• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Girvo

Girvo

Learner

• Hero
  • 20,572 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:06 AM

Hey all, Got a 1st Gen MBA, C2D, 2Gb RAM, 80Gb HDD. It's in decent condition, and was cheap as chips, so I picked it up for playing with and running my radio show off it. Problem is, it's Leopard install was sooooo buggy it ran like shit, so I had to wipe it and put Elementary OS (Linux distro) on it to get it running in time for my show. I want to install Lion (or SL), and I was curious as to whether the Lion DMG (found in the App after downloading via the App Store) will be able to be installed over the top of the Linux distro? Basically, can I do what I'd normally do with windows and nuke the partition and get the OS to install on a clean HDD? I've read conflicting reports. Speaking of conflicting reports, does anyone have any idea how well Lion will run on this machine? It's not really used for much, just playing tracks, light web browsing, random coding on the go. I have my iMac for anything heavy. Thanks!
brains: NO U R RONG N00B VISTA IS 4 N00BZ N LINUX IS HIPPIE SHIT

#2 jdee71

jdee71

Charge

• Atomican
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:41 AM

you can make a bootable dvd or flashdrive out of the dmg file. MBA = flash drive.
http://lifehacker.co...-or-flash-drive
Once that is created, proceed with install

#3 Girvo

Girvo

Learner

• Hero
  • 20,572 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:00 AM

I've got a drive for the bastard, but cheers for that! I'm attempting to burn this DMG now, I'll let you know how it goes :)

#4 plebsmacker

plebsmacker

Learner

• Hero
  • 25,775 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:37 AM

After you boot from your install media (either dvd or usb) go to disk utilities on the top menu and format your hard disk as Mac OS Extended (journaled). ##never use Case Sensitive##
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

#5 Girvo

Girvo

Learner

• Hero
  • 20,572 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:59 AM

After you boot from your install media (either dvd or usb) go to disk utilities on the top menu and format your hard disk as Mac OS Extended (journaled).

##never use Case Sensitive##

Took me a bit to work that one out haha. For reference to anyone who ends up here via google yes you can install Mac OSX Lion on an MBA from a burnt DMG over the top of Linux, you just have to reformat the partition like plebs said.

Out of curiosity, why not case-sensitive? I didn't pick it because I remember that HFS+ can't technically handle it, so it must be an extension or something.

#6 plebsmacker

plebsmacker

Learner

• Hero
  • 25,775 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:09 PM

I chose it once and then when I went to install Adobe CS4 it wouldn't instal on a case sensitive formatted drive, so I wiped it and started again.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

#7 mudjimba

mudjimba

Champion

• Atomican
  • 180 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

I started to answer that but this explains it.

"Some file systems store filenames as specified when the files is created meaning files MyName and myname would be valid names for different files concurrently in the same directory. Those file systems are called "case-sensitive". Some of these filesystems include a parameter, specified when the filesystem is created, which allows references to files regardless of the case. For example a file named "FirstFile" can be referenced as "firstFile", "firstfile", etc."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filename

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users