• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 colinak

colinak

Serf

• Lurker
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:55 PM

I've just built my new gaming machine with many thanks to Atomic's hardware reviews and Kitlog to assist me with parts; and just wanted to know if I should be loading my games onto my SSD or HDD? My system specs are below: AsusP8Z68-V PRO-GEN3 motherboard Thermaltake Overseer Full Tower Sony AD7280SGB 22x SATA OEM DVD RW Intel Core i7 2600k LGA1155 3.4GHz CPU Noctua NH-U12P SE2 Heatsink Corsair Vengeance Low Profile DDR3 16G OCZ 240G RevoDrive 3 x2 PCI-E SSD WD 600G SATA6 Velociraptor HDD Gigabyte GTX 570 OC PCI-E 2.0 1280MB DDR5 Corsair HX-850ATX PSU Creative SB X-FI Titanium PCI-E Fatality Pro Benq E2420HD 24" Wide 2ms monitor (HDMI/ DVI/ D-Sub with speakers) Creative Inspire T3130 2.1 speakers Tt eSports Challenger Ultimate keyboard & Black Element gaming mouse
So many games, so little time to play them.........and my wife's evil stare ;)

#2 TheSingularity

TheSingularity

Master

• Atomican
  • 974 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:47 PM

Considering you have two at 240GB sizes I suggest installing it on the SSD, should make the games boot up faster (well the ones that don't need a DVD anyway) and might increase singleplayer load times. People usually suggest installing things onto your HDD because it is larger then most SSDs and the SSD is usually reserved for your OS. Also I'm assuming you installed your OS to your SSD which is the main use of SSDs as well because it makes the OS more responsive when opening certain things under the OS's control. Oh by the way very nice system.

Edited by thesingularity, 15 January 2012 - 10:56 PM.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Salvor Hardin, Foundation Series, Isaac Asimov

#3 GL0Be

GL0Be

Guru

• Hero
  • 11,361 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:23 AM

OCZ 240G RevoDrive 3 x2 PCI-E SSD WOW! that is some pretty serious hardware there. I also use a Revodrive but its not the 3 x2 monster, and to be honest I have all my games on a SATA 6GB/s HDD and they hammer along just perfectly. I got a 120GB version of the Revo and it handles my OS and that's it. I've used 25.5GB and have 86.1GB free which suits me just fine. You can put your games on the SSD, you've obviously got the room, but realistically I don't think any game on the market is going to make the Revodrive 3 x2 break a slight sweat. Its a monster. Load times? With my Revo I didn't notice any massive improvement with load times tbo. Yes a little quicker, but nothing like the load times an OS experiences with the difference between a SSD and a HDD. Its a hard one, you've got the room with 240GB, so why not? Then again, I don't think you will see massive improvements gaming wise, so .... Either way, whether you put your games on it or not, you've still got some VERY serious hardware there in the Revo 3x2 and your OS will be the main benefactor.

#4 fajw

fajw

Useless waste of 0s and 1s

• Banned
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:35 AM

Put your games on the SSD until you run out of space.

I also use a Revodrive but its not the 3 x2 monster, and to be honest I have all my games on a SATA 6GB/s HDD and they hammer along just perfectly.

How are you measuring perfection?

#5 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,846 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:00 AM

+1 to having as many of the games you play on the ssd as possible when i had a 120g ssd i removed the os from it and reinstalled windows to the hdd to make room for more games as its mainly what i used the pc for now im using a cache so windows is quick and frequently used games are quick to trouble is i swap between games to quick for a 60g cache to really keep up but the games still load a bit quicker than they would have and i dont want to spend the cash on a 500g ssd

Edited by Dasa, 16 January 2012 - 09:03 AM.

Silverstone TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2100\9600MHz  -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme  - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
3770k vs 6700k RAM Scaling, HT vs RAM, Arma III CPU vs RAM, Thief CPU vs RAM
Parts Guide

#6 colinak

colinak

Serf

• Lurker
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:27 AM

Thanks all for the advice and comments. Yep, OS is on SSD. The one problem I had was working out how to access the HDD. I eventually found the hardware management file in control panel, and remembered I had to allocate a drive letter there & quick format, plus making it active. What a relief that was. It was driving me nuts until I had my blonde eureka moment lol. This has been my dream machine for 2yrs now and this past Xmas I finally had the money to get the parts and build it. I ummed & arred about the Revo drive for a while due to the cost ($739 at UMart, Milton, Brisbane - the cheapest!). In the end I just couldn't resist getting it given the reviews. I did a bit of downgrading on my wish list getting a 850 PSU instead of the Corsair 1200PSU, and decided to only get one PCI-E graphics card instead of two, 24" monitor instead of 27" to save on overall spending. I had hoped to get the Gigabyte G1 Sniper 2 motherboard, but they were sold out everywhere. Took me a bit of fiddling to work out the whole SSD & HDD combo; and had to remove the heatsink & CPU, then refit it (thank-you Atomic edition 131 troublshooting) as it wasn't recognising the ram at first. But all is good now! I can now finally play Mass Effect 2 for the first time in prep for ME3! Whoohoo :D
So many games, so little time to play them.........and my wife's evil stare ;)

#7 GL0Be

GL0Be

Guru

• Hero
  • 11,361 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:34 PM

Put your games on the SSD until you run out of space.

I also use a Revodrive but its not the 3 x2 monster, and to be honest I have all my games on a SATA 6GB/s HDD and they hammer along just perfectly.

How are you measuring perfection?

Measuring? I aint measuring mate. Just guessimates really.

#8 Mac Dude

Mac Dude

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 36,561 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:08 AM

Something you may consider :

Just a suggestion for performance/efficiency: During your first installation, leave approximately 10 to 15 percent of the RevoDrive unformatted and unused. This manual OP will help the efficiency of built-in garbage collection and when necessary this manual OP can always be reclaimed within Windows.
Karl Kruszelnicki - No, I’m fully prepared to believe in the “Church of God the Utterly Indifferent who sets the universe going and says you’re on your own kids.

#9 mark84

mark84

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:29 AM

I run 2 SSD's and 2 HDDs in my main system. 120GB SSD for OS and apps, 256GB SSD for games, 2TB mirrored for mass storage. OS drive has lots of room left, and games drive is no where near full after all this time using it maybe 60% and that's with 10 odd games I don't play anymore and could uninstall. So with a single 256GB SSD you should be comfortable enough to have OS + apps + a few games without worrying too much about space. Just stick your photos and videos etc on separate HDD.

Desktop: i7 6850K @ 4.3GHz | Titan X (Pascal) | 32GB RAM | 120GB + 500GB SSDs | 2x 5TB HDD in RAID1

Server: G3258 @4.6GHz | 120GB SSD | 2x 4TB RAID1 | 2x 6TB RAID1

Desktop build log | Firefox AtomicMPC Menu | The Truth About Graphics Power Requirements V2 | CPU bench league

www.atomicsimracing.net - The place for Atomicans who love motor sports and sim racing.

#10 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,846 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:35 PM

I run 2 SSD's and 2 HDDs in my main system. 120GB SSD for OS and apps, 256GB SSD for games, 2TB mirrored for mass storage.

OS drive has lots of room left, and games drive is no where near full after all this time using it maybe 60% and that's with 10 odd games I don't play anymore and could uninstall.

So with a single 256GB SSD you should be comfortable enough to have OS + apps + a few games without worrying too much about space. Just stick your photos and videos etc on separate HDD.

thats fine for most people unfortunately i would want more than 240g from my currently played games
i was able to fit less than half what i was playing on a 120g ssd which was ~7 games
but then most people have a life outside of gaming

Silverstone TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2100\9600MHz  -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme  - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
3770k vs 6700k RAM Scaling, HT vs RAM, Arma III CPU vs RAM, Thief CPU vs RAM
Parts Guide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users