• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Mr.Twinkie

Mr.Twinkie

Charge

• Atomican
  • 3,253 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:43 AM

I wanna develop this logo called 'Twinky Productions' to be used in the prelude to a video I'm gonna make but I'm not sure how to make one optimally. What do you guys use to design and create your logos?

"Ignorance is a luxury that you cannot afford"

-somebody

#2 g0t.w00t?

g0t.w00t?

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 6,329 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:51 PM

over 9000 hours in MSPaint

Quote by hectorbustnuts --- WHAT THE FUCK IS A "PUFFY VAG"!?
http://valid.canardp....php?id=1777609
5GHz 4790K - http://i975.photobuc...h1986/7-214.png

#3 .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Hero

• Mod
  • 20,010 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:54 PM

I use Inkscape, then do any touch-ups in Paint.NET.

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.” - Mark Twain

An open mind is willing to consider new ideas, while provisionally accepting those backed by empirical evidence, and provisionally rejecting those without.

#4 moofactory

moofactory

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 7,446 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:18 PM

depends if its only ever going to be in video or not. if so photoshop or gimp or anything you can find to use. if printing and putting on other things. illustrator.

Edited by moofactory, 19 December 2011 - 12:19 PM.

#5 17

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 696 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:32 PM

Usually, a logo pretty much implies use of vector images, so Inkscape and Illustartor are your go to programs. It means that you can scale and edit and modify the logo for any possible situation/usage. If it's only ever going to be in one video though, use MS Paint or up (PS, Gimp, Paint.NET, etc) and create it at 3840 x 2160 pixels.
GA-UD3P-LR | E8600 @4.35Ghz | 8GB Corsair Dominator-GT | GTX 770 | TRUE 120 Copper + 2x Scythe Ultra Kaze 2000 | 256GB Crucial M4 + 2TB + 1.5TB | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W | Cosmos S | Windows 7 64-bit

#6 harhis23

harhis23

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 365 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:30 AM

Photoshop will do the job well for you as long as you know the basics and proper layering, you'll be just fine. Don't look too much for software that may be new to you. Photoshop will give you anything you need.

#7 Ezkaton

Ezkaton

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:01 PM

I tried Illustrator once, and to me it kinda felt like a gimped Photoshop. So Photoshop gets my vote.

#8 17

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 696 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:27 AM

I tried Illustrator once, and to me it kinda felt like a gimped Photoshop.

So Photoshop gets my vote.

Haha, calling Illustrator a gimped Photoshop is so wrong... You've only tried it once, and even then by trying to think it was Photoshop.

Although I guess you could say Illustrator is a gimped Photoshop for rastor and Photoshop is a gimped Illustrator for vector.

Actually I dislike the use of the word 'gimped' since GIMP is actually another popular image editing program...

Anyway, apples and bananas dude :P
GA-UD3P-LR | E8600 @4.35Ghz | 8GB Corsair Dominator-GT | GTX 770 | TRUE 120 Copper + 2x Scythe Ultra Kaze 2000 | 256GB Crucial M4 + 2TB + 1.5TB | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W | Cosmos S | Windows 7 64-bit

#9 Mr.Twinkie

Mr.Twinkie

Charge

• Atomican
  • 3,253 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:33 AM

Yeah Photoshop seems pretty adequate and the more I learn it from the more it the better given many people use it these days as a standard.

"Ignorance is a luxury that you cannot afford"

-somebody

#10 xsv

xsv

Guru

• Quark
  • 85 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:06 PM

Logos should be done in vector format, therefore: Illustrator. You never know when you have to resize it for something massive. If you do it in photoshop you already set the maximum resolution (which if you need to use for anything bigger, you have to recreate it if you want good quality).. whereas in vector, you can literally resize it to anything without quality loss. You can always export it into photoshop afterwards.. LOL and calling illustrator a gimped version of photoshop.. you do know that they're both created by the same company right? They both do 2 very different but very similar things, you'll see what I mean one day. Practice and you'll see it's potential :)

#11 tingod

tingod

Immortal

• Quark
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:41 PM

Quark has it in one. Illustrator is the program of choice, infinitely scalable with out loss of of image quality. The right tool for the right job.
FAITH enemy of reason

#12 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

Aren't we really limited to Illustrator or QuarkExpress in the vector format software these days?
Resident KatyCat Smartphone: HTC Trophy T8686 - WP 7.10.8107.79 (aka Mango updated) Netbook: ASUS EEE PC 1015PN - Win7 Pro, Intel N550@1.5Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB WD SATA, nVidia ION2 Laptop: Win8 Home x64, Intel i5-430 @ 2.26Ghz, 4GB RAM, 240GB Corsair SSD, nVidia Geforce GT310 1GB Work PC: Win7 Pro x86, Intel Q9550@2.83Ghz, 4GB RAM, 2 x 250GB SATA, nVidia Quadro FX1700, 600W PSU

#13 Genisis X

Genisis X

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 5,869 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:17 PM

If it's just for a movie then you can use pretty much anything. If you were designing it professionally then you can't beat Illustrator. I'd use PS because I know how to use it. -X
"We were being told that we must become what we are not, sacrificing what we are to inherit the masquerade of what we will be. I was being told to accept the identity that others will give me. And I wondered, what made my dreams so easy to dismiss?" Shane Koyczan

#14 mikeop

mikeop

Colossus

• Lurker
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

Photoshop or GIMP if you want free software IMO is best solutions.

#15 moofactory

moofactory

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 7,446 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:51 PM

Aren't we really limited to Illustrator or QuarkExpress in the vector format software these days?

Flash does vector, so does InDesign, so does corel draw probibly.. but then technicly so is MS word if your talking about text.

But none of which (except for corel draw) are for logo design.
Illustrator (or corel if you must) is the only decent logo design tool on the market.

Quark express and Indesign are both document publishing apps.
Quark is dead as far as im concerned.

#16 jolyv

jolyv

Colossus

• Lurker
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

GIMP AND INKSCAPE
what is pos

Edited by jolyv, 20 April 2012 - 01:39 PM.

#17 SledgY

SledgY

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 917 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:06 PM

or Inkscape, I've done most of my (very limited) range of logo's in Inkscape.

In the end use a vector graphics tool, Photoshop or Gimp are both are great pieces of software but are not suited for the creation of logos.
poweredbypenguins.org - SledgY lives in the cloud...

#18 sociopath

sociopath

Titan

• Quark
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:16 PM

Got this amazing set of tools. I swear by them... It's called a graph-pad and pencil. Design it on paper first - it's faster and easier to draw by hand. The grid pattern in the graph pad helps you with dimension, proportion and perspective. When you have a design(s) you are happy with, scan it into Illustrator or similar and use the pen tool to create a vector.
Hey hey...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users