• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 martyr

martyr

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:51 PM

Hi all, Apologies if I have missed something simple as I do not have alot of networking knowledge... Operating System: Windows XP SP3 Router: TP-Link TL-WR941ND I'm pretty much the go-to guy in my family if there are computer questions/problems. But, my knowledge is self learned and extends to building systems and trial and error to fix things when they go wrong. This problem has got me stumped. 12 months ago I set up a wireless router between my mother's bigpond router and her computer (i.e. wall -> bigpond modem -> wireless router -> desktop computer (via cat5)) as there was also a work laptop which was to be used from home and needed the mobility of using it in multiple places in the house, she has since also purchased an ipad. The computer is connected via cat5 to the wireless router. Previously both laptop and ipad have worked with no issues via wireless. On Monday an interesting thing happened where all of a sudden the wireless internet did not work, and when mum tried the internet on the wired desktop computer this did not work either. A couple of times in the past there have been outages at Telstra's end so after several hours on the phone to bigpond support and no success, mum decided to call me in. After a couple of minutes i narrowed it down to the wireless router. If the Bigpond modem is connected directly to the computer internet works and there are no problems. However, as soon as the wireless router is introduced to the network the access to the internet does not pass through to the computer. Strangely, it does appear as though it is connected in the network centre and the little network icon shows up in the start bar. Here's where it gets tricky. On mum's computer I cannot access the wireless router using the usual 192.168.1.1 and using ipconfig produces only the bigpond router ip 10.0.0.168 (or thereabouts) - and a subnet mask (i think) 255.255.255.0 (sorry bare with me I'm now at my house and don't have access to her computer and am working from memory). I have then reset the Wireless router to factory defaults (hard reset) and tried reinserting it between the telstra modem and computer but with no success, same result. I took the wireless modem and tried attaching it to my computer and it picks it up straight away with the address 192.168.1.1. I went into the settings and through the software reset all settings to factory default. Returning to mum's tonight I tried putting the router between the telstra router and the computer again (all attached by cat5) but had the same result with there being no internet access. I now have the router with me at home but will not get back to mum's till maybe the weekend. Does anyone have any suggestions or any advice for me which I can try when I go back? or any idea of settings I should be messing with in the wireless router while I have it with me. Any help would be greatly appreciated as her solution is to go out and buy a new one, but i'm not sure that will work given that this one works at my house but not at hers? Many thanks for any advice you may have.
Q6600@3.00Ghz/Prolimatech Megahalems w/ Coolermaster 2000RPM 19Dba FAN/Corsair 4x2GB 800Mhz DDR2/Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P/Inno3D GTX580 1.5Gb/OCZ Agility 3 240Gb/Corsair TX-750/Antec 900

#2 aliali

aliali

Learner

• Super Hero
  • 23,532 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:05 AM

Sounds like you are double natting the network. This is bad, bad, bad, bad.
Assuming the TL-WR941ND does not have an AP only mode you have to log in to the TL-WR941ND, set up the wireless security, give it a fixed IP within the range of the modem it is being connected too (10.0.x.x generally for Bigpond modems) then disable all routing services. Mainly this means turning off DHCP and any firewalling.
You then connect it up to the ADSL modem by connecting LAN1 to the modem not the WAN port. Then other PCs connect via ethernet or wireless.
Alternatively log in to the Bigpond modem and set it to bridge mode (makes it a dumb modem), connect the TL-WR941ND's WAn port to the modem, connect a PC to the TL-WR941ND and set the TL-WR941ND up to do the ADSL connection stuff.
Best solution for your mum? Get her either a bigpond approved Home Network Gateway http://go.bigpond.co...ans-HomeNetwork (makes Bigpond support a bit easier)
or buy a wireless modem router like the TP-Link TD-W8960N, Billion 7700N, 7800NL or 7800N (if you think she needs gigabit LAN).
Then set it up with here Bigpond account details and swap out the Bigpond modem for it.
She's going to be really smart, very savvy, haunting good looks, really good at her job. And kind of slutty.

#3 martyr

martyr

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:56 AM

Thanks mate. Will give yr first suggestion a shot. Funny thing networks, works fine for 12 months then decides it doesn't want to play nicely anymore. Cheers
Q6600@3.00Ghz/Prolimatech Megahalems w/ Coolermaster 2000RPM 19Dba FAN/Corsair 4x2GB 800Mhz DDR2/Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P/Inno3D GTX580 1.5Gb/OCZ Agility 3 240Gb/Corsair TX-750/Antec 900

#4 martyr

martyr

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:27 PM

Finally sorted out the problem last week after being lazy for a few weeks. I think the old router just decided to not work completely after I messed around with settings, so pretty sure it was simply on its last legs. Problem solved by getting a new big pond wireless gateway to replace the old 2 units. Many thanks for your help aliali.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users