• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Xen

Xen

Charge

• Atomican
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:29 AM

Hi all, I currently have a synology DS410j that I'm using for... well everything. The main uses its currently serving are: Backup for linux (NFS) Backup for windows (synology proprietary backup tools) Streaming music while I'm at work. File storage (CIFS / NFS) Torrents DLNA server that is connected to via a Dlink Live media player (as well as my girlfriends windows laptop) I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a Linux based distro (or group of packages) that has all of this (or more i'm not picky : ) ) Unfortunately due to other people using it, it would need to have a nice consolidated web based control system. Reason i'm looking for something other than the NAS is that given the NAS only has 128mb of RAM along with a crappy cpu it gets pretty well choked down.
如诸佛尽寿不杀生, 我亦尽寿不杀生 如诸佛尽寿不偷盗, 我亦尽寿不偷盗 如诸佛尽寿不妄语, 我某甲亦尽寿不妄语

#2 p0is0n

p0is0n

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 5,461 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:22 PM

im no linux guru but i've been playing around with mythbuntu and it might be just what you are looking for.
also comes with most of the core ubuntu features, which can probably be removed.
might be a good place to start.

as i said im no linux guru so there may be better distros, but check it out i guess.

Edited by p0is(+)n, 21 September 2011 - 07:26 PM.

i7 2600k | Z68A-GD80 | 8GB RAM | CF 7970 | 120GB SSD | 1kW PSU | Butchered Case | Water Cooling | U2713H HP N40L | 16GB RAM | 7x WD 2TB | Ubuntu | ZFS

#3 Midnighter

Midnighter

Learner

• Atomican
  • 28,662 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:23 PM

http://darrenyates.c...ome-server/2313 ?
Marcus Aurelius: ‘Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.’

#4 Xen

Xen

Charge

• Atomican
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:40 AM

Thanks both muchly....

Ill give both a try and see how they go...

Do you know of anywhere this is hosted?

Can seem to find it on their site.

#5 SledgY

SledgY

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 917 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:28 PM

Sounds like a job for FreeNAS.
poweredbypenguins.org - SledgY lives in the cloud...

#6 Xen

Xen

Charge

• Atomican
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:38 PM

Hmmm... last time i looked at FreeNAS it was... well a poor mans SAN.

Looks like the features have improved but not quite all the things im looking for.

Which is sad cause FreeNAS is as solid as a tank from memory.

Unfortunately i have been told if i setup anther one (NAS) it has to be one device due to lack of money and space :(

#7 SledgY

SledgY

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 917 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:55 PM

Hmmm... last time i looked at FreeNAS it was... well a poor mans SAN.

Looks like the features have improved but not quite all the things im looking for.

Which is sad cause FreeNAS is as solid as a tank from memory.

Unfortunately i have been told if i setup anther one (NAS) it has to be one device due to lack of money and space :(

FreeNAS is more like a nice front end to BSD, has never been anything like SAN (although does have support for iSCSI).

In saying that it has all the features you mentioned (and more), with a nice GUI and runs on normal PC hardware, you only need one device!
poweredbypenguins.org - SledgY lives in the cloud...

#8 Xen

Xen

Charge

• Atomican
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 02:02 PM

It's got the features there (or the ability to put them in), sorry was more talking of the "glue" that holds them together.

Like so:
Posted Image

As for the SAN remark it has the ability to present a block-disk to another device over iscsi... hence the poor mans SAN.

I know it doesn't have all the features of most enterprise HW SANS (No fiber channel ...etc)

Edited by Xen, 22 September 2011 - 02:06 PM.

#9 CptnChrysler

CptnChrysler

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:52 PM

Thanks both muchly....

Ill give both a try and see how they go...

Do you know of anywhere this is hosted?

Can seem to find it on their site.

From the PCUser site:

The operating system, based on Xubuntu 8.04 but topped up with MythTV, BackupPC, VLC and a number of other features, is available on the current October 2008 issue of PC User. However, it is not available for download.

However you could grab the latest Xubuntu (or other Distro) and start adding the needed packages to build your own solution.

Look at TorrentfluxB4rt for torrenting from a browser.

There are also distros like ClearOS which is based on CentOS and will give you the centralised web based control you are talking about. ClearOS is designed as a file/mail/web/ftp/gateway al in one server for small buisness. I'm sure you can add the extras like TorrentfluxB4rt and a UPnP server to a base like that.
Everyone's entitled to my opinion! I've got the T-Shirt to prove it.

#10 Xen

Xen

Charge

• Atomican
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:58 PM

Thanks, ill run those ones through their paces as well. Might look at seeing if i can put something together with php along the lines of the NAS. Feel like a MAC user having gotten attached to the shiny, pretty little widgets. All though that said i can just keep the NAS for the pretty and use something like FreeNAS for the functional.

#11 twinair

twinair

Initiate

• Hero
  • 47,242 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:44 PM

Don't bother with MythTV if you want native BluRay playback. Just sayin'.

Edited by twinair, 25 September 2011 - 03:45 PM.

This aint no fuckin' bible study. I didn't come here to save whales. I came here to shake my dick and have a great time.

#12 CptnChrysler

CptnChrysler

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:50 AM

You're right twinair.

The most common solution to that is MakeMKV.

#13 twinair

twinair

Initiate

• Hero
  • 47,242 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:09 AM

It's a really lame solution. Who wants to buy a Bluray, spend ages ripping it and storing it, then playing it back? I want to insert disc and play it. Also, there's no way in the world my daughter and wife would let me survive if they had to do that to watch a movie :) I'm hoping MythTV come to the party. If they do, I will seriously consider ditching Windows Media Centre. I do understand though, that it is not really a Linux issue, it's a DRM thing. Bloody wankers.

Edited by twinair, 26 September 2011 - 11:10 AM.

This aint no fuckin' bible study. I didn't come here to save whales. I came here to shake my dick and have a great time.

#14 CptnChrysler

CptnChrysler

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:18 AM

Yup, DRM sucks hard. Make MKV is not that lame as a solution though, MakeMKV rips at pretty much the highest speed your optical drive can handle and uses very little CPU as it doesn't transcode the files, only rips. The result is the same quality as original (no transcoding) and then you've got the movie available in your digital library and can store the original disk safely away from the kids grubby fingers. Storage is ridiculously cheap these days.

Edited by CptnChrysler, 26 September 2011 - 11:20 AM.

#15 twinair

twinair

Initiate

• Hero
  • 47,242 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:10 PM

So I just tried MakeMKV...and it didn't actually make an MKV, it just ripped raw files from the BluRay disc...now I need to convert those raw files into an actual MKV...see, lame.

#16 CptnChrysler

CptnChrysler

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:12 AM

Works well for me. I can rip a DVD movie to MKV in a little over 10 mins, without bogging down the CPU. Though I will admit that I've only personally used it with DVD's as I don't own a BlueRay drive. I do know however know people who swear by MakeMKV who use it with BlueRay.

#17 twinair

twinair

Initiate

• Hero
  • 47,242 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:50 AM

Yet to try it with a DVD...but are you saying straight from DVD it spits out an MKV file? Doesn't seem to be the case with BluRay.

#18 Xen

Xen

Charge

• Atomican
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:54 AM

Yet to try it with a DVD...but are you saying straight from DVD it spits out an MKV file? Doesn't seem to be the case with BluRay.

About to give it go now, I've been looking for something to rip all of my shows so i can play on the DNLA player.

Edit: scrap that doesn't like virtualbox dvd drives, ill give it a go tonight.

Edited by Xen, 27 September 2011 - 10:56 AM.

#19 johndev

johndev

Colossus

• Lurker
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:38 AM

I was in need of this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users