• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 jhoncartem

jhoncartem

Colossus

• Lurker
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:41 PM

Creative Labs is the best option, I have one with a Intel Board and ATI graphics card and and a sound system AV Receivers .

the sound quality in games and music is great!

Edited by jhoncartem, 30 March 2012 - 12:43 PM.

#42 four40

four40

Immortal

• Quark
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:46 AM

Thanks to all posters in this thread. I have been having a hard time with my X-fi both when using Vista and Win7 x64. Most times the PC will boot up with sound, somedays it doesn't. Getting sick of rebooting 3-4 times before the drivers finally report themselves installed. Creatives driver support, IMO, has been shitful, both in quality and frequency of updates. Considering the Asus and Azuntech cards at the moment. Not worried about headphone amps, as I have a plantronics 7.1 gaming headset which uses a USB dongle/sound card.

#43 Guest_xyzzy frobozz_*

Guest_xyzzy frobozz_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:16 AM

Thanks to all posters in this thread. I have been having a hard time with my X-fi both when using Vista and Win7 x64. Most times the PC will boot up with sound, somedays it doesn't. Getting sick of rebooting 3-4 times before the drivers finally report themselves installed. Creatives driver support, IMO, has been shitful, both in quality and frequency of updates. Considering the Asus and Azuntech cards at the moment. Not worried about headphone amps, as I have a plantronics 7.1 gaming headset which uses a USB dongle/sound card.

I had this problem too.

Go into your BIOS and disable on board sound. On mine I had to disable the "Azalia Codec". From there I've had no problems at all.

Give that a go.

#44 four40

four40

Immortal

• Quark
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:17 PM

I had this problem too.

Go into your BIOS and disable on board sound. On mine I had to disable the "Azalia Codec". From there I've had no problems at all.

Give that a go.

That was the first thing I did when I built my current rig. To be honest, I'm a bit sick of the hoops I have to jump through to get a creative card to work, hence my search for a completly different brand of card. The only issue, I can't remember if my PCI-E slots are obscured by my video card. That'll be an after work job.

#45 Guest_xyzzy frobozz_*

Guest_xyzzy frobozz_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:22 PM

I had this problem too.

Give that a go.

That was the first thing I did when I built my current rig. To be honest, I'm a bit sick of the hoops I have to jump through to get a creative card to work, hence my search for a completly different brand of card. The only issue, I can't remember if my PCI-E slots are obscured by my video card. That'll be an after work job.

I agree that they are needlessly fiddly. I found that I've had issues with them at the start, but they seem to sort themselves out. The bundled Creative software is horrendous. Reports are that they have improved the software since the X-Fi Titanium cards.

#46 A Hitman

A Hitman

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:52 PM

I think you are better off with Asus sound cards these days, Creative seems to have stopped caring since the Vista launch.
http://www.asus.com/...io_Cards/Gaming
Then again the new driver model for sound cards released in Vista did pretty much destroy their business (Lost support for Hardware processing and EAX in Vista)
not working is hard work

#47 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 20,157 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:58 PM

+1 ASUS. I love my Essence STX.

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.” - Mark Twain

An open mind is willing to consider new ideas, while provisionally accepting those backed by empirical evidence, and provisionally rejecting those without.

#48 basketballfreak6

basketballfreak6

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 778 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:34 PM

can't go wrong with either the asus essence stx or creative x-fi titanium HD (which i got, and the only creative card i would consider)

#49 ninjacatfish

ninjacatfish

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 331 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:58 PM

I've heard of people having no trouble with Creative, and just as many having heaps of issues. I used an Audigy 4, and an X-Fi XtremeMusic and both had issues with drivers from Vista onwards. My old ASUS Esence STX worked perfectly in Vista and 7. Currently using an AudioEngine D1 USB DAC in lieu of an internal sound card. Leaves my case with room to SLI, as well as getting my sound device out of my case which will be full of EMI I imagine. The USB DAC needs no drivers, and is OS agnostic which appeals to me as a Mac and PC user. You do miss out on all the sound tech they put into sound cards like Dolby Headphone and CMSS, but to be honest, I never actually used them with my STX, or any prior sound card. I found they just changed music to make it sound unnatural to my ears. That said, I never had any EMI issues with my Essence STX, I just thought I'd try something new when I broke it :P

Edited by ninjacatfish, 25 June 2012 - 08:01 PM.

PC: Intel i5 2500K @4.5GHz | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP RAM | 2x MSI GTX560 Ti Hawk in SLI | MSI P67A-GD65 | 120GB Intel 520 SSD+3TB of HDDs | Silverstone Fortress FT-02 | Dell U2711 + Dell U2311H 15-inch MacBook Pro late-2008: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz | 4GB DDR3 RAM | 320GB HDD | GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT

#50 four40

four40

Immortal

• Quark
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:31 AM

So after doing a bit of reading about the Xonar D2X and Essence STI, I'm still not sure if I will be able to use my (very) old Logitech X-620 speakers. Current set up is using 3 rca plugs, there is no optical or coax connecters. Speakers have been rock solid, hence why I still have them. Can't justify updating them.

#51 ninjacatfish

ninjacatfish

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 331 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:36 PM

You won't get surround sound from an Essence STX that can go directly into the X-620's. Only way you'd be able to do that is having an Optical Audio decoder between the sound card and the speakers (something like an AV receiver), probably not worth the trouble/cost. The D2X looks to have analog 3.5mm outputs, so they should work with the X-620's, if they're the same as the old Logitech surrounds I used to have (3x3.5mm analog plugs for surround sound).
PC: Intel i5 2500K @4.5GHz | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP RAM | 2x MSI GTX560 Ti Hawk in SLI | MSI P67A-GD65 | 120GB Intel 520 SSD+3TB of HDDs | Silverstone Fortress FT-02 | Dell U2711 + Dell U2311H 15-inch MacBook Pro late-2008: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz | 4GB DDR3 RAM | 320GB HDD | GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT

#52 A Hitman

A Hitman

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:36 AM

So after doing a bit of reading about the Xonar D2X and Essence STI, I'm still not sure if I will be able to use my (very) old Logitech X-620 speakers. Current set up is using 3 rca plugs, there is no optical or coax connecters. Speakers have been rock solid, hence why I still have them. Can't justify updating them.

3 RCA plugs?
The D2X has 4 3.5mm analog outputs
http://www.asus.com....#specifications
not working is hard work

#53 four40

four40

Immortal

• Quark
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:33 AM

3 RCA plugs?
The D2X has 4 3.5mm analog outputs
http://www.asus.com....#specifications

Oops, my bad. Mixed up my port names. Thanks for that

#54 hevydevy

hevydevy

Colossus

• Lurker
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

I purchased a X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series last October, knowing full well the risk and high probability of headache inducing problem solving i would be required to undertake at some stage. which to my surprise did not happen until last week. it installed easily into win7 x64. a little glitchy swapping from dts > non dts (for headphones mode), or swapping from entertainment console to gaming console occasionally caused problems. but overall worked well. then last week it just stopped working, why? ill never know. removed the card uninstalled all the creative bloatware rebooted, rebooted again and then reinstalled the card and only essential drivers. works perfectly now. oh and also removed the i/o drive. i love the way that thing looks, but shit. i never used it once in 6 months.

#55 four40

four40

Immortal

• Quark
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

Still getting used to the Xonar D2X. Tried updating to the latest drivers, blue screened the PC. Must of been running the wrong exe. While I wanted to keep my current speakers, the new sound card doesn't quite drive them like I want. Can't get the sound scape set up like the Creative card could (CMSS or something). What's annoying is the lack of range for speakers from my usual online haunts. I'd like to run optical and do away with a lot of cables, let the sound card give a good shout. I'd like to stay with Logitech but open to suggestions.

#56 osama_bin_athlon

osama_bin_athlon

Learner

• Hero
  • 21,067 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:33 AM

I won't waste my money on those shitty little plastic computer speaker systems, at the moment I'm running an AKAI amp, powering a pair of 3way Kenwood speakers (I listen to a lot of music) it shits all over any computer setup that I've heard, while the cost was minimal - actually nothing, til my Marantz amp shit itself, I found the equipment in the street.......amazing what people chuck out - more money than sense. I really can't see the point in multi-speakered surround BS......unless it's at a very low volume there's no point. a reasonably decent stereo setup emulates all that. the sound bounces off the back wall, that's the rear speakers taken care of with the speakers about 8 feet apart, it gives the impression of a sub, plus, being the size that they are, the bass reverberates thru the floor etc etc
Quote by lunchbox1988 No, but the way he eases me onto his chimp-meat, makes me think he is prince charming. i7 2600K @ 4.4G/Corsair H100/Asrock Z68 Ext4 Gen3/16G 2133Mhz RipjawsX/2x GTX560 Direct CU SLI/2x Corsair 120G Force3 (RAID_0)/8TB Storage (2x RAID_0 arrays)/1x 320G WD Black - Backup/SB Recon3D Fatal1ty Pro/Corsair HX1000/LiteOn BD-RW/CM HAF 932 Adv/Win7 Ult. x64/27" AOC e2795Vh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users