• Please log in to reply
361 replies to this topic

#1 Sir_Substance

Sir_Substance

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 15,739 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:49 PM

I've never played D&D before, but it's always sounded pretty fun. I think we discussed it a while back and came to the conclusion that it would take several hours to teach new players the ropes, but I believe we have several veterans. I propose that sometimes after exams are done, we stake out a day, meet at about 11am or so and have a game! Also, all hail more regular adelaide meets!
Kablez- You can only beat a brick wall with so many sticks until... you wasted all your time collecting and breaking sticks against a wall... Tantryl- Knowledge is the new power, but will never provide a stable baseload as cost effective as burning puppies. mm80x: I allege that Sir substance must be from the internet

#2 Cybes

Cybes

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 15,277 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:54 PM

I've only ever played - not GM'd it. I don't even have a copy of the DMG. I do have PHBs from 2e to 4e and enough poly dice to roll a maximised empowered fireball in one throw. ;)

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea." - Antoine de Saint Exupery [quoted by Niel DeGrasse Tyson, about space travel]

#3 Sir_Substance

Sir_Substance

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 15,739 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:52 PM

I don't really understand D&D, I presume that being a GM requires extensive knowledge of the game from the players side. If that assumption is incorrect then I'd happily take a punt at GM.

Edited by Sir_Substance, 25 October 2011 - 10:52 PM.

Kablez- You can only beat a brick wall with so many sticks until... you wasted all your time collecting and breaking sticks against a wall... Tantryl- Knowledge is the new power, but will never provide a stable baseload as cost effective as burning puppies. mm80x: I allege that Sir substance must be from the internet

#4 Cybes

Cybes

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 15,277 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:05 AM

No, that's pretty much correct. You need to know the system better than your players (at the very least) and to have the game universe lore down fairly well too. The lore you can fake if you're using a setting the players don't know either - say a custom world. And it pays to know your players, too: my gaming group had collectively played or read almost every module ever written - if you wanted to surprise them on anything, you couldn't use any of the known tricks because they'd recognise 'em. Plus. as I said, you need the DMG at a minimum. Also the DM screen would be handy, the bestiary is near-essential, and the setting book would be good to have too (eg: Greyhawk). None of which I have. Although I do have the 4e Eberron book, I think (a friend decided he didn't like 4e and gave me a few books).

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea." - Antoine de Saint Exupery [quoted by Niel DeGrasse Tyson, about space travel]

#5 Sir_Substance

Sir_Substance

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 15,739 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:21 AM

I suspect HB will have some of the books. I know this is terribly bad form, but couldn't we just download some of the others? I know from trying it with warhammer its annoying reading books on a screen rather then flicking through them by hand, but worth trying for one night?

#6 Cybes

Cybes

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 15,277 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:08 PM

Possibly. I really think you're going to have trouble meeting the numbers, though. The smallest party I've seen work was only two players, but that was a custom session with an experienced GM who adjusted things on the fly. For a noob GM, with noob players, I don't think you're going to get away with less than four: two tanks, a cleric, and a thief - and those tanks can be fighter, barbarian, ranger, paladin, warlock, or some multiclass that can take a pounding. If you can put together 4 people who want to play and haven't, then I can find a DMG.

#7 Sir_Substance

Sir_Substance

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 15,739 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:08 PM

If you can put together 4 people who want to play and haven't, then I can find a DMG.

Fair enough, I'll see what I can do.

#8 Kommando

Kommando

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 15,070 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:39 PM

If i was in adelaide i'd run a game for you. any game. except 4th. Eclipse Phase, Pathfinder, Mutants and masterminds, D&D, Traveller, Paranoia...
"You are richest by doing what you enjoy the most" -Skull

#9 Cybes

Cybes

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 15,277 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:31 AM

If i was in adelaide i'd run a game for you. any game. except 4th.

Seems like 4th ed alienated a large segment of the fanbase. Personally, it's rather too samey for my liking (everyone is essentially the same - it's just the special effects that varies), but it's a whole lot easier to understand than some previous editions. Like, say, 2e. ;P

#10 f00

f00

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:56 PM

Most games I've been in take around 6 - 18 months of regular (weekly) meetups (around 5/6 hours a go) to complete. D&D is meant to be a game played over a period of time. Players gain a level every few months; Maybe even less. DM would need to be very well versed in all the rules of D&D, and own the various books. Also, all players should have, and have read at a minimum the rulebook for the game you are playing. Would love to play, but can't afford the time atm :( Otherwise, you can join a game at that Game shop in railway arcade? Groups are always looking for players. Cheers, Wade Oh, and start with 4th Edition. Don't bother about the earlier editions if you are new. 4th is nice and simplified, and relatively easy to get into.

#11 Kommando

Kommando

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 15,070 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:03 PM

Oh, and start with 4th Edition. Don't bother about the earlier editions if you are new. 4th is nice and simplified, and relatively easy to get into.

No sharp edges, soft rounded dice, fuzzy textures and pastel colours.

Posted Image

Its familiar, because its WoW.

Edited by Kommando, 27 October 2011 - 01:11 PM.

#12 stadl

stadl

Apprentice

• Super Hero
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:47 PM

I'm not interested in getting back into playing, but I have a bunch of 2nd Edition books (Handbook, DM's guide, Monstrous manual etc) if you choose that edition and people need some books to go around.

A device so simple that it took a mind as brilliant as mine to create it! So brilliant, in fact, that simply by harnessing the power of one live frog, it... it... uhh... <poke> <poke> ... World domination has encountered a momentary setback. Talk amongst yourselves.

#13 Cybes

Cybes

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 15,277 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:48 PM

Dude, nobody in their right mind would choose 2e. ;)

#14 Xen

Xen

Charge

• Atomican
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:54 PM

Damn you all for living down south... Wants to play too :(

#15 Sir_Substance

Sir_Substance

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 15,739 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:04 PM

What's wrong with 2e?

I don't mind complex rules if they are good rules that make logical sense. They annoy me far less then removing sensible rules to dumb the game down. (I'm looking at you, warhammer 40k 4th edition, and your alarming lack of target priority rules).

#16 Cybes

Cybes

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 15,277 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:57 PM

I don't mind complex rules if they are good rules that make logical sense.

That right there is the crux of the argument.

#17 Kommando

Kommando

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 15,070 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:05 PM

Damn you all for living down south...

Wants to play too :(

Brisbane here dude.

#18 stadl

stadl

Apprentice

• Super Hero
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:04 AM

It's the only edition or any paper RPG I have ever played - I didn't mind the complexity etc, but then I never knew anything else.

A device so simple that it took a mind as brilliant as mine to create it! So brilliant, in fact, that simply by harnessing the power of one live frog, it... it... uhh... <poke> <poke> ... World domination has encountered a momentary setback. Talk amongst yourselves.

#19 Xen

Xen

Charge

• Atomican
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:42 AM

Damn you all for living down south...

Wants to play too :(

Brisbane here dude.

Fine damn you for living up north :)

#20 Cybes

Cybes

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 15,277 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:58 PM

It's the only edition or any paper RPG I have ever played - I didn't mind the complexity etc, but then I never knew anything else.

Ok. As a guide then, I would rather play Rolemaster than D&D2e.

I've heard it said that 2e was where the 'magic' of D&D was. I agree. You had to use magic in order to navigate the rules! ;P

For my money, 3e was a whole lot better, and 3.5 was the best they've done yet.

Actually, I've had more fun playing the Whitewolf games (particularly Vampire, and to a lesser extent, Werewolf) than D&D. That could well be down to the guy we had GMing, as much as anything. I've played more D&D than any other system, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users