• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 The Tick

The Tick

Hero

• Super Hero
  • 11,635 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

In the olden times, I used to use UBCD4WIN and Ghost to create disk images of systems prior to doing work on them which gave me a restore process should everything go pear shaped. Recently, I have been trying to resurrect this old process but am finding UBCD4WIN a PITA when it comes to detecting HDD controllers on newer systems. What is the general go these days to utilities that I can boot outside the OS to clone a HDD to a network location? Acronis don't seem to sell anything like this these days and unless I am reading their product catalogue wrong (which is entirely possible), their product licensing seems to be per machine which needs to be installed to the machine.

Disclaimer: this post may have been made via a mobile device. All formatting, grammar and the possible hilarious substitution of key words should be attributed to the autocorrect features of the mobile device and likely has nothing to do with the idiot driving it.

te0p:"Your a Unreal."

#2 CptnChrysler

CptnChrysler

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:22 PM

I use Clonezilla.
It's not pretty but it works great over my LAN.
Everyone's entitled to my opinion! I've got the T-Shirt to prove it.

#3 smakme7757

smakme7757

Charge

• Atomican
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:09 PM

Acronis don't seem to sell anything like this these days and unless I am reading their product catalogue wrong (which is entirely possible), their product licensing seems to be per machine which needs to be installed to the machine.

Acronis have changed their licensing structure so that it's per mashine (online internet activation). I got myself 2x Upgrade licenses to cover my main PCs, but in my oppinon it's just a waste of cash. Acronis 2011 does all the same imaging stuff as Acronis 2012 and it's license can be used on as many PCs as you want.

I won't be upgrading Acronis again and i'm just sticking with 2011 version and the two licenses i got for the current version 2012. Acronis TI 2012 is quite good though, i've had no problms with it dispite the bad feedback in the Acronis forums.

Edited by smakme7757, 10 February 2012 - 08:09 PM.

#4 A Hitman

A Hitman

Master

• Atomican
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:52 AM

I have actually been using windows 8 on an external HDD and Drive Image XML this week and it seem's to work quite well. But then this is on USB 3.0 computers so it might be a little slow on older machines.
not working is hard work

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users