• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Genisis X

Genisis X

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:39 PM

I use PS CS5 atm for my panoramas, and its good. There's no doubting that, but I'd like to have more control over the perspective and the layering of the images and all that. Do any of you guys use any other software for pano's and what do you think of it? Cheers. -X
"We were being told that we must become what we are not, sacrificing what we are to inherit the masquerade of what we will be. I was being told to accept the identity that others will give me. And I wondered, what made my dreams so easy to dismiss?" Shane Koyczan

#2 Antraman

Antraman

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:16 AM

I have had good results with PTGUI ( http://www.ptgui.com )

PTGui is panoramic stitching software for Windows and Mac OSX. Originally developed as a Graphical User Interface for Panorama Tools (hence the name), PTGui now is a full featured photo stitching application.

Just released: PTGui and PTGui Pro 9.1: Align to Grid, improved automatic alignment, ghost cursor, more...

Use PTGui to stitch any number of photos into a panoramic image. Some benefits of PTGui, when compared to other stitching software:

PTGui can stitch multiple rows of images
Create 360 degree cylindrical panoramas, 'flat' partial panoramas and even spherical 360x180 degree panoramas
No need to keep the camera level: PTGui can stitch rotated and tilted images
Virtually unlimited output size: create Gigapixel panoramas from hundreds of images!
Layered output allows full control over the final stitched result
PTGui stitches most panoramas fully automatically, but at the same time provides full manual control over every single parameter. This enables stitching of 'difficult' scenes, where other programs fail.
Full 16 bit workflow for best image quality

Edited by Antraman, 18 October 2011 - 12:17 AM.

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us...

#3 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 749 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:11 PM

I use PS CS5 atm for my panoramas, and its good. There's no doubting that, but I'd like to have more control over the perspective and the layering of the images and all that. Do any of you guys use any other software for pano's and what do you think of it?

Cheers.

-X

I've used The Panorama Factory by Smoky City Design, works very well in 64-bit which I progressed to after using a 32-bit version. Gives good control over stitching points, if anything too much control but to be honest it seems to be more work than CS4 which I now use in preference. From memory it's low cost (around US$40-50?). Check out their webpage on http://www.panoramaf....com/index.html. Also allows multy row stitching (but by adding several rows previously stitched) and also does 360deg views with hot points etc.

Tim.
Stupidity is a condition, ignorance is a choice, don't make it... MandoTiM Asus P6T, Intel i-7 920, 24Gb mem, 3 Tb storage (after mirroring), silent Geforce 9600, Asus HD 5450 Silent, RME Multiface, NEC 27inch screen wide gamut, PS5 and Cubase 6 under Windows 7.

#4 drago13666

drago13666

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 7,926 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:09 PM

I Love my panoramas too, I tend to stick with CS% and make manual tweaks myself, the blending of individual layers can work rather than doing a pano on the full images
Life, just like Schrödinger's cat, is both heaven and hell. It is only through death, when the true measure of our lives can be determinded, do we find out where we spend the rest of eternity.

#5 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 749 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:06 PM

I've just upgraded my memory to 24Gb (from 6Gb) and its made a huge difference to CS4 stitching Panos. Why 24? well the shop didn't have 6, only sets of 8Gb and I just thought I'd go the whole hog and fill up the slots... Glad I did, it's made a huge difference to working in CS4 and I suspect I'll find the same thing when I'm working on sound files as well in Cubase.
Stupidity is a condition, ignorance is a choice, don't make it... MandoTiM Asus P6T, Intel i-7 920, 24Gb mem, 3 Tb storage (after mirroring), silent Geforce 9600, Asus HD 5450 Silent, RME Multiface, NEC 27inch screen wide gamut, PS5 and Cubase 6 under Windows 7.

#6 Genisis X

Genisis X

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:29 PM

The main problem with photoshop is that you have no control of the perspective. Programs like PTGui or Hugin allow you to precisely control how the image looks. I still haven't decided on one yet. PTGui is by far the best one but I'm not sure if I want to drop $110 on it just yet... -X
"We were being told that we must become what we are not, sacrificing what we are to inherit the masquerade of what we will be. I was being told to accept the identity that others will give me. And I wondered, what made my dreams so easy to dismiss?" Shane Koyczan

#7 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 749 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:38 PM

The main problem with photoshop is that you have no control of the perspective. Programs like PTGui or Hugin allow you to precisely control how the image looks.

I still haven't decided on one yet. PTGui is by far the best one but I'm not sure if I want to drop $110 on it just yet...

-X

use transform afterwards?

#8 Genisis X

Genisis X

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:37 PM

The main problem with photoshop is that you have no control of the perspective. Programs like PTGui or Hugin allow you to precisely control how the image looks.

I still haven't decided on one yet. PTGui is by far the best one but I'm not sure if I want to drop $110 on it just yet...

-X

use transform afterwards?

That's a massive PITA compared to PTui or Hugin. ;)

-X

#9 retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife

Guru

• Quark
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 08:51 PM

I use AutoPano
http://www.autopano..../view/Main_Page
http://www.kolor.com/

It can stitch just about anything together.

Regards MarkL

#10 Kommando

Kommando

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 15,070 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:05 PM

I use AutoPano
http://www.autopano..../view/Main_Page
http://www.kolor.com/

It can stitch just about anything together.

Regards MarkL

Not only that but it renders using your GPU, can adjust component image location with flow on effect to surrounding images in real time, render multi-gigapixel images, HDR and LDR, and offers a vast variety of manual controls.
multiple projection types and in the latest version the images dont even need to be taken from the same location to stitch them.

Posted Image
"You are richest by doing what you enjoy the most" -Skull

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users