• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 thebac73

thebac73

Éclair

• Atomican
  • 3,346 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:38 PM

Hi All, After either an ADSL 2+ modem or a router that will allow me to connect one or two external hdd's for bit torrent downloading; Any recommendations? The Netgear DGND3700 looks pretty good but would like to see what you guys recommend. Cheers.

#2 aliali

aliali

Canelé

• Super Hero
  • 23,477 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:06 PM

Off hand don't know of any routers or modems with inbuilt torrent clients. However a quick google suggest the Asus WL-700gE may do what you want.
She's going to be really smart, very savvy, haunting good looks, really good at her job. And kind of slutty.

#3 Zzozzach

Zzozzach

Éclair

• Atomican
  • 3,250 posts
  • Interests:I love torrenting MAME and Pinball emulators. One day I may even use the software.<br /><br />*****<br /><br />Queensland Fire and Rescue Service auxiliary firefighter:<br />Don't play with matches, only WORKING smoke alarms save lives, if your clothes are on fire then stop, drop, and roll.<br /><br />It's the greatest job in the world. Our best days happen when someone else is having their worst one. It feels good to help.<br /><br />*****<br /><br />My day job is primarily concerned with networking and Internet related technologies.<br /><br />I'm an email expert: if you want to send a lot of email, talk to me. I know people.<br /><br />If you have a question related to sending or receiving email, ask me and I can probably help.

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:18 PM

Can't the DD-WRT homebrew firmware have a torrent client added? I seem to recall seeing that somewhere but I can't find it again.
The poster formerly known as Chazzozz. * Still an enthusiastic Opera user. Try it, you'll like it: http://www.opera.com/download/ * I love torrenting MAME and Pinball emulators. One day I may even use the software.

#4 aliali

aliali

Canelé

• Super Hero
  • 23,477 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:20 PM

Can't the DD-WRT homebrew firmware have a torrent client added? I seem to recall seeing that somewhere but I can't find it again.

Think it may be the Tomato version that can have that, although you still need a router that can accept a usb external hard drive.
She's going to be really smart, very savvy, haunting good looks, really good at her job. And kind of slutty.

#5 Zzozzach

Zzozzach

Éclair

• Atomican
  • 3,250 posts
  • Interests:I love torrenting MAME and Pinball emulators. One day I may even use the software.<br /><br />*****<br /><br />Queensland Fire and Rescue Service auxiliary firefighter:<br />Don't play with matches, only WORKING smoke alarms save lives, if your clothes are on fire then stop, drop, and roll.<br /><br />It's the greatest job in the world. Our best days happen when someone else is having their worst one. It feels good to help.<br /><br />*****<br /><br />My day job is primarily concerned with networking and Internet related technologies.<br /><br />I'm an email expert: if you want to send a lot of email, talk to me. I know people.<br /><br />If you have a question related to sending or receiving email, ask me and I can probably help.

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:59 PM

Think it may be the Tomato version that can have that, although you still need a router that can accept a usb external hard drive.

Hmmm...no, I don't think Tomato has it; at least, the doco doesn't mention it. Besides, Tomato has been posted to far less routers than DD-WRT.

I can't find mention of torrent clients in the DD-WRT doco, either, so scratch that idea as a useful suggestion.

Edited by Zzozzach, 07 December 2011 - 03:00 PM.

The poster formerly known as Chazzozz. * Still an enthusiastic Opera user. Try it, you'll like it: http://www.opera.com/download/ * I love torrenting MAME and Pinball emulators. One day I may even use the software.

#6 well, yeah...

well, yeah...

Snotblock

• Lurker
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

I just grabbed the Asus RT-N15U router for my sisters home business/office. So far, so very very good. Her house/office is multi-level and my previous attempts with Apple's Airport Extreme failed hard! The N51 can support up to 4 separate SSID's which is great as she has her own personal SSID, her business SSID and a guest SSID that has no access to anything else on the network. The signal range is great, as I've been able to remove the repeaters from upstairs. Also, I've been able to make a "makeshift" NAS by hooking up an external 2TB hard drive to the USB ports on the router, which makes sharing all their work junk obviously easier. Also setting up the printer with the router was dead simple.

As for the torrent downloading, I havent tested that, but the router has surpassed my expectations so far, so maybe have a look. - http://www.asus.com....Routers/RTN15U/

EDIT: Also just found this. $20 Visa card redemption - http://event.asus.co...12/cashback15u/

Just put mine in!

Edited by well, yeah..., 03 April 2012 - 11:10 AM.

#7 Genders

Genders

Croissant

• Atomican
  • 841 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

I like DD-WRT. Used it my my Cisco WRT120N which crapped out and wouldn't connect to the net. Flashed with their firmware and it's been great since. I've used the Cisco X3000 recently. Seems pretty decent.

Edited by Genders, 03 April 2012 - 01:21 PM.

BF3: GENDERS | STEAM: -MINION- | DESURA: -MINION- Intel i5 3570k | Corsair H50 | Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H rev 1.1 | Corsair 8GB Vengeance PC3 12800 | Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce| 4x WD250GB | RAID10 | CORSAIR 650watt | LANCOOL PC-K62 | Logitech G110 & MX518 | LG IPS237L-BN | WD Elements 1TB Ext |

#8 SledgY

SledgY

Croissant

• Atomican
  • 917 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:20 PM

Fritzbox maybe? I've been very impressed with mine. Easy to use, stable as, very well featured.
poweredbypenguins.org - SledgY lives in the cloud...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users