• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pcicecube

pcicecube

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 903 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:33 PM

Hi Guys Was hoping for some expert advice does anybody know or recommend a website company that can help me advise a customer on decent website build? (yes I know google searches come up with a few - but im after word of mouth too- that goes a long way nowadays) Rough concepts: 7-11 pages Budget is realistic - 1k-5k CMS Social networking integration. Easy to update. Thanks in advance! Gaz
GA 990 FX UD5
32 GB DDR
AMD 8 core FX
Skythe tower cooler
ATI Radeon HD 4870 OC 1GB 780MHz
Pro Sound blaster fatality
118TB Total HDDs
8 SAS drives raid 0
Logitech Z5500 Digital
27inch x2
NAS 4TB
RAID 3 10TB drive cage
Windows 7 x64 on Vertex 2 120GB
Cherry blue razor and G9 with HID

#2 kikz

kikz

Learner

• Hero
  • 19,277 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:20 PM

Do I know a decent website company? Yeah I work for one, making highly scalable and very visible public websites. Unfortunately we can't offer you any help because 1k-5k is the realm of bad website companies :/ e: What exactly does "help me advise a company on a decent website build" mean? How are you advising your customer? Do you want another company to show your customer they're more suited to doing the job than you? Why don't you ask questions here? I'm sure suitable ppl would give you advice on your proposal to your customer; myself included. For free! I know there are plenty of companies out there that'll build a site in the price range you ask. They'll probably take 2ish days to do it, and you'll need to have all copy for the site ready to go. It'll probably be a pretty generic template, using on open source CMS, or one they've built themselves.

Edited by kikz, 04 October 2011 - 09:29 PM.

#3 pcicecube

pcicecube

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 903 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:49 AM

Do I know a decent website company? Yeah I work for one, making highly scalable and very visible public websites. Unfortunately we can't offer you any help because 1k-5k is the realm of bad website companies :/

e: What exactly does "help me advise a company on a decent website build" mean? How are you advising your customer? Do you want another company to show your customer they're more suited to doing the job than you?
Why don't you ask questions here? I'm sure suitable ppl would give you advice on your proposal to your customer; myself included. For free!

I know there are plenty of companies out there that'll build a site in the price range you ask. They'll probably take 2ish days to do it, and you'll need to have all copy for the site ready to go. It'll probably be a pretty generic template, using on open source CMS, or one they've built themselves.

Thanks kikz, Ok what would I be expected to pay for a decent site of that size, this area is totally new to me - I consult in other areas of IT -not web....any ideas....?' btw the Customer is not computer savvy so ideally I would like the system to be easy enough for them to update word etc on the site.

thanks again folks!

G
GA 990 FX UD5
32 GB DDR
AMD 8 core FX
Skythe tower cooler
ATI Radeon HD 4870 OC 1GB 780MHz
Pro Sound blaster fatality
118TB Total HDDs
8 SAS drives raid 0
Logitech Z5500 Digital
27inch x2
NAS 4TB
RAID 3 10TB drive cage
Windows 7 x64 on Vertex 2 120GB
Cherry blue razor and G9 with HID

#4 kikz

kikz

Learner

• Hero
  • 19,277 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:01 AM

heh I have no idea. Most the sites I do take months of development, with multiple developers, where the licensing costs for the CMS's alone are 6 figures :)

From what I've seen of the small shops, $1,000 to $5,000 is pretty typical for what you put above. Be sure to enquire about recurring hosting costs, who owns the IP, is there included maintenance, what support will be provided.

If it we me doing thins, I'd go for Umbraco CMS as the backend. You can do the basic stuff, as mentioned above, with what comes out of the box. More complicated stuff requires .NET programming knowledge. Of course, you'd need CSS/HTML skills to do the design as it comes with 0 templates/designs. That's just me though. Umbraco has a decent editor experience. I use it for the Atomic F1 competition. Though I'd put that site at about $20,000-$30,000 worth rather than $5K

Another alternative is a wordpress site. cheap and easy.

#5 glitch

glitch

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:34 PM

pcicecube As a freelancer that is the kind of work I do; small 1-5k sites for small/medium businesses. (yes I use open source CMS, but i don't typically use templates) As Kikz said, if you want to have a stab at it, atomic will help, if you want a company to do it I can point out a couple, or if you don't mind waiting I could have a look at it for you in a month or so (full-on at the moment). All the best with it. |G|

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users