade of what we will be. I was being told to accept the identity that others will give me. And I wondered, what made my dreams so easy to dismiss?" Shane Koyczan

#11 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Master

• Atomican
  • 757 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 05:51 AM

That one's a winner. I like!

-X

Praise indeed...
I'll try to keep posting some of the more interesting piccies I take during the next 4 weeks wanderings...

#12 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Master

• Atomican
  • 757 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:48 AM

This time the shots are taken in the Auvergne, just north of Le Puy-en-Velay, probably my favourite location in France. The first one is of the village of Roche-en-Regnier, or at least the roof tops of, taken from the tower on the hill above the village. The hill is a Puy or old basalt plug from the volcanics around the area, here only slightly eroded where in Le Puy they are like the basalt plugs in Clermont, Qld (named after the town of Clermont-Ferrand here) or Le Puy here.

Posted Image

and the second of the village of Chalencon nearby,
Posted Image

hope you like...

Edited by MandoTiM, 21 September 2011 - 04:48 AM.

#13 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Master

• Atomican
  • 757 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:03 AM

so why has the automatic graphic shrinker started working?

#14 Genisis X

Genisis X

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,951 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:19 PM

so why has the automatic graphic shrinker started working?

That thing is not bound by logic. I have NFI what is up with it. Maybe it was never hugged as a child or something.

-X

#15 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Master

• Atomican
  • 757 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:25 AM

A few more, having been away from a decent i-net connection they have built up so only the better ones (I think). I'll try to add what they are of as well as I go. All pics below are small JPGs linked to larger screen sized ones - all reduced from original dimensions.

Posted Image
Our last view of the Auvergne region of France as we were leaving in the morning, one of those magical moments when one just happened to have the camera in the car at the right time.
D200, 3 shots merged, each f7.1, 1/400th, ISO 100, 18-70mm @ 70mm

Posted Image
"Our Lady of Notre Dame" at Le Puy-en-Velay
D200, 18-70mm @ 70mm, f7.1, 1/160th, ISO 100

Posted Image
Villedieu, Provence
D200, 18-70mm @ 70mm, f8, 1/320th, ISO 400

Posted Image
Grapevines near Villedieu, Provence
D200, 18-70mm @ 62mm, f8, 1/320th, ISO 400

Posted Image
Montbrun-les-Bains, Provence
D200, 18-70mm @ 24mm, f5, 1/400th, ISO 100

Posted Image
Some may recognise this if you watch the Tour-de-France on a regular basis..
Mt Ventoux from the first corner of the road at which the summit is visible on the way up. Looks like snow but is just barren limestone rock.
D200, 18-70mm @ 70mm, f5, 1/250th, ISO 100

Posted Image
A valley in the Cevennes to the west of Nimes, the leaves were just starting to show signs of colour but unfortunately there was rather a lot of heat haze around.
D200, 18-70mm @ 70mm, f7.1, 1/500th, ISO 800

Posted Image
Tour St Jacques, Paris, 4th Arrondissement...
D200, Sigma 10-20mm @ 20mm, f5, 1/400th, ISO 400

Posted Image
...and from closer up.
D200, Sigma 10-20mm @ 20mm, f5, 1/200th, ISO 400

Posted Image
the Notre Dame, itself, Paris, Ile de France.
D200, Sigma 10-20mm @ 12mm, f7.1, 1/320th, ISO 400

and the last will need to wait as the system won't let me post it in this message

enjoy...

(don't know why the last link didn't work)

#16 Genisis X

Genisis X

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,951 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:25 PM

Awesome. I like the second last one and the one of Villedieu. Great composition. -X

#17 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Master

• Atomican
  • 757 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:58 PM

thanks.
and the last for now...
Posted Image
The ubiquitous Seine with one of the thousands of tourist craft. Not sure I have seen anywhere with so many tourists even in October but the weather is fantastic at the moment as the photos show and it was a Sunday. Perhaps more on the French later but it would be off topic and mre likely to turn up elsewhere...
D200, Sigma 10-20mm @ 19mm, f7.1 , 1/160, ISO 400.

#18 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Master

• Atomican
  • 757 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 05:09 PM

Not normally one of my usual shots but I was asked by the wife to take a photo of some flowers she was given on Sat evening for arranging the music for a Ball. Looks ok to me, a bit of sharpening and colour adjustment and this was the result

Posted Image
D200 + SB600 flash, f11, 1/4 sec, 18-70mm zoom at 35mm.

Colour is a bit pink here on the website, the background is a sort of yellowy beige but on my screen the colours are reasonably accurate. Had all sorts of problems getting the flash to work, eventually had to do the shot on automatic set to f11, used tripod for the camera and hand held the flash above the camera. This seemed to work well, I do need to get some practise using the flash with different sorts of subjets particularly using Commander mode. I also have a few spare (old) flashes that I would like to get back into use (an Olympus and a Sunpack) but need flash slave brackets for them.

#19 Cummings

Cummings

Champion

• Hero
  • 7,179 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:16 PM

Good colours both taken by the camera and chosen by the florist. I'd like to see either a zoomed in view emphasizing a pink flower and shadow, or a zoomed out view (rule of thirds) with a more complex bokeh background. Getting the pink flower on the right unobstructed would be good.

Posted Image Posted Image

Edit: Your original looks nicer in high res :)

Edited by Cummings, 30 October 2011 - 09:22 PM.

"It was not the person that locked up his invention in his scrutoire that ought to profit by a patent for such an invention, but he who brought it forth for the benefit of the public." - William Murray (Lord Mansfield) New Rule: If you have to think about RTMing something, then you don't need to RTM it.

#20 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Master

• Atomican
  • 757 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:03 AM

Good colours both taken by the camera and chosen by the florist. I'd like to see either a zoomed in view emphasizing a pink flower and shadow, or a zoomed out view (rule of thirds) with a more complex bokeh background. Getting the pink flower on the right unobstructed would be good.

Edit: Your original looks nicer in high res :)

interesting comment on complex background, I specifically took it on the plain background for the effect and clarity.

The unJPGed file looks even better... Still I'm happy with the final result given my usual subjects being landscapes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users