111 replies to this topic

#41 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Master

• Atomican
  • 757 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:32 PM

the Kook is nice...

pretty friendly bird as well, despite him taking all the 'gold'fish (ie those he could see easily).
Stupidity is a condition, ignorance is a choice, don't make it... MandoTiM Asus P6T, Intel i-7 920, 24Gb mem, 3 Tb storage (after mirroring), silent Geforce 9600, Asus HD 5450 Silent, RME Multiface, NEC 27inch screen wide gamut, PS5 and Cubase 6 under Windows 7.

#42 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Master

• Atomican
  • 757 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

Back in Qld. Happened on a surf meet on the beach this morning, a couple of the better shots (IMHO). All the other shots taken are on my website KawanaBoardRiders

Posted Image
D800E 1/1000th f5.6, ISO400 with Nikkor 70-200mm at 200mm

Posted Image

Posted Image

stuffed up the exposure and then had to back off the exposure in Lightroom, do need to get used to this new camera. Fortunately most of the shots haven't come out too badly from the adjustments. Does look as though the dynamic range in the camera is somewhat better than the old one. Very happy with the results.
Stupidity is a condition, ignorance is a choice, don't make it... MandoTiM Asus P6T, Intel i-7 920, 24Gb mem, 3 Tb storage (after mirroring), silent Geforce 9600, Asus HD 5450 Silent, RME Multiface, NEC 27inch screen wide gamut, PS5 and Cubase 6 under Windows 7.

#43 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Master

• Atomican
  • 757 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:39 AM

Had a week in the South of France recently, these are one or two of the nicer shots

A frosty morning on the Rver Lot at Cajarc.
Posted Image

Mist surrounding Cajarc, early December
Posted Image

As above, couldn't decide which was the better shot
Posted Image

Fishing on the Lot,
Posted Image

all linked to the higher res shots.

Edited by MandoTiM, 21 December 2012 - 08:40 AM.

#44 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Master

• Atomican
  • 757 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:41 PM

and a few more local shots of the sunrise this morning...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

not sure whether I should have smoothed out the luminance noise or left them as they are...

#45 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Master

• Atomican
  • 757 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

Some photos from today's Tour Down Under at Willunga Hill. Mostly Simon Gerrans, the winner of today's stage but also one of Stuart O'Grady.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Shame about those in front. Starting to get the hang of the camera/lens (D800E plus 70-200mm f2.8 zoom) but I must learn to take shots with heads near the top of the frame (to get the bottom of the bike).

#46 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Master

• Atomican
  • 757 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

More shots from the National Folk Festival, doesn't seem a year since the last one.

I've tried to pick the 5 best but the balance of the shots are on National 2013.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hmmm, I'm not sure that this is going to work. I'm using a home web server which I've suddenly found needs username/password access
when I access it from my browser here but seems to work from my portable when I access it from outside. I apologise if you can't get in to see the shots,
if that is the case I'll just have to try something else (like post to my normal webpage) but I'm sure I've had access from outside before.

Edited by MandoTiM, 04 April 2013 - 08:24 PM.

#47 Genisis X

Genisis X

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,951 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

I can see them, so I think you're okay. -X
"We were being told that we must become what we are not, sacrificing what we are to inherit the masquerade of what we will be. I was being told to accept the identity that others will give me. And I wondered, what made my dreams so easy to dismiss?" Shane Koyczan

#48 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Master

• Atomican
  • 757 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

I can see them, so I think you're okay.

-X

Funnily enough when I look at the post from my PC at home I get the dialog box for uname/pword but when I look at it from outside the home network (ie using a mobile network card)
it seems to be ok as well, odd.

#49 Antraman

Antraman

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:59 AM

Hey Mando, I been reading about the D800e and how its basically D800 with the anti-aliasing removed. So in theory it should much sharper images though be susceptible to moire. Have you noticed an improvement in image sharpness and have you noticed any moire?

Moire appears because the photosites in the sensor are arranged in a geometric pattern, and when the subject also has a fine pattern in it, the interferences caused by the 2 clashing makes a secondary pattern in the final image

Posted Image

I heard Lightroom has correction for Moire. I can't check that coz I am at work atm....but was also wondering...would a polarising filter help reduce moire if it was present on an image?
Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us...

#50 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Master

• Atomican
  • 757 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:16 PM

Hey Mando, I been reading about the D800e and how its basically D800 with the anti-aliasing removed. So in theory it should much sharper images though be susceptible to moire. Have you noticed an improvement in image sharpness and have you noticed any moire?

Moire appears because the photosites in the sensor are arranged in a geometric pattern, and when the subject also has a fine pattern in it, the interferences caused by the 2 clashing makes a secondary pattern in the final image

Posted Image

I heard Lightroom has correction for Moire. I can't check that coz I am at work atm....but was also wondering...would a polarising filter help reduce moire if it was present on an image?

Yes the D800E is the same as the D800 but with filter removed. The answer on sharpness is a little difficult to determine given I only have the D800E - to be accurate I think you might need to do a true direct comparison between the 2 cameras on the same scene and compare them. (wish I could afford to) From what I have heard most of those with the E are very happy with it, even a few portrait photographers have said they find better sharpness with little moire impact. I have only seen moire when taking photos of birds and I saw this even with a camera with filter, but then the feathers often show moire even without a camera (a function of the feather structure I would expect). Mind you for an extra $400 it should be better.

An example of one shot (cropped but I don't think it was sharpened) is here..., a tif or in JPG form jpg.... ooh the TIF is 62Mb in size, beware...

The shot I had printed is this one... hopefully the AMPC thumbnail thingy will work here... the tif is 206Mb in size, although the jpg is more reasonable at 17Mb :-)

In terms of correction, I haven't seen it so bad as needing correction although the subject you have above is a good one.

just noticed there are small JPGs of the sunrise shot earlier in this post.

Currently uploading the photos...

Edited by MandoTiM, 21 April 2013 - 07:17 PM.

#51 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Master

• Atomican
  • 757 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:31 PM

Been back on the Sunshine Coast for a week, left my login details on my PC at home so have been unable to post. Have been trying to get some decent sunrise photos which,as B'B'Freak and A'Man can testify ain't as simple as one might think.

The weather has been mixed, one morning of almost total cloud cover happened to be the morning I had work being done on the flat so I had to be awake anyway but the other mornings (3 so far) have been reasonable. I finally found the position I was looking for on Point Cartwright this morning took some photos then put them through LR4 only to find I'd forgotten to reset the 'quality' after taking some photos of some tiling work being done. Doh, the greatest shots in low res JPGs! Let's hops I get another go in the next few mornings...

Here are a few for starters (may need to go over a coupe of posts....)

Firstly this mornings abortive efforts
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

now previous ones...
again shot from Pt Cartwright but slightly further south near the beach entrance (#198, I think)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Now who was it that had a Tokina Macro lens...
I'm looking to acquire something like it but wondered whether it had auto aperture adjustment (from the knob on the camera) given the Nikon version has an aperture ring on the lens?

#52 Antraman

Antraman

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:25 PM

I got the Tokina 100mm AT-X Pro D Macro. I am trying to work out how the aperture adjustment works. I think its manual change down to f/2.8 to minimum non macro distance...about 1m I think, then if you focus any closer than 1m the auto aperture kicks in. I find this highly annoying. There is an aperture ring on it, you have to lock it at max f/32 for auto metering to work

Edited by Antraman, 09 May 2013 - 10:26 PM.

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us...

#53 basketballfreak6

basketballfreak6

Master

• Atomican
  • 795 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:30 PM

sky looked pretty epic in last couple pics...damn wish i was there on the topic of macro i got my reverse mount ring will try and let u guys know when i get the chance

#54 Antraman

Antraman

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:32 PM

reflections on water in #3 looks pretty sweet.

#55 Genisis X

Genisis X

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,951 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:27 AM

#3 and #4 are pretty sweet IMHO. I would have tried to get more sky in 3#. -X
"We were being told that we must become what we are not, sacrificing what we are to inherit the masquerade of what we will be. I was being told to accept the identity that others will give me. And I wondered, what made my dreams so easy to dismiss?" Shane Koyczan

#56 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Master

• Atomican
  • 757 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:06 PM

#3 and #4 are pretty sweet IMHO.

I would have tried to get more sky in 3#.

-X

GX,

Would have liked too but only so much one can fit into the field of view of a 50mm standard lens. Really wanted to get the reflections over and above the sky so put in as much sky as I could.

BBF and AMan,
Damned if I could find that pool of water this morning! However, nowhere near as much interest in the sky, clouds on the horizon blocked the actual sunrise.. try again tomorrow? perhaps.

#57 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Master

• Atomican
  • 757 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:35 AM

2 more days up before dawn, starting to make a habit of it.

Yesterday's shots first. Had much more cloud cover than before and a band of heavy cloud on the horizon blocking out the actual sunrise so wasn't as happy with the results. Each smaller image is linked into a larger one of higher quality (~2Mb in size, but not the full sized 7,295x4,868 image at 25Mb)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

again all shots were taken at Point Cartwright, East of Mooloolaba. Not a bad spot on the headland at mid to low tide although would be more difficult to get to at high tide. All have been post processed with the usual vibrance, saturation, sharpness and noise adjustments and a little tweaking of the orange.

A couple from today with the balance coming later (given the limit to shots per post). Again there was cloud on the horizon that blocked the actual sunrise but I think a couple of better shots than yesterday.

Posted Image

Posted Image

...the balance.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

enjoy. Now for the constructive criticism.

#58 Antraman

Antraman

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:02 PM

They all look good technically...can't fault them. The only criticism I can think of since you asked...is that I think they would be perfect if there was a focal object of interest within the scene, rather than just the scene itself. But then again...I'm partial to photos that tell a story or hint at something happening, rather than documentary depiction of scenery, so this is just personal preference...

#59 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Master

• Atomican
  • 757 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:18 PM

They all look good technically...can't fault them. The only criticism I can think of since you asked...is that I think they would be perfect if there was a focal object of interest within the scene, rather than just the scene itself. But then again...I'm partial to photos that tell a story or hint at something happening, rather than documentary depiction of scenery, so this is just personal preference...

Thanks, I do need to look at these with my bigger screen at home rather than on this laptop. However I do need to get my workflow organised between LR and PS, need to read your 'manual' on LR soon.

On the subject matter perhaps if I had taken one with the other 2 photographers standing in the foreground taking photographs of the pools of water?(!) My wife always tells me I take too many shots of things without any people in them, but then my daughter's the same.

#60 Antraman

Antraman

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:33 PM

Not necessarily other people...but any object of interest, say, a shell, bit of drift wood, and interesting shaped rock, or an animal... .something that grabs the eye. Like the bright red reflection in pic #6... Lightroom manual? Far from it...lol. Maybe one day when we have a crowd sourced contribution page....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users