• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tortured-X

Tortured-X

Bearclaw

• Atomican
  • 144 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:40 AM

so while searching for some smexy cheap 1600mhz ram i noticed something. every ripjaw kit i looked at seemed to say that they'll only work with i5/i7 and then only selected motherboards. it got me wondering, why? why can't the ram suited for an i5 board work on an amd board? yeh total nub question but in the middle of my 1st build so the thought just occurred

#2 joeygbh

joeygbh

Macaroon

• Lurker
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:52 AM

so while searching for some smexy cheap 1600mhz ram i noticed something.

every ripjaw kit i looked at seemed to say that they'll only work with i5/i7 and then only selected motherboards.

it got me wondering, why? why can't the ram suited for an i5 board work on an amd board?

Look at the voltages. Some are 1.65v as opposed to the typical 1.8-2.2v.

#3 nesquick

nesquick

Canelé

• Atomican
  • 19,783 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:08 AM

every ripjaw kit i looked at seemed to say that they'll only work with i5/i7 and then only selected motherboards.

it got me wondering, why? why can't the ram suited for an i5 board work on an amd board?

huh?

DDR3 is 1.3v~1.8v

as to the OP just buy whatever DDR3 you want, its a universal design in terms of compatibility, probably Intel paying them off to write that piece on only i5/i7 support.
STEAM/BC2 name: AllNightmareLong

#4 NukeJockey

NukeJockey

Canelé

• Hero
  • 23,615 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:33 AM

Typical? Most DDR3 is usually only 1.5v to 1.65v up to about 1.8v for the high performance stuff as nesquick said. Maybe you're thinking of DDR2?

There are some sticks of ram around, usually the cheaper stuff that is only rated for 1.5v though, I've heard some horror stories from people overvolting cheap 1.5v ram on older boards (nehalem is 1.65v by default vs sandys 1.5v for example) which might be why they're saying intel core i5/i7 only, but more likely than not, its just marketting, like nessy said.
My Rig: ASUS P67 Sabretooth | i5 2500k w/ Corsair H80 | 8gb G.Skill Ripjaw-X 1866mhz | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X| NZXT Phantom | Corsair HX850

#5 p0is0n

p0is0n

Trifle

• Atomican
  • 5,461 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:21 AM

I would check the memory compatibility list on your motherboard to be safe. Its not a definitive list by any means, but if the brand/model your considering isn't listed there at all I might look for something else. The price difference will be absolutely minimal.
i7 2600k | Z68A-GD80 | 8GB RAM | CF 7970 | 120GB SSD | 1kW PSU | Butchered Case | Water Cooling | U2713H HP N40L | 16GB RAM | 7x WD 2TB | Ubuntu | ZFS

#6 unco_tomato

unco_tomato

Vanilla Slice

• Atomican
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:53 AM

It's because that is all G.Skill tested that particular kit on. They will have a list of supported motherboards and CPU's that have been confirmed and working. If nothing from AMD is there it is because they didn't test it, not because it doesn't work. Why didn't they test on AMD? Intel gave them an incentive of sorts most likely. If you want to check your RAM works on your board, look on the manufacturers website. As mentioned your RAM may not appear on the list and may still work, the list simply contains sticks that have been tested, and your sticks may have not been on the market at the time of testing, or not from a large enough manufacturer. If you are concerned about RAM compatibility, buy Corsair or Kingston - both get nearly all of their RAM tested in motherbards. G.Skill on the other hand doesn't have the means or reach to get such thorough testing done. Also, the 1.5v kits aren't "cheap" they are just on a smaller process than older RAM sticks, and run a lower voltage. Even if your IMC on the motherboard runs 1.65v as standard, it should be able to run 1.5v with XMP enabled, or just by manually setting the voltage in BIOS yourself. I usually run my RAM on 1.35v when building a PC for family members, I also undervolt their GPU and CPU too if I have time. Saves on power by ~40-60W depending on the system.
Intel i5 3570 @ 4.5GHz - Gigabyte OC HD7970 @ 1150MHz - 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1866MHz - ASUS Maximus V Gene - Antec EA-650W Platinum - Fractal Design Define Mini - Noctua NH-U12P SE2 - 10TB Network Storage - OCZ Vertex 3 240GB (Steam) - Corsair Force GT 3 120GB (OS+BF3).

#7 p0is0n

p0is0n

Trifle

• Atomican
  • 5,461 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:21 PM

Following on from unco_tomato i've also heard that the 1.5v RAM is the way to go, and that 1.65v is slight over volt from JEDEC standards, usually to make cheaper memory work at the advertised speeds. Also bear in mind the JEDEC standard for max ddr3 frequency is 1333 so anything above that is technically overclocking. I can back this up in a way, i have some 2133 1.65v and its total crap in terms of room to move or tighten timings.

I found the link to the official standards if interested but you need to register to download.
http://www.jedec.org...docs/jesd-79-3d

Edited by p0is(+)n, 08 February 2012 - 01:22 PM.

i7 2600k | Z68A-GD80 | 8GB RAM | CF 7970 | 120GB SSD | 1kW PSU | Butchered Case | Water Cooling | U2713H HP N40L | 16GB RAM | 7x WD 2TB | Ubuntu | ZFS

#8 joeygbh

joeygbh

Macaroon

• Lurker
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:16 PM

Typical? Most DDR3 is usually only 1.5v to 1.65v up to about 1.8v for the high performance stuff as nesquick said. Maybe you're thinking of DDR2?

Could be mistaken. I'm sure I dropped in 1.8v Low profile DDR3 the other day - but then again, I may have remembered wrong from the DDR2 I installed the other week.

#9 Tortured-X

Tortured-X

Bearclaw

• Atomican
  • 144 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:56 AM

wow, a fella vanishes for a few days and all his questions are answered :)

i decided on These Badboys also checked the motherboard manual and it says they're supported.

but it's nice to know the atomic community is willing to help a complete and utter noob :)

thanks guys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users