• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mr harrow

mr harrow

Titan

• Quark
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:14 PM

Edited by mr harrow, 12 February 2012 - 09:00 AM.

#2 GTAV6

GTAV6

Journeyman

• Hero
  • 6,587 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:57 PM

dude... "Comic Sans MS" - seriously?! as for everything else (on all three sites), i'm not really qualified to comment - but; - the forum looks exactly like what it is, a generic forum. - i think your comic book site needs some more thought (aside the choice of font...), perhaps a slightly more imaginative layout, more in keeping with the style of the product you're selling. also, i presume you've got some sort of ok to use that background image on a 'commercial' site? - your personal site has potential, though.

Attention: This post does not possess a brain - Please use your own.

http://www.thexman.net.nz/

#3 mr harrow

mr harrow

Titan

• Quark
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:21 PM

Edited by mr harrow, 12 February 2012 - 09:00 AM.

#4 mr harrow

mr harrow

Titan

• Quark
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:38 AM

Edited by mr harrow, 12 February 2012 - 08:59 AM.

#5 GTAV6

GTAV6

Journeyman

• Hero
  • 6,587 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:09 AM

I'm not after styling critiques so much as functionality critiques...

well, like i said, i'm not really qualified - i'm pretty much all style no substance :o)

try "Anime Ace" instead of Comic Sans. however, i do take aboard you comments about keeping things simple - and using a non-generic font will mean using a system such as @font-face (font squirrel will create a kit for you), so it'd be understandable if you didn't want to be bothered mucking around with all that.

your forum page is actually fine - when i said "generic", it wasn't necessarily a bad thing. at the end of the day, a forum is primarily about function and most users will not be too worried about how pretty it is, as long as it's tidy and they can find their way around.

on your personal site, try this; at the moment, your #wrapper is transparent. instead, change it to background: rgba(000, 000, 000, .5); - you'll be amazed at what a difference that makes to the legibility of your text. however, if you do decide to run with that, you may want to consider using a 1px translucent .png instead, as rgba is still not totally supported by all browsers yet.

Attention: This post does not possess a brain - Please use your own.

http://www.thexman.net.nz/

#6 kikz

kikz

Learner

• Hero
  • 19,276 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:17 AM

I'm not a fan of isellcomicbooks.com. I wouldn't have made the home page look like a blog. The pod on the right hand side that links through to your shop front is small, uninspiring and missable. I also think the standard template look of it is boring.

#7 mr harrow

mr harrow

Titan

• Quark
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:45 AM

#8 mr harrow

mr harrow

Titan

• Quark
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:14 AM

#9 kikz

kikz

Learner

• Hero
  • 19,276 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:28 PM

I put what you're trying to sell on the front page, above the fold (ie when the page first loads, the content that is immediately visible is above the fold - no scrolling required). Perhaps you could use a carousel to display the categories (if you have too many to fit all on one page). And another carousel/feature rotator for particular issues you're featuring. You want as little clicks as possible from hitting the home page to buying the item, IMO.

#10 mr harrow

mr harrow

Titan

• Quark
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:27 PM

#11 SledgY

SledgY

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 917 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:18 AM

Go with OpenCart unless you want to start pulling out your hair doing a template... Magento is a great platform, but is let down by a real lack of documentation as well as requiring a lot of memory to perform effectively.
poweredbypenguins.org - SledgY lives in the cloud...

#12 mr harrow

mr harrow

Titan

• Quark
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:44 AM

Edited by mr harrow, 12 February 2012 - 08:58 AM.

#13 harhis23

harhis23

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 365 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:27 AM

Your gaming forum is really clean and neat. It's easy on the eyes. The second one is also neat but I just don't like dark background and light fonts, it's subjective though. The same goes with the third site. Proper SEO and constant posting will improve these sites' ranking.

#14 mr harrow

mr harrow

Titan

• Quark
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:02 AM

Edited by mr harrow, 12 February 2012 - 08:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users