• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Dump

Mr Dump

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 450 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:37 AM

Hi all, I started an engineers job about 6 months ago, and am just running into the requirement of following code to sort out problems. (I am working with car engine controllers.) The software is written in C, and is neatly set out, but I am really slow at reverse engineering the flow, and worse, very capable of making errors, so I thought that to save time it would be better and, importantly, much more accurate to get something that produces a decent flowchart, so I can spend that saved time on investigating the problem rather than developing code reading skill. So if you have had any contact with something that works i'd dig any suggestions. yours in code crawling, dt

#2 alexdtree

alexdtree

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 544 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:26 AM

Check out both Smartdraw and Visio. i used visio last year for a software course and its a pretty nice application. never used smartdraw though just came up when i searched for visio so might be worth looking at.
Slyblackninja

#3 Mr Dump

Mr Dump

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 450 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 12:52 PM

Check out both Smartdraw and Visio. i used visio last year for a software course and its a pretty nice application.
never used smartdraw though just came up when i searched for visio so might be worth looking at.

thanks! \checking...ohh, sorry thats not really what I'm after, what I need is something I can pipe c code into and it auto generates a flowchart. I am using a demo of 'code visual to flowchart' and it is alright, but the generated flowcharts suck as far as zoom, pan, auto scale etc...code visual info

cheers, dt

Update:
so far crystal flow or viustin are the best lookers, but I'm hesitating at $250 a license....(at least I get to play with them for 10 days...)
Also I did find a free one on sourceforge called 'algoview' and that is just the bones, with not very neat formatting, but .... it is free!

Edited by Mr Dump, 04 December 2011 - 04:54 PM.

#4 SledgY

SledgY

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 917 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:19 PM

Also check out Dia. Not as wanky as Visio, but it does the trick.
poweredbypenguins.org - SledgY lives in the cloud...

#5 Xen

Xen

Charge

• Atomican
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:47 PM

Also look into the dot "programming" language, It seems the whole purpose for it is to create flowcharts and diagrams Edit: i put quotes around "programming" in describing dot, its not *really* a programming language more of a computer readable descriptive language like puppet script.

Edited by Xen, 05 December 2011 - 12:48 PM.

如诸佛尽寿不杀生, 我亦尽寿不杀生 如诸佛尽寿不偷盗, 我亦尽寿不偷盗 如诸佛尽寿不妄语, 我某甲亦尽寿不妄语

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users