• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#21 Cummings

Cummings

Journeyman

• Hero
  • 7,179 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:43 PM

The high res looks good with the plain background, so I withdraw that suggestion :)
"It was not the person that locked up his invention in his scrutoire that ought to profit by a patent for such an invention, but he who brought it forth for the benefit of the public." - William Murray (Lord Mansfield) New Rule: If you have to think about RTMing something, then you don't need to RTM it.

#22 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 749 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 03:00 PM

Been playing around with HDR on some holiday shots taken in Sep/Oct. Think I'm getting the hang of it but still not sure. These are all RAW shots processed in CS4, saved as 16 bit tiffs then turned into 8 bit jpgs and saved. Each thumbnail below should gave a fullish sized (but not full sized) photo behind it. Hopefully the links will all work and happy to have criticisms posted or suggestions.

3 Night shots of the Notre Dame in Paris.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A beautiful small church in St Andre de Chalencon in the Auvergne with a spectacularly blue window behind the altar.
Posted Image

3 inside shots of the St Severin church in the 5th Arondissement in Paris.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

some more to come...

Edited by MandoTiM, 19 November 2011 - 03:07 PM.

Stupidity is a condition, ignorance is a choice, don't make it... MandoTiM Asus P6T, Intel i-7 920, 24Gb mem, 3 Tb storage (after mirroring), silent Geforce 9600, Asus HD 5450 Silent, RME Multiface, NEC 27inch screen wide gamut, PS5 and Cubase 6 under Windows 7.

#23 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 749 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:08 PM

...and the balance

3 shots inside the Le Puy Cathedral, not sure of these, couldn't quite get the effect I was after.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

One of the larger churches in Figeac,
Posted Image

and a smaller more interesting Roman church in the city of Clermont Ferrand, not the main cathedral, which is interesting but very black.
Posted Image
Stupidity is a condition, ignorance is a choice, don't make it... MandoTiM Asus P6T, Intel i-7 920, 24Gb mem, 3 Tb storage (after mirroring), silent Geforce 9600, Asus HD 5450 Silent, RME Multiface, NEC 27inch screen wide gamut, PS5 and Cubase 6 under Windows 7.

#24 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 749 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:23 AM

Up on the Sunshine Coast this weekend, wasn't terribly sunny on the Saturday but improved on Xmas day. Tropical Low off the coast and king tides combined to see some great waves and high tides, the following couple of showing just how high the water went. Those that know the coast will wonder why the hinterland wasn't flooded...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

(sorry, on my portable without proper image manipulation so I haven't used thumbnails and the site's automatic image thingy doesn't seem to be working...)
finally edited 5th August, 2012, now have to create the thumbnails...

Edited by MandoTiM, 05 August 2012 - 09:37 AM.

#25 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 749 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:06 PM

A couple of shots from the last few seconds of today's Tour Down Under (Stage 5) at the top of Wilunga Hill. Fortunate enough to get there again this year and these are (I think) the best of them in a sequence as the first 2 fight it out over the line.

Posted Image[

Posted Image[

Posted Image[

Go Greenedge....

#26 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 749 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:34 PM

A while since I've posted. A few shots taken at this year's National Folk Festival in Canberra, indoors, under stage lighting.
Using a D200 with iso1600+, reasonable shutter speeds but very grainy as one would expect. Have post processed, reduced
luminance noise, cropped and adjusted white balance.

Small thumbnails linked to the original sized shots, note these are ~4Mb in size each.

The Alan Kelly Gang
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Battlefield Band
Posted Image

#27 stadl

stadl

Apprentice

• Super Hero
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:37 PM

Nice shots. Live performance is a pain to shoot, especially if you don't have access to go anywhere you want. crowds to work with, Low light - or bright contrasting spotlights, and the artists are usually moving. I like the last one - and not just because there's a dude with a huge beard playing bagpipes.

A device so simple that it took a mind as brilliant as mine to create it! So brilliant, in fact, that simply by harnessing the power of one live frog, it... it... uhh... <poke> <poke> ... World domination has encountered a momentary setback. Talk amongst yourselves.

#28 Antraman

Antraman

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:31 AM

for 1600 ISO they don't look too bad at all...
Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us...

#29 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 749 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:49 AM

Nice shots. Live performance is a pain to shoot, especially if you don't have access to go anywhere you want.
crowds to work with, Low light - or bright contrasting spotlights, and the artists are usually moving.

I like the last one - and not just because there's a dude with a huge beard playing bagpipes.

One of the advantages of this festival is that access to the area immediately in front of the band is relatively easy.
That said all of these shots are taken either from the side (TBFB) or from the third row, again another advantage of a small(ish) festival, access to good seats is easy.

and Antraman

I did reduce luminance noise which gives the shots a somewhat 'smooth' colour texture which, close-up, looks a little artificial.
Better in the smaller thumbnails. in fact all of the AKG were taken at 3200. No flash was used in any of them.

#30 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 749 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:56 PM

A while since I've posted some shots. These taken over the last week in WA - Fremantle, Cottesloe and the Burrup. I've just taken delivery of a new Nikkor 50mm f1.8, mainly to use with the D800E (when it arrives) but I thought I'd test it out on the D200 first off. Surprised just how sharp the shots were even with the D200, can't wait to test it out on the 800E... All of the these smaller shots link to larger copies.

Fremantle Boat Harbour
Posted Image

Cottesloe Beach
Posted Image

Aboriginal Artefacts on the Burrup
Posted Image

I think this was the Angel Platform or was it Pluto...
Posted Image

Surprised how well the shot of the platform came out given the backlight from the sun and that it was taken from a bumpy 737 flying over the rig.

#31 Antraman

Antraman

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:04 PM

I like the boat one the best, though the rocks one is interesting. I always seem to get headaches when looking at light reflecting on the ocean, so don't really go for that one.
Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us...

#32 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 749 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:41 AM

A couple of posts here, mostly due to the number of shots, again all thumbnails linked to full sized jpgs.

All shots taken at the Maroochydore Botanic Gardens, an odd place, a little off the beaten track and quite possible to miss if you didn't know it existed. Obviously a favourite of the locals as the placed was packed by noon on a normal Saturday, hate to think what is like on a public holiday. Located just west off the Bruce Highway, north of theMaroochydore and south of the Nambour turn-offs. A lovely piece of rainforest surrounded by a much drier environment. All shots Nikon D200, 50mmG f1.8 standard lens. Some cropping, enhanced vibrance and saturation, some modified luminance noise, some sharpening.

Ferns
Posted Image

Posted Image

Grevilleas
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A couple of posts here, mostly due to the number of shots, again all thumbnails linked to full sized jpgs.

All shots taken at the Maroochydore Botanic Gardens, an odd place, a little off the beaten track and quite possible to miss if you didn't know it existed. Obviously a favourite of the locals as the placed was packed by noon on a normal Saturday, hate to think what is like on a public holiday. Located just west off the Bruce Highway, north of theMaroochydore and south of the Nambour turn-offs. A lovely piece of rainforest surrounded by a much drier environment. All shots Nikon D200, 50mmG f1.8 standard lens. Some cropping, enhanced vibrance and saturation, some modified luminance noise, some sharpening.

ARRGH! I've created thumbnails with links to larger files, went back and editied another earlier post that was just showing the larger files to include thumbnails, then saved the edited post and suddenly the post has small postage stamped shots with links to the thumbnails... What is it with these damn thumbnails on the AMPC site?

#33 Antraman

Antraman

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:51 PM

Yeah I've noticed that...editing your post seems to thumbnailise your pics, but then sometime later they will get biigger again.

#34 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 749 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:28 PM

Antraman, they sure did! Back to large ones

A couple of shots from today using the new 70-200mm zoom which I bought primarily for my ordered D800E but which I'm getting used to on the D200. Still waiting, only this week did I realise hey (Nikon) are only making 1 "E" model for every 49 800's, still I want it for landscapes and I think I'm still willing to wait. Hopefully next in line...

Anyway back to the shots
Really trying to get used to the lens and particularly the VR side of it. Both taken at zoom on the beach at Buddina
Posted Image
D200, 70-200mm Nikkor at 160mm, f10, 1/180, ISO-800, taken at dusk, white balance and luminance noise adjusted

Posted Image
D200, 70-200mm Nikkor at 200mm, f4.5, 1/400, ISO-800, taken at dusk, white balance and luminance noise adjusted

#35 basketballfreak6

basketballfreak6

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 778 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:54 PM

A couple of shots from today using the new 70-200mm zoom which I bought primarily for my ordered D800E but which I'm getting used to on the D200. Still waiting, only this week did I realise hey (Nikon) are only making 1 "E" model for every 49 800's, still I want it for landscapes and I think I'm still willing to wait. Hopefully next in line...

Anyway back to the shots
Really trying to get used to the lens and particularly the VR side of it. Both taken at zoom on the beach at Buddina
Posted Image
D200, 70-200mm Nikkor at 160mm, f10, 1/180, ISO-800, taken at dusk, white balance and luminance noise adjusted

Posted Image
D200, 70-200mm Nikkor at 200mm, f4.5, 1/400, ISO-800, taken at dusk, white balance and luminance noise adjusted

nice D800E, time to invest in a 14-24 nikkor too for some landscape goodness ;)

#36 Antraman

Antraman

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:05 AM

Anyway back to the shots
Posted Image

Posted Image

I would post process the f*ck out of these pics...no offense, but they seem a little flat and bland, colour and light wise (big flat areas of mid-toned sky), so I would try different things like amp up the contrast, decrease exposure, or try some atmospheric colouring, grain or vignetting effects. The composition we can't really comment on, because its your choice...you've taken the pics already, the scenes mean something to you and you only, and perhaps someone else who sees the world a similar way to you etc...so that can't be changed. What you CAN change though, is the colour and light, and to a lesser effect the crop.

Bear in mind that for me, taking the pic is half the process...playing around with the image in Lightroom, ie. post-process is the other half of the art...I privately call it light painting....

Edited by Antraman, 28 September 2012 - 12:07 AM.

#37 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 749 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:57 AM

Anyway back to the shots

I would post process the f*ck out of these pics...no offense, but they seem a little flat and bland, colour and light wise (big flat areas of mid-toned sky), so I would try different things like amp up the contrast, decrease exposure, or try some atmospheric colouring, grain or vignetting effects. The composition we can't really comment on, because its your choice...you've taken the pics already, the scenes mean something to you and you only, and perhaps someone else who sees the world a similar way to you etc...so that can't be changed. What you CAN change though, is the colour and light, and to a lesser effect the crop.

Bear in mind that for me, taking the pic is half the process...playing around with the image in Lightroom, ie. post-process is the other half of the art...I privately call it light painting....

Interesting comment, I'd agree with the composition to an extent. But not much you can do with a blank sky except replace it. The original shots were much 'darker' and in a sense atmospheric given they were taken just post sunset but the whites were grey. These shots were colour balance corrected and grain reduced (luminance noise adjusted) for flatness. The main aim, as I noted, was more for 'getting used to the lens', I was surprised just how sharp the shots were when hand held in low light (albeit shot at equiv 800ASA and hence the original grain). Perhaps you'd prefer the originals...

Still it's a brute of a lens but can certainly improve the sharpness of even the D200 as I have found the 50mm f1.8 also does. The original lens I had been using on the camera was an 18-70mm zoom which I have found to be a little 'soft'. Should have bought the lenses earlier...

Edited by MandoTiM, 28 September 2012 - 05:59 AM.

#38 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 749 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

First shots with the D800E and 70-200 zoom

Posted Image
70-200 zoom at 200mm, f8, 1/750th, ISO400, cropped to 2533x1922, minor adjustments in ACR

Posted Image
70-200 zoom at 200mm, f8, 1/750th, ISO400, cropped to 2515x2037, minor adjustments in ACR

#39 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 749 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

and 2 of the better ones from today, small jpg's linked to the complete albeit cropped and slightly adjusted shots. The ubiquitous Lorikeets and if you look carefully on the green feathers the moire the camera is famous for is just visible...
Posted Image
Nikkor 70-200mm at 200mm, f4.8 @ 1/250th, ISO 400

and a Kookaburra just after it dived into our backyard pond for a fish (goldfish).
Posted Image
Nikkor 70-200mm at 200mm, f11 @ 1/180th, ISO 400

I admit to being surprised how sharp the focus is with this combination of lens and camera. Now I have the ability to modify the focus through the camera it doesn't look like I need to adjust it.

#40 Antraman

Antraman

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:53 PM

the Kook is nice...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users