• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Cummings

Cummings

Journeyman

• Hero
  • 7,179 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 11:41 PM

I might as well start throwing my shots into my own thread. My camera is a D7000, and is my first purchase of a SLR. I chose two lens to begin with, the Nikon 50mm f1.4G having seen some nice portrait work with the lens by a friend of mine, and a Nikon 35mm f1.8G that would give me a wider field of view for my food photography. I really like this camera, and have found myself using the 50mm more than the 35mm so far. These first few shots I'm posting were taken this week in Sydney during my spare time at a conference. I'm slowly getting into the habit of checking all the camera settings before I take a photo, and gaining good appreciation of what I need for different scenes. Enjoy :)

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
1. Tumbalong Park fountain. 50mm, f1.4, 1/8000, ISO160
2. Tumbalong Park fountain. 50mm, f1.4, 1/1600, ISO160
3. Darling Harbour spiral. 35mm, f1.8, 1/160, ISO160

4. Tumbalong Park fountain. 35mm, f5.6, 1/640, ISO160
5. Tumbalong Park fountain. 35mm, f4.0, 1/1250, ISO160
6. Darling Harbour spiral. 35mm, f1.8, 1/160, ISO160

7. A table!. 50mm, f1.4, 1/40, ISO1000
8. Chairs & Gull. 50mm, f1.4, 1/40, ISO1000
9. Laser Tag. 35mm, f2.8, 1/60, ISO800 (Auto+Flash), LR used to remove smoke scatter.
"It was not the person that locked up his invention in his scrutoire that ought to profit by a patent for such an invention, but he who brought it forth for the benefit of the public." - William Murray (Lord Mansfield) New Rule: If you have to think about RTMing something, then you don't need to RTM it.

#2 Antraman

Antraman

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 01:05 PM

hey man welcome to D7K club, it is a nice camera indeed, still learning mine. The spiral and the table are quite nice. The rich colouring on the table is excellent.
Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us...

#3 Cummings

Cummings

Journeyman

• Hero
  • 7,179 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:51 PM

Posted Image Posted Image

Had a go of trying to capture the beard of one of my bearded dragons using a 35mm. They stay pretty damn still so long as I don't move my fingers (fingers=food), so I could get good results with 1/2s exposure. Aperture was F4.5 and ISO100. The right is a crop of my focusing region.
"It was not the person that locked up his invention in his scrutoire that ought to profit by a patent for such an invention, but he who brought it forth for the benefit of the public." - William Murray (Lord Mansfield) New Rule: If you have to think about RTMing something, then you don't need to RTM it.

#4 justin105

justin105

Titan

• Quark
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:50 PM

Hey, Great to see anouther D7000 Owner. I love the Rain pictures they are quiet different. Man i gotta get my hands on a 50mm 1.4 lense. I really want one bad lol hahaha. Nice shots mate keep it up.
Processor: AMD 1090T | MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 | MEMORY: Patriot Gamer2 DDR3 1333 8Gb | CPU COOLER: Zalman CNPS9500A LED | HDD Patriot Pyro ATA 120gb, Seagate Barracuda 1Tb, 2Tb Website: http://focusedplanetphotography.com Flickr: Justin.s105 Facebook: http://www.facebook....anetphotography 500px: http://500px.com/JustinScicluna

#5 Antraman

Antraman

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:12 PM

what was the camera and lens on that dragon? I am detecting a bit of defocus, and chromatic aberration on the head.
Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us...

#6 Cummings

Cummings

Journeyman

• Hero
  • 7,179 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:30 PM

The lens is a Nikon 35mm DX 1.8G on a Nikon D7000

The following pics are from Wilsons Promontory National Park at the southernmost tip of mainland Australia. I spend an afternoon, sunset and night around the Tidal River beaches. Some multiple exposure and HDR shots will maybe come later. I'm new at the game so really don't know how they will turn out.

Picnic Bay, Wilsons Promontory National Park at Sunset on Saturday the 12th November 2011. Nikon D7000 + Nikon 35mm F1.8G at ISO100, F22, 1/400s.
Picnic Bay, Wilsons Promontory National Park during daylight on Saturday the 12th November 2011. Nikon D7000 + Nikon 50mm F1.4G at ISO100, F5, 1/100s.
Tidal River, Wilsons Promontory National Park during daylight on Saturday the 12th November 2011. Nikon D7000 + Nikon 50mm F1.4G at ISO100, F10, 1/50s.

Picnic Bay, Wilsons Promontory National Park at Sunset on Saturday the 12th November 2011. Nikon D7000 + Nikon 35mm F1.8G at ISO100, F22, 1/200s.
Picnic Bay, Wilsons Promontory National Park at Sunset on Saturday the 12th November 2011. Nikon D7000 + Nikon 35mm F1.8G at ISO100, F22, 1/10s.
Picnic Bay, Wilsons Promontory National Park at Sunset on Saturday the 12th November 2011. Nikon D7000 + Nikon 35mm F1.8G at ISO100, F16, 1/10s.

Edited by Cummings, 13 November 2011 - 08:51 PM.

#7 Cummings

Cummings

Journeyman

• Hero
  • 7,179 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:45 PM

Squeaky Beach, Wilsons Promontory National Park after dark on Saturday the 12th November 2011. Nikon D7000 + Nikon 35mm F1.8G at ISO500, F1.8, 15s.
Squeaky Beach, Wilsons Promontory National Park after dark on Saturday the 12th November 2011. Nikon D7000 + Nikon 35mm F1.8G at ISO500, F1.8, 20s.
Squeaky Beach, Wilsons Promontory National Park after dark on Saturday the 12th November 2011. Nikon D7000 + Nikon 35mm F1.8G at ISO500, F1.8, 10s.

Squeaky Beach, Wilsons Promontory National Park after dark on Saturday the 12th November 2011. Nikon D7000 + Nikon 35mm F1.8G at ISO500, F1.8, 10s.
Squeaky Beach, Wilsons Promontory National Park after dark on Saturday the 12th November 2011. Nikon D7000 + Nikon 35mm F1.8G at ISO500, F4, 30s.
Squeaky Beach, Wilsons Promontory National Park after dark on Saturday the 12th November 2011. Nikon D7000 + Nikon 35mm F1.8G at ISO500, F5, 20s.

Edited by Cummings, 13 November 2011 - 08:49 PM.

#8 Cummings

Cummings

Journeyman

• Hero
  • 7,179 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:24 PM

NYE 2011 in Melbourne. I Wanted to photograph fireworks with the city in the background but the wind was coming right at me, and the first few fireworks were pretty dull so the shots were boring.
Some rockets went off in parkland beside the city, and came up OK after some cropping.

Jumping spider I captured by revering my 50 mm lens. Blurry due manual holding of the lens and no control over aperture ring.
A few food snaps I've taken before consumption.

Edited by Cummings, 25 January 2012 - 09:34 PM.

#9 Cummings

Cummings

Journeyman

• Hero
  • 7,179 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:40 PM

Wilsons Promontory National Park. I've now learnt that lightroom produced quite different photos than what I get on my camera, and how to fix them. Better in these ones.

Cape Schanck National Park HDRs. A storm front was rocketing in read quick, and I had a go at trying to HDR it. My manual ev stepping was a little slow, and the cloud movement is apparent.

#10 Antraman

Antraman

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:45 PM

D7k can do bracketed exposure +/- of metered exposure, so you can take 3 shots in rapid succession... The bottom left shot in the last batch is very nice....all are goo, but this one stands out to me...

#11 basketballfreak6

basketballfreak6

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 778 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:01 AM

hey Cummings try your hdr again but with single exposure, just pull +1 -1 each way some nice shots there

Edited by basketballfreak6, 26 January 2012 - 01:03 AM.

#12 Cummings

Cummings

Journeyman

• Hero
  • 7,179 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:49 AM

Yeah I've thrown it on bkt with high frame rate before (also, the internal intervalometer can be set up with bracketing in mind for easy time lapse hdr). I probably did at that location, but I know I also wanted to experiment further by going manual, which I think is what resulted in the bottom left shot. I've also read you can set up U1 and U2 to be +2eV so that with +-2 bracketing you can get a full 9eVs if you so desired it. Other people suggested writing to Nikon to get a firmware update that allows more :p

#13 Mr.Twinkie

Mr.Twinkie

Charge

• Atomican
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:46 AM

So....professional. Well done son! Oh BTW your name gives me the heebie jeebies. Just saying.

"Ignorance is a luxury that you cannot afford"

-somebody

#14 Genisis X

Genisis X

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 5,890 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:08 PM

Nice. The bottom right and the girl in the sunset are sick! Great coulour and comp! -X
"We were being told that we must become what we are not, sacrificing what we are to inherit the masquerade of what we will be. I was being told to accept the identity that others will give me. And I wondered, what made my dreams so easy to dismiss?" Shane Koyczan

#15 Cummings

Cummings

Journeyman

• Hero
  • 7,179 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:05 PM

The current Melbourne weather has been pretty good for sunsets, with cloud cover just at the right level to let bursts of light through to the smog of the city. I decided to try my luck at a few HDRs to see if I could catch the city, sun and clouds all in one shot. I'm pretty darn happy with the results given I've only had the camera less than half a year. All shots were taken on a D7000 with a 50mm 1.4 lens set at f10. All shots are 9 step HDRs with ISO100. Processing was performed in photomatix.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 basketballfreak6

basketballfreak6

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 778 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:29 PM

very nice, love the dramatic sky

#17 Cummings

Cummings

Journeyman

• Hero
  • 7,179 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:14 PM

Took a trip out to Victoria's Grampians National Park on the weekend, and managed to squeeze in some time for photography.

Posted Image
Nice rock formations.

Posted Image
The Pinnacle.

Posted Image
Middle part of Mackenzie Falls.

Posted Image
Lower (main) part of Mackenzie Falls.

Posted Image
Group photo at the Pinnacle.

And on the HDR Side:

Posted Image
View from the Pinnacle out over the gap.

Posted Image
View from the Pinnacle out over the Grampians.

Posted Image
View from Reid's lookout at Sunset.

Posted Image
Upper part of Mackenzie Falls.

#18 Antraman

Antraman

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:27 PM

Very nice shots man. Some nice effects too. HDR on the 3rd last? The waterfall ones are perfect...what was the time exposure on those? Grampians is one place in Australia that I haven't yet visited but should. Your pics have confirmed it.

#19 Cummings

Cummings

Journeyman

• Hero
  • 7,179 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:39 PM

The last four were all HDR. With the third last I had to deal with some fast moving cloud, and in the second last I had some strong (and freezing) wind to contend with which resulted in the foreground vegetation blur. The single exposure waterfalls were taken at around 0.5s exposure to smooth it out, whilst the HDR waterfall was taken at 1/13 and faster so that the turbulence would be preserved. I think I'll be going back there specifically for a photo shoot (and to see the parts I missed).

#20 Chancellor

Chancellor

Charge

• Hero
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:01 PM

It looks like a wonderful bit of country to explore and photograph.. Beautiful pictures, and I have to say it's a very nice use of HDR.
Out of my mind, be back eventually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users