Photo

IDE vs AHCI mode - big performance difference?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 karlm

karlm

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 223 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:08 PM

So I just finished rebuilding my machine with Win7 Ultimate, SP1 and the myriad of updates (takes a long while on 512K...) and have just realised that I had my drives on IDE (legacy?) mode in the BIOS instead of AHCI. Is it worth changing it over in the BIOS and doing a repair in Win7, or is the speed difference not going to be that great? Machine seems MUCH more responsive than Vista ... Cheers.

#2 tantryl

tantryl

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 41,933 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:41 PM

Repair not necessary. Small regedit is all that's required.

See hmyah: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
"Unless I call you a stupid goddamn liar to your face, I'm being light hearted." - tantryl, to all you evil fucks "Two things. Number one; I get hard when a woman cries. Number two; your daughter will never walk again." - Dr Glenn Richie

#3 karlm

karlm

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 223 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:15 PM

thanks tantryl. now you mentioned that, I'm kicking myself for forgetting it. Guess the brain is really a FIFO device after all ...

#4 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,783 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:09 AM

ahci is normally faster with ssd depending on the mb controller but in my experience it may be slightly slower with hdd

Silverstone TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2100\9600MHz  -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme  - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
3770k vs 6700k RAM Scaling, HT vs RAM, Arma III CPU vs RAM, Thief CPU vs RAM
Parts Guide

#5 GhostFaceKilla

GhostFaceKilla

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:08 AM

ahci is normally faster with ssd depending on the mb controller but in my experience it may be slightly slower with hdd

yep

AHCI for an SSD (when as a boot drive)

IDE for a HDD (when as a boot drive)

Having AHCI wont make any difference really to any HDD's that you have set as storgae when you have an SSD as a boot drive so dont worry about that anomoally. Rule of thumb still stands despite some saying that there is/isnt a difference (note that most manufacturers of SSD's suggest AHCI as well).

So I just finished rebuilding my machine with Win7 Ultimate, SP1 and the myriad of updates (takes a long while on 512K...) and have just realised that I had my drives on IDE (legacy?) mode in the BIOS instead of AHCI. Is it worth changing it over in the BIOS and doing a repair in Win7, or is the speed difference not going to be that great? Machine seems MUCH more responsive than Vista ...

Cheers.

Only if the boot drive is an SSD, otherwise leave the HDD's on IDE.

#6 robzy

robzy

Immortal

• Hero
  • 42,882 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 01:12 PM

Don't you lose NCQ by not using AHCI? Does anyone actually have any benchmarks showing that AHCI negatively affects the performance of HDDs? Rob.

#7 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,695 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:49 PM

Don't you lose NCQ by not using AHCI?

Does anyone actually have any benchmarks showing that AHCI negatively affects the performance of HDDs?

Rob.

im +1-ing this remark. benchmarks pls, or I was under the impression you lost NCQ as well

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#8 UberPenguin

UberPenguin

Master

• Atomican
  • 822 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:23 AM

SSD benchmark (its sata 2 but you get the idea) http://benchmarkrevi...mp;limitstart=9

Heres a HDD benchmark http://expertester.w...mark-advantage/ the results are oddly mixed

These are pretty much the first benchamarks that I found and unfortunately they are a little out of date but I think they give a decet indication of the principal
RIG: Phenom II 1055T @3.8Ghz 1.44v - Noctua NH-D14 - Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 - 8gig G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1500mhz cas7 - Gigabyte 6950 - G.Skill Pheonix Pro 60g (boot) - 4x1tb in Raid 5 - Azuntech Bravura 7.1 - Fractal Design R3 Black

#9 robzy

robzy

Immortal

• Hero
  • 42,882 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:29 PM

Heres a HDD benchmark http://expertester.w...mark-advantage/ the results are oddly mixed

Funny, to me that shows (quite unequivocally) that, bar a few instances here and there, AHCI is faster. But not by much.

Rob.

#10 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,783 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:35 PM

here is some quick tests i ran a while back i was focusing more on the ssd at the time though looks like i didnt take a screen shot of the hdd difference just remember that it was slightly slower
http://forums.atomic...s...st&p=577058

Silverstone TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2100\9600MHz  -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme  - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
3770k vs 6700k RAM Scaling, HT vs RAM, Arma III CPU vs RAM, Thief CPU vs RAM
Parts Guide

#11 UberPenguin

UberPenguin

Master

• Atomican
  • 822 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 10:52 AM

Funny, to me that shows (quite unequivocally) that, bar a few instances here and there, AHCI is faster. But not by much.

Rob.

Yeah I would agree but with some drives it was slower, problems with the controller?

Anyway it is out of date and all of those companies would have new controllers by now so although it demonstrates that HDD's can loose performance it does also show that (to me) they mostly don’t.

I haven’t noticed any difference in HDD speed with ACHI - in my imagination it would decrease seek time on fragmented disks but I have no solid info to back it up. However, on my ssd the difference was in the vicinity of 50mb a sec.

Edited by UberPenguin, 08 August 2011 - 10:52 AM.

RIG: Phenom II 1055T @3.8Ghz 1.44v - Noctua NH-D14 - Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 - 8gig G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1500mhz cas7 - Gigabyte 6950 - G.Skill Pheonix Pro 60g (boot) - 4x1tb in Raid 5 - Azuntech Bravura 7.1 - Fractal Design R3 Black

#12 karlm

karlm

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 223 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:07 PM

It's interesting to note that different manufacturers have different benefits and detriments - some benefit on reads, some on writes. One weird thing though now is that I have the ability to Safely Remove Hardware/Eject all of my drives which previously only allowed me to do with USB connected devices. Just have to be careful when ejecting my usb keys ...

#13 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,315 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:31 PM

It's interesting to note that different manufacturers have different benefits and detriments - some benefit on reads, some on writes.
One weird thing though now is that I have the ability to Safely Remove Hardware/Eject all of my drives which previously only allowed me to do with USB connected devices. Just have to be careful when ejecting my usb keys ...

That's a function of the chipset and AHCI. Thankfully my mobo has options in the bios to enable or disable the hotswap part of it. So I can disable this function on the individual ports my permanent HDDS are connected to and only have safely remove available for the hotswap drives.
Odd thing is this is not mentioned anywhere in the manual I just discovered it when looking through the BIOS options and wondering what this "ESP" setting thing was.

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

#14 feysal

feysal

Serf

• Lurker
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 01:09 AM

Of course AHCI faster and better in term of compatibility. Am i right? Follow this link for more information about AHCI vs IDE.

Edited by feysal, 19 March 2017 - 03:08 PM.

#15 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,299 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 01:19 AM

Dig up a 5 year old thread then link to a pointless website.  In fact so pointless it has no popups, no dodgy software to try and trick you to install.

Just a few pages of this vs that in poorly constructed Chinglish.

#16 Xen

Xen

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 08:28 AM

Fucking necro threads, I thought Robzy was back for a bit there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users