45 replies to this topic

#1 Antraman

Antraman

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:03 PM

Heyas,

This photo is what I believe is a legitimate "ghost" photo. It was taken by a close colleague at my place of work, on December 14, 2011 at about 2am, with a Samsung Galaxy S2 phone camera. My colleague is a 22yo female with no computer, photoshop or camera skills whatsoever, so I cannot believe she faked this. Plus, knowing her as I do, I cannot believe she would want to fake it. In fact, this and other photos she took on that evening rather freaked her out a bit.

For now, I have to keep the location private due to Work Agreement requirements (our site rules are no unauthorised photography), suffice to say it is a famous Brisbane landmark building undergoing some restoration work....I am looking into the options for making this photo publicly and legitimately available. My colleague (and I) are part of a security team that provides guarding duties at this building. On the night in question, my colleague was on duty, and she heard what she described as an unusual banging noise in the main part of the building. She went to investigate but could see nothing. She decided to take some photos, partly out of interest, partly due to recording the state of construction work in the area in case there is a question over damage on site. She took around 80 photos.

Next morning while going through the pics on her camera, this and about 4-5 other pics revealed some imagery that was not visible by the eye at the time the photographing was carried out.

Posted Image

I was on shift with her a couple of days later, and after showing a few people onsite, she was surprised to learn that this building actually has quite a history of ghost sightings, which she was not aware of beforehand. I had heard something only very general but one of the council staff associated with the project is an historian, and had a wide knowledge of sightings and deaths over the years connected with this building, including sightings of a "lady in a long white dress". This historian mentioned that all the known sightings were attributable to various deaths that had occurred in the building over the years, except for the lady in a long white dress. She said she would do a bit more research on the matter.

A week or so later when she came back to the site, and both myself and my colleague who took the photo were on the front desk. She had some info for us that she thought we would find very interesting. She learned that there was indeed a news report of a lady who had drowned in the swamp on which this building was built, years before the building was constructed. She was wearing a white dress. Not many people knew this at all...

So as an experiment, I asked my colleague to take some more photos of the same stairway, at the same time as the original, and from the same position and the same angle. She did so, and of course, nothing showed up. Just a stairwell.

I thought I would play around with the pic a bit in Lightroom, so I made a higher contrast copy, and a black and white copy, to see if it would make anything clearer. I think the colour enhanced copy is quite revealing...

Posted Image

Posted Image

So, trick of the light or what?
Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us...

#2 Caelum

Caelum

Titan

• Hero
  • 17,009 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:12 PM

Show some more photos, and i might make judgement. It seems too convenient that the light outside the frame above the photo is so bright, though.
6hax

#3 Antraman

Antraman

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:02 PM

I'll see if I can get copies, but they are not as good as this one.
Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us...

#4 Genisis X

Genisis X

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,951 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:24 PM

My bet is that it is a lens flare/dstortion type thing. If the 'ghost' wasn't aligned to the light above it I'd be less skeptical. -X
"We were being told that we must become what we are not, sacrificing what we are to inherit the masquerade of what we will be. I was being told to accept the identity that others will give me. And I wondered, what made my dreams so easy to dismiss?" Shane Koyczan

#5 drago13666

drago13666

Champion

• Atomican
  • 7,927 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:34 AM

I know the sign behind probably says no running on the stairs, but it did amuse me in the contexxt of this pic, No ghosts on the stairs perhapse?
Life, just like Schrödinger's cat, is both heaven and hell. It is only through death, when the true measure of our lives can be determinded, do we find out where we spend the rest of eternity.

#6 Antraman

Antraman

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:43 AM

Here is a pic from a similar angle at a later date, I note that there are similarities with the light flare from this and the original pic, however here, the light flare doesn't look anything like a lady in white...

My main criticism of the light flare explanation is that the left side of the whiter area is not dead straight, but curved with a dip in the central left side...the proper light flare on this pic has straight sides as you would expect.

Furthermore, this image was taken in daytime, and the light on the staircase is coming in from a window above, and that is what is creating the shadow from the hand rail down the right side of the stairs, which one could say is the same the original, however the original was taken at 2am so there was not light coming from a window which could cause the light - dark delineation down the right hand side. Also, in this photo you can see the flare edge down the right hand side as separate to the shadow of the handrail.
Posted Image

btw, I believe this image was taken with an HTC Desire...

Edited by Antraman, 05 February 2012 - 05:48 AM.

#7 basketballfreak6

basketballfreak6

Master

• Atomican
  • 795 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:37 PM

damn but yea too hard to say, tho i never rule out anything

#8 NukeJockey

NukeJockey

Titan

• Hero
  • 23,625 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:21 PM

So take another photo from the same spot, at 2am on the same camera and see what it looks like.
My Rig: ASUS P67 Sabretooth | i5 2500k w/ Corsair H80 | 8gb G.Skill Ripjaw-X 1866mhz | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X| NZXT Phantom | Corsair HX850

#9 Caelum

Caelum

Titan

• Hero
  • 17,009 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:51 PM

You can clearly see there is some light in the original photo, on the middle-left side... It may have looked close to dark from the human eye's perspective, but in some cases a camera lens is much more sensitive... That said, i wouldn't have picked a desire to be one.... Infact, the cause of the light flare in the first photo is due to artificial light coming from what appears to be an incandescent light below the window, which is causing the light flare in the daytime pic....
6hax

#10 orcone

orcone

Champion

• Atomican
  • 7,614 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:13 PM

I edited it a little more, something in the image but no idea what.

Posted Image

#11 Antraman

Antraman

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:34 PM

thats some interesting post processing you've done there orcone, what did you do? Caelum...there are no incandescent lights there, it is a single flouro. There is no window there either...its the interior of the building. The only light other than the fluoro in the photos is on the 4th photo, a daytime shot, where the light source is a window off over the photographer's right shoulder.

#12 MandoTiM

MandoTiM

Master

• Atomican
  • 757 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:31 PM

Spooky....
Stupidity is a condition, ignorance is a choice, don't make it... MandoTiM Asus P6T, Intel i-7 920, 24Gb mem, 3 Tb storage (after mirroring), silent Geforce 9600, Asus HD 5450 Silent, RME Multiface, NEC 27inch screen wide gamut, PS5 and Cubase 6 under Windows 7.

#13 NukeJockey

NukeJockey

Titan

• Hero
  • 23,625 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:47 PM

Antraman are you able to get another photo taken at 2am from the same spot again?
My Rig: ASUS P67 Sabretooth | i5 2500k w/ Corsair H80 | 8gb G.Skill Ripjaw-X 1866mhz | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X| NZXT Phantom | Corsair HX850

#14 Antraman

Antraman

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:48 AM

Antraman are you able to get another photo taken at 2am from the same spot again?

I will be able to in a week or two I think...

Edited by Antraman, 07 February 2012 - 10:14 AM.

#15 bushi

bushi

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,748 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:37 AM

..From a few different angles.
http://bfbc2.statsve...pc/squatter.png i7 875k | Intel DP55KG | 6GB G-Skill Pi | Inno3D GTX580 1GB | 120GB Intel 520 + 1.5TB (+ 1.5TB backup) Seagate | Pioneer BDR-206BK | Auzentech Prelude 7.1 | Hauppauge 2200 PVR | Corsair AX750 | Silverstone FT-02BW

#16 Antraman

Antraman

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:44 PM

..From a few different angles.

in glossy 10x8 with names clearly printed on the back?

#17 bushi

bushi

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,748 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:03 PM

Digital would be just fine.
http://bfbc2.statsve...pc/squatter.png i7 875k | Intel DP55KG | 6GB G-Skill Pi | Inno3D GTX580 1GB | 120GB Intel 520 + 1.5TB (+ 1.5TB backup) Seagate | Pioneer BDR-206BK | Auzentech Prelude 7.1 | Hauppauge 2200 PVR | Corsair AX750 | Silverstone FT-02BW

#18 unco_tomato

unco_tomato

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:21 PM

I would bet some money that you could replicate it again if you get the angle right. It's definitely a lighting error from the shitty filter in the camera-phone IMO. Not saying ghosts don't exist (don't want to get any spiritual people upset), but I don't think this is proof of their existence, or that this even really looks like much more than a simple flare. It could even be a bad piece of glass used in the camera that picks up the light different to other phones. Some good scientific testing and process of elimination should sort it all out and prove a glitch in photography.
Intel i5 3570 @ 4.5GHz - Gigabyte OC HD7970 @ 1150MHz - 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1866MHz - ASUS Maximus V Gene - Antec EA-650W Platinum - Fractal Design Define Mini - Noctua NH-U12P SE2 - 10TB Network Storage - OCZ Vertex 3 240GB (Steam) - Corsair Force GT 3 120GB (OS+BF3).

#19 NukeJockey

NukeJockey

Titan

• Hero
  • 23,625 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:10 AM

I would bet some money that you could replicate it again if you get the angle right. It's definitely a lighting error from the shitty filter in the camera-phone IMO.

Not saying ghosts don't exist (don't want to get any spiritual people upset), but I don't think this is proof of their existence, or that this even really looks like much more than a simple flare.

It could even be a bad piece of glass used in the camera that picks up the light different to other phones. Some good scientific testing and process of elimination should sort it all out and prove a glitch in photography.

Go away with your scientific methods and opinions! Its quite obvious that this is a ghost. :P

#20 p0is0n

p0is0n

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,461 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:41 AM

I will be able to in a week or two I think...

very interesting, i love how things like this challenge the mind. is it a ghost, are ghosts real, what else could it be.. *brain overdrive*
if you do go back, maybe bring your camera & try camera phone/real camera see what you can see.
maybe bring your ouija board too :)
i7 2600k | Z68A-GD80 | 8GB RAM | CF 7970 | 120GB SSD | 1kW PSU | Butchered Case | Water Cooling | U2713H HP N40L | 16GB RAM | 7x WD 2TB | Ubuntu | ZFS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users