Photo

How would I add a search button to a webpage.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Director

Director

Lemon Tart

• Hero
  • 37,759 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:21 AM

I guess it's pretty easy if you know what you're doing, which i don't but I have a mate who wants to add a simple search bar to his page so that people can search on a word (duh) and it will do it's thing. I can PM the page to anyone who might be able to give some pointers, it's a pretty basic from what I can see but as I said, I know nuzink..I am capable of learning though. :) Thanks

"The most powerful tool in the hand of the opressor is the mind of the opressed."-- Steve Biko

#2 robzy

robzy

Lemon Tart

• Hero
  • 42,774 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:46 AM

http://www.google.com/cse/

Rob.

#3 Director

Director

Lemon Tart

• Hero
  • 37,759 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:10 AM

Thanks. Will that enable them to search for specific keywords on their page? Like if a person wanted to search for everything on the site related to 'fish' for example could they type 'fish' into that CSE that you linked to? Cheers

"The most powerful tool in the hand of the opressor is the mind of the opressed."-- Steve Biko

#4 robzy

robzy

Lemon Tart

• Hero
  • 42,774 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:01 PM

Thanks.

Will that enable them to search for specific keywords on their page? Like if a person wanted to search for everything on the site related to 'fish' for example could they type 'fish' into that CSE that you linked to?

Afaik, yes. I've never used it, so I can't provide any information on implementation, etc. But I bet if you ask someone will have more answers.

Rob.

#5 Director

Director

Lemon Tart

• Hero
  • 37,759 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:18 PM

OK cheers, I'll run it past them, they might not like the ads but who knows? If not I thought there'd be a quick bit of code I could add that would enable search on the particalr site...but then I know pretty much nothing about the subject too, might be a good time to start. ;) There's gotta be a websites for dummies page out there somewhere. Cheers

#6 amckern

amckern

Vanilla Slice

• Atomican
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:43 PM

is there some way you can embed a com control in the web page to use the browsers inbuilt find? (aka ctrl+f) I know back in the days of Windows 95, and the free version of front page that came with 95 plus there was an search element you could embed in the page that did the exact same thing.

Edited by amckern, 01 February 2012 - 08:45 PM.

Whats inside my SG06 Case? -Dust -i3 530 -Zotac H55 wifi ITX mobo -Seagate 1.0TB HDD -9800GT -4GB GeIL GV34GB1333C9DC

#7 kikz

kikz

Canelé

• Hero
  • 19,299 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:10 AM

what robzy said. Other than that there are numerous search plugins for different CMS's such as wordpress, umbraco, sitecore, and what not, each tailored to the way the particular CMS stores data. It would help if you could give that info. If it's just a basic html website, then use google.

#8 Director

Director

Lemon Tart

• Hero
  • 37,759 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

Yeah I forwarded that on and it's a definite possibility for them. AFAIK it's just a HTML website but like I said at the start, what I know about writing webpages you could fit into a box of matches...without taking out the matches. Like what's a CMS for e.g.? Or if anyone can point me to a website where complete dummies can go and learn to be l33t webmasters then that'd be appreciated too. Cheers

#9 amckern

amckern

Vanilla Slice

• Atomican
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:56 PM

Yeah I forwarded that on and it's a definite possibility for them. AFAIK it's just a HTML website but like I said at the start, what I know about writing webpages you could fit into a box of matches...without taking out the matches.

Like what's a CMS for e.g.?

Or if anyone can point me to a website where complete dummies can go and learn to be l33t webmasters then that'd be appreciated too.

Cheers

www.w3schools.com/
Whats inside my SG06 Case? -Dust -i3 530 -Zotac H55 wifi ITX mobo -Seagate 1.0TB HDD -9800GT -4GB GeIL GV34GB1333C9DC

#10 kikz

kikz

Canelé

• Hero
  • 19,299 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:39 PM

Or if anyone can point me to a website where complete dummies can go and learn to be l33t webmasters then that'd be appreciated too.

hehehe lololol.....

www.w3schools.com/

hhehehe lolololol ;) ur kidding rite? w3schools has been proven to suck.

Then you've got learning about SEO, Information Architecture, analytics, and all that stuff real webmasters do :)

Edited by kikz, 02 February 2012 - 02:42 PM.

#11 amckern

amckern

Vanilla Slice

• Atomican
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:08 PM

The altavista web master site is no longer around, so you have to suffer with stuff that sucks. When i was learning about web development you had xoom for your unlimited storage, and bandwidth, and alatvista for babble fish, and web master tools.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users